The Responsibilities of the University and Threat Assessment

Oh my goodness what a mess this is going to be. Between duty to warn, confidentiality, privileged communication, informed consent, administration withdrawing to their corner, Dr. Gets in her corner, then let’s throw in all of the BETA folks in their different corners, let’s sprinkle in some faculty, throw in a pinch of peers in his graduate program, add a dash of Hippa, marinated with some Ferpa, mince in an insanity plea, topped with some incompetent to stand trial evaluations, mix well with 142 criminal charges, blend in with previous treatment providers, add in a dash of victim statements as it relates to death penalty, shred in some change in venue, follow by jury selection, and top off with a gag order!

I don’t think any of us, here, will live long enough to see the end!

BBM
It also says -

"But sources familiar with the investigation told CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia that officials at the University of Colorado never contacted Aurora police with Fenton’s concerns before the July 20 killings."

"Sources said when Holmes withdrew, the BETA team “had no control over him" and ended its review, when Holmes dropped out of school on July 10."

"Chancellor Donald Elliman said the school is committed to evaluating every step in the process to ensure it worked."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31330541/detail.html
they need to have a hearing to see if it worked? Where exactly are they befuddled? What are they trying to figure out here !!!!

All they need to do is read what BETA stands for - and poof determination in - missed the boat folks!

...thats actually humorous.... Come on University!

from curiousme-

JH, if he thought he was failing and becoming an outcast, like that above article about the student, it absolutely requires the doctor and school to not aggravate the situation. I'm not saying they did, so please understand that's not what I'm saying. It's JMOO - Handle with kid gloves and make efforts to help them make a graceful transition, and certainly good policy and documentation is smart.

Sorta like the feeling the male black widow spider gets after copulation upon realizing his predicament. Back out very slowly and gently being very careful not to disturb or poke any tender spots. Hey look, there's another target over there!

from curiousme-

Sorta like the feeling the male black widow spider gets after copulation upon realizing his predicament. Back out very slowly and gently being very careful not to disturb or poke any tender spots. Hey look, there's another target over there!
Absolutly they should just give it up ($ - legal wont happen) and just come clean so complicated!

Does anybody know or understand the confidentiality issues involved if DrF gets to know of any prior MI history of JH? Is she allowed/required to know by the patient signing consent before treatment, or is that protected under confidentiality?

The legal side is an overly comlex monstrosity to fathom when it comes to things like this. Fenton has not yet been interviewed by law enforcement? Meaning all evidence has not yet been turned over? no subpoena's ? The university gets to conduct its own internal investigation first? Is this not getting a little ripe for most people?

Did mom even tell? Maybe sonny boy wouldn't have been accepted if the uni knew beforehand. Lots of questions but seems we are being left in the dark.

This press release was posted on 8/3/12, at approximately 4pm, on the UC website:

Campus Leaders voluntarily call for review

AURORA, Colo. – The University of Colorado today announced that Robert N. Miller, former U.S. Attorney for the District of Colorado, has been retained to conduct an ​independent review in an effort to better understand the procedures and actions taken by the university and its employees in relation to the suspect in the Aurora Theater shootings, a former student on the Anschutz Medical Campus. Miller and his team began their review last week. They have been asked to assess various university systems, procedures and actions related to the suspect.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsr...Bob-Miller-to-conduct-independent-review.aspx

More at link. I wasn't sure if we were permitted to post news releases in their entirety or not. Anybody?

The Team consists of representatives from the Counseling Center, Faculty Development Center, Office of Student Life, Legal Counsel, Human Resources, Student Conduct Office, Risk Management, Student Life, Student Services, Ombuds, Disability Services, Campus Police and Student Housing.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/life/services/BETA/Pages/default.aspx

are these people even allowed to see or hear JH's Medical/Patient Records of Fenton?

edited to add : i think but i am not sure that the BETA Team site got edited :(

Good point, February about the patient confidentiality with regards to the other members of the BETA team. Very good point!

Regarding your ETA comment, this is the problem with only being able to post a partial c/p from sites (I'm not sure whether UC pages are even copyrighted info) ... then when they later get altered or deleted, we have no way to know for sure.

Does anybody know or understand the confidentiality issues involved if DrF gets to know of any prior MI history of JH? Is she allowed/required to know by the patient signing consent before treatment, or is that protected under confidentiality?

JH would have to sign a HIPPA approved form for Fenton to get any records from previous docs, if he had any.

He only started at that school in June 2011. Don't know when he started seeing Fenton, don't know if it was in regards to any issues or just a school requirement.

We have seen quotes that he started not doing well in school in Spring, that would be about right if he really wasn't cut out for the program.

My guess is the program may have been too tough on him. Maybe he was not ready (not mature enough) for the requirements obtaining a PhD take. Maybe he was only ready for normal 20 something life of experimentation, yet he was angry he was no longer "smart enough" to just breeze through. I don't know. Sidenote, we did read that the presentation he gave was all pre-written for him, that he did not do that research alone.If so, how much of his prior good grades were just borrowed good works? Maybe he really couldn't cut it? That could make someone very angry if they were not in their own mind ready to accept it.

moo

Would JH have been considered somewhat a "freshmen" at school considering this being his first year at this school?

