NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

OK, my contribution for today was going to the complex and looking into ETJ's sightlines. This is going to complicate some theories.
Above, I've got the overview of the two buildings highlighted in white. ETJ's is the one to the north, FH and KR's to the south. The red dot is FH and KR's door, green is ETJ's parking lot, and yellow is his door and deck.
I'll attach pictures in a following post, but Faith's building can only be seen AT ALL from the blue dot's location. From his parking lot, it is obscured by trees. ETJ's apartment, 904, was on the back side of his building, so not only could he not see their apartment, he couldn't even see the road going to it. The only place near his building where their building could be seen is at that curb (blue dot), and it would be weird and awkward for someone to just be standing there.

Totally. That was my impression from the beginning. Thank you for your work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Forensic Files. And that is one of several episodes I have thought of when thinking about an account of this crime in which it was a male living in a neighboring apartment who for one reason or another was not on a lease or has escaped police notice but who watched Faith and Karena for a period of time and developed a fascination with them.

That case has haunted me for years. I lived in the same complex as Stephanie. I waited tables at the time before Drew's arrest and waited on Drew a couple times. I remember how odd he was.

Just to show what is possible, one of the more horrifying episodes of Forensic Files involved a case that took place 10 years before and about 25 minutes away. A guy who walked his dog at night became obsessed with a woman who lived in his neighborhood. He hid in her closet one night while she was out and raped and murdered her when she returned. When searching his place they found evidence that he had killed a woman previously in Michigan. It took a few years for LE to look at him seriously in the NC case (there was DNA but he wasn't a suspect until it was a cold case). He may have gotten away with the Michigan murder entirely if he hadn't saved the murder weapon and some of her mail.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1091357/

Drew's brother started started this message board thread on another site. There is a lot of random info there.

attachment.php

OK, my contribution for today was going to the complex and looking into ETJ's sightlines. This is going to complicate some theories.
Above, I've got the overview of the two buildings highlighted in white. ETJ's is the one to the north, FH and KR's to the south. The red dot is FH and KR's door, green is ETJ's parking lot, and yellow is his door and deck.
I'll attach pictures in a following post, but Faith's building can only be seen AT ALL from the blue dot's location. From his parking lot, it is obscured by trees. ETJ's apartment, 904, was on the back side of his building, so not only could he not see their apartment, he couldn't even see the road going to it. The only place near his building where their building could be seen is at that curb (blue dot), and it would be weird and awkward for someone to just be standing there.

Looking forward to seeing these pictures when you can post them. Thanks!

This one is from the green dot's location, looking towards Faith's building; the building can't be seen.
attachment.php

This one is the yellow dot's location, on the back side of the 900 building.
attachment.php

This is from the blue dot's location, again towards Faith's building. It's the only vantage point near the 900 building where the 1500 building is visible.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 80
This one is from the green dot's location, looking towards Faith's building; the building can't be seen.
attachment.php

This one is the yellow dot's location, on the back side of the 900 building.
attachment.php

This is from the blue dot's location, again towards Faith's building. It's the only vantage point near the 900 building where the 1500 building is visible.
attachment.php
First, you're initial 'overview' image with the dots doesn't come up for me (and I assume others); just an error message; the above 3 images do open fine.
And just so I'm clear on this, do I understand right that ETJ couldn't even see the girls' car coming in or out of the complex, from his apt., unless he had stepped outside?

First, you're initial 'overview' image with the dots doesn't come up for me (and I assume others); just an error message; the above 3 images do open fine.
And just so I'm clear on this, do I understand right that ETJ couldn't even see the girls' car coming in or out of the complex, from his apt., unless he had stepped outside?

Strange, I don't see it now either. It showed up fine last night.
To answer your question, no, ETJ's apartment was on the back side of the 900 building and faced away from the road. He couldn't have just been sitting out on his deck and happened to see them coming and going and gotten mad about it. If he was keeping track of their movements, it would've taken more effort on his part and would've had to have been intentional.

attachment.php

OK, here it is again. Hopefully it'll deign to stick around this time.

Attachments

• ETJ4.png
    ETJ4.png
    605 KB · Views: 71
The only things that keep me from totally buying the "random person trying doors" thing is that she was killed with a liquor bottle...there was another bottle (wine?) in the room, too. Bottles that Karena says were not in the room before she left. That almost makes me think Faith was playing hostess to a visitor. Of course that's possibly (probably?) totally wrong, but I have always thought that the bottles came into the bedroom (or at least out of the cupboard) under the guise of having a drink together, and ended up being murder weapons when things went horribly awry. Otherwise... if they were just weapons of opportunity, why grab two when just one would suffice?

I don't recall Karena saying the bottles hadn't been there before. I heard her say "things that weren't there before." Is the bottle part a fact? Maybe it was in the originally redacted version?

Also, re ETJ, who would be so stupid as to post on FB (paraphrasing) " forgive me for the sins I'm going to commit" if he was planning to kill Faith? To me, that makes me think maybe he isn't the killer. I can't help but feel that comment was related to a different context.

I don't recall Karena saying the bottles hadn't been there before. I heard her say "things that weren't there before." Is the bottle part a fact? Maybe it was in the originally redacted version?

Also, re ETJ, who would be so stupid as to post on FB (paraphrasing) " forgive me for the sins I'm going to commit" if he was planning to kill Faith? To me, that makes me think maybe he isn't the killer. I can't help but feel that comment was related to a different context.

You're right. Karena does not say "there are bottles here that weren't here before". She says something along the lines of, "there's like stuff that was not in here before. Someone had definitely come in here." I was assuming that the bottles were part of the "stuff" that wasn't there before.

ETJ's comments could mean something else entirely. Seems weird that he would walk right up to the scene, and give an interview to a local TV new station singing Faith's praises when it seems like it was common knowledge that he did not get along with her. His behavior was definitely weird, whether he was guilty or innocent.

ETJ's comments could mean something else entirely. Seems weird that he would walk right up to the scene, and give an interview to a local TV new station singing Faith's praises when it seems like it was common knowledge that he did not get along with her. His behavior was definitely weird, whether he was guilty or innocent.

I think, guilty or innocent, he knew he was going to get talked to about it. Even if he had nothing whatsoever to do with it, I'm sure that the minute he heard she'd been murdered, his first reaction was "Oh, crap- I threatened to kill her! They're going to think that I did it! I need to get out in front of this!"

You're right. Karena does not say "there are bottles here that weren't here before". She says something along the lines of, "there's like stuff that was not in here before. Someone had definitely come in here." I was assuming that the bottles were part of the "stuff" that wasn't there before.

Seems to me somewhere (maybe an old Gaspo posting or police interview??) it IS mentioned that the rum bottle was normally in the kitchen -- it's always made me wonder if the small amount of alcohol in Faith was from the Thrill, or as I tend to guess, from home (I s'pose the autopsy couldn't pinpoint the type of alcohol or the hour of consumption?). Was she "socializing" in the bedroom with the perp(s) before the attack occurred (which would imply they were known to her)?

And yes, I've always thought ETJ's comments at the police tape VERY hinky (much more-so than KR's 911 call). Again, wish we knew how he answered police questions about his social media statements! And though he couldn't see KR/FH driving in/out of their place, he could've driven in from his own nightly outings just in time to see KR driving out with another guy, and thus known the apt. was either empty or FH was alone... just throwing out random ideas.

Seems to me somewhere (maybe an old Gaspo posting or police interview??) it IS mentioned that the rum bottle was normally in the kitchen -- it's always made me wonder if the small amount of alcohol in Faith was from the Thrill, or as I tend to guess, from home (I s'pose the autopsy couldn't pinpoint the type of alcohol or the hour of consumption?). Was she "socializing" in the bedroom with the perp(s) before the attack occurred (which would imply they were known to her)?

And yes, I've always thought ETJ's comments at the police tape VERY hinky (much more-so than KR's 911 call). Again, wish we knew how he answered police questions about his social media statements! And though he couldn't see KR/FH driving in/out of their place, he could've driven in from his own nightly outings just in time to see KR driving out with another guy, and thus known the apt. was either empty or FH was alone... just throwing out random ideas.

I agree about ETJ and how he might have seen KR leave. I also think he could have been creepily obsessed, and being closeby would make watching the apartment really easy, even if he couldn't do it from the convenience of his living room, especially given how dark it is around Karena's apartment (I've been by at night) and with all the shrubbery and woods there. He could do it undetected, and if he were seen around the parking lot, it would be low-risk because he lived in the complex and belonged there.

As for the bottles... I'm not sure whether I've heard either way about where they were usually kept. But given that Karena says there's stuff in the bedroom that wasn't there before, that implies (to me, anyway) more than just one thing, otherwise, I would think maybe it was just the note. But she says "things". And we know what they seized from the bedroom when they executed the search warrant -- it was some clothes, shoes, key to the apartment, a computer (IBM Thinkpad), phone, wallet, bedding, paperwork from bedroom and closet, a Bacardi bottle, and a riesling bottle. Seems to me that of the things that weren't there before, the bottles would be the most likely to stick out when KR was on the phone with 911...maybe the computer, but certainly not clothes, shoes, Faith's wallet, phone, key to the apartment, etc.

The search warrant inventory says that an IBM Thinkpad was seized, but the search warrants to search KR's and FH's laptops say they are both Lenovos. Faith also tweeted about hating her Lenovo. What do people think of that? Was the inventory in error, was the search warrant for Faith's or Karena's laptop in error, or is there a third computer?

The search warrant inventory says that an IBM Thinkpad was seized, but the search warrants to search KR's and FH's laptops say they are both Lenovos. Faith also tweeted about hating her Lenovo. What do people think of that? Was the inventory in error, was the search warrant for Faith's or Karena's laptop in error, or is there a third computer?
The Thinkpad was originally developed and sold for over a decade by IBM, but was sold to Lenovo in 2005. Certainly whatever FH & KR had in 2012 were Lenovo Thinkpads, but perhaps someone still had a strong association of the Thinkpad with IBM and just mistakenly jotted the name down wrong. I doubt there was any 7+ year-old computer involved.

Per the ME investigation report it states that the rum and Riesling bottles that were found in bedroom were usually kept in the kitchen.
JMO as I have seen it happen before. No judgement-JMO. Some women have gotten restraining orders just to break the order themselves. We don't know either way. KR could have still been seeing ETJ here and there but not broadcasting it. From what little we actually know about his interactions with both girls...I will say he does strike me as the type IMO that instead of pining after someone or looking through bushes he would move on to the next girl. JMO. Also I'd like to note that ETJ and Faith did not always have a strained relationship. We never know what goes on in a relationship behind closed doors. There are always three sides to every story. His. Hers. The truth. I also want to make it clear there is no doubt he did exhibit abusive behavior. A judge wouldn't grant an order if they didn't see evidence of it. Anyways, JMO.
The laptops IIRC...KR wasn't obtained till October 2012...plenty of time to delete anything not wanting to be found. JMO

Per the ME investigation report it states that the rum and Riesling bottles that were found in bedroom were usually kept in the kitchen.
JMO as I have seen it happen before. No judgement-JMO. Some women have gotten restraining orders just to break the order themselves. We don't know either way. KR could have still been seeing ETJ here and there but not broadcasting it. From what little we actually know about his interactions with both girls...I will say he does strike me as the type IMO that instead of pining after someone or looking through bushes he would move on to the next girl. JMO. Also I'd like to note that ETJ and Faith did not always have a strained relationship. We never know what goes on in a relationship behind closed doors. There are always three sides to every story. His. Hers. The truth. I also want to make it clear there is no doubt he did exhibit abusive behavior. A judge wouldn't grant an order if they didn't see evidence of it. Anyways, JMO.
The laptops IIRC...KR wasn't obtained till October 2012...plenty of time to delete anything not wanting to be found. JMO

He also doesn't strike me as the "pining" type. He DOES strike me as the type who moves on quickly when HE ends a relationship, but doesn't deal well with it at all when a girl drops him.

He also doesn't strike me as the "pining" type. He DOES strike me as the type who moves on quickly when HE ends a relationship, but doesn't deal well with it at all when a girl drops him.

True but as I said it is IMO that KR may have still been seeing ETJ even with an active restraining order.

It's the same thing right? Those are the raggedy school issued computers that they would give us @ Carolina during that time. Some ppl call them Lenovos, others call them Thinkpads. As far as I recall the laptop says both on it. I'll take a pic of my old one later.

Update: So the computers do say lenovo on the back where all the stickers and pin numbers are and stuff. And the front looks like this

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22

There is no such thing as deleting a file from a computer anymore. I am more capable than most, and I can't do it in such a way as a forensic exam wouldn't be able that reconstruct the files. It used to be pretty easy, but with solid state hard drives, it is almost impossible to make any thing totally go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member