Trial - Ross Harris #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find a more extensive description of the jurors. Here is a rough sketch:

The six-woman, six-man jury includes a nutritionist, mechanic, a former jury foreperson, a grandmother of six whose policemen father was killed in the line of duty, two nurses and a 19-year-old college student.

http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...for-ross-harris-trial/RHdD4KcRZfERzAezEJDV7O/

Someone posted a really good one here IIRC it may have been Just the facts? Try looking on the first thread? or the side bar thread.

I am really looking forward to closing.

Interesting that they are going to be able to put that the prostitute was on probation and could have been given leniency for her testimony (or alluded to).

Here is States OS for review [video=youtube;GAHYqOTJBzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHYqOTJBzo[/video]

Defense OS for review ***at the very beginning they speak about Def Motion regarding Dr Diamond***
[video=youtube;6WDNgvM_HZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WDNgvM_HZs[/video]

So FIVE of the potential jurors have no children. I really think that is good for the defense. I think that if you don't have kids, you might not understand why parents have a hard time believing someone could 'forget' their kid is in the car. I could be wrong, but ...lol

Someone posted a really good one here IIRC it may have been Just the facts? Try looking on the first thread? or the side bar thread.

I am really looking forward to closing.

I am looking forward to closing too. And my niece is visiting from Boston next week. My husband was like " I can take off work on Monday and we can ALL go out to the tourist places with her that day..." EEEEKKKK....NOOOOOOOO....

" Noooo, she will be too tired from the wedding she is going to this weekend....we should let her rest on Monday, and we can all go out on TUESDAY...." :blush:

here we go:

Ross Cavitt WSB TV
October 3 ·
Harris Trial UPDATE:
Here’s a look at the jurors selected to hear evidence in the Ross Harris case. There are 12 jurors plus four alternates. The alternates won’t know they are alternates until the end of the testimony.

1. Single woman with no kids. Works in customer service and retail. Her father is a former local police chief. She uses social media and watched “People vs. OJ.”

2. Single man with no children. Born and raised in Brunswick. Said he wanted to serve on this jury when asked. Works in an automotive shop not far from the courthouse.

3. Married woman with a two year old daughter. Husband works in construction, she is from a military family. Has an uncle in prison who she visits. Had some knowledge of the case, but said she heard some people say it (Cooper’s death) was an accident, others say it was on purpose.

4. Single woman who has three kids. A nutritionist at a local hospital. Her father is a cop, she likes to watch Criminal Minds. She’s heard about the case, and her initial thought was Harris was guilty but she admits she hasn’t heard the evidence.

5. Married woman with three grandkids. She’s a retired nurse and has served on juries before. Her brother was killed in Washington DC and she attended the trial.

6. Married to a retired longshoreman, a registrar at a local high school. Two older sons and six grandchildren. She served on juries before, and was foreperson before. Not big on social media, her father killed in the line of duty as a police officer when she was 12. She says if she is on the jury she’ll make sure fellow jurors follow the law.

7. Man who is married with two kids. Works in building maintenance, wife is a banker. Watches some crime shows, didn’t know a lot about the case.

8. Man who is married but has no children. Draftsman who looks for a local architect. Wife is a nurse. He texts, uses Facebook, watches MSNBC. Said he figured out he was called for Harris case and said he remembered the case and that it had “looked bad” for Harris.

9. Man who is single. A nurse at a local facility dealing the addiction and mental health. Has had a brother arrested multiple times. Only heard of the Harris case recently.

10. 19 year old single man, a student. Only person in this group who said he had heard nothing about the case. Likes to watch documentaries about serial killers and “Making a Murderer.”

11. Woman who is married with two kids in their 20s. A registered nurse whose husband is friends with the former District Attorney in Glynn County. He works at Federal Law Enforcement Training Facility. Has family in Cobb, but doesn’t visit often. Can be impartial in trial.

12. Married man with three young kids. A mechanical technician and a Navy veteran. Says wife recognized the Judge from news reports but otherwise knew little about the case.

13. Woman who is married with four older children and four grandchildren. Said she knew someone killed in a homicide. Saw the case on the “nightly news” but believes she can judge the case based on the evidence and the law. Says seeing all the news media gathered “heightened the stress” for serving.

14. Married man with a 13 year old daughter. A retired carpenter who uses a voice-box to speak due to undisclosed medical issue. Saw the case in the paper several times and said his wife had an opinion that Harris was guilty. But he told lawyers he could discount her opinion and make up his own mind. “Always have,” he said.

15. Married woman with one child. Takes care of second homes in the area and initially thought the Harris case was a “tragic accident” based on what she’d first heard. No use of social media, likes “Judge Judy” and followed the Casey Anthony trial. Was one of few jurors who thought the case was an accident.

16. Single man with a 23 year old son. He’s a welder who initially responded he had formed an opinion about Harris’ guilt but later said he had not. Served on multiple juries, including a murder trial. He’s been arrested himself for DUI “multiple times” but says “it was my fault, every one of them.

Ross Cavitt WSB TV [twitter]

Hmmm very interesting group for sure. Now that we have seen and heard the evidence.

*** #14 A retired carpenter who uses a voice-box to speak due to undisclosed medical issue.. possible this person is who we heard with the coughing? Would make sense. Also heard some wheezing. My neighbor had throat cancer and has one and he does that sometimes. ... means nothing to case just thought was interesting about juror

I am looking forward to closing too. And my niece is visiting from Boston next week. My husband was like " I can take off work on Monday and we can ALL go out to the tourist places with her that day..." EEEEKKKK....NOOOOOOOO....

" Noooo, she will be too tired from the wedding she is going to this weekend....we should let her rest on Monday, and we can all go out on TUESDAY...." :blush:

I KNOW lol! I had to change some plans around and get things done today (so I had to catch up ;) ) better today than Monday. Yes let that niece rest, ;) I agree.

So FIVE of the potential jurors have no children. I really think that is good for the defense. I think that if you don't have kids, you might not understand why parents have a hard time believing someone could 'forget' their kid is in the car. I could be wrong, but ...lol

JMHO I think it will be interesting for those who knew something about case prior and now since hearing the evidence and testimony... and how the Def kept getting in things that were misinformation as was in MSM, also LH getting to testify also helped on how she was initially spoken of. And of the multiple mishaps in the investigation. I think there was a lot of reasonable doubt brought in. On the sexting with minors, that jmho is a given guilty, that will have to be addressed on Appeal and or some Motion soon because of the March 2016 8 indictments. That is going to go back to the fruit of the poisonous tree on the search warrants. JMHO

I really cannot believe that they would pull their 'star' FBS expert, minutes before he was supposed to testify, just because they were afraid it would be an uphill battle on cross. That makes no sense to me at all. Boring is no Juan Martinez.

Brewer, their other memory expert was not a very effective witness, imo. He was 'AIGHT' as my kids say. But not very compelling or memorable. And by all accounts, Diamond is a very charismatic, engaging speaker. He can speak about FBS with great authority. Brewer did not do that. He suggested it was possible, but fell apart in the end at cross, imo. I don't think that Diamond would have folded like that when those possible triggers were discussed.

The only way that the DT would have pulled the plug on Diamond, imo, would be if they were supremely confident in the previous case they laid out and in the morning testimony. And I think we can all see by their demeanor, that was not the case. Kilgore looked angry and upset and kind of defeated, imo.

I don't think the judge would have put any more limitations on Diamond than she did on Brewer. And he seemed to have a lot of latitude to discuss the memory and the way that FBS works in cases like this. It was just kind of weak and sterile.

As to your statement that it will not be making a difference to the jury that Diamond did not testify...IDK that I agree. Sure, they didn't know about him being on deck and then suddenly going POOF. But I do believe that they noticed the last few days of the DT case fell flat and was disjointed. There was no momentum, no big finish, like one might expect.

Many people, myself included, thought the entire case was going to hinge on Dr D's testimony. A well put together PowerpOint with 50 slides and years of experience testifying about hot car cases. And he has won 95% of his cases.

Calling for a mistrial is routine. I have never seen a trial where someone did not ask for a mistrial, at least a few times.

They did hear Leann testify and would have heard her emotions coming through. I think she did HERSELF a lot of good by taking the stand. But I am not sure she really helped her ex husband all that much. jmo :moo:

RBBM.
I will agree to disagree on what limitations Judge Staley was going to put on Dr Diamond. My opinion comes from Prev Hearings about him and the little things that have gone on during trial and references about it. The Def and State talk when court is in recess. Boring already first thing on Thursday said that he had issues with the 2nd witness. There was tension on that already from night before and that morning. Also Boring had been called out AGAIN about not giving the Def the stuf from the FBI the day prior when court was released early.

"As to your statement that it will not be making a difference to the jury that Diamond did not testify...IDK that I agree. Sure, they didn't know about him being on deck and then suddenly going POOF. But I do believe that they noticed the last few days of the DT case fell flat and was disjointed. There was no momentum, no big finish, like one might expect. "

I believe too that the jury could tell by all the Objections and what was asked and objected to that there was something up. They had to know if been paying attention, about the various times when Def asked about what was told .. to the Lead Det, that it was hearsay. So they bring in the witnesses and then told they can't answer either.

"Many people, myself included, thought the entire case was going to hinge on Dr D's testimony. A well put together PowerpOint with 50 slides and years of experience testifying about hot car cases. And he has won 95% of his cases."

^^ 1, Dr Diamond has not won any cases, because he is not trying the case. He is only an expert witness in the case. 2. Just because it something "we" as in anyone outside the case/in the pubic thought, we weren't the ones that the State was fighting ... knowing the Doctors expert testimony in cases that were as you say won 95%. THAT alone is a reason the State was going to fight HARD in his testimony. And the Def knew that. They also know how the Judge has ruled on other important aspects of this case. I am totally confident the State is thankful that he didn't testify. And I feel same they are big reason why. (going to argue what he could testify about). JMHO from paying close attention where he was concerned. In this trial and various pretrial hearings.

ETA: re Leanna, there were MSM tweets that said some on the jury cried or showed emotion when LH testified. I think her testimony did help. And also I was glad to hear the recording and Stockinger. I think the jury would have been curious why all the main Det had not been on the stand, although had been referenced a lot. I think there potential that Stockinger hurt more than helped. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by DeDee View Post
Yes, and LH/LT testified that she thought the doll's head looked too big so the State had the doll's circumference of the head measured last night and the doll's head is actually a half inch smaller than Baby Cooper's little head. I admire Det. Stockinger for being the fantastic unbiased rebuttal witness that he was today.

I liked Stockinger too. His curt 'I'm just telling it like it is' answers were refreshing after listening to other witnesses beat around the bush, even when they were asked yes/no type questions.

LH testimony on the head was something the Def had said prior. And the measurements do not add up. Evans having Stockinger measure the doll, which JMHO should have been done by Grimstead and entered when they did the whole RE SCAN testimony. (which Grimstead didn't again note all his measurements) Possible have to go back and look, they may not have measured and asked about then. I know Dr Frist was asked about the doll.

Unsure if the doll will be brought in on closing or not. Maybe not, but the Def wants the car seat..

Def got it on record and in front of the jury couple things that didn't match up to Ferrells testimony AND that they had gotten to crime scene, talked to Gallimore, Folgia and Piper (the ones that RH told F you and that Gallimore told shut the f up < his testimony that RH told HIM that after telling Folgia that, yet not in his report or on the tape/transcript) So Def going with they already had it in their heads something up). JMHO Def got a lot off this witness.

And the measurements of the dolls head vs size... it goes to the fact that the measurements in this case are all over the place and the State still did not address the error in height of Cooper ;) JMHO

I KNOW lol! I had to change some plans around and get things done today (so I had to catch up ;) ) better today than Monday. Yes let that niece rest, ;) I agree.

I worked it out even better than having her here resting. She is same age as our kids. She would much rather be with her cousins than hubby and I . So my daughter is taking her to the beach that day and then they will go to my sons so she can meet the baby. I will be here alone, making dinner for them all when they return. lol

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Peach View Post
One more thought about the recent actions of the DT. Whatever piece of information came to light was all encompassing. It did not affect one or two witnesses. It actually brought their entire case to an abrupt stop. I can only think of one piece of evidence that would cause such an immediate halt.

If what was in the FBI file was so compelling, why wouldn't the State have entered it into evidence?

A smoking gun is the only thing explains everything. I believe that the DT attorneys were blindsided. It would also explain MK's obvious frustration with Ross. Am I missing something?

Can you elaborate? If it is a "smoking gun" why would the State not have already used it?

There is no smoking gun. The whole FBI thing may cause the State more problems than any help because they were suppose to have given the Def any discovery cut off day 10 days til trial. They made Def aware of this on 10/24/16. Stoddard had met with FBI BAU and did a report on it. State had had the info since Nov 5 2015 ! The State has/had fought hard on any of Dr D testimony. It was in the States best interest for him not to testify. Or at least very limited testimony. There was much arguing in front of camera and out of camera on this issue. JMHO Only thing the FBI Binder had was information about Dr Diamond. Stuff the Def already knew. And if the Def brought Dr D, maybe the BAU person would come? Stomps foot wanted to see who they sent ;) (love Criminal Minds... maybe Dr. Spencer Reid lol)

RBBM.
I will agree to disagree on what limitations Judge Staley was going to put on Dr Diamond. My opinion comes from Prev Hearings about him and the little things that have gone on during trial and references about it. The Def and State talk when court is in recess. Boring already first thing on Thursday said that he had issues with the 2nd witness. There was tension on that already from night before and that morning. Also Boring had been called out AGAIN about not giving the Def the stuf from the FBI the day prior when court was released early.

"As to your statement that it will not be making a difference to the jury that Diamond did not testify...IDK that I agree. Sure, they didn't know about him being on deck and then suddenly going POOF. But I do believe that they noticed the last few days of the DT case fell flat and was disjointed. There was no momentum, no big finish, like one might expect. "

I believe too that the jury could tell by all the Objections and what was asked and objected to that there was something up. They had to know if been paying attention, about the various times when Def asked about what was told .. to the Lead Det, that it was hearsay. So they bring in the witnesses and then told they can't answer either.

"Many people, myself included, thought the entire case was going to hinge on Dr D's testimony. A well put together PowerpOint with 50 slides and years of experience testifying about hot car cases. And he has won 95% of his cases."

^^ 1, Dr Diamond has not won any cases, because he is not trying the case. He is only an expert witness in the case. 2. Just because it something "we" as in anyone outside the case/in the pubic thought, we weren't the ones that the State was fighting ... knowing the Doctors expert testimony in cases that were as you say won 95%. THAT alone is a reason the State was going to fight HARD in his testimony. And the Def knew that. They also know how the Judge has ruled on other important aspects of this case. I am totally confident the State is thankful that he didn't testify. And I feel same they are big reason why. (going to argue what he could testify about). JMHO from paying close attention where he was concerned. In this trial and various pretrial hearings.

ETA: re Leanna, there were MSM tweets that said some on the jury cried or showed emotion when LH testified. I think her testimony did help. And also I was glad to hear the recording and Stockinger. I think the jury would have been curious why all the main Det had not been on the stand, although had been referenced a lot. I think there potential that Stockinger hurt more than helped. JMHO

You are absolutely right that Diamond did not win any cases--he is just the expert witness. But according to the various articles I read about those past cases, the defense hinged pretty much on his testimony. He was the one that convinced the jury that it was possible to innocently forget one's baby in the car. I am not sure that Brewer fully achieved that. And I think that is crucial for this jury to believe that whole heartedly.

I know that some of the jury cried with Leann when she testified. But I am not sure if that helps Ross or if it just makes them more angry at him. Have to wait and see I guess.

Why do you think Stockinger hurt more than helped? I thought he came off as a sympathetic helpful man just trying to do his job for Cooper. I think LH sounds like she was in shock. But it was jarring that she kept asking to see Ross, and not asking to see her baby.

Yes Mistrial Motion happens a lot. But this in this case

Deprivation of Fair and Impartial Trial Lumpkin made this arguement when asked for last Mistrial, as they were not allowing the Def to question the witnesses about the false statements in the SWs. He had read each one into the records and their false statements. Also, Boring told Lumkin in front of Jury that he should call the witness that told Murphy - Lumkin stated in his Motion for mistrial that it shifted the burden to the Def who does not have that burden. The jury never heard any diff ,jmho

Prosecutorial misconduct, either through deliberate violations or the knowing use of perjured testimony or inflammatory arguments before a jury, is designed to deprive a defendant of a fair and impartial trial, and this unethical behavior must be understood and ever guarded against.

For the criminal defense lawyer these cases make good fodder for creative &#8220;discovery letters&#8221; and motions for discovery

And another reason, and big one, would be if it is a Brady violation (withholding the FBI info for a year..Def learned of it 10/24/16, state has had info since 11/5/2016 and Stoddard had done the legwork met with FBI BAU and done a report on it) So that would be a HUGE reason why not to call Dr Diamond. Added that it took multiple times for the Def to ask ON THE RECORD for the info... (I am not a lawyer so this is just my layperson reading and thinking from watching trial and hearings. )

A Brady motion is a defendant's request for evidence concerning a material witness which is favorable to the defense and to which the defense may be entitled. Favorable evidence includes not only evidence that tends to exculpate the accused, but also evidence that may impeach the credibility of a government witness. A Brady violation occurs where the failure to disclose evidence to the defense deprives the defendant of a fair trial. http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/brady-motion/ http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/brady-motion/

material witness
n. a person who apparently has information about the subject matter of a lawsuit or criminal prosecution which is significant enough to affect the outcome of the case or trial. Thus, the court must make every reasonable effort to allow such a witness to testify, including a continuance (delay in a trial) to accommodate him/her if late or temporarily unavailable. (See: material, witness, trial)
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/material+witness

You are absolutely right that Diamond did not win any cases--he is just the expert witness. But according to the various articles I read about those past cases, the defense hinged pretty much on his testimony. He was the one that convinced the jury that it was possible to innocently forget one's baby in the car. I am not sure that Brewer fully achieved that. And I think that is crucial for this jury to believe that whole heartedly.

I know that some of the jury cried with Leann when she testified. But I am not sure if that helps Ross or if it just makes them more angry at him. Have to wait and see I guess.

Why do you think Stockinger hurt more than helped? I thought he came off as a sympathetic helpful man just trying to do his job for Cooper. I think LH sounds like she was in shock. But it was jarring that she kept asking to see Ross, and not asking to see her baby.

Read my posts upthread re Stockinger. And yes that was another point the Def got. Stockinger stated to her she was in shock. I believe she was also. But he already knew about what happen on scene with RH and he testified (after we heard the recording) 100% she had no emotion. :waitasec: Go back and review the testimony of this witness. Direct and Cross. JMHO

Snipped by me

The only way I can see this making sense, apart from malice murder, is if RH had left Cooper in the car before, either accidentally or intentionally. That also explains the photos RH was taking of Cooper arriving at daycare and why LH immediately thought RH must have left Cooper in the car when he wasn't at daycare.

^^^
YES!!

It all makes so much more sense, if this has happened before!

( sorry I am way behind reading the posts)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After doing all of this research on Diamond, and all of these hot car deaths, I have come to a conclusion.

In my opinion, EVERYONE should be charged with criminal negligence, FBS or not. From now on, if a driver does not take necessary precautions, to prevent this type of accident, then they should go on trial for the death. We can no longer count these gruesome deaths as unpreventable accidents.

Not anymore. EVERYONE knows about them now. If you do not buy a 10 dollar mirror at Walmart, then you are legally negligent. Just like we made laws about proper car seats, and proper immunizations. jmo :moo:

:thinking: Could it be possible.... that the Def asks that Dr. Diamond be allowed to testify? Since the Def didn't get their discovery from the State until late Thurs? Kilgore evidently gave the Judge something or it appeared to me when she again asked the State on Thurs prior to dismissing the jury for the day.

Minor4 can you and/or other attorneys weigh in on this? Could this still happen? And does this mean the jury would be made aware of the violation? Thank you

Snip:
a fair trial remedy http://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/260_waifagsn.pdf
I propose that when suppressed favorable evidence comes to light during or
shortly before a trial, the trial court should consider instructing the jury on
Brady law and allowing the defendant to argue that the government&#8217;s failure to
disclose the evidence raises a reasonable doubt about the defendant&#8217;s guilt. I
call this a &#8220;fair trial remedy,&#8221; because instead of curing the Brady violation

through reversal on appeal, the remedy corrects the trial itself. 29 In
contributing to a jury&#8217;s decision to acquit, the remedy would provide more
immediate relief than a postconviction reversal. Yet, because the remedy would
not free or even grant a new trial to defendants of whose guilt the government
has sufficient evidence, the remedy would not run afoul of those who decry the
social costs of other &#8220;punishments&#8221; for prosecutors, such as overturning
convictions or dismissing charges.

29. The idea of a &#8220;fair trial remedy,&#8221; of trying to fix a pretrial constitutional error at trial, was
first suggested to me by its mention in the speedy trial context in AKHIL REED AMAR, THE
CONSTITUTION AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE: FIRST PRINCIPLES 101(1997).

I have a 25 year old son, not married, no kids, have been talking to him about the case. Last night he said "but little children are so fragile, isn't it instinctive to take extra care of them?" Well, yes, that's why we are having this trial....sigh....RH had lost that instinct. :moo::thud:

That would make sense, re the wheezing and the man with the voice box. I kept wanting to hand him my inhaler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam