Real-life tales of the worst Valentine's Day gifts

Dark Knight

Reaction score
So, you thought that half-wilted grocery-store-bought bouquet of flowers and generic card you got last year for Valentine’s Day was bad, huh? How about a diet cookbook, frozen microwaveable pizzas, a shower curtain, or an encyclopedia (remember those)? Or, of course, nothing? We asked Yahoo! Shine readers to tell us about their worst Valentine’s Day presents ever, and sad, funny tales of Valentine’s Day woe poured in.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/real-life-tales-of-the-worst-valentines-day-gifts-2451887/

I think I can top all those my grandmother died in 2008 on Valentines Day. She was 103 so she had a very long life.

I can't remember ever getting a Valentines gift LOL!

I think I can top all those my grandmother died in 2008 on Valentines Day. She was 103 so she had a very long life.

Wow, your Grandma was strong! My Grandma and Aunt Myrt died on the same day, February 14, 1984. For the longest time, I didn't celebrate that day. But, then I realized that it was a reminder of two of the strongest women in my life. Thank you, Legal.

My wonderful DH is not a typical romantic. We'll usually go out for a "just the two of us" nice dinner in February or something, but nothing really on Valentines Day. I told him he broke me. I was always into that stuff. This year I was planning a work trip around a really busy schedule. I have to find when I have two days in a row free, as well as when the other agency is free. This month I was frazzled and ended up planning my trip for the 14/15th. DH is messing with me about leaving him on Valentines Day.

Wich is worse....
Hubby forgetting and thinking "oh no big deal."
OR
Hubby remembering and thinking "oh no big deal."

:loser:

ETA: ignoring all the Kay commericals
ignoring the floral commericals

Can't wait to see what this year brings.
At least I;m not set up for being disapointed.

I have a friend who received a bag of sponges and a note saying that his mother was coming for dinner. :eek:

I have a friend who received a bag of sponges and a note saying that his mother was coming for dinner. :eek:

LOL I would have served her the danged sponges. With gravy, of course.

We don't celebrate any holiday or occasion except birthdays.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

I got a 9mm hand gun one year. never touched a gun in my life. Still haven't shot the thing.

I got a 9mm hand gun one year. never touched a gun in my life. Still haven't shot the thing.

You live in Texas, you're expected to own and carry a gun!

Plus it's a good idea, so learn how to use it, it might save your or someone else's life....or send it to me for Valentine's day, lol. :crazy:

I was in my early 30s when my EX-husband surprised me with a barometer and an Oscar for Valentine's day, neither of which I was too happy about, especially the Oscar.. he was very messy and O M G the stink. I could never figure out the barometer thing, neither one of us were meteorologists and we never had fish as a hobby. Needless to say.. I eventually divorced all three.

I was in my early 30s when my EX-husband surprised me with a barometer and an Oscar for Valentine's day, neither of which I was too happy about, especially the Oscar.. he was very messy and O M G the stink. I could never figure out the barometer thing, neither one of us were meteorologists and we never had fish as a hobby. Needless to say.. I eventually divorced all three.

When you said Oscar, I thought you mean the award, LOL! Then when you mentioned the smell and never having had fish, I was confused so I looked it up and it's a species of fish, hehe.

Sorry for your loss. My grandmother died Feb 13, 2008. I was on the road to my old hometown on Valentines Day that year. She was 91 and died at my mom's best friends' funeral just after my mom gave the eulogy. She was dressed "to the nine's" (as she would say) and had her hair done so she went out looking good. Her death was the talk of the town for about a year ~ they didn't have many people die IN the funeral home.

Miss you and love you Granny!

One of the very few years that I did get flowers on Valentines day my Husband got up that morning and left to go buy them at Walmart.

It happened to be one of the years in CenTex where it was unusually cold, in fact it was below freezing and snow flurries. Very very cold.

He bought the flowers and decided to stop and buy donuts for the kids too so I wouldn't get up and make them breakfast.

He left the roses out in the car while he went in to get the donuts. It took quite some time because for some reason the donut shop was packed.

I got the roses and card, kids enjoyed their donuts and then the next morning half of the petals on the roses had fallen off. By the second day they were completely bald from sitting in the freezing cold for so long LOL.

Bless his heart. He liked to have died. I assured him it is the thought that counts. But then again he didn't give me sponges! LOL

Wich is worse....
Hubby forgetting and thinking "oh no big deal."
OR
Hubby remembering and thinking "oh no big deal."

:loser:

ETA: ignoring all the Kay commericals
ignoring the floral commericals

Can't wait to see what this year brings.
At least I;m not set up for being disapointed.

IMO it's that he remembered and thought it was no big deal. :(

:seeya: That's my situation, every Feb. 14th.

He is not much into things like that. I am a hopeless romantic. Oh well. He's a great hubby, father, provider, friend, son, uncle... I guess being a bad valentine's day partner is not the worst thing he could be.

But, I mean, really!!! A card takes about 10 minutes and $3.
:waitasec:

My hubby is a hopeless romantic and I wouldn't change him for the world. We are a lot alike that way. So I can honestly say every Valentine's Day has been a happy time for both of us. Its just who he is.........he does such special thoughtful things all the time.

We both buy for each other on Valentine's Day. It really made me sort of sad to hear on HLN today that 80% of males will buy something for their spouse or girlfriend but only 30% of females by their husbands or boyfriends anything. I thought..........sheesh.........where is the love and recognition for both partners who are equally important in a relationship.

He goes to the local coffee shop very early every morning and this morning he sat there and prepared my valentine cards. The waitresses ask him 'Just how MANY sweethearts do you have ????" :floorlaugh: Since he had five cards spread out on the table. He laughed. He said 'I only have one sweetheart but she is my heart so I cant buy her just one." And that is the way he has been for 27 years. Then he gave me roses, nuts and candy but as always the cards he gives and the beautiful heartfelt words he writes in them are what I treasure.

I bought him cards, his favorite candies, jeans, shoes and a stump buddy that he thought was so cool.:crazy: And made one of his favorite meals. Stuffed grouper.

IMO

I don't require gifts, so anything is fine - the thought really is what counts, even if it's just a hug or a phone call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back