Feed the Children charity under fire/scurrilous allegations

Missizzy

Reaction score
I know, what a mess. A huge morass. So, now "Feed the Children" charity is coming under fire. I haven't read all the details but did note that millions have been sent in donation since the earthquake in Haiti but the charity is busy in-fighting and suing each other. One little detail jumped out at me which makes me sick:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/cbsnews_investigates/main6221248.shtm

"But the Christian charity's donors might feel let down by the most scandalous allegations, about *advertiser censored* and sexual and racist emails.

"Feed the Children" says it found incest-related *advertiser censored* in Reverend Larry Jones' office.

Larry Jones counters by producing racist and inappropriate emails that he claims were traded by top executives. "Plot to kidnap Obama" a watermelon under a box trap. "if she looks too young, just assume she's 18."

more at link

Can't anybody, literally, just feed the children? Do we really need to go down the "incest-related" *advertiser censored* path again?

They must've moved the story on ya MissIzzy - here's the link I found that I think has the same article

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/cbsnews_investigates/main6221248.shtml

It looks like they're not even feeding the children -- just saying they are!

I hope everybody who's donating to Haiti relief funds does lots of research....even "well known" groups turn out to be scams....it might not be their intention, but if they don't have logistics to come through on their claims - due to ineptness, lack of planning, etc - they shouldn't be asking for donations until they get their act together.

Just can't trust anybody any more.

arghhhhhhhhhh Not another one!!! whats the world coming to!!!!!!

It sounds like that whole organization should be shut down. They aren't doing with the money what their ads say they are and that is wrong. When they began they were probably doing what they said they were and then got greedy with all of that money coming in. This happens so often. Before people donate to any charity they should really check it out to make sure the money is going to the cause instead of to the organization and the people who run it. If the gossip about *advertiser censored*, etc is true then they should be shut down NOW.

They must've moved the story on ya MissIzzy - here's the link I found that I think has the same article

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/cbsnews_investigates/main6221248.shtml

It looks like they're not even feeding the children -- just saying they are!

I hope everybody who's donating to Haiti relief funds does lots of research....even "well known" groups turn out to be scams....it might not be their intention, but if they don't have logistics to come through on their claims - due to ineptness, lack of planning, etc - they shouldn't be asking for donations until they get their act together.

Just can't trust anybody any more.

From the above link:

Watchdog Daniel Borochoff says donors should see lots of red flags. He's been questioning the charity's practices for more than a decade.

Long before whatever issues this charity is having, there has always been something that didn't sit right with me due to this charities amount of television advertising. It's always been common knowledge to do due diligence and see just what percentage or amount of your donations actually go towards helping whatever charity to which you are donating.

A google search and the charities financial statements should be reviewed before making a choice. There are plenty of good charities out there, even if they are not well known.

I'm not going to recommend any on this thread, simply because I wouldn't wish to associate any of them with the feed the children scam.

Personally, I never believed their commercials. For 1, can you imagine how much it cost for the airtime alone. They go on for 30 minutes all day long on the weekends. And after administrative costs, your 8.00 no doubt goes to the administraors, lawyers, and marketing people. So maybe the "children" are getting 50 cents to a dollar if they're lucky. Plus, they have been advertising here in San Diego for the last 13 years, and I've never heard any positive feedback (well, nothing really) on who has been helped and how. That's why I don't donate.

After reading the article, it certainly doesn't surprise me.

Best,

Mel

Thank you for this info on Feed the Children. Honestly, so many Americans just give to a charity w/o investigating! After Haiti, our local grocery store chain was accepting donations to Haiti. The cashier had no idea to what organization the money went from her cash register. I doubt the store manager knew either.

ITA with Cubby. Do some checking. Your charitable dollars can truly do some wonderful things for small charities which are working on something you have a passion about.

When we went on our own privately funded trip to Biloxi after Katrina, we had no backers. We did take over $40,000 of donated goods from our valley's citizens and accepted gas vouchers and phone cards. But we had no agenda, no administrative costs.

What was really cool is that the "Burners" (Burning Man people) found out about us as our son is a serious, long time Burner and the yearly festival wound down just as the news broke of the hurricane. Burners showed up in droves for months and we rebuilt an entire Buddhist Temple (BTW, we're not Buddhist) and tore down blocks of homes. The Daewoo corporation even donated two huge excavators. The Red Cross even supported our group by sending people to us and we reciprocated!! The Marines left us responsible with a field hospital (that was a little shocking). I should fully and publicly disclose here that my one perk from the Biloxi work is that I came away with a case of medical tape. I will never ever have to buy medical tape. There I've come clean. I know first hand how much good work that can be done by a lot of hard working people who simply have a desire to help.

From our experience, a new group was formed, Burners Without Borders. Look them up. When you find their website, you'll see a huge orange excavator in the center pic--that's my guy. If you dig, you'll see the Bioloxi story. It's a heartwarming one and one of which I am proud. They take donations and we continue to support them. What they really want, though, is your expertise!! They are incredible at finding the right people for the "job" at hand. What is so interesting about this group is that they don't go about their work in traditional methods. They just do what needs to be done...creatively. If you've ever spent any time looking at photos of the Burning Man celebration in the Black Rock Desert, you know that Burners can live in far less than "ideal" circumstances. That's why we know they are doing great work in Haiti. They and many, many other small groups are doing amazing work and have earned your donations.

Before you send in that $10 or $1000 check, do your research. If you can't, find a local family or group who needs your support.

Receiver sought for Oklahoma City charity Feed The Children
Published: February 23, 2010
Daily Oklahoman

A judge was asked Monday in an "emergency application” to appoint a temporary receiver to take over operation of Feed The Children.

An attorney for fired charity president Larry Jones made the request for a neutral receiver "who can restore the public reputation of the organization.”

Oklahoma County District Judge Patricia Parrish scheduled a hearing on the request for 3 p.m. Wednesday.

"It is clear the appointment of a receiver is urgently needed to prevent the destruction of FTC,” Jones’ attorney, Mark Hammons, told the judge in the application.

The attorney wrote the request was being made because of a critical CBS News story last week about the charity’s relief work in Haiti. The attorney wrote the charity engaged in false fundraising, which could result in the revocation of its tax-exempt status.
---
[Larry] Jones was fired Nov. 6. He said Monday, "I’m tired of the whole thing. … I’m tired of all of it. Kids are hungry, and I’m not feeding them so that bothers me.”

http://newsok.com/receiver-sought-f...article/3441502?custom_click=headlines_widget

http://newsok.com/feed-the-children...article/3447085?custom_click=headlines_widget

Feed The Children report removed from CBS site

"CBS on Feb. 18 reported the charity made inflated and untrue statements about its relief efforts at a camp in Haiti for earthquake victims.

The network also reported: "Most shocking of all: more than two weeks after the quake, Feed The Children, despite its name, wasn’t feeding anybody.”

Feed The Children on Tuesday launched a new Web site, ftcfacts.com, to counter the CBS report......"

More at link

and

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12164074

Larry Jones Removed from Feed The Children Board

"The Feed The Children Board of Directors have voted to install a new board member, ending Larry Jones' last official tie to the organization.

About 30 minutes after Feed The Children's annual board meeting began, its founder, Larry Jones, walked out.

"I'm not surprised they let me go," said Jones. "I am literally shocked that my Christian brothers didn't find another way for us to amicably work together......"

more at link

and

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12158455

Fired Feed The Children Founder Larry Jones Speaks Out

"The board fired Jones after learning he planted hidden microphones in the offices of top leaders. Jones said his private conversations were being misconstrued and he wanted proof.

"We tried it one time, it didn't work, and secondly it's not unlawful in the state of Oklahoma," Jones said.

The board also accused Jones of having *advertiser censored* in the office and taking bribes. Jones said the source of all the problems is his daughter Larri Sue Jones, who is an employee of Feed the Children. He said it stems from jealousy issues in the home....."

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back