I only ask b/c last year when my daughter was at first year, she had an advisor that she had to talk to every couple of weeks. It was just to make sure she was OKAY and not having any problems with school. I know at her school it is required for 1st years to take a class on college life and adjusting. They talk about depression, suicide, class stress, teacher stress, etc... Even if other kids transfer in from other states or at different levels of studies, they are all required to take that class. I wonder if JH's college required a class like that?

I do wonder why the college felt the need to completely scrub their web site?

I don't know how I feel about the the dr. yet. I wonder what she knew and what she reported? I also wonder if their were to many chiefs at the college? You know.....you have to work up the chain of command.....tell so and so....and they tell so and so. (I've had a few jobs like that. You tell lower so and so and the problem never gets fixed)

If JH drops out, does that release the school from any responsibility? I would say it depends on what exactly the school knew about JH.

Good point, February about the patient confidentiality with regards to the other members of the BETA team. Very good point!

Regarding your ETA comment, this is the problem with only being able to post a partial c/p from sites (I'm not sure whether UC pages are even copyrighted info) ... then when they later get altered or deleted, we have no way to know for sure.

Maybe some are not even entitled to hear it so we got this new statement from Carrigan :

Michael Carrigan, chairman of the CU board of regents, told KMGH he did not know if Holmes had ever been discussed by the BETA team.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...how-it-handled-shooting-suspect#ixzz22Zl7AP4t

Maybe some are not even entitled to hear it so we got this new statement from Carrigan :

Michael Carrigan, chairman of the CU board of regents, told KMGH he did not know if Holmes had ever been discussed by the BETA team.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...how-it-handled-shooting-suspect#ixzz22Zl7AP4t

Just from reading your quote, I'm already shaking my head. I don't trust that guy, as far as I can see him. And I'm totally unable to see him. lol (as referenced in my post in the Conflicting Reports thread)

Just from reading your quote, I'm already shaking my head. I don't trust that guy, as far as I can see him. And I'm totally unable to see him. lol

LOL... i see him from your post on that conflicting reports
That's funny ! :notgood:

Would JH have been considered somewhat a "freshmen" at school considering this being his first year at this school?

I only ask b/c last year when my daughter was at first year, she had an advisor that she had to talk to every couple of weeks. It was just to make sure she was OKAY and not having any problems with school. I know at her school it is required for 1st years to take a class on college life and adjusting. They talk about depression, suicide, class stress, teacher stress, etc... Even if other kids transfer in from other states or at different levels of studies, they are all required to take that class. I wonder if JH's college required a class like that?

I do wonder why the college felt the need to completely scrub their web site?

I don't know how I feel about the the dr. yet. I wonder what she knew and what she reported? I also wonder if their were to many chiefs at the college? You know.....you have to work up the chain of command.....tell so and so....and they tell so and so. (I've had a few jobs like that. You tell lower so and so and the problem never gets fixed)

If JH drops out, does that release the school from any responsibility? I would say it depends on what exactly the school knew about JH.

Moved my reply over to:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8227705&posted=1#post8227705

BBM
It also says -

"But sources familiar with the investigation told CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia that officials at the University of Colorado never contacted Aurora police with Fenton’s concerns before the July 20 killings."

"Sources said when Holmes withdrew, the BETA team “had no control over him" and ended its review, when Holmes dropped out of school on July 10."

"Chancellor Donald Elliman said the school is committed to evaluating every step in the process to ensure it worked."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31330541/detail.html

I thought he dropped out in June right after his oral exam. :waitasec: Maybe we need a reliable timeline, if that's even possible.

I thought he dropped out in June right after his oral exam. :waitasec: Maybe we need a reliable timeline, if that's even possible.

I read that article yesterday and notified that news station last night about their "July" error. Time flies so fast, it's hard to keep up. ;) (Oops upon clicking, that is not who I contacted last night. But it's the same error!)

As for the timeline, we don't have a whole lot of concrete dates to go by, but I've began to keep one.

Robert (Bob) N. Miller

Robert Miller has over 45 years of experience in complex commercial litigation and white collar crime. As the former United States Attorney for the District of Colorado, and as a former Colorado District Attorney, he has extensive experience in representing companies, board members, officers and individuals in connection with investigations by federal and state prosecutors. He also routinely conducts internal investigations and advises companies on compliance programs. He has represented many public and private companies, officers, board members and individuals in a wide variety of complex commercial litigation. He is also a panel member for the American Arbitration Association.

http://www.perkinscoie.com/rmiller/

Withdrawal from the University
To withdraw from the University of Colorado Denver, students must drop all courses for the semester. Prior to census (see current academic calendar for census date), students must use the Web registration system (SMART) to drop courses. Courses dropped during this period are not recorded on the student’s permanent record.

After the census date (see current academic calendar for census date), through the 10th week (fifth week for summer) students must submit a withdrawal form with the approval of the dean and the Office of Financial Aid. Courses dropped during this period will be recorded on the student’s permanent record with a grade of W.

Students seeking to withdraw after the 10th week (fifth week for summer) must petition the associate dean of their school or college. A student who stops attending classes without officially withdrawing from the university will receive grades of F for all course work during that term.

Deadlines for dropping module and intensive courses appear in the Web Schedule Planner.
http://catalog.ucdenver.edu/content.php?catoid=1&navoid=25#withdrawal

Just FYI only above..

By the way, who process school withdrawal on a SUNDAY?...

:what::waitasec::what:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back