Getting started - for newbies in this case - Q & A

When we drove our motorhome to Alaska a few years back, there were billboards in the area about this. It is a very, very remote area. Can't say that enough. I wouldn't for one moment say this is right across the border. This was way north in the middle of nowhere.

One other thing; lots and lots of truckers that mostly drive at night (probably to avoid the slow moving motorhomes that drive during the day.)

would it be possible the killer is a trucker who normally has driven that same route hwy 16 for years?

also, would it be possible for a group of good truckers to get together to look out for these girls or anything unusual up there along hwy 16?

Great idea chemcopout! I wonder if they've tried to get the truckers as their allies on this one? Have them help police their own highway so to speak.

In one of the articles, I recall reading a cop in charge of some of the investigations said it is a popular theory that it is a trucker, but that the roads are such that it would not have been easy for a large truck to pull over discretely without leaving tracks or being noticed, etc.

Thanks Whyaduck for that info.

I'm wondering if the time span of these murders is short enough to where one person could have committed all them? SK's like that have allot of crimes with rape/abduction/murder that lead up to the first SK crimes attributable to them. We don't always learn of their first crimes. That means one would have to add the years of 'becoming' a SK, right? xox

Thanks Whyaduck for that info.

I'm wondering if the time span of these murders is short enough to where one person could have committed all them? SK's like that have allot of crimes with rape/abduction/murder that lead up to the first SK crimes attributable to them. We don't always learn of their first crimes. That means one would have to add the years of 'becoming' a SK, right? xox

The earliest murder on the E-Pana list was in the 1960s, so that one could be connected to the ones in the 1970s, I think. The cluster of killings in the 1990s certainly could all be one person.

However, I don't believe that one killer is responsible for all of the killings and disappearances. It's more likely to be a series of individual murders combined with a couple SKs or multiple murderers.

I live in a community very close to Highway 16- in fact one of the girls that is occasionally included on the E-Pana list was from my town- Quesnel.

There hasn't been alot of publicity about this case(s) here, which I find surprising. But unfortunately I have come to conclusion after a great deal of reading that it's in great part due to most of the victims being First Nations. I read a terrific study by a First Nations woman, that concluded that to be merely born First Nations and female in Canada automatically puts you in the High Risk category. How frightening is that?

I definitely think there is more than one killer involved in this situation- I would think over such a long stretch of time, there would have to be.

I'm wondering if they are including the women who disappeared in Prince George over the summer on the E-Pana list? Does anyone know? Cynthia Maas who disappeared and whose body was later found and Natasha Lynn Montgomery who is from Quesnel, but disappeared in Prince George- she hasn't been found as of yet.

I live in a community very close to Highway 16- in fact one of the girls that is occasionally included on the E-Pana list was from my town- Quesnel.

There hasn't been alot of publicity about this case(s) here, which I find surprising. But unfortunately I have come to conclusion after a great deal of reading that it's in great part due to most of the victims being First Nations. I read a terrific study by a First Nations woman, that concluded that to be merely born First Nations and female in Canada automatically puts you in the High Risk category. How frightening is that?

I definitely think there is more than one killer involved in this situation- I would think over such a long stretch of time, there would have to be.

I'm wondering if they are including the women who disappeared in Prince George over the summer on the E-Pana list? Does anyone know? Cynthia Maas who disappeared and whose body was later found and Natasha Lynn Montgomery who is from Quesnel, but disappeared in Prince George- she hasn't been found as of yet.

Hi celtgirl! You are a most welcome addition to the forum, living close to the locations of these cases.

As far as I know, Ms Maas is "unofficially" added to the list by the media, but neither woman has been officially added to the RCMP list, since the list has not been updated since they went missing. Both do fit the criteria well enough to be discussed in this forum, however, but are not part of the E-Pana investigation at this point, as far as I know.

Again, welcome!

Highway of Tears is on 48 Hours Mystery tomorrow night November 17th. Check for your local listings.

I don't know about everyone else, but this is all new to me! So I'm starting a thread for case newbies!

When did this first hit the news?

Do they talk about the Highway of Tears in Canada a lot?

Do they think any cases in the US have to do with this possible serial killer?

I'm just floored by this case! :(

I'm new here so I'm trying to get settled in or used to the operating system here. lol. I want to find a case that I can contribute to. I've never heard of this before. I haven't read any further than your post here, so I'm going to go on down and check out other posts. Then do my own research. Is this where you're wanting our replies to this case? How does this work? Do we share our evidence or do we do private messages???

Hi I am new here as well. I've only recently started looking into the Highway of Tears cases in the last year. There are a couple I am looking into more, specifically the cases located in or around Smithers, BC. I have a theory or two but it's probably based more on circumstantial than anything. I find the entire situation incredibly sad and irritating, the irritating part is more about the law enforcement presence in these cases or the lack thereof.

Hi I am new here as well. I've only recently started looking into the Highway of Tears cases in the last year. There are a couple I am looking into more, specifically the cases located in or around Smithers, BC. I have a theory or two but it's probably based more on circumstantial than anything. I find the entire situation incredibly sad and irritating, the irritating part is more about the law enforcement presence in these cases or the lack thereof.
One of the girls went missing from The Highway of Tears "Highway 16" near Terrace B.C. this very day in 1974. I had just finished reading a post on fb so your post caught my attention. The actual number of missing and murdered is unknown but even the 18 girls and young women the RCMP acknowledge it's a lot of beautiful young lives lost and trail of grieving people who have no answers. So many boys and young men as well. It really is the Highway of Tears.

Wow. Even more of a coincidence is that I saw an article heading today about all the missing boys and men along the Highway of Tears.
And I probably would have posted three times as well. Cheers to us Newbies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back