STONEHENGE: Amazement at archaeologists' incredible discovery

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Using powerful ground-penetrating radar, investigators working around Stonehenge have detected a trove of previously unknown burial mounds, chapels, shrines, pits — and most remarkable of all — a massive megalithic monument made up of more than 50 giant stones buried along a 1,082-foot-long c-shaped enclosure.

This news is unreal — and it's resetting virtually everything we thought we knew about Stonehenge.

More here -- http://io9.com/archaeologists-have-made-an-incredible-discovery-at-sto-1632927903 -- with links to Independent and BBC articles, plus a video.

The hidden empire below Stonehenge: Radar scanners find 17 more sites near ancient stones (Daily Mail)
• Archaeologists believe site was centre of a network of religious monuments
• Technology has unearthed a complex of shrines and burial mounds
• It includes 17 previously unknown wooden or stone structures
• Many are thought to have hosted gruesome rituals involving the dead
• Scientists from Birmingham University have spent four years mapping area
The story & pictures at the link.

Stonehenge: ghostly outlines of missing stones appear (Telegraph)
Archaeologists can now say for certain that Stonehenge was once a complete
circle after the dry weather revealed the ghostly outlines of missing stones.

Fascinating... I live 10 minutes away from stonehenge now, being in the stones at solstice had been one of the best experiences of my life.

I was at a free festival there in the 70s, with a bunch of bikers. I watched the sunrise over the Heel Stone. Never forgotten it. Wild days, you could climb and sit on the stones then.

Fascinating... I live 10 minutes away from stonehenge now, being in the stones at solstice had been one of the best experiences of my life.

How wonderful for you..

I have always wanted to go there for solstice..

One day in the future I will...

The energy there must have been strong and beautiful

How wonderful for you..

I have always wanted to go there for solstice..

One day in the future I will...

The energy there must have been strong and beautiful

I recommend Avebury circle instead. Much smaller crowds, much less police and military surveillance. Much stronger ley line energy too.

I spent Midsummer night in the Avebury circle a few years ago. It was the first dry solstice in many years and the skies were clear all night. About 4a.m. at first light a beautiful ground fog arose, making the stones appear to float above the ground. It was magical.

Then at proper sunrise the 200 or so celebrants joined in a circle to witness a couple being handfasted.

Unforgettable.

ETA that same Solstice there were 11,000 celebrants at Stonehenge.

I recommend Avebury circle instead. Much smaller crowds, much less police and military surveillance. Much stronger ley line energy too.

I spent Midsummer night in the Avebury circle a few years ago. It was the first dry solstice in many years and the skies were clear all night. About 4a.m. at first light a beautiful ground fog arose, making the stones appear to float above the ground. It was magical.

Then at proper sunrise the 200 or so celebrants joined in a circle to witness a couple being handfasted.

Unforgettable.

ETA that same Solstice there were 11,000 celebrants at Stonehenge.

What a night you had....it sounds entirely magical.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasmineVOM
Back