GUILTY CA - Caren Ramirez & 3 others for imprisonment, torture of 16yo boy, Tracy, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Joaquin County judge is expected to decide Monday the punishment for three people who beat, burned and held a teenager captive for more than a year.

The scheduled sentencing comes two years after a soot- and sore-covered Kyle Ramirez, then 16, stumbled into a Tracy health club nearly naked with a chain shackled to his ankle after escaping abuse.

As part of their agreement, prosecutors withdrew a charge of torture, which could have led to life in prison.

Each now faces sentences of at least 30 years in prison. And legal experts believe because of the severity of the crime, all three could get maximum sentences

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/04/suspects-to-be-sentenced-for-teen-torture-case/

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — Three adults who admitted to holding captive and torturing a 16-year-old boy for more than a year each are headed to prison for at least 30 years.

Michael Schumacher, his wife Kelly Lau and the teen’s legal guardian Caren Ramirez learned their fates Monday after pleading guilty in October to more than a dozen felonies.

Ramirez got the harshest sentence of 34 years, while Lau got 33 years and Schumacher got 30 years behind bars.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/sentencing-for-three-who-admitted-to-tracy-teen-abuse/

I hope Kyle is doing ok now. It is too bad that these 3 are only getting 30 some years,
they could be out in less I would think. They will still be able to harm someone else.
Good luck to you Kyle.

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — Three adults who admitted to holding captive and torturing a 16-year-old boy for more than a year each are headed to prison for at least 30 years.

Michael Schumacher, his wife Kelly Lau and the teen’s legal guardian Caren Ramirez learned their fates Monday after pleading guilty in October to more than a dozen felonies.

Ramirez got the harshest sentence of 34 years, while Lau got 33 years and Schumacher got 30 years behind bars.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/sentencing-for-three-who-admitted-to-tracy-teen-abuse/

Really good article! Wish I could have watched the sentencing live. Right on Judge!

Really good article! Wish I could have watched the sentencing live. Right on Judge!

My favorite part in the article (Goooooo Auntie!):

“My family waited two years for this day to face you sadistic, demented monsters who tortured and abused Kyle every day — every day,” said Sydney Perry, the teen’s aunt. “And where you’re going, you’re going to be with monsters just like you.”

Perry was especially harsh towards Caren Ramirez.
“You’re an evil and dispicable woman. You’re trash and you shoud’ve been taken out a long time ago. Today is your day to be taken out.”

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — The fate of a man convicted of torturing a teenage boy held captive in a neighbor’s Northern California home for more than a year has been delayed.

San Joaquin County prosecutors said Tuesday’s scheduled sentencing for Anthony Waiters was postponed as his defense attorney seeks a new trial.

Waiters was found guilty in November of aggravated mayhem, torture, kidnapping and false imprisonment of then-16-year-old Kyle Ramirez.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/01/18/sentencing-delayed-in-calif-teen-torture-case/

Abused boy files claim against Sacramento child proteciton agency

Published: Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 - 11:35 am
Last Modified: Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 - 11:54 am

A legal claim against Sacramento County's Child Protective Services was filed this morning in Superior Court, as expected, on behalf of a young man known publicly only as Kyle Doe.

The Bee reported earlier today that Kyle, who endured a year of ritualistic abuse in a Tracy home before escaping in late 2008, planned to file the claim today through his attorney, John Demas.

A spokesperson for the Demas firm said the filing took place shortly after 9 a.m. A claim is the first step toward a lawsuit, which Demas said he expects to file within a month.

The claim asks for unspecified damages from CPS for allegedly ignoring evidence of chronic abuse and neglect inflicted upon Kyle while he was living in the Sacramento area with his mother's friend, Caren Ramirez.
According to court testimony in a criminal trial of Ramirez and others last year, she later took him to a Tracy home where he was tortured and held captive for about a year. He is now 18 years old and lives with his aunt and uncle.

Kyle's mother, Susan Cardiff, had given custody of him and his older brother to Ramirez in 2001. Cardiff died in 2008.

Ramirez, Michael Schumacher, Kelly Lau and Anthony Waiters were convicted in San Joaquin Superior Court last year of charges that will keep each of them in prison for at least three decades.
CPS has declined to comment on the claim.

<snip>

Waiters was sentenced Monday morning. He was found guilty in November of aggravated mayhem, torture, kidnapping and false imprisonment of then-16-year-old Kyle...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/02/28/suspect-in-tracy-teen-torture-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/

Yay! Guess that trial didn't work out too well, huh dumbazz?

I only wish the other abusers would have rolled the dice, too!

Praying for Kyle's complete recovery. Can't wait to see what he grows up to be!

By Sophia Kazmi
Contra Costa Times

Posted: 02/28/2011 10:57:48 AM PST
Updated: 02/28/2011 06:28:39 PM PST

STOCKTON -- A Tracy man, who will spend a minimum of 18 years and eight months in state prison for torturing a teenage boy, told the court Monday that he did not do it.
Anthony Waiters, 31, who was convicted in November, said he was dumbfounded when a jury found him guilty. He maintained his innocence before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Terrence Van Oss pronounced his sentence Monday.
He told the court he has love and respect for "Mr. Kyle" and his family.
"I'm not a malevolent person," Waiters said.
A jury found Waiters guilty of torture, two counts of aggravated mayhem and six other charges for physically abusing Kyle Ramirez.
Kyle was 16 when he escaped Dec. 1, 2008, from the Tennis Lane home of Waiter's neighbors. Kyle ran to a nearby gym, begging for help. Emaciated, bloody and scarred, he wore nothing but boxer shorts and a chain around his ankle.
Van Oss, who said that this case is the most bizarre he has ever seen, sentenced Waiters to three life terms to be served concurrently for the torture and aggravated mayhem charges. Waiters received 11 years, eight months for the remaining charges, time that must be served before the life sentences kick in. Also, Waiters must serve seven years of the life sentences before he may be considered for parole.
Waiters is the last of four people arrested in the case to be sentenced. In December, his neighbors Kelly Lau and Michael Schumacher, and Kyle's former-guardian, Caren Ramirez, were each sentenced to at least 30 years in prison for their part in the abuse. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

Yup-dude is pure as the driven snow. Didnt notice that Mr Kyle was covered with sores, half naked, beaten and had a chain around one ankle either.

