Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped

The authorities have not specified what time the last verbal exchange between the cockpit and the air traffic controllers took place. But Mr. Hishammuddin’s statement means it would have occurred between 1:08 a.m. and 1:21 a.m., when the plane’s transponder stopped transmitting and ground control lost contact with the jet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html?hp

India rejected suggestions Monday that it could have been the intended target of a 9/11-style attack by the missing Malaysia Airlines jet.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/653609-india-denies-malaysian-jet-9-11-style-attack-theory.html

As Prime Minister Manmohan Singh promised maximum assistance in the massive hunt for Flight 370, India's foreign minister said it was vital that the mystery over its fate was cleared up.

But asked by the CNN-IBN network about suggestions that the plane was hijacked with the aim of flying it into an Indian city, Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid replied: "I don't think we have gone that far."

The speculation was fuelled by former US deputy secretary of state Strobe Talbott who tweeted that the "direction, fuel load & range now lead some to suspect hijackers planned a 9/11-type attack on an Indian city".

His comments over the weekend have been widely picked up by the Indian media and Khurshid said people needed answers to allay their fears.

"We hope to come to some conclusion that is both credible and reassuring," he said.

The Times of India said security sources had "rubbished" the idea that the plane could have got anywhere close to an urban centre and insisted it would have been detected by a naval base on the Andaman islands, more than 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) off the Indian mainland.

"There is no way our military radars would have missed the airliner as it flew over Andaman Sea, as there is high traffic around that time," one military intelligence source told the paper.

The US-led NATO mission in Afghanistan meanwhile said it was not looking for the missing plane there, and Islamabad's Civil Aviation Authority said the flight never appeared on Pakistani radar.

This may be a redundant question but wouldn't somebody have noticed a commercial jet flying that low? And I don't mean radar. My knowledge of planes is limited other than flying numerous times. I have skydived at 15,000 feet thus my question.

ACARS MAY HAVE BEEN TURNED OFF AS LATE AS 1:37AM

Mulitple MSM reports: CNN, The Guardian.

It's possible no unusual action was taken until the transponder was turned off (at the approx. time of "Alright good night"). According to some officials, all ACARS does is send routine flight data every half hour. It does not send an indication it has been turned off.

1:07AM: ACARS makes its usual transmission.
1:19AM: "Alright, good night"
1:21AM: Transponder turned off, diversion begins.
1:37AM: ACARS does not make its routine transmission.

If true, this increases the possibility of a passenger cockpit takeover.
There's no evidence of hijacker action until AFTER "Alright, good night".

For all we know, the pilot may have been accosted by a hijack/terrorist passenger, and was trying heroically to thwart an attack on an Asian target. He may gave turned, per a hijacker demand, and then done erratic things to garner attention from (sleeping?) military radar teams. They (pilots) may gave been injured or killed due to failure to cooperate or any other reason, and the plane was left without a pilot to fly into its eventual demise.

The more we know, the more we don't know. I have no confidence in any information released or speculated upon at this point. I just want to know what those who are investigating have been doing all day, every day. What are they doing?? Analyzing info, arguing with each other, drinking heavily? So much time, yet no (IMO) solid info. I also question the arcs, though I think they're the most probably accurate(ish) info there is.

I dare say the CVR and FDR would have been turned off very early in the piece too - so there probably isn't a whole lot to be gained from the black boxes either...

For all we know, the pilot may have been accosted by a hijack/terrorist passenger, and was trying heroically to thwart an attack on an Asian target. He may gave turned, per a hijacker demand, and then done erratic things to garner attention from (sleeping?) military radar teams. They (pilots) may gave been injured or killed due to failure to cooperate or any other reason, and the plane was left without a pilot to fly into its eventual demise.

The more we know, the more we don't know. I have no confidence in any information released or speculated upon at this point. I just want to know what those who are investigating have been doing all day, every day. What are they doing?? Analyzing info, arguing with each other, drinking heavily? So much time, yet no (IMO) solid info. I also question the arcs, though I think they're the most probably accurate(ish) info there is.

BBM

Seems very plausible... it would have been wonderful if Malaysia would have scrambled a couple of planes to have a look see at that point

It's 11:40pm here (DST) - 8:40pm in KL, Malaysia - I dare say it will be all quiet on the western front until daybreak again - How the hell am I still awake!?! Time for bed, hopefully tomorrow brings some solid news!

Night all!

I agree if the plane was taken for terrorist activity, all on board were executed either while on the plane, or shot as soon as it landed.

I do not agree that the plane could not be taken because of it's size. I would think that is exactly why it was taken, and once repainted, still can fly "under the radar".

Wouldn't it make more sense to take a large cargo plane if they wanted something to use in future terrorist actions? No passengers to deal with and one would think the plane could hold more explosives or whatever (though maybe the fuel tank is all the explosives they need).

Course maybe they didn't have any easy access to cargo planes.

It's 11:40pm here (DST) - 8:40pm in KL, Malaysia - I dare say it will be all quiet on the western front until daybreak again - How the hell am I still awake!?! Time for bed, hopefully tomorrow brings some solid news!

Night all!

Thanks for all your info. Sleep well :seeya:

ACARS MAY HAVE BEEN TURNED OFF AS LATE AS 1:37AM

Mulitple MSM reports: CNN, The Guardian.

It's possible no unusual action was taken until the transponder was turned off (at the approx. time of "Alright good night"). According to some officials, all ACARS does is send routine flight data every half hour. It does not send an indication it has been turned off.

1:07AM: ACARS makes its usual transmission.
1:19AM: "Alright, good night"
1:21AM: Transponder turned off, diversion begins.
1:37AM: ACARS does not make its routine transmission.

If true, this increases the possibility of a passenger cockpit takeover.
There's no evidence of hijacker action until AFTER "Alright, good night".

This makes sense to me. I think we have the Malaysian gov't throwing their own pilots under the bus, because they don't want to admit just how lax their security was.

Do we even really know who was all on that plane? There seem to be some question marks.

AND it is going to take A LOT to convince me that this has nothing to do with this. . . http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/03/13/why_the_us_isnt_rushing_to_sanction_russia

A good working relationship between the US/Europe and Russia is a bad thing for Iran. This hi-jack takes attention off the Crimea succession, which will no doubt bring sanctions against Russia.

The West has powerful tools at its disposal for use against Russia, including potentially levying sanctions against certain Russian banks and companies. That would be a huge, and dangerous, gamble. Russia has promised to retaliate for any Western sanctions, perhaps by seizing the assets of American firms operating in Russia. The bigger risk, though, is that Russia could do everything in its power to prevent the United States and its allies from using the global financial system to combat other foes

Russia has been instrumental in isolating North Korea and Iran by refusing to veto hard-hitting United Nations Security Council sanctions resolutions. Those measures have been credited with hobbling the Iranian economy and bringing Iranian negotiators back to the table to talk about dismantling the country's nuclear program. American sanctions against Moscow could persuade Russian strongman Vladimir Putin to retaliate by ignoring current sanctions, expanding his commercial dealings with Tehran, and vetoing any new effort to impose new sanctions if the current nuclear talks end without a deal.

Sooo. . .I'm back to the two guys with the same legs. . .and possibly others that we know or don't know who were on that flight. :banghead:

Wouldn't it make more sense to take a large cargo plane if they wanted something to use in future terrorist actions? No passengers to deal with and one would think the plane could hold more explosives or whatever (though maybe the fuel tank is all the explosives they need).

Course maybe they didn't have any easy access to cargo planes.

Cargo aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Aircraft designed for cargo flight usually have features that distinguish them from conventional passenger aircraft: a wide/tall fuselage cross-section, a high-wing to allow the cargo area to sit near the ground, a large number of wheels to allow it to land at unprepared locations, and a high-mounted tail to allow cargo to be driven directly into and off the aircraft."

Could the difference in features be the reason a passenger jet was hijacked instead of a cargo jet?

FYI The Nuclear Security Summit 2014 will be held on March 24-25 at The Hague, Netherlands. JMO security will be extremely tight at this meeting, tighter than normal. It's always been a no-fly zone anyway. If the plane isn't found by then, I sincerely hope the topic is at least addressed (how someone could make a plane disappear right under their noses).

https://www.nss2014.com/en/nss-2014

"
Participating Countries

Fifty-three countries, four international organisations, 58 world leaders, thousands of delegates and journalists. In every respect the Nuclear Security Summit 2014 (NSS) is a world summit, aimed at preventing nuclear terrorism around the globe."

a large number of wheels to allow it to land at unprepared locations, and a high-mounted tail to allow cargo to be driven directly into and off the aircraft."

Could the difference in features be the reason a passenger jet was hijacked instead of a cargo jet?

One would think being able to land them in unprepared locations would be a BIG plus IF they wanted to reuse the plane.

Course taking a cargo plane would NOT make the world headlines and could easily be hushed up by any embarrassed governments/airlines.

If this wasn't well planned out (with a government/airport ready to accept the hijacked passenger plane) then it must have crash landed. If someone were to have accepted the plane there is no way it will still be a secret (unless they took it to Somalia or someplace like that, but why would they?).

I was thinking that, there are things which have been discussed in loops as people haven't read from the start, would be nice to have recaps and frequently asked questions-I'm willing to help someone on that if needed

Sounds good. I think it would be best if the first page of every thread (from now on) would be updated with verified information (i.e that there was no Wi-Fi on board, hence no mobile phones could be used, since this question pops up every once in a while).

Maybe a "leading article" at the first page of each thread with the most recent information labelled/marked in red or blue so that in can be clearly distinguished from already known facts?

It is so frustrating to see that many of the news reports are now either outright blaming or insinuating that Shah was responsible for taking over the plane. Just because someone has a flight simulator in their home or have a keen interest in something does not a crazy fanatic make. There was no message left either, so good job trying to prove that it was done for political reasons - there was no message. Not at all. By all accounts Shah and his copilot were good guys. There is no evidence aside from his expertise in flying which is his JOB that points the finger at him. It's so bloody disrespectful to his poor grieving family and to the rest of us
I think someone 'ran amok' or tried to take over, and I believe Shah flew the plane far out where they would do the least damage, knowing they would probably crash. But for all we know, it could turn out that this plane was headed for some epic 9/11-like scenario, and he saved a lot of innocent lives, sacrificing those on board with him. We don't know. For all we know he could be the biggest hero.

Rant over, I'm so friggin tired and I hope there will be some news when I wake up.

Thanks for saying this! I know there seems to be a lot of focus on the pilots, and I can't get my head around all the possibilities, but I do also have a feeling it may turn out that they were heroes, and may have averted a much worse catastrophic event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard