CANADA Canada - Patricia Salamandyk, 16, Spruce Grove, Edmonton AB, June 1972

Can't believe how much she looks like CarlK's drawing of BG. This may or may not mean that she looks like actual BG but I think Carl does a darn good job, so I'm keeping my hopes up. I came across her looking at another case and the minute I saw her photo I said "that's BG." It was unreal. I found an article where her mom has pictures of her spread out on a table and I'd really like to look closer at the other clearly visible pic of her in this shot if someone better at that than I am can figure out how to blow it up and post it here.

Of course, I came here thinking I'd blow all your minds with this potential match and you were waaay ahead of me, per usual :) :)

I believe that was her sister in the interview. One of the things I don't understand is why her family isn't taking advantage of social media and creating a FB page or a blog for her where they can post all those pictures. A profile picture of Patricia would cinch this case, BG's nose is so distinctive.
I really think it's her. If you blow up the pm picture of BG and blow up the portrait of Patricia and put them side by side, you can match up nearly every single mole but one.
The trick is, you have to stare at Patricia's portrait for a bit because it's retouched. But, once you do, it's like an optical illusion, the markings and moles start popping out. Like, on the upper left hand corner of BG's mouth, there are teeny tiny freckles or moles. Patricia has them, too.
I'm having two problems trying to get someone to notice this case.
1. is that the folks handling BG's case are not responsive and
2. Canada will not do a DNA comparison for UP/MP unless they have a potential match. They don't do like we do and run an MP's case through a system against all UP cases. They do on an as needed basis only.
I would bet my house that BG is Patricia, even though there are 8 or so years between Patricia's disappearance and BG's discovery. I don't buy into the theory that someone meets their demise the moment they disappear. Statistically, that may be true, but that also means that some don't fit the pattern.For all we know, she met a Sugar Daddy in Edmonton that day and went on an amazing adventure until something changed. We may never know what happened, but I'm fairly certain that shouldn't negate the possibility that Patricia is BG.

I would like to call Det. Hickey in regards to this case and ask if they've even considered Patricia, however, I don't know what to say.
Any suggestions? I'm better at email than phone calls, and I sent one to adminassist@miamicountyso.com back in May because I didn't have an email for the detective, but never even received a confirmation. Thanks!

I know this is a case CarlK has worked very hard on. And he may have some more 'street cred' with people in some parts of Law Enforcement than we do. If he hasn't already, maybe we can see if he will make a few calls?

If not, and Phil Tornsey finally solves the Amy Mihaljevic case, maybe we can convince him to take this one on next. He'd have some creds for sure. If you can catch Whitey Bulger, you can do anything.

I know this is a case CarlK has worked very hard on. And he may have some more 'street cred' with people in some parts of Law Enforcement than we do. If he hasn't already, maybe we can see if he will make a few calls?

I hear you about the "street cred".

I'll be surprised if Carl has time to make calls.

I'll be surprised if Carl has time to make calls.

I was able to talk to Carl. He is aware that she's been submitted but doesn't know anything further. I didn't want to step on his toes if he was already in communication with someone over this case. Like a lot of us, CarlK has spent a lot of time looking specifically for a match to BG.

Looking at the time frame of the submissions here, it's possible that she is being looked at and it's just taking a while. Anyone remember how long Grateful Doe took? Or know how long Cali (Caledonia) took? I'd imagine international jurisdictions could add to that time frame.

BG has been compared to over 200 missing persons. Somebody is definitely committed to finding out who she is.

I say let's just remain vigilant. I'm in Ohio and if at some point in time it seems that this comparison has fallen through the cracks, I'm more than happy to rattle a few cages.

I was able to talk to Carl. He is aware that she's been submitted but doesn't know anything further. I didn't want to step on his toes if he was already in communication with someone over this case. Like a lot of us, CarlK has spent a lot of time looking specifically for a match to BG.

Looking at the time frame of the submissions here, it's possible that she is being looked at and it's just taking a while. Anyone remember how long Grateful Doe took? Or know how long Cali (Caledonia) took? I'd imagine international jurisdictions could add to that time frame.

BG has been compared to over 200 missing persons. Somebody is definitely committed to finding out who she is.

I say let's just remain vigilant. I'm in Ohio and if at some point in time it seems that this comparison has fallen through the cracks, I'm more than happy to rattle a few cages.

Cali identified as Tammy Jo Alexander - sisters sample got to UNT the 1st few days of October (2014), it was announced January 26, 2015 that she was a match.
Grateful Dead Fan identified as Jason Callahan, his mom's sample was taken around February 2015, it was done processing June 10th the day of Tammy Jo's memorial service. A few months went by, UNT got 5 more family samples the end of October, it was called a match December 9, 2015

According to one news article they were in the process of collecting Patricia's DNA as of July 2015. I'm not sure how long it takes Canada to get the DNA results they use for missing person and unidentified remains. Canada does not handle their missing persons cases the same way we do.
The best time frame to judge how long it would take to rule out or matchPatricia would be the recent case of Reet Jurvetson if someone knows. She was from Canada.

Now, investigators are re-interviewing witnesses, collecting DNA and have released a sketch of what Salamandyk, who would now be 60, could look like today.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ch-help-solve-43-year-old-cold-case-1.3149569

FINALLY!

Doe Network uploaded a profile in July for Patricia and guess what? It has her weight and height! It also states DNA not available but over a year ago, I read that the family had given samples so I would think a profile has been built by now, but who knows with Canada?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3603dfab.html

Name: Patricia Janice Salamandyk
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: June 1, 1972
Location Last Seen: Spruce Grove, Parkland County, Alberta, Canada

[h=2]Physical Description[/h]Date of Birth: circa 1955
Race: White
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 121 lbs.
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She has a jagged scar on her left knee.
[h=2]Identifiers[/h]Dentals: Unavailable
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Unavailable
[h=2]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: Belt, blue jeans, brown sweater.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
[h=2]Circumstances of Disappearance[/h]In 1972 Patricia Salamandyk got off the school bus with her sister. As they went to the school gate, Miss Salamandyk told her sister she was not going to school that day. She was not seen again.
[h=2]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]
Agency Name: Stony Plain Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 780-960-6500
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: Reference Case#: 201383683
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: N/A
[h=2]Information Source(s)[/h]
National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains (NCMPUR)
[h=2]Admin Notes[/h]Added: 7/29/2016; Last Updated: 7/29/2016

Yahoo, finally -- thanks Alleykins for keeping track and finding this!

I almost missed it because Google eliminated it from the search results, stating it was a duplicate of other searches, or something like that. I clicked on "show anyway" and saw that she was added to Doe Network on 07/28/2016. I still didn't think much of it until I started scrolling through her page and realized there was a ton of information we didn't know before. It's the same picture, but I'm not complaining.

Hi there! You're really on top of this case! I am entirely convinced BG is Patricia too. If you look closely, you can see the same matching scar on her lower lip in both photos. I zoomed way in in Illustrator to confirm.

Have you heard any word from any one about this? I google it every few weeks to no avail.

Hi there! You're really on top of this case! I am entirely convinced BG is Patricia too. If you look closely, you can see the same matching scar on her lower lip in both photos. I zoomed way in in Illustrator to confirm.
Have you heard any word from any one about this? I google it every few weeks to no avail.
I haven't heard anything or seen any updates. I've lost track of all the agencies I've notified. Others have, too, I believe. Short of calling the RCMP, which would be an expensive international call for me, I'm not sure what else can be done. Canada handles their missing person cases a little differently than we do and I'm not sure what kind of red tape investigators would have to go through to compare two cases internationally. I'm not even sure if Patricia has a DNA profile anywhere. In one of the articles from July 2015, her sister mentions their family offered up their DNA, but she doesn't state that they actually took a sample, only that they offered. Last I knew, Canada would only take DNA if they had remains they suspected to be a missing person. They are changing how they handle these cases, though.
I'm fairly certain it's her as well. I think one of the stumbling blocks folks have is the 9 year time difference between her date of disappearance and BG's discovery. That doesn't concern me so much; I'm not one who believes everyone who goes missing instantly meets their demise upon vanishing, but it's a hard sell for some. The NamUs rep said she would pass it onto the investigators in BG's case, but again, Patricia being a possible match would have to pass their "smell" test to even be considered or looked at.
I believe Patricia could have very easily crossed the border back then and spent those years here, traveling, in whatever capacity.
It's possible there is something going on behind the scenes and we'd never know, LOL

What about human or drug trafficking?

What always struck me about BG was how she seemed to appear out of thin air.. her face and looks were so clear and easily recognizable, but no one, save a few strangers who had seen her at a bar a few days before, seemed to know her. To me, a logical explanation to this is that was a foreigner, living in the US illegally. Based on what her sister said, I don't think she had plans to run away from home. Assuming she was kidnapped, if she was working in human or drug trafficking, and was an illegal alien, she wouldn't be 'on the books', working a regular job or going to school, around regular people who would be looking for her. If she was involved in a form of trafficking, the people who she did know most likely wouldn't be coming forward.

The isotope on BG's poncho shows she travelled a lot between a few locations- this is common with trafficking victims. Plus, if she was kidnapped for this trade, she wouldn't have been killed right away... I remember hearing that child sex trafficking victims are often killed at 25 (if BG is Patricia, she would've been 26). Or, after years of abuse, they partake in the work themselves, as they have known no other life and don't feel like they are capable of functioning in normal society.

I know there was reports BG was very clean and well groomed so this might contradict the trafficking theory, but she could've trapped in an abusive relationship. She could've run away, gotten the chance to clean herself up, and been caught. 11 years is a long time, and I'm sure the story isn't simple.

Finally, physically, to me, they're almost identical. I was so struck by the similarity in their faces I tried super imposing their images on top of each other here (PM pictures) (https://imgur.com/9EbSM6e) and here (https://imgur.com/5zuhFw9). Her features lines up almost perfectly (save the angle they were taken in). You can even see how she plucked her eyebrows in later years. Plus, Patricia's height was released as 5'7'' online, BG's was listed as 5'6''.

I don't know what else there can be done, either. I'm sure the family is aware of BG's existence (I've seen people comment about BG on her family's Facebook post... not good taste IMO but I guess given that we can assume they know). Perhaps they decided not to peruse it any more? I don't know. It's terribly sad, I just wish the poor girl could be buried at her home, wherever that may be.

Okay, your photo evidence is beyond compelling - I really hope Canada is seriously taking a look at PS being BG. I'm ALWAYS skeptical, but here it really does like this is simply overwhelming. I wonder if BG was simply traveling with some guy she met who had money, maybe a Trust Fund, inheritance, etc - driving around the country? I've known many people who have done that, and some of my friends still do. They typically have enough money to take good care of themselves as well - which would explain BG's teeth, hygiene, and her expensive jacket. Anyway, good work with that photo comparison! It felt like I was looking right at BG when she was alive!

What about human or drug trafficking?

What always struck me about BG was how she seemed to appear out of thin air.. her face and looks were so clear and easily recognizable, but no one, save a few strangers who had seen her at a bar a few days before, seemed to know her. To me, a logical explanation to this is that was a foreigner, living in the US illegally. Based on what her sister said, I don't think she had plans to run away from home. Assuming she was kidnapped, if she was working in human or drug trafficking, and was an illegal alien, she wouldn't be 'on the books', working a regular job or going to school, around regular people who would be looking for her. If she was involved in a form of trafficking, the people who she did know most likely wouldn't be coming forward.

The isotope on BG's poncho shows she travelled a lot between a few locations- this is common with trafficking victims. Plus, if she was kidnapped for this trade, she wouldn't have been killed right away... I remember hearing that child sex trafficking victims are often killed at 25 (if BG is Patricia, she would've been 26). Or, after years of abuse, they partake in the work themselves, as they have known no other life and don't feel like they are capable of functioning in normal society.

I know there was reports BG was very clean and well groomed so this might contradict the trafficking theory, but she could've trapped in an abusive relationship. She could've run away, gotten the chance to clean herself up, and been caught. 11 years is a long time, and I'm sure the story isn't simple.

Finally, physically, to me, they're almost identical. I was so struck by the similarity in their faces I tried super imposing their images on top of each other here (PM pictures) (https://imgur.com/9EbSM6e) and here (https://imgur.com/5zuhFw9). Her features lines up almost perfectly (save the angle they were taken in). You can even see how she plucked her eyebrows in later years. Plus, Patricia's height was released as 5'7'' online, BG's was listed as 5'6''.

I don't know what else there can be done, either. I'm sure the family is aware of BG's existence (I've seen people comment about BG on her family's Facebook post... not good taste IMO but I guess given that we can assume they know). Perhaps they decided not to peruse it any more? I don't know. It's terribly sad, I just wish the poor girl could be buried at her home, wherever that may be.

I agree! To me it seems like such an obvious connection... it would be crazy to me if BG didn't pass their 'smell test'. Perhaps the photo comparison might prompt them to look closer? I don't know. So many people have reached out.

I definitely think what you suggested is possible.. the only thing I find odd is that she didn't appear to pack any thing, had a stable home life and no history of running away. But that doesn't mean that she didn't. This was the early seventies, and she was from a rural town, so perhaps romanticized ideas like that didn't seem immediately crazy (I mean I would never dream of hitchhiking but back then it was normal). I think you're right, though her appearance could suggest a relationship. Plus she died in a notoriously 'intimate' way (strangulation).

I don't think Patricia is BG. I think they are 2 girls that have similar features.

I think Patricia met with foul play the last she was seen. I think her friends know more then they have said. Patricia went missing at 16 in 1972, 9 years before BG was found. I personally doubt someone had her for 9 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back