NY - Megan Wright, 19, suicide after no charges filed in dorm rape, 7 May 2006

This is so tragic and the preditors who raped her are out there able to do it again :(

VB

This is so tragic and the preditors who raped her are out there able to do it again :(

VB

Oh yeah! Since they got away with it this time thanks to the "good ole boy" network in that college they are free to rape and rape again.

Also, we MUST teach our daughters about the dangers of alcohol abuse.

What the *advertiser censored* does a SIGNED NOTE have to do with anything? Is it effing USUAL for a woman to write a declaration of consent before having willing sex! I am outraged!!!!!

What the *advertiser censored* does a SIGNED NOTE have to do with anything? Is it effing USUAL for a woman to write a declaration of consent before having willing sex! I am outraged!!!!!

And they will not turn over the tape to the mothers lawyers! I am betting the tape will get "accidently" destroyed.

It makes me sick.

This is ridiculous. No one signs a note of their intent to have sex...if her handwriting really matched and she still reported the rape, then perhaps the cops should be questioning if she signed that note of her own free will. I doubt it matches in the first place, that just doesn't make sense. I thought if you were drunk to the point of not being able to actually make that kind of decision, then it was rape regardless? This is just infuriating. Hopefully the mother is able to win her suit...maybe then LE will actually give this case the attention that it deserves. :furious:
RIP, dear Megan.:cry:

What a mess! That poor girl. I hope there's a much larger investigation now, which will include the school officials and the original police officers.

Seriously makes me want to go to law school.

I am outraged.

This happened several times while I was in college and although never witnessed it, knew about it - heard about it in detail. The girls involved were known to be loose and skeezy, but still...back in the day we were not educated to know it was a serious rape, we just knew better than to be like "those girls" who get too drunk and look for attention (not saying this girl was like that). Guys did not take advantage and hurt a girl that was not "into it" or just sleeping with everyone.

I am so sorry this happened to her. College is a dangerous place for the inexperienced, innocent and easliy addicted.

I would take the D.A. and put his nads in a vice.

That poor girl, what a horrifying thing for her to have gone through and then to be so betrayed by the people who were supposed to protect her (it's been established that schools are acting in loco parentis in certain regards).

I have to wonder if this is yet another case of a school that saw its own reputation as more important than the victim. There have been a lot of cases where schools downplayed and even denied major crimes for fear of scaring off potential students and/or donors.

If there was security footage, it may not be sufficient to convict the ones who actually committed the rape but at the very least, there should be a serious, intensive investigation.

That school needs to create an atmosphere where misogyny is not in any way encouraged or welcome. Where any form of misogyny is met with "not cool, man" with that bored, dismissive tone that teenaged boys use so effectively to police each other's behaviour.

Hey! A school where all the male students become feminists! That would be a wonderment indeed.

It makes you wonder how many times this is going to happen before a) the cops are going to take it seriously b) young men realize this is WRONG and will step in to stop it if they see it happening instead of participating, and c) young women realize that they have to be so careful about drinking and partying (not to blame the victim, but to say they have to take charge b/c no one else is looking out for them).

I was at FSU when the Pike (πKA) gang rape happened. It was horrific to watch the blame being put on the victim and how many people knew about it before hand and did nothing. There were fliers about the party advertising a "train" and all the alcohol. And then people had the nerve to come to their defense and say what good guys they were, and that they didn't deserve to be kicked off campus.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20113956,00.html

Like 50 percent of the women who fall victim to rape attempts and 75 percent of their attackers, Mary had been drinking before the rape occurred. Paradoxically, many people believe that a woman who uses alcohol is somehow more responsible for her behavior than a drunken man is for the way he may use her. In fact, because the legal definition of rape turns on the notion of "consent." any sexual contact with a woman too drunk to be capable of giving permission is technically a crime. But most people are ignorant of this, and young men often use liquor to "disable" women, according to Dr. Claire Walsh of the University of Florida's sexual-assault recovery program.

Mary, however, began drinking of her own accord, believing that tequila would help calm her nerves on the way to the stately Pi Kappa Alpha house, home of Florida State's most exclusive fraternity. A mere freshman, she was to be the date of 23-year-old Daniel Oltarsh, a handsome 6'2" junior with a trust fund. When she arrived, already intoxicated, Oltarsh handed her a bottle of wine and left her in his room to finish it—alone. Tests later placed her blood-alcohol level at .349 percent, enough to cause death.

Mary cannot remember what happened next, but police reports say that Oltarsh forced her to have sex with him, then took her to the fraternity shower room, where he was joined by at least two other Pi Kappa Alpha brothers in a group rape that included penetration of the victim with a toothpaste pump. Police later found her in the hallway of the Theta Chi house next door, where she had been dumped, unconscious, with her skirt pulled up, her underpants down and the initials of a third fraternity scrawled in ballpoint pen on her thighs. Though one of Oltarsh's accomplices admitted the rape to his fraternity brothers, the Pikes told investigators that they knew nothing about it.

...much more at link

I was a freshman at the time this happened, and it affected me profoundly. It breaks my heart that 20 years later nothing has changed. In fact, the Pikes were punished MORE than Meghan Wright's attackers - if only b/c "Mary" ended up dumped and left for dead.

How can we teach our girls to avoid these life shattering situations? How can we teach our sons that this is a terrible crime and not some party game???

http://www.bernicesandler.com/id50.htm

Angelmom, this happens way more than people realize. :(
A lot of times it goes unreported and then when it does get reported, the school works overtime to cover it up.

WHY would someone think that the written consent would let them off the hook. shouldn't that make them MORE suspicious? i've never heard of a woman giving written consent to having sex!!!!!! and the fact that he specifically went up to the security camera with it ... makes it more clear that he was trying to cover something up!!!!

im not surprised about this though. ive heard rumors at my university where girls' are pressured by the university -- and even paid off -- to drop rape charges.

If Orangetown still had their former Sgt working for them (she is retired) you can bet all those men would be charged and by now for sure!!

I would like to know if these were "star" athletes at the college?.....

I can't tell you how upsetting reading this stuff is.......almost too much....

Umm-how about the fact that the detective moonlighted at the college? Conflict of interest much?

AS much as the rapists themselves, the "non participants" who peered through the doorway high fiving one another should be expelled/punished as well. I think that gang rape is one of the most overtly cowardly, subtly homosexual acts. Do not misunderstand my post-I believe implicitly in same sex relationships...my statement has to do with what drives this act of aggression against the victim-IMO these guys are too chicken to have sex with one another, so they do it through the conduit of this poor victim.

I had a dear close friend whose monogamous boyfriend tied her to the bed in college under the pretense of exploring a sexual position-then he opened the door and let in his friends. It took me 8 hours over the phone to talk her out of committing suicide, so this issue is a hot button one with me.

...I had a dear close friend whose monogamous boyfriend tied her to the bed in college under the pretense of exploring a sexual position-then he opened the door and let in his friends. It took me 8 hours over the phone to talk her out of committing suicide, so this issue is a hot button one with me.

Please tell me that this and his friends were prosecuted. I hope that your friend has gone on to have a happy life.

I also hope that the sickos who raped this young girl will be prosecuted and the school and whoever else is involved in this coverup is sued.

This is sick, They need to investigate this! This kinda of stuff burns me up!!!!:furious: Its like The Accused with Jodie Foster, all high-fiving one another cheering it on little punks!

Everyone who is high-fiving should get their hands cut off.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back