Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-...ting-suspect/?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=politics

A grandmother of the suspect – who is also the mother of the slain teacher – was too distraught to speak when reached by phone at her home in Brooksville, Fla.
"I just don't know, and I can't make a comment right now," Dorothy Hanson, 78, said in a shaky voice as she started to cry. She said she hadn't heard anything official about her daughter and grandsons. She declined to comment further and hung up

I do have sympathy for his mother, she did have guns and they where registered to her, but she did not go and shoot people. Her own baby whom she loved murdered her. The mother probably never thought in a million years her son was a murderer or would do harm to anyone, If she did I'm sure she wouldn't have purchased the guns and had them around her son.

It's truly terrible for all involved. Only one person is responsible for this. If he wanted out of this world he should have took his life and left everyone else alone. He was selfish cold and caculating. Everyone involved has my deepest sympathy.

A bit O/T but:

I was spanked as a child and endured other punishments, such as slapping, along with a few instances of what today would, if I am not mistaken, be considered a crime.

I've struggled with low self-esteem and self-loathing my entire life. Cause and effect? No way to prove it beyond a doubt, but I believe so.

My parents did this not because they are evil people--they are not--but because they truly believed in that day and time that those were appropriate ways to discipline a child.

Based on my own experience I would never advocate spanking a child. Ever.

Is it appropriate to hit a spouse when they do something they shouldn't? A friend? A parent?

If not, why is it okay and even desirable to hit a child?

HOW on earth will the people in that town survive?
HOW? HOW are the folks suppose to grieve for one murdered child...much less 18?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-...ting-suspect/?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=politics

A grandmother of the suspect – who is also the mother of the slain teacher – was too distraught to speak when reached by phone at her home in Brooksville, Fla.
"I just don't know, and I can't make a comment right now," Dorothy Hanson, 78, said in a shaky voice as she started to cry. She said she hadn't heard anything official about her daughter and grandsons. She declined to comment further and hung up

The victims of AL seem to be spreading by the minute. Praying for Grandma Hanson.

I am just so saddened. My heart aches for the victims who spent their last moments in fear, for the victims' families whose lives have been completely turned upside down, and for the survivors who will have a long journey in recovering from this tragedy. My nephew is five years old, such an innocent age, I cannot even begin to fathom him having to experience something like this. And so close to Christmas!?!? It will never be the same for the parents, siblings, and children of the victims. My heart is so heavy tonight...

Why THE HELL is the media calling the mother of the teacher???:banghead: She just found out her grandson killed his mom, 18 children and 6 adults?!?!?!

Still am completely against these children being interviewed. It's been just over 12 hours since their lives have been turned upside down. They should be home in a quiet environment to cry, at a church to pray and mourn, or at the pediatrician's office getting medical advice for their parents on how to deal with their babies suffering such a trauma. I'd rather wait for Law Enforcement to give more details than hear children, who have not had time to even comprehend the magnitude of what has happened today, recount what they heard or seen today.

40 parents (counting mother's and father's) have lost children today. 6 adults were killed. The children who were there today should not be dealing with the media! I'm pissed at the parents right now!

MOO

I totally agree with you. These parents are right by the side of the kids being interviewed. so I guess they think this is fine. Maybe a way to talk and get it off their chests. I know Newton is setting up locations for the children and parents to get grief counseling. This is where they should be. 11 years ago yesterday the best friend of two of my kids, was involved in a car accident which involved a drunk driver, killing both mother and child. My kids were immediately taken by hubby and I to the grief counseling that was held that very same night. They were the best people you could know. We all felt the same...numb. Till this day there are special ornaments hanging on our Christmas tree to remind us of their memory.

Matthew Keys @TheMatthewKeys
[More] ABC News also reporting Ryan Lanza's identification found at Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting scene - @ItsDavidFord

I think we will hear more from the father as time goes by. The mother was probably always in denial abt the shooters mental health, but I bet Dad knows the details.

Unfortunately, I think that no matter how many preventative and protective measures are taken in our day to day lives, these incidents will investable happen. It's not a pretty fact of life, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Still am completely against these children being interviewed. It's been just over 12 hours since their lives have been turned upside down. They should be home in a quiet environment to cry, at a church to pray and mourn, or at the pediatrician's office getting medical advice for their parents on how to deal with their babies suffering such a trauma. I'd rather wait for Law Enforcement to give more details than hear children, who have not had time to even comprehend the magnitude of what has happened today, recount what they heard or seen today.

40 parents (counting mother's and father's) have lost children today. 6 adults were killed. The children who were there today should not be dealing with the media! I'm pissed at the parents right now! MOO

I think everyone would be in a daze, a state of shock and not thinking properly....lets give them a break please!!!!

How can we make schools safer? It sounds like this school just upped security, but still not enough. To make schools safer, do people get buzzed into a "holding" type area where they sign in? After they sign in at the office does someone buzz open another set of doors so the person can go on their way? Would that have helped?

What about just keeping classroom doors closed and locked all day? I don't know. I'm at a loss. I'm getting ready to graduate with my degree in Elementary Education and I just cannot imagine the horror and panic that the teachers felt and are continuing to feel.

What about when subs are in the building? They aren't given keys to lock doors and the only classroom doors I'm familiar with require keys to both lock or unlock.

bbm
This school apparently had a big glass window near the locked door. :shaking my head:

Why THE HELL is the media calling the mother of the teacher???:banghead: She just found out her grandson killed his mom, 18 children and 6 adults?!?!?!

20 children and 6 adults.

So if the perp`s mother is not connected to the school then he randomly chose to kill as many schoolchildren as he could just because? sigh.

A bit O/T but:

I was spanked as a child and endured other punishments, such as slapping, along with a few instances of what today would, if I am not mistaken, be considered a crime.

I've struggled with low self-esteem and self-loathing my entire life. Cause and effect? No way to prove it beyond a doubt, but I believe so.

My parents did this not because they are evil people--they are not--but because they truly believed in that day and time that those were appropriate ways to discipline a child.

Based on my own experience I would never advocate spanking a child. Ever.

Is it appropriate to hit a spouse when they do something they shouldn't? A friend? A parent?

If not, why is it okay and even desirable to hit a child?

Izzy ::hugs:: I am right there with you. I was spanked, slapped, often times got my rear "whooped". It never made me behave. It made me sneaky. It made me resent my mother. My dad never laid a hand on me, and I have a somewhat healthy relationship with him. I cannot even be in the same room with my mother for extended periods of time. We don't talk on the phone or anything.

I vowed to be like my father and never lay a hand on my children. I am a firm believer that it truly is not necessary to raise well-adjusted adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam