Is there anyone that believes Ross is innocent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you believe he's guilty because he did things that day that he would have done any other day?

And for the record, I'm not convinced this was a horrible accident. Just that he's not guilty of malice/felony murder beyond a reasonable doubt. I think people don't realize there is a difference.

12 jurors heard all the witnesses, saw the evidence offered by both sides, and listened to opening and closing arguments. They saw the totality of the evidence, and found him GUILTY as charged. I think that is important to keep in mind.

12 jurors heard all the witnesses, saw the evidence offered by both sides, and listened to opening and closing arguments. They saw the totality of the evidence, and found him GUILTY as charged. I think that is important to keep in mind.

This!

Absolutely!! Thank you katydid!

I absolutely do not believe that he couldn't see nor smell his deceased child when he went to the car at lunch time.
There is no evidence he looked in the car. There is no evidence there was a smell when he went to the car at lunch. In fact, the coroner testified that there could have been no smell of "death" since decomposition doesn't happen until several hours after death.

There was a big deal made about the soiled diaper. I have kids. That's not an unusual smell at all to a parent of small kids. If someone not used to that smell walks up to a car with that smell in it, it's going to be noticeable. Otherwise I could see myself thinking, as I was rushing off to go see a movie with some friends, "geez, did I leave a dirty diaper in here?"

Hello - as my introductory post to WS... I wanted to comment on this case. I've been following closely since day 1 when it happened. I have a child who is 3 year old and I'm a single, full time working mom. I used to be one of those "It would never happen to me... who forgets a child in a car?" type of thinkers.

Until last summer I had an incident that shook me and my beliefs about forgetting to my very core.

I have a medical alert service dog. We've been partnered for 4 years and she saves my life every day. She is with me 24/7/365. The only place I wouldn't take her is into an operating room. Otherwise, she is with me by my side 24 hours a day and even went to the hospital with me when I was in labor and gave birth. That's even MORE than a baby. We are PARTNERS. She gets in/out of the car multiple times per day.

Last summer I picked up a friend for lunch. My friend was in a cast and was having a hard time getting in/out of the car. When I got to where we were going there were three spots along the curb to choose from. Two of the spots had a tree or a large trash can blocking the passenger area and the middle spot was free of any obstruction so I picked the middle spot. My friend needed to be able to open the door all the way to get out. I got out of the car and was about to open the back door to put on my dog's service vest and bring her out of the car... Well, this woman in a big SUV didn't like it that we weren't pulling up to the front spot and started having a hissy fit that she would have to parallel park. She came up to me and was screaming and shouting that I was rude, and I need to pull up, etc.. and it was an awful scene for a couple mins. We eventually told her to pound sand and then left to go to the restaurant. We talked about this silly woman, then had lunch. We were in there about an hour and I have to tell you it was a very hot day, around 91 degrees.

It wasn't until I got back in the car and heard panting that I realized I'd left my service dog in the car. The electric shock of realization that went through me was something I'll never forget. I have tinted windows in the back and of course the windows were all the way up. My god, I didn't even think about her ONE TIME. I didn't even think of her as I was getting back TO the car. I was so upset with the lady yelling at us, then we had lunch and... it just slipped my mind.

But here's the thing -- It slipped my mind when I had my HAND ON THE DOOR to open it about 10 seconds before! That's how fast it happened.

I quickly got my dog some water and some shade. I let her back in the car once the air conditioning made the car cool. And luckily she didn't suffer any ill effects. My dog was OK, but jesus, I could have killed her.

This is a dog that's by my side at ALL times: Trains, planes, automobiles, labor & Delivery, restaurants, theatre, concerts, movies, you name it! This is a dog that I take in and out of the car multiple times per day. This is a dog I NEED to keep me safe and alive.

And yet I forgot her. How could I have done that? I've thought it over and played it over in my head about a million times.

I was distracted by this awful, screaming woman in my face and worried about getting friend out of the car in her cast and I simply forgot my service dog. Never thought about her a single time while we ate on that very hot day. What kind of person does that?

I'm the kind of person, apparently.

It still haunts me what I did - because even if she suffered no long term effects, it was animal cruelty.

My point is that, until it happens to you, it's very difficult to believe in or understand the "Swiss Cheese" memory thing that happens. It's a brain fart, not a deliberate act. No one wants to believe it could happen to them so it's so much more comforting to think THEY are just bad people. Those OTHER people are bad/evil/bad parents/whatever, NOT ME. That's exactly how I thought until this happened to me.

Anyway, I don't presume to know if he is innocent or not, only he knows what was in his heart that day, but I do now understand how it could happen - even when the drive was just a few minutes long.

I'm going to start off by saying this is a truly amazing story and I thank you for having the courage to tell this in such detail.

Then, I'll go on to say that I have someone very, very close to me that lives every single day of her life with a service dog. She has for many years.

Service dogs as you know are a unique situation especially in a restaurant. After reading your situation here I would recommend that you reconsider your need to have a service dog. Are you truly legally disabled? If so what tasks specific to your disability has your dog been trained to do?

Whenever my friend and I are in a restaurant with the service dog, this becomes a very noticeable situation.

In nearly any other situation I've ever been with my friend, not so much; but PARTICULARLY in a restaurant, the issue of the service dog being there becomes...an issue. Where to sit, how to sit, the comments and looks and stares of the other patrons. My point is, that if you were just in Walmart or something maybe I could see how you could forget your dog? But in a restaurant? I don't know how you could not notice that your dog wasn't with you.

Look at it this way, service dogs are considered durable medical equipment in the same way a wheelchair is.

If someone were in a situation such as you just described with the woman hollering out in the street and they were in a wheelchair, they could not forget the wheelchair in the car. They NEED the wheelchair.

<modsnip>
Good luck to you and your dog in the future.

There is no evidence he looked in the car. There is no evidence there was a smell when he went to the car at lunch. In fact, the coroner testified that there could have been no smell of "death" since decomposition doesn't happen until several hours after death.

There was a big deal made about the soiled diaper. I have kids. That's not an unusual smell at all to a parent of small kids. If someone not used to that smell walks up to a car with that smell in it, it's going to be noticeable. Otherwise I could see myself thinking, as I was rushing off to go see a movie with some friends, "geez, did I leave a dirty diaper in here?"

Not buying it. No way he didn't see into the car. No way he didn't smell something out of the ordinary.

I have my opinions, as you have yours. The jury has already made the decision. I believe they got it right, you believe they got it wrong. We can leave it at that.

Folks, this man drove his car w/a dead child in it who passed due to heat exposure. It is IMPOSSIBLE that he did not do this intentionally.

Not buying it. No way he didn't see into the car. No way he didn't smell something out of the ordinary.

I have my opinions, as you have yours. The jury has already made the decision. I believe they got it right, you believe they got it wrong. We can leave it at that.
That's fine that you don't want to buy it but please understand that I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm using facts presented at the trial to rebut your opinions that appear to be based on gut feelings.

I'm also not clear why you're bringing up the jury's findings of guilt in a thread titled "Is there anyone that believes Ross is innocent?".

Folks, this man drove his car w/a dead child in it who passed due to heat exposure. It is IMPOSSIBLE that he did not do this intentionally.
And yet here's a guy with very similar circumstances that didn't do it intentionally.
http://www.fox16.com/news/local-news/judge-naramore-charged-in-hot-car-death
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/new-info-in-ar-hot-car-death-case

In fact, if "drove the car with a dead child in it" is the standard of guilt, Mr. Naramore is twice as guilty since he drove home with the dead child and didn't discover him until he was back in his car driving again.

