Significance of the time of year the girls were taken

It is my understanding that some Easter Bunnys' are indeed females, at these malls. Also, if my memory is correct, I believe LE claimed to have interviewed the Bunny or Bunnys' from 25Mar75.

I would hope they have interviewed all the Bunnies that worked 3/25/75, but you never know.
I have a feeling that LE has probably interviewed the perp, but just didn't know it was the perp. In most cases LE interviews the perp, either unsuspectingly, or they suspect but cannot get enough evidence to do anything about it.
My feeling is this perp has been interviewed unsuspectingly as part of some type of routine interview LE conducted, probably early on. This is just my opinion after reading so many other abduction cases. It seems LE usually questions the right person at some point.

Very well stated.
It's difficult to determine just what that day is happenstance, and what was planned. It's good to look at all possibilites. This individual is twisted in some way, a spiritual take is as good as any, and in fact more probable in many ways.

At least it's a way for the rest of us to try to make sense of what really makes no sense at all. Church lore is supposed to assist us spiritually and, in seeking in it a way of reasoning out the unfathomable, it serves its purpose.

The holiday and/or religious significance is interesting.

What about a college student who was home during spring break? One that the girls knew in passing, like maybe the older sibling of one of their friends? That person could have gone back to school before the police got around to thoroughly questioning them or before even realizing that they should question them.

Or, someone traveling during a holiday break from school or work: Did Maryland have those "Maryland House" rest stops back then? Or did people have to go within a town/suburb, to find a bathroom or food off the highway?

If the girls arrived home during the window of time that their parents were out, would they have gone into or been able to go into the house by themselves? Would they have gone to a neighbor's house - possibly one where an out of town relative was visiting for the holidays? Or, would they have used the fact that their parents weren't home as a free pass to walk back to the mall and spend some more time there?

If the religious aspect has any validity, it might have been a former seminarian or a defrocked priest.

The holiday and/or religious significance is interesting.

What about a college student who was home during spring break? One that the girls knew in passing, like maybe the older sibling of one of their friends? That person could have gone back to school before the police got around to thoroughly questioning them or before even realizing that they should question them.

Or, someone traveling during a holiday break from school or work: Did Maryland have those "Maryland House" rest stops back then? Or did people have to go within a town/suburb, to find a bathroom or food off the highway?

If the girls arrived home during the window of time that their parents were out, would they have gone into or been able to go into the house by themselves? Would they have gone to a neighbor's house - possibly one where an out of town relative was visiting for the holidays? Or, would they have used the fact that their parents weren't home as a free pass to walk back to the mall and spend some more time there?

LillyRush,these are GREAT ideas!! The college student is most interesting to me.I could really see that happening.Also,you mentioned the girls going back to the mall if they'd come home to an empty house.Remember the sighting of the girls by a kid that said he saw them around 7:30 that night,I know that it was discounted,but maybe they did turn back and that's when he saw them.SharetheLight pointed out to me before, that their parents were out looking for them around that time,this would only work if they would have just missed them.I don't know,it doesn't take long to hop in a car.

A college kid would fit right into the time of year theme. Good thought. Either home on break or traveling for break. This theory could work even without the 7:30pm sighting. I think the parents arrived home sometime around 4 or 4:30 so clearly the girls weren't home then. Good questions about could the girls get in the house with no one home. I'd assume a 12 yr. old would have a key, but who knows. Maybe they even left the door open. Growing up we left our door unlocked when our family was here there and everywhere. (wow, has time changed things!!!)
As for rest stops like the Maryland House, they were definitely around in the 70s.

If the religious aspect has any validity, it might have been a former seminarian or a defrocked priest.

Yes, someone who was turned away, or had turned away from religion.

But maybe even a faithful congregant of a church who just has skewed views, and looks to rituals. Rituals would be important if this case has a religious aspect to it.

These are interesting theories concerning who might have abducted the girls.

As to there being a significance to the Easter Season, I would tend to doubt that, or think of it as a long shot without other supporting evidence. For instance, if this guy had made phone calls or left behind some sort of evidence that he was in fact a religious type of guy, then the Easter angle would be a stronger possibility.

One of the most common traits of abductors and child molesters is that they tend to think only of themselves at all times. Thoughts of others (like a group, accomplice, or victim) are usually only taken into consideration as to how they fulfill their own wants. In other words, they might use a technique which plays on others' feelings, but might not actually feel that way themselves.

It would seem far more likely that the more immediate variables such as warm weather, time of day, and situation of school being out and a lot of kids at the mall played a direct part in this specific crime. Also, such factors as moon phase, day of the week, etc could affect the abductor in some way. When all factors have been analyzed, possible patterns might be seen when comparing this crime with others (solved and unsolved).

One wonders how things might have been different if it had been raining. Or if Kate's friend had accompanied them to the mall that day. Or if they had arrived a half hour earlier. Or if they had decided to go to a movie that afternoon. The list is endless, but not meant to cause anxiety or second guessing. What I am saying is that I think this crime involved both carefull planning AND the elements of chance.

With the lack of evidence in this case, certainly just about anything is possible. Regarding the possibility that the abductor may have known or been familiar to the girls; many friends, relatives, and acquaintences were interviewed and questioned by police in an attempt to develop a possible suspect, but with no luck at all.

I do agree with the concept of the abductor being at least "familiar" with/to the girls, as I mentioned in a post earlier. I feel that the abductor may well have been the Tape Recorder Man, whose "interview" with them was only a way of introducing himself to them and making them feel comfortable around him - if only enough to approach his vehicle.

I understand what you are saying,but I would really like to see a list of all those questioned and interviewed. I'd like to know if they questioned these people.......
The Lyon's priest
Male members of thier church
John Lyon's band mates and coworkers
The husbands of Mary Lyon's bowling mates
The girls' teachers
Jay Lyon's friends
Mall Security whom were not working that day but may have had access to those tunnels due to their position.

What I'm trying to say is that I know that LE talked to many people known to the Lyon family,but considering that John was a DJ and played in a band,he knew many many people.I know that Thrasher has said that John had no enemies,and given what I've read about him,I'd say he's a saint,but there isn't ANYONE who can say for sure if he had a crazy fan or upset some nut on the air.Unless someone called in to argue with him, he wouldn't know.How do you interview everyone that listens to a DJ's show? Not possible.

I understand what you are saying,but I would really like to see a list of all those questioned and interviewed. I'd like to know if they questioned these people.......
The Lyon's priest
Male members of thier church
John Lyon's band mates and coworkers
The husbands of Mary Lyon's bowling mates
The girls' teachers
Jay Lyon's friends
Mall Security whom were not working that day but may have had access to those tunnels due to their position.

What I'm trying to say is that I know that LE talked to many people known to the Lyon family,but considering that John was a DJ and played in a band,he knew many many people.I know that Thrasher has said that John had no enemies,and given what I've read about him,I'd say he's a saint,but there isn't ANYONE who can say for sure if he had a crazy fan or upset some nut on the air.Unless someone called in to argue with him, he wouldn't know.How do you interview everyone that listens to a DJ's show? Not possible.

You make a good point Motherof5, when dealing with a public figure, the list of people "known" to the victims family grows exponentially. It basically covers the entire region that John Lyon's radio broadcast reached. That is a lot of people.
I agree that you cannot be sure who may have heard him on the radio, seen his band, and got some twisted ideas.

In thinking more about the time of year these girls were taken. Maybe the weather plays into this. Specifically the rain.
As I sit and listen to the rain pouring down outside, I am reminded that the Lyon sisters were abducted in the rainy season. It didn't rain the day they were taken, but it rained the day before and the day after making searches for the girls difficult. I don't know if the rain affects dog searches. Maybe someone familiar with tracking dogs can answer that one. Rain definitely impedes ground and air searches so maybe our perp uses the weather to his advantage.

I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

If you look in the thread about Suspects, you will see a story that I posted about a guy named Elwood Leroy Leuschner. Leuschner murdered two little boys on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in 1977. It has never been established exactly when he first appeared in Maryland, but he was paroled from prison in California in early 1974.

Leuschner had been serving time there for the rape of a 12-year-old girl. He had dressed up in a Priest's frock and asked the little girl to help him carry some boxes into a church, and when she did, he raped her inside the church. Leuschner was probably not very religious, and I am sure that there is a special place in hell for him today, but he used the Priest disguise to gain the child's confidence.

I don't want to bring suspicion on any church or clergy, but from the angle that a child might tend to trust someone dressed as a priest,you bring up a good point. The Lyon girls were Catholic and attended Mass regularly. They probably had a respect and trust for someone that appeared to be a priest.

If you look in the thread about Suspects, you will see a story that I posted about a guy named Elwood Leroy Leuschner. Leuschner murdered two little boys on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in 1977. It has never been established exactly when he first appeared in Maryland, but he was paroled from prison in California in early 1974.

Leuschner had been serving time there for the rape of a 12-year-old girl. He had dressed up in a Priest's frock and asked the little girl to help him carry some boxes into a church, and when she did, he raped her inside the church. Leuschner was probably not very religious, and I am sure that there is a special place in hell for him today, but he used the Priest disguise to gain the child's confidence.

I just thought this case was interesting because it happened not to far away, the girl went to catholic school and a minister is mentioned.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/verdecchia_mary.html

I just thought this case was interesting because it happened not to far away, the girl went to catholic school and a minister is mentioned.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/verdecchia_mary.html

wow, I wonder what made this guy come forward after 29 years?? I also wonder who the Presbytarian clergy was. And if he had any connections anywhere else with disappearances. If he had something to do with this girl, he certainly has other cases. And it sounds like he is just out there walkin' the streets. I'd really like to know more about this clergy fellow.

...As I sit and listen to the rain pouring down outside, I am reminded that the Lyon sisters were abducted in the rainy season. It didn't rain the day they were taken, but it rained the day before and the day after making searches for the girls difficult. I don't know if the rain affects dog searches. Maybe someone familiar with tracking dogs can answer that one.....

I have trained tracking dogs. Weather does indeed play a part in tracking. Where rain is concerned, it helps if rain has dampened and cooled an area before a track is laid down (that is before the person being tracked passes through an area). But it does tend to wash scent off trees, bushes, sidewalks, etc AFTER the scent has been left.

Hot and dry weather actually makes for the most difficult tracking conditions. Scent evaporates and dissipates with heat and dry vegetation and dirt do not hold the scent as well.

Time, of course, is also a limiting factor as the older the scent, the more it fades.

Dogs have a phenominal scense of smell, far beyond any human can understand. A well trained and focussed tracking dog can pick up a scent that is more than 24 hours old and immediately KNOW which way the person was headed.

A tracking dog and his trainer/handler work as a team and it takes both to be successful.

College Spring Break does not coincide with Easter Break. The late March timeframe is late for colleges.

In 1975 the University of MD's spring break began 3/21

This is from the Washington Star article 4/6/75.
snipped by me-

Melanie and her sister, Cassandra, 16, are frequent companions of Sheila and Kate. The night before they had played gin rummy together until 10 p.m. in the Ganas' Kitchen. They live several doors from the Lyons on the other side of the street.

Sheila was friends with Cassandra,who was a bit older than her at 16. The girls were at Cassandra's house until 10:00 pm the night before they went missing. I wonder if there was anyone else over there playing gin rummy that night,any other older teenagers or adults? Cassandra's other friends,parents,parents' friends,relatives?

Same article,also snipped by me-

Kate said no, that she couldn't come up to play with me," Melanie, a beautiful dark-eyed little girl, recalled later. "She said she had to go to the Plaza (Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center) and get out of the house because her father was sleeping.

"She wanted me to go with them and I said, No, my mother doesn't let me walk up there by myself." At that, Melanie cast a glance at her mother, sitting on the other side of the Ganas living room.

"I believe I said you don't have any business up there," said Mrs. Ganas. "I just never believed in it. I thought there was a possibility of danger with girls going up there at a young age."

"I had asked Kate what time she was going to be home," Melanie recalled. "Kate said, 'three.' I said, 'I'll call you then; and Kate said. 'all right.'"

We've discussed the fact that the girls decided to go to the mall at the last minute,we know that this is true due to Mary Lyon's interview.However,Kate's friend,Melanie Ganas,knew that the girls were getting ready to leave for the mall when she called and when they planned to be home because Kate had told her.That means that anyone at Melanie's house could know this too. She also knew that the girls would be together and that their dad would be home sleeping. I'm wondering who was at Melanie's house on 3/24 & 3/25 1975?

SNIPPED FOR SPACE BY ME

"I had asked Kate what time she was going to be home," Melanie recalled. "Kate said, 'three.' I said, 'I'll call you then; and Kate said. 'all right.'"

We've discussed the fact that the girls decided to go to the mall at the last minute,we know that this is true due to Mary Lyon's interview.However,Kate's friend,Melanie Ganas,knew that the girls were getting ready to leave for the mall when she called and when they planned to be home because Kate had told her.That means that anyone at Melanie's house could know this too. She also knew that the girls would be together and that their dad would be home sleeping. I'm wondering who was at Melanie's house on 3/24 & 3/25 1975?

She also knew what time they'd be coming home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back