CA CA - Gary Devore, 55, Palmdale, 28 June 1997

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Odd we don't have a thread for this one, such is its interest. There appear to be several articles on line about the case. This one, from Fortean Times, September 2010, thoroughly presents it, in all its many facets.

Hollywood Hitmen
Black helicopters, underground bases, laser weapons and
the mysterious death of Schwazenegger's screenwriter...

As he drove through the small hours of the Californian night, Gary Devore insisted to his wife Wendy: “I’m pumping pure adrenaline.”

“This was not a normal phone call… I felt he was warning me,” Wendy later recalled. “I love you,” she had said, expectantly.

“See you later,” Gary mumbled. It was the last time Wendy Oates-Devore would ever speak to her husband, the 55-year-old Hollywood screenwriter who’d worked on major projects with stars such as Kurt Russell, Christopher Walken and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He had vanished. Swallowed, it seemed, by the desert highway.

Gary had been returning from actress friend Marsha Mason’s New Mexico residence where he had just finished a screenplay he’d told his wife would be the hardest-hitting piece of film Hollywood had ever seen. A year later, in the summer of 1998, his car was located by a police dive team in a shallow aqueduct following a tip-off from an ‘amateur sleuth’. Inside the vehicle, belted into the front seat and dressed in Gary’s cowboy clothing, sat a skeletal corpse.

The Californian Highway Patrol wrote a 158-page report declaring it an accident: case closed. And that was that… except for the fact that many of those who knew Gary Devore remain convinced that the official investigation was a whitewash, that Gary was murdered, and that the US government itself has been trying to wipe clean its fingerprints from the case.
---
the rest of the lengthy article at the FT link above

Wow, how did I miss this case when it happened? It has all the elements that make a great crime story.

So much to hash over in this, but the one item that really freaked me out was the 200 year old set of hands in the backseat?! :eek: Creepy as hell!

Now I've got to find more stories on this. Any chance there's a book?

Number of mysterious deaths linked to Christopher Walken that I know about: 2

Number of conspiracy 'theories' covered by that article: at least 30

A successful regime of disinformation: priceless

Number of mysterious deaths linked to Christopher Walken that I know about: 2

Number of conspiracy 'theories' covered by that article: at least 30

A successful regime of disinformation: priceless
(Nodding head eagerly at mention of Chris Walken) "Noticed that too."

Wow, how did I miss this case when it happened? It has all the elements that make a great crime story.

So much to hash over in this, but the one item that really freaked me out was the 200 year old set of hands in the backseat?! :eek: Creepy as hell!

Now I've got to find more stories on this. Any chance there's a book?
Haven't checked but I don't think there's a book. Agreed on the "set of 200-year-old hands" weirdness. #creepyindeed
I read about the case in FT when it was published - I need to find that issue, it's around here somewhere, as I hate reading (re-reading, in this case) long stories on a monitor.

The case is covered in other forums online. For maximum high weirdness, I'd check David Icke's site. The FT article has the advantage of rationality as Fortean Times, while a wonderful source of all things anomalous, also does bring a healthy degree of skepticism to proceedings.

Odd we don't have a thread for this one, such is its interest. There appear to be several articles on line about the case. This one, from Fortean Times, September 2010, thoroughly presents it, in all its many facets.

Hollywood Hitmen
Black helicopters, underground bases, laser weapons and
the mysterious death of Schwazenegger's screenwriter...

the rest of the lengthy article at the FT link above

BBM

Fascinating. Here's another article:

http://www.eonline.com/news/36685/lost-screenwriter-sleuth-speaks

I was curious about the place his car was found. I think this may be the location (bridge over California Aqueduct marked with arrow). What do you think?:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.5...89,-118.124034&sspn=0.01702,0.033023&t=h&z=15

BBM

Fascinating. Here's another article:

http://www.eonline.com/news/36685/lost-screenwriter-sleuth-speaks

I was curious about the place his car was found. I think this may be the location (bridge over California Aqueduct marked with arrow). What do you think?:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.5...89,-118.124034&sspn=0.01702,0.033023&t=h&z=15

Could be but it's hard to tell because there is a fundamental contradiction in the three articles (FT, eonline and CNN interview with Devore's wife Wendy). They mention the event taking place somewhere along the Antelope Valley Freeway but they also mention the event being investigated by Santa Barbara Sheriff Dept which would mean the accident could not have taken place on the AVF which is in Los Angeles County (including Palmdale). There would be no reason for Devore to be anywhere in Santa Barbara County... or even in Palmdale for that matter.

He last told his wife he was past Barstow and the most direct route from there to Los Angeles is I-15, unless one is headed for a location west of Santa Monica. The whole story is bizarre but I am suspicious of details provided by FT that are not mentioned anywhere else: mysterious unmarked helicopter with no less mysterious 'men in black' inside, 42-story deep research facilities patrolled by 'orbs'... someone's been watching too many X-Files re-runs methinks.

Agreed on the "set of 200-year-old hands" weirdness. #creepyindeed

Not just creepy, makes no sense. If this was a big government cover-up one would think that government agents, when in need of a set of hands, would not dig up a two century-old grave to get them when morgues and research facilities would constitute a much more practical source of body parts of a more recent vintage.

You have the location correct. I can still recall when they pulled the vehicle out.

If the location is correct then I don't get why the FT article mentions that the vehicle had to be doing at least 65 mph and aiming at a 16-foot wide gap in the rail (I converted these values from the metrics used in the article) in order to end up where it was found. I lived near the aqueduct for years (though not in Palmdale) and the easiest way to get a vehicle in there is to simply push it off the service road down the incline . This service road can be accessed relatively easily without going through the gates, especially with a 4x4 truck or SUV.

Also, due to variations in the flow rate a vehicle submerged for months would not remain at the spot it was dumped at so FT's calculations are to be taken with a barrel of salt.

I'm not convinced Devore's finances were as sound as his wife says (or believes) and like in any other potential murder one has to follow the money. Who stood to benefit the most from Devore's death? The government, or the beneficiary of his life insurance? Why did his wife pull the reward?

The possibility that Devore staged his own death to evade creditors can't be summarily brushed aside. The ancient hands..., private autopsy (insurance won't pay without some kind of proof of death and the official autopsy was inconclusive). Like I wrote in a previous post government plotters would have had little difficulty getting their hands on a fresher set of hands (no pun intended), but if Devore himself had to find some without being noticed it would have been a lot more difficult. I have seen head shops in Tijuana that sell whole skeletons and it's obvious they are the real thing. Old bones are plentiful and scarcely regulated in Mexico, it is cheaper to sell real bones than imitations like those found here. Back in college in San Diego decades ago our dorm mascot was a skull smuggled from across the border. It is illegal to import such items due to desecration laws in effect in CA and the possibility that some remains may have some archeological value in Mexico, but the penalty if you get caught is laughable (confiscation and a small fine) so the risk is low and really not that much of a deterrent.

[video=youtube;prMP6th4VOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMP6th4VOE[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back