Mother says son was suspended for calling teacher ‘cute’

TrackerSam

Reaction score
GASTONIA, N.C. -- A Gastonia mother says her son was suspended for calling a teacher "cute.”

Chiquita Lockett said her 9-year-old son, Emanyea, spent the last two days at home.

Lockett said the principal of Brookside Elementary called her Wednesday to say the incident was a form of “sexual harassment.”

Emanyea told Eyewitness News a substitute teacher overheard him tell another student a teacher was cute.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29910470/detail.html

The leftist school system is out of control. :crazy:

I suppose he has less flattering adjectives for his teachers now.

Should his name be removed since he's a minor?

Hope this doesn't scar him for life, in terms of the opposite sex.

OMG I just posted in the "testicle kicker's" thread and now this! WTH...I think people are taking this "sexual harassment" stuff entirely too far.

When I was a pre school teacher, I had a student that would always tell me I was beautiful. It warmed my heart. He was so sweet.

Why can't kids compliment their teachers???

This world has gone nuts!

We have similar rules here.

But, if a child is stranded, the teacher is supposed to just leave the child there?
As a human I couldn't do that.

I think rules and laws sometimes go WAY against common sense.

I understand that not all teachers are safe drivers and the parents would naturally want to have control over the transport of their children but I don't think leaving a child stranded without bus money and without a ride home is safe either. I wonder if the parents can be fired over that.

Would the school have been happier if the kid had called his teacher an ugly old bat?

Does a 9 year old know what sexual harrasment is? I feel sorry for children today. It's a shame a compliment can't be given without someone seeing it as negative.

There is so little specific details about this incident that it is impossible to make any kind of judgement. At this point, all I know for SURE is that the media has, once again, overblown and inflamed an 'incident' without giving enough information for people with reasoning abilities to come to any logical conclusion.

I tend to think it is a strategic campaign to "dumb down America" until people can no longer think for themselves. then they will believe ANYTHING they are fed without questioning.

Questions to ask about this story that have NOT been addressed:

What were the 'bad names' this same boy was calling the other children? This was also cited in the specific letter to the parents, but was somehow "overlooked" in the media's treatment of the situation.

How many times has this same child been told to NOT call other children bad names?

What other consequences has the child paid for these same offenses before it reached a point where suspension was the next natural progression?

What was the WHOLE conversation wherein the teacher was called "cute" and in what context did this happen? In essence, has this child been asked not to do this repeatedly, incorrigibly refused to comply, and with a great deal of insolence and disrespect in his tone of voice said in great detail exactly what he (or dad or big brother or gang or Godzilla) would like to "do" to this "cute" teacher?

I once watched a 5 year old whip out his penis and pee on a teacher in the school cafeteria because she told him not to throw the other kids' food again and to step back in the lunch line. He grinned while he peed on her and said " go ahead and call my dad to come get me. You'll be the one in trouble then". ~ ~ And, oh yeah, I can just see the media making this kid out to be a poor mistreated child and the unthinking masses at large being JUST LIKE this kids daddy, who he knew would defend him no matter how out of control he was. I think the media might have said something like "five year old suspended for accidentally spilling food in cafeteria". Har HAR. If these kids are not helped at this age, they are the ones who will invade your house in the night and hack you to death just because they are STILL angry and never got the help they needed.

LET THESE KIDS GET HELP. Number one is recognizing they have a problem and number two is setting appropriate BOUNDARIES. No boundaries now will necessitate cages to contain many of them as adults. We already have too many people in prisons. It is a tragedy of epic proportions and the $38,000 per prisoner PER YEAR could feed, clothe, give medical care, and full ride college educations to every needy child instead.

But none of those things are sexual harassment.

SEXUAL harassment????

Calling other children names?

I'm not saying this child should not get in trouble for calling kids names.
But pinning sexual harassment on a child this young is ridiculous IMO.

The punishment should fit the behavior.

IMO

But none of those things are sexual harassment.

SEXUAL harassment????

Calling other children names?

I'm not saying this child should not get in trouble for calling kids names.
But pinning sexual harassment on a child this young is ridiculous IMO.

The punishment should fit the behavior.

IMO

Well, let's just say that the guy working the next desk over from you says "hey, you are cute. C- U- T- E". You're uncomfortable with that. Your boss discreetly asks him to stop saying that. He not only keeps it up, he starts telling everyone ELSE in your office that you are C U T E. You are getting major creeped out at his lack of sensitivity. He is, again, asked to stop, this time in no uncertain terms. Being oppositional, as in "no ones gonna tell ME what I can and cannot say", he keeps it up. In fact, he also defiantly begins to stalk you when you cross the parking lot to your car every day. You are now MAJOR concerned at his OBVIOUS lack of boundaries But of course, HE says you are just paranoid, over reacting. You know the truth, but gee, come on, he "only" said you are CUTE (well, over and over, inappropriately, and continuing after being asked to stop). What does your boss do now? Tell you to just get over yourself, you should feel "flattered", decide since his employee simply WON'T comply with the request to stop this behavior that the easiest out is to make YOU the bad guy? Embarrassed at the daily inappropriate behavior, the coworker's jokes about it, the distraction from your work, the disrespect undermining your ability to be taken seriously, and outright fear from the bizarre fixation, AND the realization that NOTHING is going to change this man's behavior toward you, you decide to do......what? I'm really curious. Quit?

Home and school is where children learn how to live in this world when mommy and daddy are not there anymore to "run interference" for them. The school environment is a living laboratory for the work environment many of these kids will be working in down the road in not so many years. If this kid is a fifth grader, he could BE your "no appropriate boundaries" office worker in 7 years. He could be the mail room guy, the tech support guy, the copier service technician, telling you how CUTE you are whenever you walk by, and then telling all your coworkers. After all, when he was younger, NO ONE taught him this was INAPPROPRIATE in certain conditions. No one impressed on him that there are BOUNDARIES to be respected when it comes to other people.

I say if he wants to call the neighborhood girls cute, it's his parents and the girls' parents business. If it's ok with you if he comes to your house uninvited, calls your daughter cute, tells your daughter's friends she is cute, and your daughter is distressed by that, but you feel you shouldnt ask him to stop, then I am fine with it. But the schools need to help children learn what is expected of them in the real world, and I highly suspect this was NOT a one time, first time event for this boy. The school's action was not meant to be harsh, it was meant to help him function successfully in life.

A 9 year old child???

There was nothing sexual or harassing about what he said.

You can teach a child without making up names of non-existent offenses for the aged child you are dealing with.

Punish him for not listening. Punish him for whatever is right. But this was not sexual harassment.

The official statement from the school is that the child was suspended ( for less than half the allowable number of days set forth in the policy) for " inappropriate behavior AFTER making inappropriate remarks"

There were two components to this story: remarks and BEHAVIOR

The school will probably not comment more specifically because they are in the business of protecting kids, sometimes even from the misguided BEHAVIORS of their own parents.

Why, do you suppose, this mother called in a MEDIA CIRCUS and did she think that was in the best interests of her kid's long term future and success? I rather think there was a good dose of "oppositional defiance" in the mom as well as the child. Apple meet tree. Give them both another ten years and take another look.

The official statement from the school is that the child was suspended ( for less than half the allowable number of days set forth in the policy) for " inappropriate behavior AFTER making inappropriate remarks"

There were two components to this story: remarks and BEHAVIOR

The school will probably not comment more specifically because they are in the business of protecting kids, sometimes even from the misguided BEHAVIORS of their own parents.

Why, do you suppose, this mother called in a MEDIA CIRCUS and did she think that was in the best interests of her kid's long term future and success? I rather think there was a good dose of "oppositional defiance" in the mom as well as the child. Apple meet tree. Give them both another ten years and take another look.

Wow. Why judge a 9 year old and pretend to know he will not be doing well in 10 years?

That's really stretching IMO.

A 9 year old child???

There was nothing sexual or harassing about what he said.

You can teach a child without making up names of non-existent offenses for the aged child you are dealing with.

Punish him for not listening. Punish him for whatever is right. But this was not sexual harassment.

I'm sorry, I did not realize you were there when this incident happened. Only a person physically present could KNOW what the specifics were, the tone of voice, the inflections, any additional innuendos or actual threats made. We the public know next to nothing about the incident except that somewhere in it the mother of the child says he used the word cute. The school says inappropriate remarks and inappropriate behavior. They have not said what happened. Since the mother was not there when it happened, she is not a reliable witness either. Since she chooses to call media in over a 2 day suspension rather than talk to the school counselors, administration, etcetera, I cannot say she is capable of making the best choices on behalf of her child.

Inappropriate remarks. Inappropriate behavior. How do we KNOW the nature of it was NOT sexual harrassment?

And if you do not think 9 year olds are capable of such, you should visit the juvenile institutions I spent time in working with Youth Bridge. Not only were there outright RAPISTS, we even had a 10 year old who pulled a 4 year old from an apartment complex playground, raped her in the woods nearby, and MURDERED her. Tell HER parents that the kid who "harassed" her was just being "sweet".

If the school is trying to teach kids APPROPRIATE behavior, WHY would we want to stop them????

I'm sorry, I did not realize you were there when this incident happened. Only a person physically present could KNOW what the specifics were, the tone of voice, the inflections, any additional innuendos or actual threats made. We the public know next to nothing about the incident except that somewhere in it the mother of the child says he used the word cute. The school says inappropriate remarks and inappropriate behavior. They have not said what happened. Since the mother was not there when it happened, she is not a reliable witness either. Since she chooses to call media in over a 2 day suspension rather than talk to the school counselors, administration, etcetera, I cannot say she is capable of making the best choices on behalf of her child.

Inappropriate remarks. Inappropriate behavior. How do we KNOW the nature of it was NOT sexual harrassment?

And if you do not think 9 year olds are capable of such, you should visit the juvenile institutions I spent time in working with Youth Bridge. Not only were there outright RAPISTS, we even had a 10 year old who pulled a 4 year old from an apartment complex playground, raped her in the woods nearby, and MURDERED her. Tell HER parents that the kid who "harassed" her was just being "sweet".

If the school is trying to teach kids APPROPRIATE behavior, WHY would we want to stop them????

Just as I was not there, I'm assuming you were not either right?

But assumptions were made in your post about the mother that you could not know unless you know her personally.

Since we DON'T know all the details, it seems my outlook on the situation is just as credible as anybody else's.

And, just because there are SOME nine year old rapists, does not mean this child acted in that way. And raping and killing a child is not what happened here so IMO it's not relevant. Nobody would ever say that child was just being sweet. That's absurd!

You should not just assume the worst about the mother and the child.

The comment about the apple not falling from the tree is a good example. This apple may be a typical apple falling from a typical tree. Good from good?
Just because she contacted the media does not make her a bad tree or her son a bad apple.

She obviously feels her son was treated wrongly and accused for something he did not do.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back