Match! NM - Pagosa Springs, WhtFem 55UFNM, 25-35, Sep'82 *Margaret Walden*

Beats me. The detective on the case seems pretty tenacious, so it seems like he'd be breathing down their necks to either make the match or rule it out. :dunno:

http://www.pagosasun.com/second-victim-in-1982-double-homicide-identified/

Nearly 32 years after her body was found washed up on an island in the San Juan River, the female victim of a 1982 double homicide was positively identified as Margaret Ann Walden earlier this week — the week she would have turned 72.

Coincidentally, Walden’s body was also rediscovered on Wednesday — after years in an unmarked grave in an Espanola, N.M. church cemetery and several previous attempts to locate her body in the same cemetery.

Wow, the stats were off on this one. Like, really really off.

Estimated age: 25 - 35 years old
Margaret's age: 39

Estimated height: 5'2
Margaret's height: 5'10
(For the record, the last biggest height discrepancy in a WS match was 4 inches. That was in two different cases: Robert Donlick and Troy Kozkowski. Margaret's case was twice that.)

Estimated hair color: Brown
Margaret's hair color: Blonde

UP's medical history: Hysterectomy. No mention of any other surgery
Margaret's medical history: Mastectomy + bullet wound scar on chest. No mention of hysterectomy

When I look for PMs, I allow for three inches discrepancy in the estimated height and three years off the age range (if the person's estimated age is 40 - 50, I'll go 37 - 53). There's no way I would have hit on her; I would have ruled her out immediately just based on the height, and with the hair color + age difference to back it up. Actually, I'll go a step further and say I don't think LE would have even considered Margaret if it weren't for the jewelry that was on her, and the fact that she had run away with a sailor (which Stewart Simmons was).

Makes you wonder how many matches have been missed because of errors like that.

Thanks! I'm still scratching my head as both NamUs profiles are online!
I have to wonder why NamUs did not make the match?

edit - According to the newest article; (if I am reading it right) it sounds like NM held Jane Doe's sample but refused to test against Margo's relatives....

What am I missing? Both say DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete. This isn't a case I've followed so am unsure
Margaret Walden NamUs DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete
NamUs UP # 5326 DNA Sample submitted - Tests complete

I suppose I could make an entry for Margaret, but I'm not sure I understand why it's important to do. Is it for completeness' sake, or something else?

Congrats for solving these cases!

Second victim in 1982 double homicide identified
An amateur and a lead

The lead that ultimately led to the identification of both Simmons and Walden came to Barter through email from an amateur sleuth, Barter explained.

The unidentified sleuth, Barter explained in February, is part of a group of amateur sleuths who pore over websites filled with missing persons and cold cases, such as The Doe Network and NamUs (National Unidentified and Missing Persons System).

“I’ve spent literally hours and hours and hours in those databases,” Barter said after Simmons was identified in February, adding he believed the tip from the sleuth because other investigative work led him to believe the victim was in the Navy in California.

Simmons was identified through dental records on file with the Navy.

A second identification

Simmons, who went AWOL (absent without leave) from the Navy, had mentioned to his parents that he had met a woman, a waitress known as Margo, shortly before leaving California.

The amateur sleuth also pointed Barter to Walden as a possible identification for the female victim and Barter was able to make contact with the missing woman’s family and retrieve DNA samples from a missing persons file on her.

It was also revealed that Simmons and Walden, who often went by the name Margo, had gone missing from the same town in 1982 and, working with Walden’s family, Barter was able to learn that Walden had left town with a younger sailor.

Walden’s sister recalled that Walden was dating a younger sailor and the pair had gone on a camping trip together. Shortly before his disappearance, Simmons had rented camping equipment at the local Navy base.

Those stories also aligned with an old witness statement, Barter said.

Further adding to the idea that Walden was in fact Barter’s Jane Doe, Barter showed items found on the body to Walden’s sister — who identified both a coat she had seen Walden wear and jewelry the sister had given to Walden in 1973.

While Walden, who had been reported missing after she left California, was once married to a sailor, Barter said no dental records were found for her, either with the Navy or elsewhere, ruling out an identification via dental records.

