Southwest States - AZ, CA, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, UT, NV - Weather Discussion

My brother said he was fine there as I called to check up on him. Said he had some rain and winds. I was glad to know he was safe.:woohoo::woohoo: That was yesterday though. How is the weather today?

My brother said he was fine there as I called to check up on him. Said he had some rain and winds. I was glad to know he was safe.:woohoo::woohoo: That was yesterday though. How is the weather today?
It rained very hard most of the day down here in South Orange County. But we are bracing for what they say is the worst storm so far heading in tomorrow. some areas will have winds 60-80 mph

there is a police pursuit right now of a murder suspect in Hollywood. This could get really bad in the weather.

I live in Redlands, but work near Riverside at March ARB. The base was severly flooded on Tuesday! We were all sent home, except for the mission essential staff. The biggest storm is supposed to roll through this afternoon. We've been tracking on our radars here at work. At least its supposed to be the last of the series of storms!

Please let us know as soon as things calm down in CA. Thinking of you all - let us know you're okay.

Signing off now - hope everyone is safe.

S. Calif. heat wave leaves thousands without power
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re_us/us_california_heat
snip-
LOS ANGELES – Southern California's heat wave has left tens of thousands of people without electricity.

Southern California Edison says more than 27,000 of its customers were without power Tuesday morning, mainly in Orange and Los Angeles counties. Most have been blacked out for eight to 16 hours as temps hit 113 degrees in some parts.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power reports another 15,000 customers are without power in Los Angeles.

That figure, recorded just after noon Monday, was the hottest registered in the city since record-keeping began in 1877. The previous high of 112 was set on June 26, 1990.

Sending prayers for all effected by the heat and blackout. Take care and be safe!!
lettere.gif

when it is this hot in Dana Point, it is hot everywhere.
This was yesterday:

IMG00048-20100927-1359.jpg

It's a cool 74 degrees in Georgia with a nice breeze, I have my windows open and it feels so good. Sorry all of you out there sweating with no power. Just remember the cool weather is right around the corner. Before you know it there will be complaints about how cold it is.

I empathize. Today it's supposedly 102 here in Northern CA. A couple of summers ago we had the power go out when it was 111 degrees. Can't stay in the pool all day with no shade, so we hightailed it in the air-conditioned car to a Gold Mine! Nice and cool underground. Maybe you can find an air-conditioned movie theater or hang out at the Mall???

when it is this hot in Dana Point, it is hot everywhere.
This was yesterday:

IMG00048-20100927-1359.jpg

Oh jeez - that really makes me glad that we are sliding down towards winter here in Scotland. Tis still quite mild here though (no frosts yet!).

I visited California for the first time earlier this month. I was amazed at how much cooler it was in the oceanside towns (Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, Malibu) It was at least 10 degrees hotter in Hollywood than in Malibu.

The highest temp we had was 80 degrees when we took several Hollywood tours. When we attended a Triathlon at Malibu's Zuma beach, it was decidedly cool in the early morning hours of the racing activities, then warmed up to a pleasant mid-70's later in the day.

JBean, I want to come back again - which months are to be avoided? When do those rains come?

Saw video on the news last night of this and it was surreal to see... the dust storm was HUGE and fast moving. Of course this is nothing new, dust storms happen all over the world (and planets... Mars is known for having planet wide dust storms)... but still, the size and scope of last evenings dust storm was something to behold and noted as significant by the weather guessers.

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2011/07/06/massive-dust-storm-descends-on-phoenix-area/

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT... THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT. THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE SOUTHEASTERN KANSAS FAR WESTERN MISSOURI MUCH OF OKLAHOMA FAR NORTHERN TEXAS ELSEWHERE...SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM CENTRAL TEXAS INTO ILLINOIS.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT... THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE DEVELOPMENT OF TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN/CENTRAL PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT. THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE SOUTHEASTERN KANSAS FAR WESTERN MISSOURI MUCH OF OKLAHOMA FAR NORTHERN TEXAS ELSEWHERE...SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM CENTRAL TEXAS INTO ILLINOIS.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/pwo.html

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

We've got a good chance of severe storms with hail. Need the moisture so looking forward to rain! Didn't know whither to bump up my severe weather 2013 thread to warn people, then had to go to my mother's house so I didn't have time.

Sure wish we had a weather forum. One we could also put earthquakes, floods, dust storms too as multiple events can be happening in the USA and other countries. :please:

Today in NE OK has that "storms-a-comin'" feel to it. Mid-70s and clammy. Slight ominous breeze.

Today in NE OK has that "storms-a-comin'" feel to it. Mid-70s and clammy. Slight ominous breeze.

Your east of me and in the middle of the storms-a-comin. Yeah I get the feeling also from here. We are now in tornado watch, though on the edge. I have a feeling any tornadoes will be rain wrapped and north of us so I doubt we will be chasing. Plus our temperature is still way low.

Got the dogs out in time to wee wee before the thunder and lightening starts...hooray.

just drove past the metal armored tornado chasing vehicle from the Discovery Channel show.....its just chilly drizzle rain here so far though

Thanks for the information. We drive cross country in a truck, so it's good to know. We are currently in Illinois headed to the Memphis TN. Hopefully we'll miss the worst of it. We were just in Oklahoma and Mo. a couple days ago. We've been pretty blessed and have managed to avoid severe weather, for the most, part. Stay safe everybody and God Bless!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back