Given his attitude regarding his innocence, let's hope the 18 years is closer to life.

I don't understand people like this. How in the world could they hold another person against their will and make them do housework and abuse them in ways we won't even know? Seriously... I don't get how people could have such lack of compassion and outright sadistic behavior and try to get away with it! And why in the world would BOTH of them be willing to do this? You would think one of them would have some sort of conscience! And it says they had 4 children? Where were the other 4 children? Why didn't they say anything?

I am just disgusted that people like this exist... people that would take advantage of another life. :mad:

Remember Sylvia Lykens?

By Sophia Kazmi
Contra Costa Times

Posted: 02/28/2011 10:57:48 AM PST
Updated: 02/28/2011 06:28:39 PM PST

STOCKTON -- A Tracy man, who will spend a minimum of 18 years and eight months in state prison for torturing a teenage boy, told the court Monday that he did not do it.
Anthony Waiters, 31, who was convicted in November, said he was dumbfounded when a jury found him guilty. He maintained his innocence before San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Terrence Van Oss pronounced his sentence Monday.
He told the court he has love and respect for "Mr. Kyle" and his family.
"I'm not a malevolent person," Waiters said.
A jury found Waiters guilty of torture, two counts of aggravated mayhem and six other charges for physically abusing Kyle Ramirez.
Kyle was 16 when he escaped Dec. 1, 2008, from the Tennis Lane home of Waiter's neighbors. Kyle ran to a nearby gym, begging for help. Emaciated, bloody and scarred, he wore nothing but boxer shorts and a chain around his ankle.
Van Oss, who said that this case is the most bizarre he has ever seen, sentenced Waiters to three life terms to be served concurrently for the torture and aggravated mayhem charges. Waiters received 11 years, eight months for the remaining charges, time that must be served before the life sentences kick in. Also, Waiters must serve seven years of the life sentences before he may be considered for parole.
Waiters is the last of four people arrested in the case to be sentenced. In December, his neighbors Kelly Lau and Michael Schumacher, and Kyle's former-guardian, Caren Ramirez, were each sentenced to at least 30 years in prison for their part in the abuse. more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

I'm bumping this because I never heard that the monsters had been sentenced and I'm sure others may not be aware as well. I was just thinking about Kyle and wanted to know what happened to him. I hope he is continuing to heal and is doing well. I hope he can go to college and lead a wonderful life.

I wonder what happened to Schumaker and Lau's kids. I also wonder what happened with Kyle's civil suit against CPS.

Yup-dude is pure as the driven snow. Didnt notice that Mr Kyle was covered with sores, half naked, beaten and had a chain around one ankle either.

Given his attitude regarding his innocence, let's hope the 18 years is closer to life.

I bet it will be. He gambled. I bet ya' he argued vehemently with his attorney against a plea deal because in his mind, it's okay to abuse a child. They are property to him, I'm sure and he couldn't imagine that others would be horrified.

Sad thing is, the other three were worse. They deserved life too. I hope they never make it out of prison alive.

As for this idiot, what purpose would Kyle possibly have to lie? Yeah, blame the victim. Call him a liar. Shows the content of his character. That defense right there would be enough for me to convict him.

I'm happy the four are cooling their heals in prison. They enjoyed torturing an innocent boy. Like attracts like and they found others as soulless as themselves. They should never see the light of day again and when they die, dead they shall remain.

I know it's an old case but I think of remarkable Kyle often. I hope he is healing well and doing alright today.

Just wanted to add that once upon a time I lived about a mile away from where this happened - but had left the state before it came out. I was not shocked (sadly) to learn neighbors had no clue, or didn't want to get involved. My neighbors never said hello, they never even made eye contact with me if we were washing our cars in basically touching driveways. It's how Tracy was at the time and I can't imagine it got any better with the even-greater population explosion it went through after I left. (Maybe MOO, of course.)

Get out, say hello, bring food, keep an eye on each other (and an eye out for the hinky). Can't hurt and sure might help!

Oh, and hello Websleuths! Long-time reader here that finally got the guts to join. :seeya:

I know it's an old case but I think of remarkable Kyle often. I hope he is healing well and doing alright today.

Just wanted to add that once upon a time I lived about a mile away from where this happened - but had left the state before it came out. I was not shocked (sadly) to learn neighbors had no clue, or didn't want to get involved. My neighbors never said hello, they never even made eye contact with me if we were washing our cars in basically touching driveways. It's how Tracy was at the time and I can't imagine it got any better with the even-greater population explosion it went through after I left. (Maybe MOO, of course.)

Get out, say hello, bring food, keep an eye on each other (and an eye out for the hinky). Can't hurt and sure might help!

Oh, and hello Websleuths! Long-time reader here that finally got the guts to join. :seeya:

:welcome:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back