WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she was looking for a place to "sleep it off", then she may have thought that parking on a gravel road would be quiet, without any cops coming by.

Good point, though I think we've all pretty much determined she wasn't doing much thinking that day, sadly.

Would you pay for these?

Is this really the time or place to be critiquing his photography?

The man lost his soon-to-be stepson and in all likelihood his fiance.

The other thing that bothers me is that in the interview with KIRO he was boasting about the business & how well he'd been doing...made enough to retire early...but from his websites, it sure doesn't look like it.

Just sayin'.

I missed that, do you have a link? Thank you!

Hmm this bottle of wine which I am hung up on. I read two reports one says corked and almost full, another says capped and half full.

Thats not really alot of wine if it was your standard size. And she bought it at 8. Folks didn't think she was drunk at 10.
I don't think this woman was drunk during the night, I mean after they got stuck.
Still pondering..............

Picture of the bottle here. Looks larger than the standard bottle of table wine since it is a thumb ring type bottle, plus we don't know if that is the only thing she had to drink that day.

http://www.king5.com/home/Father-of-missing-boy-picks-up-search--88194812.html?gallery=y&img=0&c=y

(Sorry I couldn't copy the pic here for some reason)

Does anyone find it strange how they ended up so close to the waters edge? Thats a big beach to end up that far down.
Could a violent accident make all the door fly open? Maybe they were knocked unconscious and floated out the door of the van.
Well that just looks like it was a rough ride down to the water.

She was as close to the water as she could be at low tide. moo

What would happen if a person fell asleep and cold water started splashing in around their feet. How long would it take for a person to wake up?

My opinion, a milisecond.

Now the doors are all open, so the dome lights are on.

We don't know if she left the headlights on. We don't know if the battery was drained from the headlights being on.

We do know that she took a road no one could even see unless the red arrow pointed it out for us, and she drove as close to the water as she could.

Not even looking up the high/low tide, she likely had some idea when it was. She lived on the Sound after all, and RS states they were outdoors people.
She knew.

My question is, did she give her kid a fighting chance to get away from the water, or did she make sure he died in the water.
They say he drowned. That means he was alive and breathed in water.
I hope they follow up with a tox screen, but to me it doesn't matter.

He woke up or didn't. If he woke up, it was a new moon, totally dark. Even if the dome lights were on, and they must have been, he would have been too disoriented to figure out what to do in time. Plus he would have been terrified for his mother also.
Since she did do this to her son, I hope she did drug him so he didn't wake up. But likely, she didn't bother, since she didn't appear to care if he even had a last meal.

I am so angry. Mothers' are not suppose to do things like this to their children. Why didn't she try to get help for herself and for him.

But, maybe she did, and no one heard the warning cries.
I can hope for that much, b/c right now, I hate h*r.

Most women who kill their children either use water, or bury them in water.

moo

On the news they said the latest report was from the school three months ago...we don't know if it was against him, her, or both of them.

I know it was awhile ago, but one of the comments she made on his myspace page says in part:

Makes one wonder.

I hope they did a toxicology on the boy.

snipped bbm

So there was another report by the school in Dec. Do you have a link?
The report at this link say last one was Apr./09

http://www.klewtv.com/news/88624222.html

Thank you, I hadn't seen them. Weird, the big shoe is still tied. Thats a good size bottle of wine. But I buy Sangria for my mother in a bottle like that. She drinks half of it and is not drunk. Oh and by the way, she's 88 years old. LOL

Hi, I am new to this board. There is one thing that has been bothering me all day, I wonder if anyone else saw it. There was video or story where someone mentioned that they should look on some island, they said there was a smaller island near it. I keep thinking that it might have been RS, but not sure. It would have been in the last couple of days. I have looked and looked but can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyne
Would you pay for these?

Originally posted by PaulR:

I agree with PaulR - not the time or place. And if it were, I would say they probably asked for candid photos as well as "portrait." I did. Sorry Off topic.
On topic:I still think we need more info: toxicology, verified info regarding directions she asked for, what the heck she scraped with the mini van, and finding her.

She was as close to the water as she could be at low tide. moo

What would happen if a person fell asleep and cold water started splashing in around their feet. How long would it take for a person to wake up?

My opinion, a milisecond.

Now the doors are all open, so the dome lights are on.

We don't know if she left the headlights on. We don't know if the battery was drained from the headlights being on.

We do know that she took a road no one could even see unless the red arrow pointed it out for us, and she drove as close to the water as she could.

Not even looking up the high/low tide, she likely had some idea when it was. She lived on the Sound after all, and RS states they were outdoors people.
She knew.

My question is, did she give her kid a fighting chance to get away from the water, or did she make sure he died in the water.
They say he drowned. That means he was alive and breathed in water.
I hope they follow up with a tox screen, but to me it doesn't matter.

He woke up or didn't. If he woke up, it was a new moon, totally dark. Even if the dome lights were on, and they must have been, he would have been too disoriented to figure out what to do in time. Plus he would have been terrified for his mother also.
Since she did do this to her son, I hope she did drug him so he didn't wake up. But likely, she didn't bother, since she didn't appear to care if he even had a last meal.

I am so angry. Mothers' are not suppose to do things like this to their children. Why didn't she try to get help for herself and for him.

But, maybe she did, and no one heard the warning cries.
I can hope for that much, b/c right now, I hate h*r.

Most women who kill their children either use water, or bury them in water.

moo

Here is a link from RR's Scout website - it shows all of the training they do with lifesaving, etc.

http://usscouts.org/advance/heroism.asp

Yosande, I am with you, I hate this woman too.
I do want to understand this.

I am surprised that the people did not see anyone after the pounding. And what could it mean, that the bloodhounds did not pick up the trail? Isn't that odd?

I also wonder if she dreaded the visit to the step family due to past trouble with them.

Did they call to report it right away, or wait until morning?

Hi, I am new to this board. There is one thing that has been bothering me all day, I wonder if anyone else saw it. There was video or story where someone mentioned that they should look on some island, they said there was a smaller island near it. I keep thinking that it might have been RS, but not sure. It would have been in the last couple of days. I have looked and looked but can't find it.

This may be what you are talking about:
http://www.theolympian.com/2010/03/15/1172788/van-found-on-beach-but-mom-boy.html

Searchers also planned to talk to residents across Dana Passage on Harstine Island, in case someone noted when the van arrived on the beach, he said.

Harstine is immediately across the passage, so if you were "swimming" (say) to the closest bit of land, you'd end up there.

Map for reference.

Originally posted by PaulR:

I agree with PaulR - not the time or place. And if it were, I would say they probably asked for candid photos as well as "portrait." I did. Sorry Off topic.
On topic:I still think we need more info: toxicology, verified info regarding directions she asked for, what the heck she scraped with the mini van, and finding her.

Sorry, just that he was boasting about what a good business he has going & it seems to fit in the the web of lies...

A mark is evident is shown on the passenger side of the abandoned van of Shantina Smiley Tuesday March 16, 2010 in Tumwater,Wash., which was found on a beach near Zangle Road Sunday, with no trace of Smiley or her eight year-old son Azriel Carver.

Thanks for the picture of the mark (long scrape?) on the side of the van. Didn't Azriel say that her mother had an accident? Might explain the mark on the side of the van.

I'd have to think that LE would be checking reports of hit and run accidents in the area.

I've been lurking for days and I finally have to state my thoughts....

I think, given her history, she wanted out. Why did it take a year to get her son back when she passed out & CPS (or CS) investigated? How long was he removed from her care?

Anyway, she seemed familiar to the area. It seems like the stops she made were off-the-beaten path...it's not like she took an exit, stopped at a near-by store and went on her way. How did she know where these stores were? From driving around or did she know the area?

I know the autopsy has been complete, but the toxicology report hasn't come back, has it?

My theory is she was overwhelmed. She wanted out. She drove around for hours when she could have easily gotten on the interstate. She buys wine because she needs to relax and get up the courage for what she wants to do. I'll be surprised if Azriel does not have benzos (anti-anxiety meds) in his system. He was probably complaining that he was hungry by nine o'clock without anything to eat but a candy bar/gum and a soda, so the stop for the corn dog. For some reason they leave (maybe she told him they had to hurry to meet RS - drugs are more effective on an empty stomach and she did let him buy a drink, so maybe that's how she did it). She drives around some more. She gets "lost" again and knocks on a stranger's door for directions and uses the phone. Azriel complains about STILL being hungry, so he is given a pizza. She drives around some more until he falls asleep, then she drives to the beach. If he is asleep due to drugs in his system, she could have easily drowned him and he wouldn't struggle, which would make the drowning "seem" accidental. After she does, she has a moment of clarity when she realizes what she did and regrets it, pounds on the garage looking for help, but knows it was wrong, so she leaves, possibly OD'ing...or maybe she took her purse, bag and some cash and left?

Which makes me think...maybe someone else is involved and picked her up?

I know...a far-fetched story...but why else would she drive around for hours unless she was really drunk (which someone would have noticed something) or she wanted Azriel to be sleeping?

A long brain-storm here....

~~~MarLou~~~

The only reason I can think of is she was waiting for low tide, so she could get the van as close to being completely submerged as possible when the tide came in.

Perhaps she was hoping the water would drag the van further out, but the doors all open says she didn't want it to float.

moo,

" In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care."

Does anyone know which relatives?

ps - my dog died a few days ago so i've kind of thrown myself into this. thanks for being such good company :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa