OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, if you're having trouble registering, let me know, and I can contact a Mod to speed it up. :)

Here is the last article I have for today. Also from the Columbus Dispatch and also published on Oct. 31st, 1980. Titled "Death Threats Terrorizing Neighborhood"

Key points:

• The notes delivered in batches to multiple families are identical to one another.
  • The notes were neatly penciled on pieces of cut envelope.
  • Notes were hand delivered, attached to automobiles and porches with leather belts.

There was a quote that struck me as pretty interesting as it's quite different from earlier articles where the family was often quoted as being very supportive of the work of LE.

"The worst part of the ordeal, the families said, is what they call the deputies' indifference. 'They weren't interested in Bill from the beginning...They brushed it (the killing) off at first as a suicide' Comeans said. 'They tell us to call whenever we get a letter but then when they get here they just throw them in the trunk of their car and drive away.'"

I will put in my order for the next 5 articles tomorrow morning.

Death Threats Terrorizing Neighborhood

That worked! Thank you!

Here is the second article. Titled "Coroner Says New Rome Boy Murdered" published April 23rd, 1980.

Key points:

• Police initially suspected suicide but BC's parents disagreed so the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Lab performed a "personality analysis." This is, essentially, a series of interviews with relatives, friends and school officials to determine "personality traits and habits" of a victim. A similar analysis was done my NYCPD.
  • Dad was working on the car in the garage. BC brought him coffee twice then wandered into the yard, he never returned. He was gone nearly 20 minutes before it was realized. His father said he would not have left the yard without telling someone.
  • First attack (this info is different from what we had previously): Took place behind Prairie-Lincoln Elementary School at 4900 Amesbury Way at 8:30pm while he was on his paper route. He was on his bike and attacked from behind.
  • Second attack: BC was walking near Maple and Beacon Hill Rd. when two men jumped from a car and attacked him (time of day not mentioned.)
  • The notes he received were found in his locker. They were typed and cut from pieces of magazines. His best friend and girl friend also received notes.

Okay, bringing up the rear here, trying to process all of this slowly.

BBM1: This is only a short distance from the high school -- about a half block up, going north on Galloway.

BBM2: Do you think it's telling that they keep saying "two men" versus "two kids" or "two students"?

BBM3: Bingo: This means it was someone at school, or someone connected to someone at school. Could it be a student? Yes, but it could also be a custodian (often schools hire grads who don't go off to school), or an older sibling/relative/friend of someone in school who didn't like BC.

BBM4: Notes didn't go to random "others" but to others connected to BC. Significant, IMO.

Even the coroner called it “a very bizarre case”! If there were no marks on BC, or signs of struggle, what was the knife found at the scene used for? I wonder if it might have been what BC's brother used to cut off the scarf?

Do you think there's anything to be made of the "gayly colored winter scarf"? Any chance this was a hate crime because some thugs didn't think Bill was masculine enough? Perhaps in combination with being an "honor student"?

My responses in red :)

BBM1: This is only a short distance from the high school -- about a half block up, going north on Galloway.

I thought it was probably close, I will put it on the map later tonight.

BBM2: Do you think it's telling that they keep saying "two men" versus "two kids" or "two students"?

I wondered the same thing. I'm wondering what the actual wording was. His dad said he thought it was bullies (which I wouldn't think would be adults.) I wonder if Bill actually said "men"?

BBM3: Bingo: This means it was someone at school, or someone connected to someone at school. Could it be a student? Yes, but it could also be a custodian (often schools hire grads who don't go off to school), or an older sibling/relative/friend of someone in school who didn't like BC.

Yes, someone with access who wouldn't draw any attention to themselves. Someone who "belonged" there.

BBM4: Notes didn't go to random "others" but to others connected to BC. Significant, IMO.

I think so, too.

Even the coroner called it “a very bizarre case”! If there were no marks on BC, or signs of struggle, what was the knife found at the scene used for? I wonder if it might have been what BC's brother used to cut off the scarf?

It seems like it was stated somewhere that the knife used to cut the scarf was his brother's pocket knife. No clue where I read that.

Do you think there's anything to be made of the "gayly colored winter scarf"? Any chance this was a hate crime because some thugs didn't think Bill was masculine enough?

Anything is possible!

Here is the third article. This one was actually from the Columbus Citizen, not the Dispatch. Also dated April 23rd, 1980 and titled "'Bizarre' strangling of boy ruled a homicide.

Key points:

• This article says his body was found around 9:45pm (other articles stated it was 9:00pm)
  • BC's parents posted signs in their neighborhood offering a $3000 reward for info, no leads as of the writing of the article.
  • Second attack - additional info: BC was out collecting money for his paper route and didn't return home until 1:00am. "He had rope burns on his neck and told his parents two young men in an aqua-colored car stopped him, tied a rope around his neck and threw him under some bushes, where he lost consciousness."
  • At least one note was found at Westland HS after BC's death. It said "You're next" and was signed with a red "S". This is according to BC's parents, deputies would not confirm such a note was found.

BBM: I wonder who this was written to? Also, I am curious about the content of the other notes. Re the red S, it could reflect a killer's ID or just some superhero fantasy. Please tell me LE still has the notes ....

Another article from the Columbus Dispatch titled "Threat Letters Believed Written By Same Person" published Oct. 31st, 1980.

Key points:

• Detective believed letters were written by the same BC's murderer. Letters were received by families who also lived on Maple Dr.
  • Handwriting analysis was done and determined all were written by same person.
  • Some neighborhood children were specifically named in the letters.
  • 19 letters were received by 8 families between July 21st and "last Tuesday"
  • Delivered in groups (multiple houses at once) and delivered personally (did not use US Mail)

Two things jump out at me here. One, in the earlier article is said the notes were typed and put together from pieces cut out of magazines. These were handwritten so I'm not convinced that all of the notes came from the same person.

Second, if these notes actually came from BC's killer, it must have been someone who knew him or at least was very familiar with the neighborhood in order to name specific children in the notes.

BBM1: I'm seeing "All but four deliveries were mailed ..."

Also, re content: "Martin said the messages were 'very brief in three or four words or in poorly constructed sentences.' "

BBM2: Good point.

Here is the last article I have for today. Also from the Columbus Dispatch and also published on Oct. 31st, 1980. Titled "Death Threats Terrorizing Neighborhood"

Key points:

• The notes delivered in batches to multiple families are identical to one another.
  • The notes were neatly penciled on pieces of cut envelope.
  • Notes were hand delivered, attached to automobiles and porches with leather belts.

There was a quote that struck me as pretty interesting as it's quite different from earlier articles where the family was often quoted as being very supportive of the work of LE.

"The worst part of the ordeal, the families said, is what they call the deputies' indifference. 'They weren't interested in Bill from the beginning...They brushed it (the killing) off at first as a suicide' Comeans said. 'They tell us to call whenever we get a letter but then when they get here they just throw them in the trunk of their car and drive away.'"

I will put in my order for the next 5 articles tomorrow morning.

BBM1: The reporting on the notes, versus LE's comments on the notes -- all over the place. Hard to follow. One says "crudely printed," another "neatly penciled." Very subjective.

BBM2: Yes, noticed that too ...

BBM3: You rule :) How many are there? If you want, PM me the info and I can email for 5.

My responses in red :)
Originally Posted by GoingByMyGut

I thought it was probably close, I will put it on the map later tonight.

I wondered the same thing. I'm wondering what the actual wording was. His dad said he thought it was bullies (which I wouldn't think would be adults.) I wonder if Bill actually said "men"?

Yes, someone with access who wouldn't draw any attention to themselves. Someone who "belonged" there.

I think so, too.

It seems like it was stated somewhere that the knife used to cut the scarf was his brother's pocket knife. No clue where I read that.

Do you think there's anything to be made of the "gayly colored winter scarf"? Any chance this was a hate crime because some thugs didn't think Bill was masculine enough?

Anything is possible!

BBM: Men could just be out-of-school 18- to 20-year-olds (draft registration age and up), as Bill's just 14. Though could also be older. Good Q.

I went back to look through the articles about the murder published by the Columbus Dispatch and the headline from the article from Dec. 5th, 1980 is "Neighbor of slain youth arrested for penning series of death notes." A second article from the same date is titled "New Rome woman admits threat to neighbors.

I'm going to assume that means they think the letters were a hoax. I'm going to call the number listed and see if I can get my hands on some of those articles.

http://www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlc...ctid=270439&original=Comeans, William&stype=O

BBMs: Remember this earlier post? I'm looking forward to getting some clarity from these articles. I am sensing a difference between the notes left at school and the notes left with neighbors (all or most after BC's death, I think). If there's a hoax, I am betting it involves the letters, not the notes at school. People do things for all kinds of crazy reasons -- I can't even guess this one -- but maybe the woman/neighbor learned about the notes left at school and thought hers would be masked by that mess. OMG, could she be a widow using the belts in her dead husband's wardrobe?!?! No, no, too crazy to be true. Let's see what we learn.

This case is so bizarre and intriguing and mysterious. I have lots of twists and turns going on in my head when I try and make sense of it. But I do tend to agree that he might have had an idea who was attacking him or why, but did not want to say anything. Perhaps out of fear and maybe he hoped it would just all go away.

I think the crazy neighbor lady wrote some of the letters as a hoax. Maybe she was trying to cover for the real attackers though. IDK

Family tweeted a news article today I don't think we've seen: "Fear Strikes Quiet Street" in the Reading Eagle in Reading, PA, dated Nov. 1, 1980. However, it appears to be a rewrite based on a UPI feed. We've seen something close to it. The update is really only that no incidents followed on Halloween.

I saw a bit of coverage on the local news about this, but had no idea how complicated this case was until I read the thread. The way 10tv presented it, it seemed simple - a cold case about a boy killed near railroad tracks. They didn't mention one iota more. Now I'm shocked, with what I'm reading. They really blew it! I wish they had presented more information. It really could help the case.

Ooo -- just figured out how to use Google to search archives. Here's some more article that are not repeats of the ones PDXmama shared yesterday, although the content is similar to what we've seen, largely as a result of revisions by papers across the nation to AP/UPI articles. I will note below the links what strikes me as new to what's already been posted on the thread.

Death Threats Raise Spector of Fear in Ohio Town, AP, The Freelance Star in Fredericksburg, VA (?!), Nov. 1, 1980
* The eight families receiving the letters 6 mos. after BC died -- July 1980 -- all lived w/in 200 yards of each other.

Neighborhood in Fear: Will the Killer Strike Again? Spoke Daily Chronicle in Washington state, Nov. 1, 1980
* Country detective Steve Martin says the reason police are puzzled is that the case lacks a strong motive.

Eight Ohio Families Live in Fear of Killer, The Lewiston Journal in Maine, Nov 1, 1980
* Nothing new IMO

A Day of Terror on Maple Drive, The Hour in Norwalk CT, Nov 1, 1980
* After a statement that the sherriff's office says they are taking the case seriously, this sentence follows: "Another officer called the threats a 'hoax," but said 'some of the people in the area think it is serious.' "

BBM1: I'm seeing "All but four deliveries were mailed ..."

Also, re content: "Martin said the messages were 'very brief in three or four words or in poorly constructed sentences.' "

BBM2: Good point.

BBM - Thank you! I missed that!

BBM1: The reporting on the notes, versus LE's comments on the notes -- all over the place. Hard to follow. One says "crudely printed," another "neatly penciled." Very subjective.

BBM2: Yes, noticed that too ...

BBM3: You rule :) How many are there? If you want, PM me the info and I can email for 5.

Home with a sick kid all day so I'm just now catching up. That would be great if you could order the last few. I'll PM you the info.

BBMs: Remember this earlier post? I'm looking forward to getting some clarity from these articles. I am sensing a difference between the notes left at school and the notes left with neighbors (all or most after BC's death, I think). If there's a hoax, I am betting it involves the letters, not the notes at school. People do things for all kinds of crazy reasons -- I can't even guess this one -- but maybe the woman/neighbor learned about the notes left at school and thought hers would be masked by that mess. OMG, could she be a widow using the belts in her dead husband's wardrobe?!?! No, no, too crazy to be true. Let's see what we learn.

I had the same thought about the notes. I think we will find that the ones sent to neighbors were a copycat.

I'm not sure if this is allowed. I will delete if necessary but I was looking up BC on Ancestry.com and found the info from his death certificate. I'm not able to post it or link to it unless I order a copy but it says that there was "No Autopsy Performed" isn't that very unusual for there not to be an autopsy in this type of a situation?

Also, here is a link to BC's Findagrave. I believe the text is from his obituary.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Sst=37&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=98376117&df=all&

From the Franklin County Coroner's website (this is the count BC lived/ died in):

Is every person who dies in Franklin County taken to the Coroner's Office?
No. Ohio law requires the County Coroner to investigate the circumstances and determine the cause and manner of death of all deaths that are:
-The result of violence or other trauma.
-Suspicious and unusual in nature or foul play is suspected.
-Sudden and unexpected, when a person is in apparent good health.
-Not under the care of a physician.
-Unlawful or due to criminal neglect.

Will an autopsy be performed on every decedent on which the Coroner's Office has taken jurisdiction?

Autopsies are routinely performed to determine the cause and manner of death on all cases listed above. Autopsies are not routinely performed in cases where the death appears to be from natural causes, there is a significant amount of medical history or if there is no evidence of foul play.

Another bizarre twist it seems. I would say BC's death falls into all five of those categories. Why no autopsy?

I'm not sure if this is allowed. I will delete if necessary but I was looking up BC on Ancestry.com and found the info from his death certificate. I'm not able to post it or link to it unless I order a copy but it says that there was "No Autopsy Performed" isn't that very unusual for there not to be an autopsy in this type of a situation?

Also, here is a link to BC's Findagrave. I believe the text is from his obituary.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Sst=37&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=98376117&df=all&

Sorry about your sick child. Hope s/he feels better soon (and that you don't get whatever it is).

So, re linking to Ancestry, that can pose an access problem for people who aren't members. Is there more info on the Death Certificate than "No Autopsy Performed"? This is public info, so I don't think it would be problematic to post it, but I am guessing.

BBM: I am not sure. We are talking about practices from 34 years ago. What is unusual today may not have been unusual then. Also, I don't know how many of today's tools the coroner would have had access to at that time. I remember, in a video I shared, a Franklin County detective said it was the coroner's report that definitively identified the case as a homicide, so some level of examination took place. Perhaps they didn't go further because they saw no signs on the body to warrant it? The COD/MOD were clear from external signs?

It's a good question. Due to the lack of struggle and they way the killers seemed to spirit BC away to assault him, I found myself wondering at one point if they did a tox screen. I think it was the second attack that left Bill unconscious for 5.5 hours. Was that just from being deprived of oxygen for a few minutes? Or was something else in the mix? I'm not a doctor, but that seems like a long time to me.

Here is what I could copy from Ancestry:

Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-2007 about William J Comeans
Name: William J Comeans
Birth Date: 1966
Birth State: Ohio
Birth Country: United States
Race: White
Residence County: Franklin
Residence State: Ohio
Residence Country: United States
Death Date: 7 Jan 1980
Hospital of Death: Doctors Hospital-West