Why do we do this?

sillygilly

Reaction score
Just curious...I was almost abducted as a child on 2 occasions and it haunts me to this day, nc license plate #EH996 from the '70's and wondered if he got other kids that didn't run.:mad: I've even thought about having a gps chip put in my daughter, if that was possible. Can't believe how many people and children just get lost and how much heartbreak there is out there.

wow. I can sort of relate. my sister was almost abducted when she was 12. she didn't tell anyone for years. I don't know if that's the reason that I have this unusual hobby, or if it's just that it's a puzzle that, once solved, actually impacts a lot of lives.

Just curious...I was almost abducted as a child on 2 occasions and it haunts me to this day, nc license plate #EH996 from the '70's and wondered if he got other kids that didn't run.:mad: I've even thought about having a gps chip put in my daughter, if that was possible. Can't believe how many people and children just get lost and how much heartbreak there is out there.

I am also overwhelmed at how many children and adults are just missing / poof / vanished / gone forever

I believe I was nearly abducted, too. When I was a little girl I was playing with my older brother and his friends on our bikes. We were playing hide and seek and I was about seven blocks from home and couldn't find them, I noticed an old green cadillac following me. I started swerving down the side streets and it kept following me, I even drove up a drive way so I could turn around and the car did the same thing. Thank God I saw an adult on a walk so I went up to her and the car drove away! I told my Mom and she said she made a police report but I STILL had to walk the seven or eight blocks BY MYSELF to school every morning and evening. :mad:

I guess it's just a quirky interest, I find it fascinating but can't do it too often because I tend to get scared. Which is why I don't like it when people put post mortem pictures without a warning. I get freaked out so I tend to start every few months. Now that I'm trying to find my John Doe I've been on WS a lot more. I didn't know other people had this interest. I have spent literaly, four or five hours on doenetwork and websleuths alone... better log off! :angel:

I believe I was nearly abducted, too. When I was a little girl I was playing with my older brother and his friends on our bikes. We were playing hide and seek and I was about seven blocks from home and couldn't find them, I noticed an old green cadillac following me. I started swerving down the side streets and it kept following me, I even drove up a drive way so I could turn around and the car did the same thing. Thank God I saw an adult on a walk so I went up to her and the car drove away! I told my Mom and she said she made a police report but I STILL had to walk the seven or eight blocks BY MYSELF to school every morning and evening. :mad:

I guess it's just a quirky interest, I find it fascinating but can't do it too often because I tend to get scared. Which is why I don't like it when people put post mortem pictures without a warning. I get freaked out so I tend to start every few months. Now that I'm trying to find my John Doe I've been on WS a lot more. I didn't know other people had this interest. I have spent literaly, four or five hours on doenetwork and websleuths alone... better log off! :angel:

Danaya I also get scared sometimes, it puts my brain into hyper drive and hyper vigilance

What is it about GREEN CARS ? A girl at my daughters school was Approached and NEARLY abducted in the afternoon one day walking from her friends house to her house by a Person in a GREEN CAR !

I see vulnerable kids walking to and from school EVERY DAY. Makes me so crazy! I'm sorry, but if you can't personally take to or pick up your babies from school, find someone who can!!! It's really not that difficult to ask for help when your children's well-being is at stake. I sometimes wish everyone had to spend some time on WS just to have an idea of what kind of evil is out there, everywhere, everyday.

I see vulnerable kids walking to and from school EVERY DAY. Makes me so crazy! I'm sorry, but if you can't personally take to or pick up your babies from school, find someone who can!!! It's really not that difficult to ask for help when your children's well-being is at stake. I sometimes wish everyone had to spend some time on WS just to have an idea of what kind of evil is out there, everywhere, everyday.

I totally agree - Pre schoolers being put on buses !

ITs Wrong.

If you cant look after your children then dont bother having them - and if you work , make it work so that you arre there for them before and after school or a grandparent or Aunt is.

The people I see offend the most is people who want *ME* time

I havent had ME time for nearly 6 years !

I had it for 35 years prior to that and I will have it again.

I totally agree - Pre schoolers being put on buses !

ITs Wrong.

If you cant look after your children then dont bother having them - and if you work , make it work so that you arre there for them before and after school or a grandparent or Aunt is.

The people I see offend the most is people who want *ME* time

I havent had ME time for nearly 6 years !

I had it for 35 years prior to that and I will have it again.

Lol, and now that I have a one year old my Mom is always like "You're so much like me when I was parenting!" I think she conveniently forgets a lot of stuff. :waitasec: I hated walking those blocks every day to school escpecially since our Winters used to get to the thirty below point pretty much everyday. I can't believe she let me keep walking after that happened. I was probably nine years old and I remember rushing as fast as I could home on my little mountain bike, just terrified and looking out for that green car... :snooty:

I also used to get scared of Doe reconstruction pics. that, and "wanted" sketches. I guess the more I looked at them, the more desensitized I got to it. It kind of scares me now that maybe I'm TOO desensitized, because I can look at all these UID descriptions and they barely faze me as shocking anymore, I'm just like ok, what are vitals, what's something I can search on here? I guess I am just preparing myself for the inevitability of looking at actual bloody or decomposing post-mortem photos when I go back to school.

Me too! I see small children playing outside at dusk, children walking by themselves, we even had two children come to our house to sell products after dark one night, with no parents around. It makes me crazy. I actually scolded those kids and made them go home, with me walking them, so I knew they got home ok. I wanted to slap the mother.

I was almost abducted as a child too, but I only vaguely remember it. My mom tells me that we were in a Grants store (the Target of the old days, lol) and she turned away from me for a couple of minutes, thinking I was right next to her. When she turned around and could not find me, she started to move down the aisles, and she found me walking OUT of the store with a woman. My mother ran up screaming, and the woman let go of my hand and ran out of the store. They called the police, blah blah blad, but did not catch the woman. I am hyper vigilant with my children because of what I see on WS everyday.

When I was in about fourth grade I was pulling a wagon full of stuffed animals and dolls through my neighborhood, taking them on a walk. (A little childish for that age, but I was a late bloomer, maturation-wise.) A van pulled up and one of the two men inside hopped out, opened the back door and showed me a large stuffed dog, asking if I wanted it. I looked back at the wagon and saw there was no room to carry another animal so I told them where I lived and asked if they could leave it on the porch.

Of course I got home and asked my mom if they'd dropped off the dog, and seconds later my dad was calling the police. I was so mad they hadn't left the dog that it shocked me to hear my dad asking the police if they'd had other child luring attempts and only then did it hit me that I'd been talking to strangers. To this day I think my guardian angel made sure that wagon was full of toys so I'd turn down their offer.

Oddly enough, that experience didn't leave me scared, just more cautious. For years I thought my dad might have been wrong and the guys just wanted to give away a toy they no longer wanted, but now I think otherwise. They were up to something, but as a kid I couldn't bring myself to believe people could really be that bad.

They were up to something, but as a kid I couldn't bring myself to believe people could really be that bad.

I think this is how many children are lured.The perps use the goodwill and gullibility of children against them. You were so lucky, tater!

When she turned around and could not find me, she started to move down the aisles, and she found me walking OUT of the store with a woman. My mother ran up screaming, and the woman let go of my hand and ran out of the store. They called the police, blah blah blad, but did not catch the woman. I am hyper vigilant with my children because of what I see on WS everyday.

I sort of wonder why women abduct children, if it's a agressive man with a submissive women or if the women just wants a child of her own.

I just wanted to add that I came very close to being a victim of a serial killer and didn't know it.
When I was 17yrs old I was at a friends house spending the night and my BF live just a block down the road on the corner. It was about 1am or so when i called him and asked him if he would come pick me up he said sure so I went outside and and walked to the corner and stood just off the sidewalk and watch for him. Just then a car pulled up and a much much older man asked if i need a ride? I look down the street an saw my BF getting in his car and pulling out... I told the driver of the car no thanks and pointed down the street and said my BF is on his way. He pointed at my BF's car and said that's your BF? I said yes and he got a funny look on his face a took off fast. That is when I thought to myself damn he could have been a kidnapper.
Anyways years down the road a local serial killer was arrested and they showed his picture on the news and I was like OMG!!! That is the man that asked me if I needed a ride!! That man was Arthur Shawcross !

Wow, so many of us have similar stories. I to was almost kidnapped, but I was 23. I had two babies, worked full time and had just started college. I didn't have a car, so I had to walk from work to school, which was about 4 miles. One day I was so exhausted that when a guy that I recognized as a regular customer at my job offered me a ride, I accepted. It was a straight shot to where I was going and when he turned off going toward a different town I freaked out and told him to stop and let me out, but he wouldn't. He kept telling me that I owed him for the ride. I jumped out when he slowed to make another turn and ran to the nearest house and they let me use the phone. I was bruised and sore for a few days and I got cursed out by my mom and my boyfriend. I learned my lesson though.

I just wanted to add that I came very close to being a victim of a serial killer and didn't know it.
When I was 17yrs old I was at a friends house spending the night and my BF live just a block down the road on the corner. It was about 1am or so when i called him and asked him if he would come pick me up he said sure so I went outside and and walked to the corner and stood just off the sidewalk and watch for him. Just then a car pulled up and a much much older man asked if i need a ride? I look down the street an saw my BF getting in his car and pulling out... I told the driver of the car no thanks and pointed down the street and said my BF is on his way. He pointed at my BF's car and said that's your BF? I said yes and he got a funny look on his face a took off fast. That is when I thought to myself damn he could have been a kidnapper.
Anyways years down the road a local serial killer was arrested and they showed his picture on the news and I was like OMG!!! That is the man that asked me if I needed a ride!! That man was Arthur Shawcross !

Holy crap! That is so frightening! So are all these other stories. It's amazing how not uncommon it is. Children are so trusting. When I hear someone say "My child would never go with a stranger," I know that is what the parent believes, but that isn't necessarily true.

I was 18, just left home, I used to hitch hike a lot. A seemingly friendly man picked me up, the conversation quickly became sexual and I froze. I asked to get out and he kept saying "at the next layby" but kept on driving right on past them. The car stopped at lights and I jumped out. I ran off, when I looked back her kept on looking at me. This was where Fred West was operating... I have often wondered if it was him.
He drove a van.
I never hitch hiked again

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member