South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been giving this some thought. It might be that the boys involved were rumored to have "taken her virginity" and that could be proven in an autopsy. IDK - just thinking out loud.

As a teacher of almost 20 years now - there are LOT of PROBLEMS in our school throughout this country. Bullying is a HUGE problem - but one that has been around as long as school itself.

Here in Broward county, FloriDUH - we were the first to boast that our public schools have adopted and instituted an "Anti Bullying Policy". All I have to say about this is - this "policy" was already in effect when Michael Brewer was lit on fire and Josie Ratley had her head kicked in - soooooo......I have to ask the School "Bored" members here - "How's that wokrin' out for ya?"

Prayers for Phoebe's family.
How would that prove anything during autopsy? Even if autopsy shows that the person was sexually active, it will say nothing of with whom that person was sexually active with.

I don't know what evidence the prosecutors have.
No, we don't, but I can speculate.
It appears nothing was reported to authorities regarding any sexual activity at the time she was alive, so how would it be possible for prosecution to have any sort of physical evidence?

I do not blame her parents for any of this nor it's very tragic ending. It amazes that some would and do. When we as parents address the problem that causes great concern for our own beloveds, there is nothing that we wouldn't do for them. Nothing. We talk to our beloveds to learn the story, we go to the proper places/people and speak with them. We do the best that we can do. We trust. We believe. We continue to love and support our beloveds as only we know how.

If this family had any idea that their daughter would commit suicide, do you think they would not have tried, at every cost, to prevent it? Do you not think that for one moment they question everything they did, didn't do, could have done, should have done? Their heart pain must be beyond comprehension.

It eludes me how blame is so quick and harsh. I know the effects of suicide. Sadly, several family members for different "reasons". Until you understand total emotional/physical abuse, be careful to speak against those who are just as much victims as the person who killed themself is.

I hope MA takes this to the max and these "people" who abused her to the point she felt worthless are held accountable. They absolutely know right from wrong. I have no sympathy for any one of them. And, yes, I hope as an example for the future ugliness against another human being.

imvho

It appears nothing was reported to authorities regarding any sexual activity at the time she was alive, so how would it be possible for prosecution to have any sort of physical evidence?

Apparently, the prosecuters have something or it would not be part of the documents listed for cause.

I'm sure we will know at some point.

imvho

Charge her with what?
Talking to the press? Do you know of the term "free speech?"

You know I really to not care what they charge her with and I do not think that is what our forefathers had in mind with freedom of speech. Just because you are free to speak does not mean you should. I am heart5broken for the parents first having to lose their daughter and then having her blamed.

The two are unrelated. The right to free speech is a protection against governmental prior restraint, you can still be prosecuted for the content of your speech or the actions others take as a result of your speech under various laws, and you can be subject to civil liability (money damages) for defamation.

If her child is a minor she can be held responsible for the actions of her child both civilly and criminally depending on the situation.

That is what I said in an earlier post. i think if they started charging parents then parents of bullies mighty begin to take things more seriously.

You know I really to not care what they charge her with and I do not think that is what our forefathers had in mind with freedom of speech. Just because you are free to speak does not mean you should. I am heart5broken for the parents first having to lose their daughter and then having her blamed.
What is the point of saying she should be charged when she did not break any laws so there is nothing to charge her with?

The two are unrelated. The right to free speech is a protection against governmental prior restraint, you can still be prosecuted for the content of your speech or the actions others take as a result of your speech under various laws, and you can be subject to civil liability (money damages) for defamation.

If her child is a minor she can be held responsible for the actions of her child both civilly and criminally depending on the situation.

There is absolutely nothing in the content of her speech that would get her prosecuted.

It happened here this weekend. A young man was bullied because he was "too short" and he commited suicide on Sunday. More at link: http://cbs11tv.com/local/jon.carmichael.teen.2.1601157.html

It is a shame that children cannot go to school and enjoy the experience of social interaction. I am deeply saddened by the youth of today with so little regard for human life.

It happened here this weekend. A young man was bullied because he was "too short" and he commited suicide on Sunday. More at link: http://cbs11tv.com/local/jon.carmichael.teen.2.1601157.html

It is a shame that children cannot go to school and enjoy the experience of social interaction. I am deeply saddened by the youth of today with so little regard for human life.

Oh my :(...these poor kids...thanks for posting this link, Kaelee...

At least 2 tied to Phoebes death have been expelled...some are asking for the principal and superintendent to resign...

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1243562&format=comments&cnum=2

"Monday’s bombshell indictments of nine teens in the Phoebe Prince tragedy have parents peppering authorities with bullying complaints, including a flurry to one prosecutor whose “phone is ringing off the hook.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...kids_face_harass_rap_on_heels_of_prince_case/

From Ireland...

"A portrait of a fun loving and popular young girl drawn from comments by friends both here in America and back in Ireland has emerged about Phoebe Prince, the tragic young Irish girl who was bullied to death.

Locals in Fanore a small village in West Clare, who remember her fondly are happy justice is now being served as news crosses the Atlantic this week that nine teenagers were charged in connection with the suicide of the local Irish girl .

Pat O’Donoghue, proprietor of O’Donoghue’s Bar in the small seaside town told Irishcentral.com on Tuesday the village welcomed the news that the teenagers in South Hadley, Massachusetts involved in bullying Phoebe before she took her own life will be held accountable."

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Fu...mbered-by-Irish-and-US-friends--89571197.html

Her Mom is American, her Dad, British...but I guess Phoebe was raised in Ireland...

"Phoebe moved from England to Fanore when she was two with her British father, Jeremy Prince, and her American mother, Annie O’Brien Prince, her sisters Lauren, Tessa and Bridget, and brother Simon."

They stalked her online...all over...
"The 15-year-old was allegedly targeted by a group known as the 'Mean Girls' after she started dating a popular senior football player at her school.
Pupils said Phoebe was called 'Irish *advertiser censored*' and '*advertiser censored*' on Twitter, Craigslist, Facebook and Formspring.

Her books were knocked out of her hands, items were flung at her, her face was scribbled out of photographs on the school walls, and threatening text messages were sent to her cell phone."
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...icide-death-Irish-new-girl.html#ixzz0jl7pm3VO

"'From information known to investigators thus far, it appears that Phoebe's death on January 14 followed a tortuous day for her, in which she was subjected to verbal harassment and threatened physical abuse.
'The harassment occurred while she studied in the school's library around lunch period, walked in the school's hallways near the end of the school day and after school, as she walked toward her home.'
She added that staff at the school, which cannot be identified for legal reasons, witnessed some of the bullying, but took no action.
'On the day of her death, primarily three individuals - one male and two females - were involved in the assaultive behaviour which appears to have been motivated by the group's displeasure with Phoebe's brief dating relationship with the male student that had ended some six weeks previous,' Mrs Scheibel said.
She added that numerous faculty members, staff members and administrators at South Hadley High School were aware of the bullying - some even witnessed physical abuse - and did nothing."

This is the journalist that was/is Phoebes angel, imo...Cullen brings Phoebe to life in his writings. I sent him an email thanking him for standing for Phoebe, yesterday. He emailed me back last night with a simple "Thanks". :) Might be a repeat but it's a moving piece...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/01/24/the_untouchable_mean_girls/

Last week, Phoebe was supposed to visit Ireland, where she grew up, and she was excited because she was going to see her father for the first time in months.

She did end up going back to Ireland after all, and when her father saw her she was in a casket.

Phoebe’s family decided to bury her in County Clare. They wanted an ocean between her and the people who hounded her to the grave."

I do not blame her parents for any of this nor it's very tragic ending. It amazes that some would and do. When we as parents address the problem that causes great concern for our own beloveds, there is nothing that we wouldn't do for them. Nothing. We talk to our beloveds to learn the story, we go to the proper places/people and speak with them. We do the best that we can do. We trust. We believe. We continue to love and support our beloveds as only we know how.

If this family had any idea that their daughter would commit suicide, do you think they would not have tried, at every cost, to prevent it? Do you not think that for one moment they question everything they did, didn't do, could have done, should have done? Their heart pain must be beyond comprehension.

It eludes me how blame is so quick and harsh. I know the effects of suicide. Sadly, several family members for different "reasons". Until you understand total emotional/physical abuse, be careful to speak against those who are just as much victims as the person who killed themself is.

I hope MA takes this to the max and these "people" who abused her to the point she felt worthless are held accountable. They absolutely know right from wrong. I have no sympathy for any one of them. And, yes, I hope as an example for the future ugliness against another human being.

imvho

I'm sure her parents never even considered the possibility that she would have killed herself. That really isn't the point. They WERE aware she was relentlessly tormented and abused and yet they continued to send her back for more. That's what I have a HUGE problem with.

They will not need any physical evidence most likely. These kids were using electronic media to torture the girl, so there will be e mails, texts, and voice mails to present as evidence. There are most likely also photos and videos included in that. Since these kids chose this method of abuse, it is highly unlikely that they would not also use cell phone cameras and computers to make videos of whatever they cared to, and most likely sent copies of such to numerous other kids who were not directly involved. IMO.....the same weapons that they were using to attack this girl with will be the main evidence that will prove the charges against them. Also, remember, they have interviewed these kids and many others, so they may have actual confessions of such behavior to back up their other evidence.

jmoo

Anger turns toward Staff in Phoebe's case! Good!

"Enraged by revelations that staff members at South Hadley High School knew that Phoebe Prince was the target of withering harassment long before her death, residents and public officials yesterday angrily accused the school system of neglecting vulnerable students and called on top administrators to resign.

"Now we find out they knew all along, and did nothing,’’ said Joe Marois, who runs a local construction company. “People are just bewildered they didn’t step in, and are wondering why they weren’t included with the students in the prosecution.’’
http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...r_turns_toward_school_staff_in_bullying_case/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend