NJ Bridal Salon Refuses to Sell Gown to Lesbian Bride

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsG728

Reaction score
Wow, I just saw this on our local news. After the bride crossed out "groom" on her form and replaced it with "partner", the idiot store owner left a VM message explaining that the bride's actions are "illegal". :furious: The store is getting bashed and slammed all over the internet. Check it out:

from :http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/19/tagblogsfindlawcom2011-freeenterprise-idUS2751876420110819

By Stephanie Rabiner at FindLaw.com
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:37pm EDT

When Alix Genter tried to purchase a dress from the Here Comes the Bride bridal salon in Somers Point, New Jersey, all she left with was another example of just how sexual orientation discrimination can infiltrate even the most happiest of moments.
Though at first she was willing to help, when the store's manager found out that Genter was marrying another woman, she called the couple's pending nuptials an "illegal action," ultimately refusing to sell her the dress of her dreams.
In reality, the only illegal action was that of the store.

in addition, the store owner, Saber, scolded the bride and admitted to saying those things:

For her part, Here Comes the Bride owner Saber did not deny any of what Genter said happened. Saber confirmed her version of events and accused her of "stirring up drama," arguing that writing the word "partner" was basically a provocation, evidence of a need "to show that she's different...They get that way." Saber also railed about women who would "experiment" with female relationships because "men can be difficult," and added that she "sensed" Gerber's father's disappointment in her decision to marry a woman. "It's a lot of drama," she concluded.

http://gothamist.com/2011/08/18/lesbian_bride_scolded_rejected_by_n.php

While the actions of the store owner are a bit overboard, she does have the right to refuse service. If she feels that strongly, then I have to support her willingness to stand behind her beliefs, even with the potential of causing herself some loss of business.

While the actions of the store owner are a bit overboard, she does have the right to refuse service. If she feels that strongly, then I have to support her willingness to stand behind her beliefs, even with the potential of causing herself some loss of business.

Actually, she doesn't.

in NJ it is unlawful for a person to refuse to buy from, sell to, contract or otherwise do business with an individual because of the individual's affectional or sexual orientation.

If she had just kept her mouth shut, she might have gotten away with it. Now she just looks like an idiot in front of the entire world.

Actually, she doesn't.

in NJ it is unlawful for a person to refuse to buy from, sell to, contract or otherwise do business with an individual because of the individual's affectional or sexual orientation.

If she had just kept her mouth shut, she might have gotten away with it. Now she just looks like an idiot in front of the entire world.

Wow - who knew? As you know, I'm pro gay marriage, but I would think a shop owner would be able to sell or not sell to any one for any reason. I mean, the owner is only hurting her bottom line.

Such ugliness. "They get that way." WTH??? :mad:

Wow - who knew? As you know, I'm pro gay marriage, but I would think a shop owner would be able to sell or not sell to any one for any reason. I mean, the owner is only hurting her bottom line.

Theoretically, I totally get your point. But why would a shop owner, particularly in this economy, make such a narrow-minded, judgmental business decision? Does she take the same stand against inter-faith marriages? May-December marriages? Beautiful women marrying unattractive men - or vice versa? I'm thinking, no.

What would happen if ALL retailers refused to sell their goods to gay people? They'd be out of business in no time. As will this woman, I'm guessing.

This was a totally bigoted decision on her part and she's compounded her ignorance by attempting to defend it.

what a noob

:loser:

I hope she goes out of business

I am pro gay marriage and regardless of my personal stance on that topic, it is simply wrong to deny any person from buying a dress they want and pay for. Would the owner of the shop deny a dress for any woman who has been married more than once (twice, three times?) because she was not "virgin material"? Who has the right to judge another because partner was checked off on a piece of paper? What if the bride was having a "committment" service with a man without the legit legal papers. Would that be an issue?

Closed minded, judgmental, and bullying owner. <razz>

Just like the restaurant is able to not provide service to families, adults only. This store should be able to service the clientele they want to. They didn't announce it to the world, the pissed off bride did.

Just like the restaurant is able to not provide service to families, adults only. This store should be able to service the clientele they want to. They didn't announce it to the world, the pissed off bride did.

That is soooooo not the same thing. Refusing to allow screaming, whiny, unruly children into a restaurant establishment speaks to protecting the atmosphere for ALL the patrons, and not doing so really could hurt business. This woman simply wanted to purchase a wedding gown.

Aside from the sheer ugliness of the refusal of the shop owner to sell the woman a wedding gown, it's a pi$$ poor business decision. And her comment about how "they get that way" is disgusting. This goes way beyond "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

I don't blame the pissed off bride one bit. She should have gone to Kleinfeld's in NYC. At least they don't discriminate!

Do you mean like not serving black people who want to eat at your lunch counter? This is no different.

That is soooooo not the same thing. Refusing to allow screaming, whiny, unruly children into a restaurant establishment speaks to protecting the atmosphere for ALL the patrons, and not doing so really could hurt business. This woman simply wanted to purchase a wedding gown.

Aside from the sheer ugliness of the refusal of the shop owner to sell the woman a wedding gown, it's a pi$$ poor business decision. And her comment about how "they get that way" is disgusting. This goes way beyond "No shirt, no shoes, no service."

I don't blame the pissed off bride one bit. She should have gone to Kleinfeld's in NYC. At least they don't discriminate!

It's her choice who to sell to - period.

Not all children are poorly behaved. Plenty of families simply want to eat-and can't at his restaurant any more.

If you don't agree with it, then don't buy a wedding gown from her - but it's her choice.

Do you mean like not serving black people who want to eat at your lunch counter? This is no different.

O/T:
I'm not trying to make a joke about the topic of this thread, but
this post reminded me of that scene in "Life" where Ray (Eddie Murphy's character) and Claude (Marin Lawrence's character) went into a diner and wanted a piece of pie.
It was a very funny scene about a very real/ugly problem back in those days of not serving black people in "white" diners.

This is very different.

I don't see how or why. By law we recognize that arbitrarily discriminating against people for immutable characteristics is bad for the victims of discrimination and bad for society as a whole.

<modsnip>

My thoughts are total opposite of yours.

I am not a fan of gay marriage but I think the owner should not refuse service to someone due to their sexual orientation.

I agree with Nova on this one. This is about the same as refusing to serve black people food.

JMO

Not all children are poorly behaved. Plenty of families simply want to eat-and can't at his restaurant any more.

If you don't agree with it, then don't buy a wedding gown from her - but it's her choice.

Apparently, it's not her choice. There was a post up-thread that made that perfectly clear.

Of course not ALL children are poorly behaved. I know my certainly weren't. And as adults, they are also tolerant of other HUMANS.

Sorry. I cannot even begin to understand how anyone could defend this shop owner.

Yes, this is America. And yes, this IS America. Some may not believe there is room for gays. Personally, I believe there is no room for self-righteous, judgmental, bigoted people. If I was fortunate enough to be a business owner, I would be more than happy to sell anyone a frigging wedding gown, or anything else for which they were willing to pay in my place of business!

That shop owner should be ashamed. Though I doubt she is or ever will be.

Absolutely. And if she is choosing not to sell a dress to a lesbian, she is choosing to break the law and/or suffer from the effects of bad press. In which case she gets what is coming to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie