Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a detached garage? Is it just me or does it look like that little set of steps goes up from each side? Is there a door to the left and each set of steps leads to a small landing in front of it?

I thought it was detached. Google maps should put it up

123 38A Ave SW Calgary

Otto! Thank you for that!!!! Because if that were the case for Nathan they may have a "out of sight out of mind" mentality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't believe this is blood splatter, it doesn't make any sense for someone to kill them in the house (or injure them enough for them to be bleeding profusely), then drag them out to the car, then return to clean up the blood trails, leaving only a small amount of blood residue behind.

I think we'll find that this is either completely unrelated to this family going missing, or an object was dragged from the house out the side door, leaving the trail. But I have a feeling we will find that this trail is not blood at all, just dodgy reporters jumping to the most sinister conclusions they can. Nothing like stretching the truth or fabricating evidence to get you more readers...

LE have made no statement suggesting the substance is blood (that I've seen), so I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

I wish we had more to go on though. Nothing is making any sense here.

OTTO - Would you be so kind as to apply the red hue to this picture. There is a largish spot in a similar location near the left side in front of the garage door, but, it is difficult to tell at this angle.

This is a screengrab from google streetview October 2012

TIA

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• oct-2012.jpg
    oct-2012.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 212
  • oct-2012-inverted.jpg
    oct-2012-inverted.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 213
The Days Inn on MacLeod Trail is 3 minutes away from the L home, according to Google maps.

If the estate sale was advertised days in advance on Kijiji, the perp(s) may have registered at that hotel.

Thinking about the temperature in Calgary on Sunday night and if most people would have had their a/c's on, which would have blocked out a lot of noise if there was a scuffle in the driveway.

imo

Not sure if A/C's would have been on on Sunday night.
IIRC, there was a bit of rain that night.
IMO, people didn't hear anything because most people were away for the long weekend. That would have been an advantage for the perp or perps.

Sorry, I am behind and trying to catch up. The first kijiji ad we saw (large cupcake holder item) had a large black dog in the photo. The listing said something like, "cute pup not included." Many of us have wondered whose dog that was and where he or she is. There was at least one other kijiji ad that claimed there were no pets in the home so it could be that the cupcake holder and dog photographed beside it belonged to a family member or friend who was "piggybacking" his or her items in the sale.

What I don't understand is, why was Canmore even mentioned in that Ad? It was worded something like (just paraphrasing here), "Located in Canmore but will be available at the sale here in Calgary." So all that mattered was that it was going to be available at the sale on Jun 28 and 29.......what did it matter where item was located at time of posting the Ad? That struck me as odd.

Just speculation ...

If N was asleep in another room, while the abduction was taking place, did the grandparents tell the perp(s) their grandson was in another room sleeping.

If N was not aware of what was going on, why would the abductor(s) take the little boy, if he was not witness to anything or anyone.

Why would the grandparents even let on he was in the home? Why wouldn't they take the chance their grandson would have stayed safe throughout the night or early morning until his mom arrived or hoped that N would have gone outside to look for them in the morning and be seen by a neighbour.

The person responsible would not have known N was going to be spending the night.

imo

I feel that N was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
:(

I thought it was detached. Google maps should put it up

123 38A Ave SW Calgary

Thanks, otto! From the Earth view it looks like the garage is detached and you enter it from an alley. The alley very well could have been where a car parked undetected.

I really don't believe this is blood splatter, it doesn't make any sense for someone to kill them in the house (or injure them enough for them to be bleeding profusely), then drag them out to the car, then return to clean up the blood trails, leaving only a small amount of blood residue behind.

I think we'll find that this is either completely unrelated to this family going missing, or an object was dragged from the house out the side door, leaving the trail. But I have a feeling we will find that this trail is not blood at all, just dodgy reporters jumping to the most sinister conclusions they can. Nothing like stretching the truth or fabricating evidence to get you more readers...

LE have made no statement suggesting the substance is blood (that I've seen), so I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

I wish we had more to go on though. Nothing is making any sense here.

I agree. Did they offer food or drink at the sale? Maybe it's a simple case of some liquids (pop?) in a garbage bag leaking while being taken out to the trash.
Removing injured victims and taking time to clean up a sidewalk just doesn't make sense in a subdivision with houses so close to one another.

based on the utility pole that is the back alley

I think you're right. I kept "driving" around on Google Street View, but couldn't get down the darn alley. (in the back where the park/field is)

Scary thought. Did one of the supposed "buyers" at the estate sale hide in the house somewhere and never left??

I agree. Did they offer food or drink at the sale? Maybe it's a simple case of some liquids (pop?) in a garbage bag leaking while being taken out to the trash.
Removing injured victims and taking time to clean up a sidewalk just doesn't make sense in a subdivision with houses so close to one another.

I think you're right. I kept "driving" around on Google Street View, but couldn't get down the darn alley. (in the back where the park/field is)

I think they were taken out the back to the alley if they were indeed abducted.

JLSChook, I tried driving down the alley too! :banghead:

If you drive down Stanley Road and look sideways you can see up the alley

If it was the couple's dispute, I think their vehicule would be missing. IMO. Then again, maybe we do not have that information.

No vehicles were reported missing.
I don't think this was a domestic dispute or a familial abduction.
In most cases, the child is found relatively fast. What purpose would the grandparents have in taking N anyways?

That's what I've been saying since the estate sale info came about.
Also I zoomed in on the "marker 15 blood spatter" picture , did anyone else notice in the right foreground (near the right corner) there appears to be more droplets of blood?

This paints a horrific picture for one of the three in my head :(

Given the amount of blood that appeared to be hidden in the photographs, I would agree that this was a horrific attack where there was a lot of blood loss. Something bad happened. Michael Platt, of the Calgary Sun, wrote about the 8 metre long drag marks between the side door and the parking pad. Police would not comment except to say that they're completing a forensic analysis on what was found. They didn't deny that it was there.

I'm going to jump off of here and work on this crown brief but I'll be back in a bit to catch up , sending good vibes the AL,KL&N !

I think they were taken out the back to the alley if they were indeed abducted.

JLSChook, I tried driving down the alley too! :banghead:

If they were taken to the alley, why was there blood between the side door and the parking pad? Could there have been an attack outside near the garage door, drag the body back towards the side door, then into the back yard, out the gate or garage, and to a car in the alley? It would be easier to park in the driveway.

Was the alley open to traffic?

Hi everyone, taking a break from preparing a mock crown brief for class, I was so hoping there would be a break by now. I am in ontario and have never been out west. I was wondering if there are any wooded areas near the scene?
I know that's a long shot but I have a hard time accepting that if this was indeed a stranger issue / botched home invasion, they would harm Nathan. I was just wondering if there are any back road type areas that a suspect could of possibly let the little guy out? It's one thing to harm an adult even in an event that was premeditated, a child on the other hand.... Maybe it's just that in the very least I hope Nathan is found unharmed and okay.

BBM.
Nothing that would be considered a forest. There may be a few trees/bushes near the Elbow River, though. But not enough to conceal a body or bodies.
The crime scene is pretty close to the downtown area.

Anyone who is more local can probably give better insight than me.
I don't live in Calgary, but I do have general knowledge about the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah