GUILTY NY - Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, axed to death, Brighton, 19 Feb 1982 *husband arrested in 2019*

Stella

Reaction score
That is heartbreaking.

I found a page that looks to be some sort of monthly circulation or newsletter. It describes itself as a "non-profit, public benefits organization serving families and friends of homicide victims." There was a special done on Cathleen Schlosser Krauseneck by her friends, classmates, and family. It describes her life as a child and her school years. I'll skip that part for times sake but her murder is detailed in her special. It also talks about her husband and their marriage. It says:

"During high school, Cathy fell in love with an upper class-man and married him shortly after graduating. She and her husband eventually moved to a suburb of Rochester, New York, and began their lives as a young married couple. What happened with the couple from the time they graduated and began living in New York, is sketchy according to her former classmates and friends, because they had all gone their own ways. It is known that during this time, Cathy became the mother of a daughter.

It would appear to be the storybook life she, like most other little girls during the 50's, always dreamed about. Unfortunately, life had drastically changed in the early 1980's, and many of these Cinderella stories would never become a reality. Most, not nearly as tragic as that of Cathleen Schlosser. Reportedly, there were growing difficulties and tension in the marriage. Opposing sides, would have different stories about who was at fault. At any rate, life was not working out the way Cathy had dreamed and hoped for.

On February 19, 1982, according to Cathy's husband, he left the house, as he did every morning, and went off to work. When he returned home from work, he discovered the lifeless body of his life; she lay in the couple's bed with an axe embedded deep within her skull. Their toddler daughter had been walking around the home unharmed.

The Rochester Police Department worked diligently on Cathy's case and do have a prime suspect, but were never able to arrest him for the brutal murder. Former Brighton Police Chief, Thomas Volckl, worked on the case from the beginning. When he retired, he stated in an interview that Cathy's unsolved murder was one of the cases that bothered him the most.

When the 1970 graduating class of Mount Clemens High School celebrated their 40th reunion, they reflected upon those classmates that have passed on. The greatest of these is the tragedy that ended Cathy's young life. Her family and classmates have so many question and are desperately seeking answers and justice.

Today, the current Police Chief in Brighton, New York- Mark Henderson, is asking for your help. If anyone has information about the brutal murder of Kathleen Schlosser Krauseneck on February 19, 1982, please contact him at (585) 428-7033. The man who murdered Cathy must face the consequences of his actions. Justice must be served!"

Here is the link to that page:
http://www.prestoimages.com/site/rd3/3_page47217.pdf

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...ina NY Daily Register Journal 1982 - 0246.pdf

Interesting that the axe was kept in a garage that was not broken into. So how did the perp get the axe? Quite suspicious...

Silver strewn about yet nothing stolen? Staging.

I agree

Times, also seem off in this case, indicating that there was a possibility she could've been killed before her husband left for work

One article states the recently moved to that area as well, which would make it unlikely they'd accrue many enemies , unless that had anything to do with them re-locating in the 1st place, however a lot of things don't add up to the presence of an intruder

The offender, apparently "broke in", the back door but didn't wake the victim up didn't harm the child, she wasn't sexually assaulted, there's no presence, of ANY sexual component to this crime, nothing was stolen, though there was clearly silverware, most likely more valuables available to take which indicates, that she was the target

The choice of the weapon is interesting in an of itself

Unless it was by happenstance, which cant be ruled out, but seems unlikely, and more pertinent that the offender, had prior knowledge, of the existence, and location, of the weapon within the residence.

Now Its not uncommon for a burglar to arm themselves with a weapon inside a residence, the most common weapon is a kitchen knife, that was out in the open (IE block), or something they come across while going through the residence, (scissors etc..)

If we are to assume this was indeed a break in then we need to establish the motive for such

-Why break in in the early am?, unless they know the victim would be alone with the child

-Though things were "disturbed" nothing of value was taken , so burglary/robbery seems unlikely

-The victim, wasn't sexually assaulted with no indication of any sexual activity at the scene ,so sexual homicide can be pretty much be ruled, out

-The child wasn't abducted from the residence, so abduction for ransom/sexual exploitation can be ruled out

-No fingerprints, indicates 1 of 3 possibilities,

1) The weapon was wiped down-indicating her killer knew their fingerprints would be found

2) the killer used a covering on his /her hands

3) Or that fingerprints were on the weapon , however any fingerprints found on the weapon are supposed to be there and weren't suspect

Which would explain the lack of any fingerprints, found in the house as well

Other than a NEED to kill the victim, there's not much evidence to support any other theory

All indicators seem to point to personal cause homicide , someone angry with the victim

Why bash someone's head in with an axe when they are asleep?, you could do virtually anything to an unconscious victim?.

And if they are such a sound sleeper that they could sleep through someone breaking in the back door, then why not just grab what you can and run.

Another interesting fact is that it was a single strike to the victims head, however, as you can pretty much discern from any of the "gore" sites that are out there , people have survived, being struck in the head with ALL kinds, of objects.

Its not certain the victim would die, which to me indicates, that the offender, would possibly stand and wait till the victim, bled out, flee the scene immediately, or strike the victim again .

So we have to assume, someone broke in to kill the victim, did she have any enemies? seems that this would be an obvious point to look into , but nothing is listed

In any case, the killer would most likely have, gotten some of the victims blood (possibly tissue) on them.

Given this was the AM hours, (Daylight) I think it would've been a real risk to exit the house, with the victims blood on your person primarily if you weren't someone who belonged in the residence at that hour

Unless they cleaned up prior to leaving, which would indicate, comfort at the scene . I didn't see any indication, the sinks/showers, were tested for the presence of blood (though I hope it would've been done, its a common practice)

recently moved to the area
no known enemies
victim found inside the residence
weapon originated from inside the residence
unlikely weapon of opportunity when others were most likely passed up
personal cause most likely
staged scene to throw off investigation
unlikely time for a break in
no sexual assault
no theft though valuables were disturbed
child present yet unhurt, not abducted or sexually assaulted
weapon wiped down while still imbedded in the victim
times, given by husband are suspect

If I were lead investigator, wed be having some LOOOOOONG talks with the husband to clear up those time discrepancies
See if any insurance claims had been taken out
Talk to friends, and family to see how their relationship was
Did anything recently happen?
Were either of them seeing someone else?
What was the reason for the move ?
Did they argue that morning or the night before ?
What is their financial situation?
Did the neighbors hear anything prior?
Were there any similar crimes in the area ?
Who would know where the weapon was ?
From the point of entry would the most likely path to where the victim was located bypass weapons of opportunity?.. IE did they walk by knives, etc. to get the axe?

Just some things to ponder

great thoughts all round!!!!
I am questioning the child-------could the child get out of bed or crib unassisted, wearing a diaper or toilet trained, was child hungry, dirty diapers in garbage,
And I am all about timing and windows of opportunity-----did they have the newspaper delivered?? news carrier see anything or hear anything???

Brighton Police renew efforts in 1982 Krauseneck murder case

http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/brighton-police-renew-efforts-in-1982-krauseneck-murder-case

Cases forgotten by many, but pursued by a few. Including Brighton PD Investigator Mark Liberatore. He's looked over the early reports that indicated what happened in this Del Rio Drive home was a burglary, but he's now confident new technology will lead them in a different direction. One that will end with an arrest.

"I'd say the last three and a half to four months, 100% of my time is dedicated to this. We are not wasting time here. We are making some good progress, I think the public needs to know that, and I'm very optimistic as to what the outcome of this case is going to be," said Liberatore.

Investigators would not tell us if they have any suspects or persons of interest at this time. It will take some time for the FBI's lab work to show results, which they expect will help move the investigation forward.

The home was for sale back in 2017. I didn't know two other people died there before Cathleen's murder.

"Prior to the ax murder, another incident took the lives of two people at the house at 33 Del Rio Dr. Anthony Schifino, founder of Rochester Radio Supply Inc. and one-time owner of Avon Inn, and his wife Estelle, died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the home in 1977. The car engine had been accidentally left running in the garage"

For sale: Brighton home that was site of one of the most infamous crimes in Monroe County

Article also says the current house went up for sale two days after he was questioned by Brighton police:

The family believes the couple began having marital problems in the months before her death.

