LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artis, thank you for joining WS and sharing your perspective. We all are devastated by Mickey's disappearance and want her home!

That said, I have to say I stand with katy on our sleuthing and hypotheses. Most of us who have been here a long time have indeed seen many, many cases in which a perp turned out to be a formerly trusted individual.

We do have strict rules in place for sleuthing friends and families of victims. We're not allowed to pursue people who have not been named as persons of interest or suspects in the mainstream media.

However, analyzing any and all evidence that's made public is what we do. We're not always right or even close, and many times, we're wrong.

But the goal here is not to unjustly crucify anyone, but to share in intelligent, thoughtful discussion about the pieces of the story that we do have.

Body language happens to play a very important role in sleuthing. There have been countless cases in which sleuthers here noted "hinky" details in interviews that later were quite telling.

On the other hand, our impressions are certainly subjective and individual. That means we are as prone to error as anyone else.

I'm sorry so much of these discussions have been unpleasant and provoking. All of us feel the pain and frustration with the evils that occur and the difficulty in tracking down those responsible. But we're also thankful to have a place here at WS where we're free to come together, discuss, agree, disagree, and hopefully -- when all is said and done -- bring justice to the victims and their loved ones.

Very sincerely...

Hey, I'm new, and I've been stalking this thread for a while. Why has no one considered the convention that was held at the Hilton that same weekend? Lots of people from out of town could have attended.

I can see how they would sound scary, but first off, they're mostly open -- you can see into them for a really long way. They pass under roads, but they're so deep that I think at most overpasses, it would be impossible for someone to, say, hide in the coulee under the road and then climb up and grab you as you came by. It'd be too far of a climb to do quickly, and it's mostly vertical concrete, not an easy climbing surface.

Think of them as small rivers that generally don't have any water in them. (When it rains, though, they fill up shockingly quickly.)

My friend has relatives in Lafayette. She used to go and spend time with her cousins over the years. She told me that they were running around under there , a bunch of them just having fun, but a flash flood came out of nowhere, and they almost got trapped. So I suppose things cannot stay hidden under there forever.

Thanks for the welcome :)

I don't see any 'evidence' to suspect Brettly. He was taken apart because of his looks, vocabulary, whatever. Other than being the last friend with Mickey, there was NOTHING to implicate him in any way. Of course, I'm familiar with people being murdered by those close them but there's usually more to those stories. What we know about Mickey and Brettly is that they were planning on moving to NOLA, as roommates. I also didn't find anything creepy or weird about him! On the contrary, he seems like a really cool guy. I like guys who can be platonic friends with women. I've had many a close male friend.

Anyway, it's not my intent to be argumentative. I have a thing about unfairly judging (and endless speculating) about others. DO UNTO OTHERS and remember it could be YOU.

After week one, I get nervous and agitated.

After month one, I get determined.

After 6 months, I get despondent.

After one year, I become resolved.

That's where I am with the Holly Bobo case....and it doesn't feel good.

I don't see any 'evidence' to suspect Brettly. He was taken apart because of his looks, vocabulary, whatever. Other than being the last friend with Mickey, there was NOTHING to implicate him in any way. Of course, I'm familiar with people being murdered by those close them but there's usually more to those stories. What we know about Mickey and Brettly is that they were planning on moving to NOLA, as roommates. I also didn't find anything creepy or weird about him! On the contrary, he seems like a really cool guy. I like guys who can be platonic friends with women. I've had many a close male friend.

Anyway, it's not my intent to be argumentative. I have a thing about unfairly judging (and endless speculating) about others. DO UNTO OTHERS and remember it could be YOU.

I appreciate your opinion but I think Brettly came across as both creepy and weird. I felt we had an "unrequited love" scenario. But I was wrong. Well, maybe I was wrong....Brettly could have wanted more and I honestly believe in my heart he did. But he didn't hurt Mickey and I'm certainly glad we can confirm that now.

I feel for him...and also for Mickey's family. What sadness and desperation they must feel at this time....

:welcome: to WS, and I agree with MOST of your post.

But about Brettly, we might disagree. I am very relieved that they have video showing he was telling the truth. And I WANTED to believe his story initially. But you must understand that we have followed many sad cases here where the 'good friend', and last one to see her, ended up being the perpetrator. So we tend to get jaded and suspicious. I did make a post in which I apologized for feeling so suspicious. But he fit much of the criteria for a valid suspect. And that is what sleuthing is all about-- The percentages and the statistics. Chances are, the last one to see a missing woman, especially if they are intimately involved, is likely to be involved in her situation. But not always.

I know, that's why sometimes I've felt uncomfortable posting my thoughts when I knew peeps directly involved with a case were posting too. Not this case but in another one (that remains unsolved), I was misunderstood and went to bat for myself and feelings on both sides escalated. Just before I lost it I put myself in a time out because it's never my intention/desire to hurt hurting people more than they are hurting already. But we're here to discuss possibilties of what may have happened to a victim with a goal of justice being served. So it can get tricky. Except for in rare cases, I try to stay away from posting 'I think so&so did it or this one is surely guilty' until evidence stacks up that way.

IMO it would be extremely hard to be accused continually in the public eye when you know you didn't do it and you love the person (or even if you don't know the person). It would definitely drive one to experience frustration if not a form of justified rage imo. Some perps are so obviously guilty imo (like Josh Powell) that, to this day, I can't understand why there wasn't an arrest made before further tragedy struck. Sometimes the law/s stand in the way of justice being served imo. Shameful.

I understand your feelings. You see nothing suspicious about him. But everyone has their own personal life experiences. I have seen 'platonic' friends with his demeanor suddenly change their spots. I am not saying he was that way, but how can one know from just seeing somebody on a video snippet? But I thought it was was quite possible that he had feelings for her beyond the platonic ones. I have seen that happen. A best friend of my 20 yr old daughter did something just like that. He portrayed himself as her 'best buddy' for over a year, hung out all of the time, helped her move to her new apartment, and then one night, after they drank at a friends 21st birthday bash, he FLIPPED OUT and began crying that he really loved her, and got angry because she didn't feel the same way. My 24 yr old son got a call from her in the middle of the night to go over and help her out of the volatile situation. So that was in the back of my mind, I will admit.

It is just unfair, but bad luck when you are the last one to see someone who goes missing. it might be unfair, but you ARE going to be a person of interest. It has to be that way because the investigation has to start with the last time the person is reported seen alive. Brettly did a great job with that horrible situation, and I was less suspicious of him than I might have been if he was not so sincere sounding. But still, I had some doubts, until we saw the video of her riding away.

From the Daily Advertiser:

BREAKING: Police seeking more vehicles in Shunick investigation
http://alturl.com/gnu6w

Detectives have provided an updated picture of the initial vehicle of interest and the pictures of two additional vehicles that were in the area during the same time frame when Mickey Shunick was last captured on surveillance footage.

The first truck drove from the area that Mickey had traveled.

It is evident from the new photo that the vehicle has a bed cover and tinted windows.

fxuryw.jpg

wcbgbn.jpg

119x8y9.jpg

qpfd44.jpg

fxuryw.jpg

wcbgbn.jpg

119x8y9.jpg

A bed cover and tinted windows. Very interesting. That will hopefully put to rest the assertions that she's sitting on the edge of the rear bumper. Likewise, a bed cover makes it easier for a perp to hide a person and a bike.

Hey, I'm new, and I've been stalking this thread for a while. Why has no one considered the convention that was held at the Hilton that same weekend? Lots of people from out of town could have attended.

Because you're the first person to bring it up! What was the subject of the convention and where's the Hilton located?

Welcome to WS and thanks for the new angle.

And that truck is travelling in the opposite direction at the same site, by the circle K!

ETA: Oh I see now it's a different white truck, not the same as the first one.

OK...when I see that crazy truck, I feel the need to throw up. This person had to see Mickey....had to.

Because you're the first person to bring it up! What was the subject of the convention and where's the Hilton located?

Welcome to WS and thanks for the new angle.

It was an anime convention, previous anime conventions have been held there in Lafayette. The con was called Louisianime. Their Facebook page says it was held at the Hilton Lafayette, the one located on W. Pinhook Rd. Louisianime's website is down, but I believe you can contact them through their Facebook page.

I do not really expect any foul play involved with the convention, but I just figured since it took place the same weekend it was worth checking out.

I never commented or posted my impressions of BW's interview simply because I'm local and sensed it might be a bad idea to introduce my thoughts on that so early in the case.

But now that he's been factually eliminated, I feel comfortable sharing my gut reaction to the interview.

His demeanor did strike me as odd, compared to all the other family/friend interviews I've watched in other cases. But in my mind, odd did not equate guilty. Just odd, something to take note of as the case unfolds. Sometimes, odd will creep higher on my suspicion scale if other puzzle pieces seem to match in time. Other times, odd will simply remain odd.

In any case, I go with the flow of my instinct and logic. And, sadly, if that leads me to spend more time speculating on a friend or family member, as unpleasant as it is, I go with it. After all, only the victim knows exactly who, where, when, and why. I think most of us are most concerned with giving the victim a voice and justice, no matter how unpleasant some theories may be.

My two cents...

Are we being flogged? We're happy that BW proves out to be who he and his friends (who stood by him) say he is - we didn't know him from Adam prior to MS going missing. Everyone has moved on from suspecting him in any way and we are supporting him and recognize his efforts toward finding MS and bringing her home.

It is good that the 80s/90s car is more distinctive than the 4 door truck. Those white trucks are all over the place around here. Today I saw like 10 of them in the span of a few minutes. Hope that someone notices the body work on the car. Hoping....... it is getting harder to hope for a good outcome, but closure is better than unsolved, and one can still hope for closure. I hope.

After week one, I get nervous and agitated.

After month one, I get determined.

After 6 months, I get despondent.

After one year, I become resolved.

That's where I am with the Holly Bobo case....and it doesn't feel good.

Yikes, actually I've made some pretty bold statements regarding that case that I don't know if they are justified or not. That's a tough one and one day I'm sure of (insert theory) and the next day I'm uncertain again. :waitasec: How are they ever going to solve that case? (rhetorical ?)

fxuryw.jpg

wcbgbn.jpg

119x8y9.jpg

qpfd44.jpg

White pick ups must be a dime a dozen so that's going to be hard. That last car, though, makes me think of a psychic vision that I read about a gold car. I can't tell if that's gold, though. Not that the psychic stuff ever amounts to anything. I wish it were that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah