CA - Teen jumps to death off cliff despite mom's pleas

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Man, 18, jumps to his death from Palos Verdes Estates cliff (Torrance Daily Breeze)
An 18-year-old man spent hours Thursday talking to a counselor and several teens before he jumped 250 feet to his death from a Palos Verdes Estates cliff - in front of both his mother and sister.

John Albrigo drove his black Honda SUV to the 1700 block of Paseo del Mar on Thursday morning from his family's West Hills home, Palos Verdes Estates police Sgt. Steve Barber said.

He jumped just as police arrived at the scene before noon. Officials said Albrigo's mother and sister had driven to the bluffs to try to stop him, and witnessed his plunge off the cliff.
---
The mother, Rosemarie Albrigo, and sister sat in a car nearby, crying, as police interviewed them and other witnesses after the incident.
---
much more at Daily Breeze link above

Wow so incredibly sad. His mom watched the whole thing. They'd have to put me a psych ward for sure. :cry:

Wow. Suicide usually pisses me off but my heart goes out to all involved. Lives ruined forever and an apparent miserable one ends. All so sad.

I'd have had to go with him. I would have held him so tight that nothing could get me off of him and if he was going to go that way, he'd have to take me with him.

This is so sad. It's one more example of how serious depression is and that it can be a fatal disease.

I'd have had to go with him. I would have held him so tight that nothing could get me off of him and if he was going to go that way, he'd have to take me with him.

I'm sure the mother will have to live with that guilt for the rest of her life.

I have a friend who lives in Palos Verdes (I've never been there before) and she said there is a fence around that cliff, that someone jumps about once a month. I don't know how many actually die though.

Oh man, I don't know why I keep coming to this thread.
At 18, you just feel so much and you have no idea how much better it really can get.
My heart is breaking for his family.

In front of her daughter? It's bad enough he had to do this in front of his mom and sister. I couldn't and wouldn't be able to subject my other children to witnessing such an event I was unable to prevent by attaching myself to prevent what appears to be an event this young man was determined to make.

I'm always so saddened when people choose suicide and are unable to see there are better times ahead.

I hope this young man is at peace and his mother and sister are able to work through what they witnessed. I couldn't imagine making that choice in front of family, but then again, I can't imagine making that choice ever. No matter how depressed or how bleak things appear.

In front of her daughter? It's bad enough he had to do this in front of his mom and sister. I couldn't and wouldn't be able to subject my other children to witnessing such an event I was unable to prevent by attaching myself to prevent what appears to be an event this young man was determined to make.

I'm always so saddened when people choose suicide and are unable to see there are better times ahead.

I hope this young man is at peace and his mother and sister are able to work through what they witnessed. I couldn't imagine making that choice in front of family, but then again, I can't imagine making that choice ever. No matter how depressed or how bleak things appear.

You know, I have a 24 year old daughter and a 19 year old son in addition to "Evan". As much as it would pain everyone involved, I would still hold my son so tightly he couldn't go and if he was determined, he'd HAVE to take me with him. I don't think I could try hard enough to stop it, the thought of how it would affect the other kids probably wouldn't enter my mind while I was trying at all costs to save him.
I've dealt with depression my entire life, I know what it's like to NEED someone to save you, so maybe my perspective is a little different.

When I was younger I used to get angry when a person would kill themselves. I would think "Why couldn't they just wait another day? Why couldn't they get help?" They say that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
As I grew older and began to suffer from chronic depression myself I got a different perspective. I understand that depression isn't a temporary problem but for some a life long struggle, like an incurable disease for some. For some they can be helped and treated and not life with the darkness every day. But for some, it never really gets much better for very long. I feel bad for their families and the people who love them but I understand wanting to pain to be over and I pray that God has mercy and relieves their pain forever. For some there really isn't any other answer. Not to sound morbid. I have attempted suicide in the past and I am glad I wasn't successful, mainly because I had my 2 daughter's after that and if I had succeeded they wouldn't be here and I promised myself when they were born that I would never attempt that again, that I would always be there for them and not leave them with that legacy. My youngest has no one else besides me and her siblings. I never would inflict that kind of pain on anyone. I would rather suffer myself.

As someone who has struggled with severe clinical depression since I was a teen I know this kid must have been in some serious pain. I know some say suicide is a very selfish act and I can understand that. But there were times when I just felt that the price of my existence is just too high.... I have been on anti-depressants for about 11 years now and had one suicide attempt during my marriage where I was hospitalized. If I were to ever go completely off my meds I would def take my own life. I have come to a point now where I realize that I can NEVER EVER go off my meds because I love my girls too much. My 13 yr old daughter has seen me at some of my lowest points the most recent one being a year ago when I took ambien on an empty stomach and it caused a psychosis. My daughter just happened to walk into my bedroom at 11 pm on a school night to find me listening to music and cutting myself out of a bunch of old photos she freaked when I told her it was because "I don't exist." I also said a bunch of other disturbing things and she called my parents who promptly came and took me to the ER...

I vowed to never take Ambien again and let my daughter flush them down the toilet. I never want her to see me like that again.

Mental health issues are a huge problem in this country. I am not sure what the solution is but I still think there is a stigma attached to it.

You know, I have a 24 year old daughter and a 19 year old son in addition to "Evan". As much as it would pain everyone involved, I would still hold my son so tightly he couldn't go and if he was determined, he'd HAVE to take me with him. I don't think I could try hard enough to stop it, the thought of how it would affect the other kids probably wouldn't enter my mind while I was trying at all costs to save him.
I've dealt with depression my entire life, I know what it's like to NEED someone to save you, so maybe my perspective is a little different.

BBM
Most likely his Mom didn't have a choice to hold onto him because he probably wouldn't let her anywhere close to him. She's trying to save his life and he's telling her that if she comes after him he will jump right now, before she gets there.
In fact, he probably jumped when he did because LE was arriving and he was determined not to let anyone stop him. Poor Mom and sister, they will relive that scene every time they close their eyes for a long long time. So sad.

It sounds as if he was experiencing some delusions in addition to depression. I wonder if he was off of some meds, or if he was experiencing a manic episode. At least he will not suffer any more. I can't imagine his family's pain but hopefully they will be able one day to take solace in that he is no longer being tormented by his own mind.

I too have suffered from depression. I've wished and prayed at times God would take me, but I've never ever considered hurting myself or anyone else. In fact when I felt I needed someone to save me, I saw my family fall apart not knowing how to help and had to pull myself together just enough to get myself some help from someone not so emotionally close to the situation. It was so bad in fact, that not only did I have to fight off the desire to sleep all the time, the muscles in my entire body felt like pins and needles. Both the mental/emotional and PHYSICAL effects were horrific and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Nothing has ever been so bleak to me that I could choose to cause my family the life long pain of taking my own life. Not while those family members are a minor, not while an adult old enough to have great grandchildren. I could never ever take my life knowing the life long pain they would suffer. I'd rather endure lifelong suffering myself than to put that kind of pain on anyone else. But that's just me.

This story has haunted me all day for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that yet another a teenage boy committed suicide.

I would suspect that at his age, he might have been entering years of torment as a schizophrenic; however, I would hope that a treatment plan could have saved him.

My personal exception to leaving others be goes straight to his tender age.

I can imagine his Mother will forever regret arguing with him at such a critical time, but who am I to say? I wasn't there under her pressure, nor do I know how she had been able to reach him successfully in the past.

I do have to wonder about the involvement of the counselor and her young female patients. Shouldn't she have called for help?

One would wish for a colossal butterfly net at such times...

I think teen depression and suicide is a huge problem. I think too often it goes undetected as teens are moody sometimes anyway. IMO anti-dep are way over prescribed in this country. But some genuinely need them for the rest of their lives. I wish there could be some sort of awareness program taught in the public schools. I know here in GA there are lots of resources for those suffering from short or long term depression or other mental illness. I have had no insurance coverage for the last few years but get my meds for free from the Pharm co.

Someone mentioned upthread that during their depression they could never imagine hurting their loved ones by suicide. But the thing about it is that if you suffer from severe depression you are not thinking clearly. You see no end to your suffering and cannot be logical. It becomes almost too much to bear... Thankfully, I have family and friends who are aware of the signs of my depression i.e., sleeping too much, withdrawal from the world, flat affect in my voice, etc. Since my oldest daughter has gotten a little older I have been very open with her about my struggles and though I never want her to feel responsible for me, she knows when to be concerned and call grandparents or even 911.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back