The Alarm

My question is where this piece of equipment is located. If it's in the basement, the perp might have tripped it intentionally - but if it's upstairs, would an animal tech have had access to that part of the building?

It MIGHT just be a coincidence - if it was, it might have interrupted the perps attempt to clean up/dispose of the body.

There are multiple reports that RC went to a bunch of places in the building that were outside his normal route, including areas that he really had no business being in but still had access to.

I'd be very interested in knowing if his card shows access in the area that had the sensor that triggered the alarm.

A surveillance camera captured Clark leaving the building following a fire alarm that he may have set off to give himself an excuse for leaving in the middle of a workday.

The footage is said to show him holding his head in his hands, clearly distraught.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._creep_in_prison_for_keeps.html#ixzz0RTZcWmT5

I'm a little confused by "excuse for leaving in the middle of a workday." Does that mean he left the building along with everyone else following the alarm, and then never went back into the building (therefore "leaving in the middle" of the day)?

I know another report said that he was in the building after hours that same Tuesday. So what was going on between 12:40PM, when the alarm went off and he came out of the building according to video cameras, and when he came back to the building (after hours?)? Did he go home? Change clothes? Call someone?

where i work, the lab hoods are alarmed in case of unexpected chemical reaction or accident. the hoods are ventilated via the roof of the building. generally when a lab hood alarm goes off, the lab is evacuated, not the entire building.

I hadn't heard this until today. WARNING: Rest of article may be a bit disturbing to read but explains why identification was difficult.

In his haste to cover his tracks after Le was killed, Clark accidentally tripped a fire alarm -- possibly with his own or Le's employee swipe card, the source said.

Clark had used both his and Le's cards to access various areas of the lab after her murder -- and those swipe cards can be used to sound a fire alert, according to the source.

"He didn't mean to set off the alarm," the source said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/slain_grad_bones_broken_m4kbEBcSjtrH2luFH8HrtI

Wouldn't LE already know if Clark had swiped his way into the room at the time where the "steam" equipment's alarm went off?

If he wasn't ever in that room that day, it's unlikely he caused the alarm to go off. But, if the "card swipe" record shows that Clark was in that room at some point (and no one else was), it could be shown that he caused it.

I don't know how this alarm works, but it would seem that the alarm would "go off" when the level of steam in the room or hood gets too high. I wonder how long that would take for the alarm to sound if the steam was turned on by Clark? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? 2 hours?

Here is part of the time-line that has been posted. The part addressing the alarm is what was written at the time.

Sept. 8th (10:00a) - Annie on video being let into building on Amistad.

- moments later passed through basement lab area
- Annie swipes her way into a separate room of lab (last card swipe for Annie)
- CLARK enters same room short time later
- Clark moves around laboratory entering rooms he normally would not be in.
- Clark swipes into another area -- the place where Le's body eventually found after five days, stuffed into a 2-foot crawl space behind a wall.
- Clark swiped a total of 10 times including after hours
THE ABOVE INFORMATION FROM COMPUTERIZED CARD SWIPES

Sept 8th -(10:30 - 12:00p) Dr. Bennett teaching a class, Pharmacology 528a, Principles of Signal Transduction. Located in Sterling bldg. (No verification that Annie was to attend).

Sept. 8th (12:00p) - Bennett e-mailed Dr. Schlessinger (chair Department of Pharmacology) around noon to inform that Le had not arrived at work (class?).

Sept. 8th (12:40p) - Steam alarm alerting people to exit; thought to be caused by the release of steam from a lab hood. (no report if intentional or accident).

Sept. 8th (9:00p) - Annie reported missing by roommate

Here is part of the time-line that has been posted. The part addressing the alarm is what was written at the time.

Sept. 8th (10:00a) - Annie on video being let into building on Amistad.

- moments later passed through basement lab area
- Annie swipes her way into a separate room of lab (last card swipe for Annie)
- CLARK enters same room short time later
- Clark moves around laboratory entering rooms he normally would not be in.
- Clark swipes into another area -- the place where Le's body eventually found after five days, stuffed into a 2-foot crawl space behind a wall.
- Clark swiped a total of 10 times including after hours
THE ABOVE INFORMATION FROM COMPUTERIZED CARD SWIPES

Sept 8th -(10:30 - 12:00p) Dr. Bennett teaching a class, Pharmacology 528a, Principles of Signal Transduction. Located in Sterling bldg. (No verification that Annie was to attend).

Sept. 8th (12:00p) - Bennett e-mailed Dr. Schlessinger (chair Department of Pharmacology) around noon to inform that Le had not arrived at work (class?).

Sept. 8th (12:40p) - Steam alarm alerting people to exit; thought to be caused by the release of steam from a lab hood. (no report if intentional or accident).

Sept. 8th (9:00p) - Annie reported missing by roommate

reports today, though may be false, suggest the alarm was set off unintentionally from the card swiping...
"Clark accidentally tripped a fire alarm -- possibly with his own or Le's employee swipe card, the source said."
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/slain_grad_student_body_mashed_m4kbEBcSjtrH2luFH8HrtI

I hadn't heard this until today. WARNING: Rest of article may be a bit disturbing to read but explains why identification was difficult.

In his haste to cover his tracks after Le was killed, Clark accidentally tripped a fire alarm -- possibly with his own or Le's employee swipe card, the source said.

Clark had used both his and Le's cards to access various areas of the lab after her murder -- and those swipe cards can be used to sound a fire alert, according to the source.

"He didn't mean to set off the alarm," the source said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/slain_grad_bones_broken_m4kbEBcSjtrH2luFH8HrtI

For what it's worth, The New Haven police chief made a statement saying the New York Post article about the horrible part of that article being wrong. He says that he's correcting the misinformation at the request of the State's Attorney.

So it could be that the alarm information is wrong too.

But he didn't deny that part AFAIK.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,2304773.story

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/21/ng.01.html

GRACE: Thomas Kaplan with the "Yale Daily News," what can you tell us, Thomas?

THOMAS KAPLAN, EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, YALE DAILY NEWS, NEWSPAPER BROKE STORY OF MISSING YALE STUDENT: Well, the state`s attorney actually took a very unusual step today in instructing the police to speak publicly about this and shoot down this report.

We know there actually were a couple of other inaccuracies in the "New York Post" report. The story also said that Raymond Clark triggered the fire alarm himself accidentally. The police told us today on the record that the false alarm was not triggered by Raymond Clark and had nothing at all to do with the murder.

The alarm could have been used as a decoy to get people out of the building so Annie Le's body could be moved, if she was dead at that point.

The alarm could have been used as a decoy to get people out of the building so Annie Le's body could be moved, if she was dead at that point.

Surveillance caught RC outside during the time period after the alarm went off so he couldn't have moved the body during that time, unless an accomplice moved it. However, LE has stated there will be no additional arrests (time will tell).

Surveillance caught RC outside during the time period after the alarm went off so he couldn't have moved the body during that time, unless an accomplice moved it. However, LE has stated there will be no additional arrests (time will tell).

That's if you're assuming Ray Clark did it. I'm thinking whoever did it used the alarm as a decoy. If I was Ray Clark, and I committed murder, I would have used that as an excuse to tell everyone to leave the basement area and then proceed to hide the body. So maybe it was used as a cover for someone else. Any idea how long the alarm was active? And if everyone exited the lab area?

That's if you're assuming Ray Clark did it. I'm thinking whoever did it used the alarm as a decoy. If I was Ray Clark, and I committed murder, I would have used that as an excuse to tell everyone to leave the basement area and then proceed to hide the body. So maybe it was used as a cover for someone else. Any idea how long the alarm was active? And if everyone exited the lab area?

BBM -I have no idea but the police have that information. If anyone was in the areas of the crime scenes at that crucial time period I am positive they would have been looked at very closely.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/city-news/2009/09/22/police-fire-alarm-was-unrelated-le/

The fire alarm that sounded at 10 Amistad St. on the day Annie Le GRD ’13 was murdered had nothing to do with her death, New Haven Police Department Chief James Lewis said Monday.

In a wide-ranging interview in his office at police headquarters, Lewis said authorities have uncovered no evidence to support the theory that the alarm was set off by the person who strangled Le to death or by an accomplice.

The chief also said that Le’s accused killer, Yale animal lab technician Raymond Clark III, is likely to remain the only person arrested in connection with her murder.

BBM -I have no idea but the police have that information. If anyone was in the areas of the crime scenes at that crucial time period I am positive they would have been looked at very closely.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/city-news/2009/09/22/police-fire-alarm-was-unrelated-le/

They asked for DNA from various people in addition to Ray Clark, so they must have had others in mind. You can't just ask everyone on campus to give a sample for the sake of having it. That's what bothers me about police asking for such things before they make an arrest. You're assuming everyone is guilty. You don't know what happens to that DNA sample you give.

That behavior aroused investigators' suspicions about Raymond Clark III, but the final piece that led to his arrest Thursday morning was the discovery that evidence in the ceiling and in the crawl space where Le's body was found contained the DNA of both Le and Clark, according to the law enforcement official who spoke to The Courant on the condition of anonymity.

Isn't DNA wonderful?

They asked for DNA from various people in addition to Ray Clark, so they must have had others in mind. You can't just ask everyone on campus to give a sample for the sake of having it. That's what bothers me about police asking for such things before they make an arrest. You're assuming everyone is guilty. You don't know what happens to that DNA sample you give.

bold is mine

IIRC, they followed card swipes and narrowed it down to Ray Clark as being everywhere that Annie's card was swiped. Others were there along the way, and it was probably those people that they asked for DNA.

Re the bold text. I might be misunderstanding you but don't the police HAVE to assume ANYONE could be the guilty person? Isn't that better than focusing only on ONE before you have forensic evidence?

The problem with focusing on just one person is that you get tunnel vision and when the evidence points to the contrary, you want to solve this case so badly, you're willing to ignore it. Investigators are human. But the focus on the wrong person also gives time for that actual perp to clear up his tracks.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the trial to see what kind of hard evidence they have to place Clark at the crime scene and the disposal scene. Like I've said before, card swipes can be done by others (if the swipes are definitive proof of murder) and DNA can be planted. If she has his DNA under her nails, that would be more convincing to me.

The problem with focusing on just one person is that you get tunnel vision and when the evidence points to the contrary, you want to solve this case so badly, you're willing to ignore it. Investigators are human. But the focus on the wrong person also gives time for that actual perp to clear up his tracks.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the trial to see what kind of hard evidence they have to place Clark at the crime scene and the disposal scene. Like I've said before, card swipes can be done by others (if the swipes are definitive proof of murder) and DNA can be planted. If she has his DNA under her nails, that would be more convincing to me.

What evidence is pointing to the contrary? Please post your sources so that we can have this additional evidence.

What evidence is pointing to the contrary? Please post your sources so that we can have this additional evidence.

I wish I could. The nameless, faceless sources are only giving evidence to the media that pushes the idea that Clark killed Le.

The only thing I can do is show that people should not rush to judgment because what the police or sources aren't saying could be even more important in clearing Clark than what is being published.

The most damning evidence that can find would be Ray's skin cells under Annie's nails. Otherwise, much of what they are saying could be faked, or misinterpreted as evidence of guilt (like card swipes into areas he was not supposed normally go into).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back