Police said Krauseneck was having problems at his job with Kodak, allegedly because he had lied about receiving a doctorate degree — something Cathleen discovered, Schlosser said.

So we know the guy is a serial liar.

FINALLY! I was in high school when this happened and I lived in the town this happened in. It is one of the cases I planned on checking out when I registered a few weeks ago. I am thrilled they finally charged the husband.
Do you have any information from the community from back in the day? Rumors or substantiated information about the family? Thanks in advance if you have any insight.

May 16, 2016

In April, investigators from the Brighton, New York, Police Department talked with Krauseneck about the unsolved homicide of Cathleen Krauseneck, 29, the first of his four wives.

[...]

“At this time, he is the only one,” lead investigator Mark Liberatore said.

[...]

When his wife was killed Feb. 19, 1982, Krauseneck was an executive for Eastman Kodak Co. in Rochester, New York.

[...]

Police in 1982 surmised a burglar might have killed Cathleen Krauseneck because a window was shattered from the outside. An ax and maul, used for splitting wood, were taken from the Krausenecks’ unlocked garage.

The 2 1/2-foot handle of the ax had been wiped clean, leaving behind no fingerprints.

Investigators interviewed Krauseneck that night and arranged for a follow-up interview the next day. Police were surprised when he took his daughter and left town without participating in the second interview.

Officers immediately made the journey to Mount Clemens, Michigan, where the Krausenecks were from, and spoke to James Krauseneck and other family members.

He agreed to allow a child psychologist to speak to his daughter, but it never happened.

“He gave the appearance of wanting to be cooperative,” Liberatore said. “But then he got a lawyer, and we never talked to him again for 34 years.

[...]

It would be three years before Krauseneck spoke publicly about his wife’s murder and then only because Brighton, New York, police came to Michigan and told reporters they were confused by the lack of cooperation from Krauseneck and his family.

“They’re all reluctant to offer information,” a Brighton detective told The Macomb Daily in a 1985 article. “It’s like Cathleen was murdered, taken off the face of the Earth and no one wants to help.”

Krauseneck countered by saying police were pointing fingers under mounting pressure to solve the case and were not equipped to deal with such a serious crime.

[...]

No real progress was made until last year, when Brighton Police Chief Mark Henderson heard about a new initiative from the FBI’s Buffalo office that offered resources to cold cases.

In April 2015, the chief and Liberatore presented the Krauseneck case to the FBI’s Cold Case Working Group, which includes about three dozen people from federal agencies, local police departments, medical examiner offices, district attorney offices and crime labs.

[...]

Although some forensic testing was done in 1982, the technology has significantly improved since then, and more DNA tests are possible, Henderson said.

The department still maintains more than 100 pieces of evidence from the case. Investigators are determining which ones should be forensically tested, the chief said.

“This is justice for Cathleen,” Henderson said. “That’s what this is all about.”

[...]

Her father, 90, and mother, 88, seek daily updates, said Cathleen’s younger sister, Annet Schlosser.

“We’ve lived this horrible, unbelievable nightmare, and it has torn our family apart with grief and sadness,” Schlosser said Monday. “I really want to see this case closed. My parents need to have justice so they can rest.”

[...]

After they married, they lived in Colorado and Virginia for a time before moving to Brighton.

The family believes the couple began having marital problems in the months before her death.

Police said Krauseneck was having problems at his job with Kodak, allegedly because he had lied about receiving a doctorate degree — something Cathleen discovered, Schlosser said.

She questions why Krauseneck immediately left the Brighton area after her sister’s death and said she is angry he kept her niece from the family over the years.

[...]

Two days after Brighton police left Washington, Krauseneck and his current wife listed for sale their 3,352-square-foot house along the eighth fairway of Canterwood Golf & Country Club.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article78017552.html

UPDATED:

yearbook

Cathleen

James

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads