Resemblance of McDuff and BSL

'Well, ya can't pick your relatives'..
I think that Gary Lavergne, was only trying to set the story straight due to some very harsh & derogatory comments about his family on the KFLY FB site.

Imo, Educator & Author Gary Lavergne, may not have known Brandon Lavergne, but Brandon knew of Gary..and had read his Bad Boy from Rosebud book. Imo, BSL was an emulator/copycat.. BSL, was very brazen, calculating, creative, and deflective..just plain damn evil..

http://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=KLFY&init=quick&tas=0.3439545304516384&search_first_focus=1344473515510#!/KLFYTV10

Read comments..

How do you know that BL read that book? Not doubting, just wonder where it was reported. Thanks

I'm going to take Gary Lavergne's word that he is not related to BSL's family. There is another Brandon Lavergne who, early on, was mistaken for a relative, too. Perhaps generations ago there may have been some familial relationships, but nothing considered as true family.

IMO, Brandon doesn't strike me as someone who would read a book, and he certainly didn't need ideas to emulate a SK! All MHO.

Really doesn't matter if BSL & GL are related, imo..

Annie1004, I had not read a book since college(30+ years) until I gained an interest in Appalachee Indian history. I now read several books a week. Ya can't judge a book by the cover..

I read a lot of James Patterson. He is very creative/imaginative. He was a marketer & coined the phrase 'TOYS R US KID'.. He writes 8 books at a time and still uses a pencil..LOL

BSL, spent 8 years in prison and coincidentally murdered Lisa Pate in July
1999; the same month & year Bad Boy from Rosebud was released.
What ya gonna do in prison but read...

Carrying over from the Body Found thread:
KATC's Erin Steuber<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Statement from Gary M Lavergne:<br />
<br />
I was born in Church Point in 1955 and moved to Austin, TX in 1989. I have not lived in Church Point for 23 years. I've written four peer-reviewed university press books, three dealing with crime and criminal justice and the phenomenon of mass murder. The last was published 10 years ago and none of those titles have anything to do with the Louisiana case at hand. I<br />
've since moved on to writing history and civil rights.<br />
<br />
My father, Nolan Lavergne, was a police officer in Church Point, serving as Chief of Police from 1966-70, until his death in 1979. He has been dead for 33 years.<br />
<br />
Finally, neither my father nor myself are related to Brandon Lavergne in any way. I have never met him nor am I acquainted with any member of his family.<br />
<br />
Again, I appreciate your checking the facts. Apparently, someone posted something on the Internet linking my father and me to this person: that is completely false.

Why was it ever said that this author was related to BL? Just because of his name and hometown? I hope there were more facts than that.

In this thread, it was first stated as fact without substantiation in this post:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8229572&postcount=9"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Resemblance of McDuff and BSL[/ame]

But it had likely been present as pseudo-fact with an IMO without substantiation earlier. Someone probably said "it's not only possible, but IMO probable that they are related!" and the rumor got legs.

I am glad Gary lavergne is not related to bsl. GL has made a good name for himself and it must be difficult to know someone with the same last name who is from the same town has done such evil things.

IMO,
Gary Lavergne's book about Mcduff is still a good read and can possibly give us some insight into bsl. Having read part of the book I can say that I find similarities.
The fact that km was executed not long before bsl committed his first assault and murder( that we know of) seems like an interesting coincidence to me.

After some sleuthing this is what I have gathered but no links just IMO

Mom adopted BSL while married to adoptive Dad except adoptive Dad is really bio Dad who conceived BSL during an extra marital engagement OR inappropriate unwanted engagement which is why bio mom wants nothing to do with him? CL adopted (took custody) with Bio/Adoptive Dad JL to give him a better life. Bio Dad/Adoptive Dad and CL raise BSL as theirs from birth as he is not wanted by bio mom. Would there be adoption paperwork even? They have BSL's brother they both have the same last name, look alike and CL finally gets tired of it and leaves JL with BSL and his brother. BSL's brother is at least half biologically but not adopted. (?) thoughts?

Now, resemblance can mean that bio mom could be possibly related, a sister, a niece, a victim assaulted by KM, or even his brother, or father. The resemblance, the mannerisms and the behavior are crazy. Sleuthing to find the "link" if there is one. I don't think GL decided to write about him randomly.

WOW, what a mess! At what age was BSL rejected by bio mom?

The documentary below is an older one, but discovery ID ran a new one today that I can not locate. It was very interesting and provided much more info on BTK's childhood days. BTK had a mentor who was a CA prolific serial killer & studied true crime & detective magazines as a child. BTK, also claimed demonic possession and the X Factor, as did Son of Sam and others.
BTK attended WSU & graduated with a BS in Admin. Criminal Justice.

BTK - 1 - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoApDcNh-o&feature=related"]Dennis Rader Documentary Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
2 - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbU6R63YMI&feature=relmfu"]Dennis Rader Documentary Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]
3 - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ajZMlj-eM&feature=relmfu"]Dennis Rader Documentary Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

The BTK killer's last known communication with the media and police was a padded envelope which arrived at FOX affiliate KSAS-TV in Wichita on February 16, 2005. A purple, 1.44-MB Memorex floppy disk was enclosed in the package. Also enclosed were a letter,

a photocopy of the cover of a 1989 novel about a serial killer (Rules of Prey)

http://brainshare.zxq.net/criminology/Serial Murderers and their Victims.pdf

Myths & Facts about serial killers
1. They are nearly all white. One in five U.S. serial killers is black.
2. They are all male. Nearly 16% are female.
3. They are all insane. Insanity is a legal term. Very few
offenders (2%&#8211;4%) are legally insane.
4. They are all lust killers. Many are, but several cases do not
involve sexual assaults, torture, or
sexual mutilations.
5. They kill dozens of victims. A few have high body counts, but
most kill fewer than 10 victims.
6. They kill alone. About one in four have one or more
partners in murder.
7. Victims are beaten, stabbed,
strangled, or tortured to death.
Some victims are poisoned or shot.
8. They are all very intelligent. Most are of average intelligence.
9. They have high mobility in the
United States.
Most offenders remain in a local area.
10. They are driven to kill because
they were sexually abused as
children.
Many kill as a result of rejection and
abandonment in childhood.
11. Most serial murderers cannot stop
killing.
Some serial killers stopped killing for
several years before they killed again
or until they were caught, including
Dennis Rader (BTK), Jeffrey
Gorton, Jeffrey Dahmer, and
Theodore Kaczynski. Such offenders
often substitute paraphilic behaviors
or other diversions in lieu of killing.
12. Most serial killers want to be
caught.
Like anyone, they learn and gain
confidence from experience. Many
want-to-be serial killers end up in
prison after their first murder. Some
become very adept at concealing
their identities and may feel as if they
will never be caught.

Apologies to Gary Lavergne, if he isn't related to Brandon, which he says he isn't so I have no choice but to believe him.
I'm sorry, and I'm sure anyone else here at WS is as well.

But I do find it weird that there are no relations after talking to someone that studied genealogy, all of the Lavergnes in this area are related.

I also find it weird that Gary's dads name is Nolan Dale Lavergne, and Brandon's adoptive dad is James Dale Lavergne. The fact that they are the same middle name, isn't what makes me ask anything. But in the south, giving relatives the same middle name is almost a tradition of keeping the "family" name alive.

But once again, sorry to Gary Lavergne for any confusion and hassle we've caused you.

Gary Lavergne aside, I still want to know more about McDuff.

Based on garryb's revelations this morning (see [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182156"]this thread [/ame]for more), I think we can eliminate the "McDuff-as-BSL's-dad" theory.

I've got to 'fess up: After Gary Lavergne publicly stated he was no relation to Brandon, I put the Lavergne book, Bad Boy (about McDuff) down and haven't finished it. I've been having some stressful times in my personal life and then with all that was happening in Mickey's case -- well, I was just getting too "dark". I had to back off from reading about McDuff for awhile.

Did any of the rest of you who were reading it finish? It was well-written, I thought, from what I read.

I wonder if this thread should even exist...at least as far as mentioning a possible relationship...clearly, there is NOT one. BL may or may not have read any number of books on true crime, maybe he read the one about Derrick Lee, since he used Whiskey Bay. But there is no reason he would have read this one, IMO, any more than any other, since the author is not related.

I wonder if this thread should even exist...at least as far as mentioning a possible relationship...clearly, there is NOT one. BL may or may not have read any number of books on true crime, maybe he read the one about Derrick Lee, since he used Whiskey Bay. But there is no reason he would have read this one, IMO, any more than any other, since the author is not related.

Or maybe it should be retitled, at least...? Then again, maybe it should stand -- to show how things can go awry!

I just know several folks were reading the book Bad Boy, for whatever reasons -- and just wanted to see who might have finished it.

IMO rename it!
"No realtion... but similarities between BSL and Mc Duff"

or

"Resemblance of McDuff and BSL*** busted"

Or maybe it should be retitled, at least...? Then again, maybe it should stand -- to show how things can go awry!

I just know several folks were reading the book Bad Boy, for whatever reasons -- and just wanted to see who might have finished it.

I started the book, but stopped reading when I heard no relation existed. Too dark for me as well.

I started the book, but stopped reading when I heard no relation existed. Too dark for me as well.
------------

Just wondering how authors of these books can be relaxed enough to write about this subject matter. Do they think they would never be a victim of such a person because they are male?

------------

Just wondering how authors of these books can be relaxed enough to write about this subject matter. Do they think they would never be a victim of such a person because they are male?

Hi Concentric, my suggestion to your question is - I do not think they think they would never be a victim ... because they are male. I offer up the author Ann Rule as a female example that writes about such. As dark and troubling as these stories, I guess the story needs to be told. For me, the fictional writers pique my curosity more than the non-fictional writers. Completing the necessary background research and thinking/writing on the subject for long periods would certain get to me. (woolie boolies). I suggest that the authors have a special ability to write on the killers. Similar to how some doctors choose to be medical examiner.

Hi Concentric, my suggestion to your question is - I do not think they think they would never be a victim ... because they are male. I offer up the author Ann Rule as a female example that writes about such. As dark and troubling as these stories, I guess the story needs to be told. For me, the fictional writers pique my curosity more than the non-fictional writers. Completing the necessary background research and thinking/writing on the subject for long periods would certain get to me. (woolie boolies). I suggest that the authors have a special ability to write on the killers. Similar to how some doctors choose to be medical examiner.
----------
Has Ann Rule ever been a victim of rape? I know she sat next to Ted Bundy at the rape hotline.

It would seem to me that if a writer had been a victim of rape, PTSD might occasionally impinge upon productivity.

------------

I wonder if many are them are not haunted, rather than relaxed.

In the case of Lavergne writing about McDuff, well, McDuff has two known male victims, so I doubt the author would be thinking he is "safe" because he is male.

I wonder if many are them are not haunted, rather than relaxed.

In the case of Lavergne writing about McDuff, well, McDuff has two known male victims, so I doubt the author would be thinking he is "safe" because he is male.
-------------------

My bold above. Were the male victims children, teenagers or adult men?
If adult men, then why were they murdered?

Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back