What did exist, however, were DNA samples from Walden’s mom and sister

For what it's worth, and I don't remember the woman's name, and I don't recall the numbers with precision, the all time height discrepancy between the MP and the UID was 10 or more inches. [it was not a WS match] Going strictly from memory, there was a young woman who died in an accident involving a truck. I think she was a passenger in the truck and either she was from California or the accident happened in CA. I think the UID's measurement was the one that was wildly off.

I recall wondering how they could be that far off when they her corpse and it was not one of those situations where there had been a horrific fire.

I recall wondering how they could be that far off when they her corpse and it was not one of those situations where there had been a horrific fire.

Perhaps the height on the missing person report was overstated, and the estimated height of the UID was a little too low. Margaret's MP report says her hair is blonde, but it looks brown in the photo.

Thanks! I'm still scratching my head as both NamUs profiles are online!
I have to wonder why NamUs did not make the match?

edit - According to the newest article; (if I am reading it right) it sounds like NM held Jane Doe's sample but refused to test against Margo's relatives....

I have an answer. This goes to show that we can't assume DNA processed & complete means that NamUs holds them or ever that they were run through the same system. It just means that someone has the DNA on file.

The person I spoke to from NamUs said that one sample (Margo's family) was at CalDOJ lab and the other (Margo as JD) was at FBI. They do not know outside of UNT if they were at the level to be compared nationally.

33-year-old cold case finally leads to two arrests

http://www.abqjournal.com/804552/33yearold-cold-case-finally-leads-to-two-arrests.html

Late last week, Barter issued arrest warrants for two suspects in the 33-year-old case. Antoinette Palmer, 58, who also goes by the name Tina Madrid, was arrested in Mesa, Ariz., and booked into the Maricopa County Jail on two counts of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

And Martin Martinez, 70, who still lives in southern Archuleta County near where the bodies were found, was charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit murder.

The bodies were found in the San Juan River in a rural area of Colorado and New Mexico, about a month apart. They were decomposing, and while some locals had seen the two victims, nobody seemed to know who they were.

Two years ago, they were identified as Stewart Simmons, 20, and Margaret Walden, 39. Simmons was shot and Walden was strangled.

I'm so happy to see this arrest! So thankful their families will have justice! Prayers to their families <3

This should be listed as a match. I was the tipster. Wanted to remain anonymous, but brother I told shared it with Facebook. Wouldn't post here, but I've tried to send private messages to two mods and my sent box isn't showing anything.

I asked that Websleuths be credited, but the name didn't appear in the Pagosa Sun article. On the plus side, I guess I can blog about how many things had to go right with the info available online for the match to happen, in hopes that helps someone searching for a lost friend/loved one. Can forward email conversation with Detective Barter to a mod for verification, if they'd like. I'd just hoped this forum would get the credit.

So thankful vermontaigne called in the match! I'm sure it helped get justice

How awesome for the loved ones. Congratulations!!! What a gift that they can now be at peace.

Unfortunately, it looks like she's already been released :(

Woman accused of murder in 1982 cold case released from jail - By Nicole Perez - Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 at 5:02pm
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. &#8212; A woman accused of murder in a 1982 cold case has been released from jail and won&#8217;t be extradited to Colorado where the bodies of a man and woman were found decades ago, according to authorities.

Antoinette Palmer, 58, was arrested on a warrant for murder and conspiracy in Mesa, Ariz., on July 1.

Alex Lowe, deputy district attorney for Archuleta County in southern Colorado, wouldn&#8217;t say why authorities decided not to extradite Palmer. He said the case against her is &#8220;technically&#8221; still open and prosecutors are reviewing it.

Barter said Palmer was a suspect from the beginning, and blood and bullet casings were found in a bus she owned at the time of the murders. But the evidence laid out against her in the arrest warrant is mostly circumstantial, relying on interviews with people &#8212; including a confidential informant &#8212; who pointed to her as a suspect.

I'm so happy to see this arrest! So thankful their families will have justice! Prayers to their families <3

So thankful vermontaigne called in the match! I'm sure it helped get justice

Same here sis. Every time I visit these threads, I go away crying. I'm so proud of vermontaigne, and our other members who work so diligently on these cases. They all have a Lion's heart...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back