4/26/2010-JH Court Appearance

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe someone will drop in that has legal knowledge.
I'm not sure if it's like a personal safety protective order or a protective order having to do with information getting out?

I have no clue.

This article says that Sheriff Beseler was by her side. No mention of her parents or of any JH family.

I'll agree with Diena that he is a coward, but not for the reason she gives. It's possible his attorney instructed him not to look at anyone.

I call him a coward because he murdered a 7 year old child. (JMO)

i really hadnt seen much on sommers case till i saw the 20/20 episode a couple of weeks ago. the end where her sister and twin brother sing 'you are my sunshine' had me in tears. yeah me, mr grumpy.

is the dp on the table for this creep?

This might answer two questions ... one about the death penalty and the other about the third motion denied.

With the denial of the third motion, it may mean that JH will not be in isolation any more and will be in with the general population at the jail?

Judge William A. Wilkes accepted the indictment and set no bond for Harrell and the sheriff's office said he is being held in an isolation cell.

Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty against Harrell.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23028428/detail.html

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Even before Diena Thompson laid eyes on the man accused of killing her 7-year-old daughter Somer Thompson, the mourning mother was overwhelmed with anxiety and grief at the moment she'd come face to face with him.

When it came time for Jarred Harrell to enter the courtroom for a pretrial hearing Wednesday afternoon, the 24-year-old sat down and never looked back.

Even though Thompson had been preparing for this moment for months, nothing could ready her for the real thing. She was emotional before, during and after the hearing, and Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler sat by her side through the proceedings.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23292350/detail.html

Does JH have a new lawyer, is this lawyer a public defender or has he been hired by JH's family?

*advertiser censored* charges

Kate Bedell is listed as his attorney for the *advertiser censored* charges. When he plead not guilty to the murder charges, she was his attorney (present in courtroom).

(ETA: Hope this link to video works: http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer Thompson/?action=view&current=002-11.flv ... If not, it came from AmandaReckonWith's Photobucket.)

IIRC, he had at least two public defenders assigned to his case. (ETA: There appear to be two with him in the video above.)

I have not seen it mentioned that a private attorney has taken his case.

Diena sees murder suspect for first time

GREEN COVE SPRINGS –Diena Thompson kept her composure long enough to take her first, in-person look at the man accused of abducting, sexually assaulting and murdering her 7-year-old daughter last fall.

Thompson had been waiting for more than a month to “see the face” of 24-year-old Jarred Harrell, who was charged March 26 with premeditated murder, sexual assault and performing a lewd and lascivious act on a child younger than 12. Harrell already was in custody on multiple counts of possession of child *advertiser censored* after he was arrested and subsequently extradited from Meridian, Miss., in February.

Harrell has pleaded not guilty of the murder of Somer Thompson, who disappeared Oct. 19 on her way home from Grove Park Elementary School in Orange Park. Her body was found two days later in a South Georgia landfill.

Harrell was led into a Clay County courtroom in shackles on Wednesday, April 28, for a pre-trial hearing that had been postponed two days earlier. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

Diena Thompson, who sat between her parents, Phillip and Debbie Bowling, remained silent but wary throughout Wednesday’s 45-minute hearing that saw Circuit Judge John H. Skinner deny three motions made by Harrell’s defense team. But she spoke directly -- and with conviction -- afterward.

“He’s so much of a coward that he can't even turn around and look at the mother of the child that he murdered,” she said.

Harrell did not make eye contact with anyone behind him, but appeared to fidget on and off as he listened to his public defender’s request that prosecutors preserve as evidence any text messages, instant messages or e-mails that might have been exchanged during Harrell’s extradition.

The defense also requested that any notes written by investigators prior to formalizing the murder and sexual assault charges be preserved as well; and for the judge to issue a protective order to minimize public communication about the trial.

All three requests were denied after prosecutors argued that the first request was based on speculation, and that case notes basically were irrelevant and “would not change the truth” about mounds of evidence that already has been provided to the defense.

Thompson saw Skinner’s decisions as a step forward in a long and painful process that won’t pick up again until Harrell’s next pre-trial hearing on May 20.

“I hope the whole trial goes as well as today went,” said Thompson, who has vowed to “stay in Harrell’s face” until a verdict is reached.

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/2221_1.php

Diena sees murder suspect for first time

GREEN COVE SPRINGS –Diena Thompson kept her composure long enough to take her first, in-person look at the man accused of abducting, sexually assaulting and murdering her 7-year-old daughter last fall.

Thompson had been waiting for more than a month to “see the face” of 24-year-old Jarred Harrell, who was charged March 26 with premeditated murder, sexual assault and performing a lewd and lascivious act on a child younger than 12. Harrell already was in custody on multiple counts of possession of child *advertiser censored* after he was arrested and subsequently extradited from Meridian, Miss., in February.

Harrell has pleaded not guilty of the murder of Somer Thompson, who disappeared Oct. 19 on her way home from Grove Park Elementary School in Orange Park. Her body was found two days later in a South Georgia landfill.

Harrell was led into a Clay County courtroom in shackles on Wednesday, April 28, for a pre-trial hearing that had been postponed two days earlier. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

Diena Thompson, who sat between her parents, Phillip and Debbie Bowling, remained silent but wary throughout Wednesday’s 45-minute hearing that saw Circuit Judge John H. Skinner deny three motions made by Harrell’s defense team. But she spoke directly -- and with conviction -- afterward.

“He’s so much of a coward that he can't even turn around and look at the mother of the child that he murdered,” she said.

Harrell did not make eye contact with anyone behind him, but appeared to fidget on and off as he listened to his public defender’s request that prosecutors preserve as evidence any text messages, instant messages or e-mails that might have been exchanged during Harrell’s extradition.

The defense also requested that any notes written by investigators prior to formalizing the murder and sexual assault charges be preserved as well; and for the judge to issue a protective order to minimize public communication about the trial.

All three requests were denied after prosecutors argued that the first request was based on speculation, and that case notes basically were irrelevant and “would not change the truth” about mounds of evidence that already has been provided to the defense.

Thompson saw Skinner’s decisions as a step forward in a long and painful process that won’t pick up again until Harrell’s next pre-trial hearing on May 20.

“I hope the whole trial goes as well as today went,” said Thompson, who has vowed to “stay in Harrell’s face” until a verdict is reached.

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/2221_1.php

BBM

Thanks! I was wondering if her parents were there to support her. It's great that they were. I can not imagine what it must have felt like to be in the same room as the monster who killed her baby.

I'd still love to know if anyone was there to support JH. Wonder if his alibi, I mean, his mom was there?

from what i saw on 20/20 its not like jh's family could lend moral support.

they dont have any.

from what i saw on 20/20 its not like jh's family could lend moral support.

they dont have any.

I agree.

But, I figured his mom and maybe his aunt would be there.
From what I've seen so far since we first heard of JH, he has been enabled by most of the people in his life.

His mom was willing to give him an alibi. We heard that on those jail house phone call tapes.

And I'd be willing to bet she was nowhere near Orange Park that day.

I don't think anybody was there on his side. I won't be surprised as his trial enfolds to see some family members get on the stand to say how bad he had it all his life etc. to plead for his life. I hope if and when he is found guilty that the jury will take into great consideration that Somer must have pleaded for her life, and that the monster ignored her pleas, an innocent child.

I am wondering if the mother's alibi doesn't check out. The reason I say this is that the gas station that I use where I live has tapes for two weeks, and they are transferred to disks that are kept forever.

Annis must have given that alibi way back in October. LE must have checked it out as they knew from Rod B that JH had child *advertiser censored* on his computer. Or at least, Rod B told them about the child *advertiser censored* stuff. Whether verified or not, one would think that LE would take a deeper look than just accepting Annis' word for it, wouldn't you think? A simple check would have found Annis' criminal record as well.

if i remember correctly they werent looking at him at all in october.
in fact, they were persucting the family that he lived with about the child *advertiser censored*.

I am wondering if the mother's alibi doesn't check out. The reason I say this is that the gas station that I use where I live has tapes for two weeks, and they are transferred to disks that are kept forever.

Annis must have given that alibi way back in October. LE must have checked it out as they knew from Rod B that JH had child *advertiser censored* on his computer. Or at least, Rod B told them about the child *advertiser censored* stuff. Whether verified or not, one would think that LE would take a deeper look than just accepting Annis' word for it, wouldn't you think? A simple check would have found Annis' criminal record as well.

I don't think she was in Orange Park that day. But, even if she can prove she was in Orange Park on that day, at the gas station, that still does not prove she was with JH at the time of Somer's murder. KWIM

She could have been ANYWHERE in Orange Park.
I'm sure there were thousands of people in Orange Park that day. They are not all JH's alibi.

The fact that she had to remind him on the jail recorded phone call to "remember, I'm your alibi, so I have to be careful what i say" - well, that statement says it all to me. If she was with him, she would not need to remind him that she was his alibi, and she would not have to be careful of what she said.

if i remember correctly they werent looking at him at all in october.
in fact, they were persucting the family that he lived with about the child *advertiser censored*.

Yes, they were looking at him. The FBI went to the house on Gano on October 30 and interviewed him there in that house. I'm sorry I don't have the link at my fingertips, but it is a fact that has been stated by LE.

As far as Annis, if she stated that she was at the gas station getting gas and there are tapes that show her and JH, then the alibi for that time would hold up-whatever time that was-4:30-5:00?

I hope that LE didn't just take her word for it, but checked her out as well because of her past (criminal as well as the "marriage" of her young daughter).

LE has far more resources than WS members, and members found her past the second it was released of who she was.

LE would be remiss not to check them out as JH did have the child *advertiser censored* computer stuff that Rod B reminded them about and JH was right there on the route.

I wonder what the deal was on that October 30 interview with JH in the house on Gano? They didn't find anything then and apparently he didn't impress them as a viable suspect at the time.

Harrell said he had been with his mother between 3 and 5:30 p.m. on the day Somer disappeared, including time they spent at the home helping her pack for a move to Callahan. Somer was last seen in the neighborhood about 2:45 p.m.
Harrell’s mother, Annis Dailey, told police she was with him, apparently at the home, between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m., the records show. She said they left together, gassed up their vehicles, had dinner at a McDonald’s and split up about 5:30 p.m. In a jail call between them months later in Mississippi, Dailey told her son she would provide him an alibi in Somer’s case.
No other details of the Oct. 30 interview were included in the records.

So ... was the alibi information given on October 30 also?

That is how it appears to me, but it might have more to do with the reporting.

It does appear with the reporting that the alibi was given October 30, but who knows.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back