And yet here's a guy with very similar circumstances that didn't do it intentionally.
http://www.fox16.com/news/local-news/judge-naramore-charged-in-hot-car-death
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/new-info-in-ar-hot-car-death-case

In fact, if "drove the car with a dead child in it" is the standard of guilt, Mr. Naramore is twice as guilty since he drove home with the dead child and didn't discover him until he was back in his car driving again.

Naramore wasn't less than six inches away from the car seat. Once this jury saw the confines of the car they realized Ross could not have accidentally done this

I know he didn't try to erase anything. He knew those things would make him look distracted, he wanted a jury to think exactly as everyone else does that believes it was a horrible accident. I am not using any of those things to determine his guilt. Those things don't even matter in this case, in my opinion.

1- He sent his wife a text message asking her when she would be picking up the child. I believe he did this in an attempt to make it look like a normal day.

2- The email from the school he received that he glossed over. Again, like any other normal day.

3- Placing the light bulbs in his car after lunch. Again, like any other day.

Hearing some of the jury members discuss why they chose the guilty verdict solidified it for me.

And the show he put on when he stopped the car in front of all the bystanders. Not normal display of grief, and why there and not the movie theater lot? Why tell his friends he'd be late for the movie?

There are a lot of cases where the parent has driven around with the dead child withoit realising the child was there. Do you think that all of them are guilty of premeditated murder?

There are a lot of cases where the parent has driven around with the dead child withoit realising the child was there. Do you think that all of them are guilty of premeditated murder?

....No

That's fine that you don't want to buy it but please understand that I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm using facts presented at the trial to rebut your opinions that appear to be based on gut feelings.

I'm also not clear why you're bringing up the jury's findings of guilt in a thread titled "Is there anyone that believes Ross is innocent?".

You appear to have some serious investment in this case based on the emotion you are displaying at my difference of opinion.

The title of this thread is "Is there anyone who believe Ross is innocent". I came here to enter my response to that question. My response is no, and I stated why I don't believe he is not innocent. If I am off topic, then by all means, alert the mods and have my responses removed.

I don't think anyone here is saying that all crimes of this nature should be lumped into one basket. Just like with serial killers, rapists, kidnappers, pedophiles...every case is different. That is why a trial is judged by a jury of our peers.

I am local to this case. I watched the trial online, I formed my own opinion based on testimony I heard. However, I wasn't on that jury. Do jury's get it wrong? I believe so. We all do. But we must have faith in that system.

I know he didn't try to erase anything. He knew those things would make him look distracted, he wanted a jury to think exactly as everyone else does that believes it was a horrible accident. I am not using any of those things to determine his guilt. Those things don't even matter in this case, in my opinion.

1- He sent his wife a text message asking her when she would be picking up the child. I believe he did this in an attempt to make it look like a normal day.

2- The email from the school he received that he glossed over. Again, like any other normal day.

3- Placing the light bulbs in his car after lunch. Again, like any other day.

Hearing some of the jury members discuss why they chose the guilty verdict solidified it for me.

Re: #1 - Unless he had some sort of organic brain issue such as dementia, a brain tumor, or is intoxicated or on drugs, that in itself would have been a reminder that he hadn't taken his son to daycare. A total light bulb moment, IMO.

Re: #2 - ditto

I know he was a self-centered, self-absorbed, petty minded pervert with his sexting and all. But even that's not enough for me to say "oh, he was just distracted".
Those two points you make, and the fact he had just fed his son breakfast at McDonald's moments before, it would have been on his mind to go straight to the daycare from there, IMO.

I believe the jury got it right. JMO

The title of this thread is "Is There Anyone who Believes Ross is Innocent".

This thread has gone off the rails.

Keep it to this topic ONLY.

If I see anyone go off topic again or be rude or violate TOS that poster will be gone for 30 days or more.

Remember, if you see a post that is against our TOS ALERT ON IT AND SCROLL BY.

Don't go back and forth for pages and then alert on it. Please, you are making way too much work for our mods.

Websleuths is here to discuss true crime. Not a soapbox for personal beliefs.

Alert and scroll by. That's all you need to do.

Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member