The Box From Hell (BFH) - Part 2

I don't know that we can make the assumption GW knew of Everette Damron through GB. It is possible GW may have met ED in the years he was in Greece.

Annasmom, can you tell us again which years GW spent in Greece and at what schools if you recall. Can we do a short timeline for GW's years oversea's as a teen or adult. (I don't think his early childhood years would be relevent..... jmo)

Also, did GW spend any time oversea's in other countries than Greece? That might help tie the pieces of the puzzle with E. Damon.

tia

ETA: Maybe far fetched, but not impossible. Perhaps ED could have been involved in an oversea's adoption or finding a family for Anna. I think GW would have had access to paperwork with his ties to the hospitals. All he had to do was convince an unwitting clerk to go along with him. Perhaps somehow ED was unaware of the kidnapping or illegal aspects of this but involved. Especially if GW had planned to visit Anna oversea's. That would be one reason for all those accident insurance policies. GW having been born abroad and studying abroad.. with his history who would have questioned his desire to have his child spend time abroad? Not only that, it is possible GW could have passed anyone's death certificate as being Annas mother, no? Maybe that is why he had to take M's picture on vacation. Somehow to prove Annas mother was deceased so someone would go along with an adoption?

Just thinking outloud.

He traveled quite a bit: Mexico, Egypt, France, Switzerland. He taught at the American Farm School in Greece in (I think) 1962 and returned to Greece on a medical school fellowship from Columbia University in maybe 1963 or 4. He could have known of Damron from college as well. I sure wish we had that last passport. So many of the accident insurance policies were the kind you would get at an airport when taking a trip; it suggests that he was going places.

He traveled quite a bit: Mexico, Egypt, France, Switzerland. He taught at the American Farm School in Greece in (I think) 1962 and returned to Greece on a medical school fellowship from Columbia University in maybe 1963 or 4. He could have known of Damron from college as well. I sure wish we had that last passport. So many of the accident insurance policies were the kind you would get at an airport when taking a trip; it suggests that he was going places.

Thank you Annasmom. I am going to add those dates to our stickied timeline.

ETA: There really isn't any way to get any additional info from the passport office on GW's passport is there? IIRC they don't keep any records and the records would have been the stamps.

Perhaps this is a good time to try and find out if those TWA flight records are now listed. I forget the details... but recall there was a record of purchasing the tickets in the BFH. Can someone refresh my memory on the TWA thing.

I don't know that we can make the assumption GW knew of Everette Damron through GB. It is possible GW may have met ED in the years he was in Greece.

Annasmom, can you tell us again which years GW spent in Greece and at what schools if you recall. Can we do a short timeline for GW's years oversea's as a teen or adult. (I don't think his early childhood years would be relevent..... jmo)

Also, did GW spend any time oversea's in other countries than Greece? That might help tie the pieces of the puzzle with E. Damon.

tia

ETA: Maybe far fetched, but not impossible. Perhaps ED could have been involved in an oversea's adoption or finding a family for Anna. I think GW would have had access to paperwork with his ties to the hospitals. All he had to do was convince an unwitting clerk to go along with him. Perhaps somehow ED was unaware of the kidnapping or illegal aspects of this but involved. Especially if GW had planned to visit Anna oversea's. That would be one reason for all those accident insurance policies. GW having been born abroad and studying abroad.. with his history who would have questioned his desire to have his child spend time abroad? Not only that, it is possible GW could have passed anyone's death certificate as being Annas mother, no? Maybe that is why he had to take M's picture on vacation. Somehow to prove Annas mother was deceased so someone would go along with an adoption?

Just thinking outloud.

The reason that I believe it was GB who knew Damron is twofold. First, his age, he was born in 1917-1918 according to all the documents I have found. It seems more likely that Brody would be his contemporary. The note itself (assuming I am correct about the meaning) refers to a retired Damron ... How likely is it that GW would have kept up with him through the years to know that he was retired? Second, It is certainly possible that GW met Damron in his extensive travels, however, pulling from my knowledge and understanding of mental illness, in particular schizophrenia, and taking into consideration everything else that we know about his actions during the period that he wrote the squibb note ... I feel that he was, at that point, almost completely fixated on Brody. I don't see a whole lot of evidence that GW did ANYTHING that was not directed by Brody, at that time. I have often thought, while reading about this case, that Brody may have had a background in psychology due to the way he so masterfully exploited GW's illness. GW's afflicted brain didn't even need to develop hallucinations ... he had Brody!!

ED (full name: E Leonard D)
birth: 6 May 1917 Catlettsburg, Boyd, Kentucky
father: Floyd
mother: Bertha Schuff

raf

Thank you Annasmom. I am going to add those dates to our stickied timeline.

ETA: There really isn't any way to get any additional info from the passport office on GW's passport is there? IIRC they don't keep any records and the records would have been the stamps.

Perhaps this is a good time to try and find out if those TWA flight records are now listed. I forget the details... but recall there was a record of purchasing the tickets in the BFH. Can someone refresh my memory on the TWA thing.

We have everything the passport office has. They don't keep the actual passports; just the applications. Two important things to find out: Where was Damron stationed as vice consul? And what's the status of the FOIA inquiry?

We have everything the passport office has. They don't keep the actual passports; just the applications. Two important things to find out: Where was Damron stationed as vice consul? And what's the status of the FOIA inquiry?

Everette L. Damron FSL timeline with supporting documents
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Consuls%20--%20United%20States%22
1935-1946 FSL’s no Damron found.
1947 First post – Georgetown, British Guiana - Vice Consul
Assignment date 7/1946
1948 ditto
1949 Amsterdam, The Netherlands – Vice Consul
Assignment date 7/1948
1950 ditto
1951 ditto
1952 Vigo, Spain –Vice Consul
Assignment date 7/1951
1953 ditto
1954 Naples, Italy – Vice Consul
Assignment date 9/1953
1955 ditto
1956 ditto
1957 Ciudad, Trujillo – Vice Consul
Assignment date 9/1957
1958 ditto
1959 ditto
1960 Personnel of the Department of State Washington, DC
1961 Ditto
1962 Roma, Italy – Consul

I have added Squibb _20_21jpg showing the Italian Cons

Any idea what number 19 means on the same Squibb / Notorization to whom?

Attachments

• Squibb_20_21.jpg
    Squibb_20_21.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 66

Notarized document bearing photo and both signatures

GW uses the Greek alphabet a lot. The symbol for phi followed by "oto" would be photo ... I think!?

Hmmmm ... Just this past week I had to sign a form for my son to go on a mission trip to Mexico, since his dad is getting his passport done while he is with him on Spring break and I would not be there. I had to have that document notarized because when applying for a passport for a minor child both parents must sign.

Squibb, _28_29

Make will out to ACE for one dollar,. interesting the G's do refer to Anna with Eifee in '71.

Did we see this Will?

Attachments

• Squibb_28_29.jpg
    Squibb_28_29.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 75

Hmmmm ... Just this past week I had to sign a form for my son to go on a mission trip to Mexico, since his dad is getting his passport done while he is with him on Spring break and I would not be there. I had to have that document notarized because when applying for a passport for a minor child both parents must sign.

Thanks one_hooah,
So many little secrets could be found in these Squibbs. One that really gets me is the vacation pic of Margaret quote and the fact he get's B's permission.. and then later 'given ok to take M's picture on vacation'... Love to know M!?

Excellent work bytheway on Everette Damron and Paul.

In short, are you thinking that a 'Damron' could not only have authorized Waters trip to Italy and perhaps .... adopted Anna?

My apologies if this is a silly Q. :innocent:

Excellent work bytheway on Everette Damron and Paul.

In short, are you thinking that a 'Damron' could not only have authorized Waters trip to Italy and perhaps .... adopted Anna?

My apologies if this is a silly Q. :innocent:

Thanks! Not silly at all when the known facts (about Brody) of this case border on the absurd sometimes!! I haven't really thought it through that far, regarding the Damron connection. I was simply trying to make some sense out of the note and from a different angle than had been previously explored, ie, Damron gay and lesbian travel agency. I thought maybe if GB felt comfortable to send GW to him for help (speculation) obtaining a less than legal passport (an application that would not hold up to the general scrutiny of officials) that possibly we could find a clue to GB's real identity. I haven't been able to find out much about Damron's life after he left his job as an FSO. There is a large Damron/Dameron family site that I have just started to go through.

Notarized document bearing photo and both signatures

GW uses the Greek alphabet a lot. The symbol for phi followed by "oto" would be photo ... I think!?

That is interesting. Makes sense that it means "photo" - apparently this is the Bulgarian spelling of the word. Is it the Greek spelling, as well?

That is new in the past 10-12 years I believe. Prior you only needed a signature of the other parent...easily forged and why there were more problems with parents abducting children out of the country. Great work everyone!

Hi there,

Just to seal the deal on this one, I wrote Damron to ask about the passport etc., this is their reply I received today.

"Damron is just a publishing company. Particularly in 1971, the company at that time was just one man (now deceased) who traveled around the United States visiting gay bars. The company has never operated as a tour company or accepted passports from anyone. I'm sorry we can't be of help."

sk

Has anyone with an ancestry membership looked to see if Anna could have been adopted by the Everette L. Damron family?

I tend to think GW knew of ELD rather than GB. Most people who met GB were immediately turned off by him, aside from the few who bought into his strange theories. I can't see someone with ELD's work history having any interest in Brody whatsoever.

I guess what perplexes me now is why Italy? Why would GW need to contact the italian consulate?

jmo

sidekick, I think we can pretty much rule out the damron travel publisher based on the above info regarding the ELD found.

jmo

Has anyone with an ancestry membership looked to see if Anna could have been adopted by the Everette L. Damron family?

I tend to think GW knew of ELD rather than GB. Most people who met GB were immediately turned off by him, aside from the few who bought into his strange theories. I can't see someone with ELD's work history having any interest in Brody whatsoever.

I guess what perplexes me now is why Italy? Why would GW need to contact the italian consulate?

jmo

Hi Cubby,

I did check ELD on ancestry and footnote and there wasn't anything of great interest. I will have another look though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back