***SPOILER ALERT*** Imperfect Justice by Jeff Ashton - CONTENT DISCUSSION

TBH, you are prob correct about her, in the most part.

BUT: I would be bitter if my life was on the line and my lawyers decided to talk about my pleading guilty with the judge and prosecution away from me and I was not even allowed to be there, as if it was being hidden from me or if I wasn't important enough to be "in the loop" when my own fate is being discussed.

I don't think that is the way it happened. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!)

My understanding was there was a plea deal discussion between the prosecution & the defense to strike a deal both sides were on board with - THEN, it was at that point that Mason approached Casey with the agreed upon option(s) (there were 2). After Casey's catatonic response just staring blankly, that was when Mason approached Judge Perry - either Mason asked for a competency hearing because he thought she might have really lost touch with reality at that point, OR Judge Perry ordered one just to make sure she was competent and UNDERSTOOD what was being offered and was aware of the choice and decision she was making.

bbm not the only one, dear. there was frank george, linda drane burdick, yuri melich, all of the people who spent hours and hours on their knees in bad weather in a trash filled swampy area sifted through the dirt for days on end looking for pieces of caylee marie anthony....on and on, so many people were advocating for caylee, but the tragedy of her tiny life is that of this list not a single family member is on it. (although I would include shirley & rick pleasea in my list, I believe if anything they could say could have been admitted they would have never buckled under for OCA or CA over caylee)

2goldfish - I so much agree with you about Rick and Shirley - I can't fathom the family dynamic right now - and hopefully they have separated and consider GA and CA and FCA as ....well, I don't want to be banned here.....so I'll say ......no longer on this earth - to even mention.

I'm not sure if Shirley's husband is still alive in the nursing home - prayers for them having to go through this ordeal in KNOWING the evil in the family.

I did not watch JA on Dr. Phil yesterday but here is a short article about it:
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...ton-tells-dr-phil-i-wish-i-hadnt-smirked.html

Ashton on Baez:

Why did he smirk at a crucial moment in the trial? “I wish I hadn’t,” Asthon said. He cited attorney Jose Baez’s argument that the duct tape connected George Anthony to the crime. "That argument had never made sense to me,” Ashton said. “Jose’s voice went up a couple of octaves. The combination of the argument and the squeaky voice got me."

:floorlaugh:

On the jury:
Ashton said the jury was bland and not made up of passionate, decisive people. “All of those people had already put the pieces together,” Ashton told McGraw.

I adore JA's witty sense of humor. His personality is so much more honest and likable that JB's IMO. Not to mention his respectability. Can't wait to read his book. The dedication alone brought me to tears. "For Caylee, so no one forgets". JA never lost sight of the real victim in this. He brought Caylee into that courtroom, even though the DT tried to keep her in the woods. Too bad the jury was blind and more concerned with movies and deserts than justice for her.. *sigh*

Why does it seem that once we step into the courtroom, the only "rights" that are of concerns are the perps. Very awful case in my neck of the woods recently - already we are getting the "ah poor perp" vs the dead 14 year old with 10 stab wounds

Wish I could agree with you but I can't. I think the Pinellas 12 took that honor - they brought their bodies to the courtroom but left their souls at home.

Jeff says in his book that with these 12 they lost the case before they started.

Throughout the years leading up to the trial I would often wonder how the players found each other. KidFinders (Milstead's) D.Casey and J Hoover, etc.,all ethically challenged,IMO.

Then this jury is assembled and they all fall into line. How does that happen? Does JA have any insight into this collection of <unusual people> coming together ? Were the stars aligned a certain way or something? I mean,what are the odds?
Twelve ! All just falling like dominoes. I just don't get it.

I don't think that is the way it happened. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!)

My understanding was there was a plea deal discussion between the prosecution & the defense to strike a deal both sides were on board with - THEN, it was at that point that Mason approached Casey with the agreed upon option(s) (there were 2). After Casey's catatonic response just staring blankly, that was when Mason approached Judge Perry - either Mason asked for a competency hearing because he thought she might have really lost touch with reality at that point, OR Judge Perry ordered one just to make sure she was competent and UNDERSTOOD what was being offered and was aware of the choice and decision she was making.

Yes, that was it exactly! Thanks Beach!

Things I wished I asked (but time ran out...lol)...what was it that Lee did?
What did Dr.Vaas believe would have created that much chloroform?

JA said Caylee did die June 16th. George was the last one to see Caylee and Casey.

Why does it seem that once we step into the courtroom, the only "rights" that are of concerns are the perps. Very awful case in my neck of the woods recently - already we are getting the "ah poor perp" vs the dead 14 year old with 10 stab wounds

I agree with the old quote, (paraphrasing) "the trouble with the law is that perps know their rights better than their wrongs". It is truly sad, that so many victims never receive justice. Not in this life anyway.

No the order of events, I understand.

It is just from what you posted earlier, it made it seem as though the DT, Pros and JP were actually discussing whether she should take the plea deal (i.e. during that bench conference and chambers conference after CM approached JP w/o the C/Reporter). That was what I meant when KC was "out of the loop" so to speak. Without getting into legal customs and rules of procedure, I think most ppl would be quite annoyed if that happened to them.

P.S. - Was that the same time/day when KC appeared to be "vicious" or "angry" with her defense and the slow-motion video surfaced?

And I was relieved to know that we out here in social media land had nothing to do with Casey going free as Ms. Singer and her group would like us to believe. He said it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were going to go after George, especially after Caylee was found so close to home.
He said he didn't think we saw the suicide note in its entirety.

Yes, and thank you for your first paragraph in particular - that always weighed heavily on me.

We knew that non-WSers were reading here - but our discussions went on amongst ourselves - not to an audience - or at least that how I always felt about it.

Said that George was just being George on the witness stand, and just couldn't ignore Jose's taunting. He wanted to yelll...just answer the question!!

Hrmm... book available on Amazon UK Kindle for £6.49. To buy or not to buy?
- Not really a Kindle fan
- BUT UK book not out til start of Dec
- US book can be delivered to UK but will take a while or incur hefty express shipping charges

Decisions, decisions...

It is just from what you posted earlier, it made it seem as though the DT, Pros and JP were actually discussing whether she should take the plea deal (i.e. during that bench conference and chambers conference after CM approached JP w/o the C/Reporter). That was what I meant when KC was "out of the loop" so to speak. Without getting into legal customs and rules of procedure, I think most ppl would be quite annoyed if that happened to them.

P.S. - Was that the same time/day when KC appeared to be "vicious" or "angry" with her defense and the slow-motion video surfaced?

Why - that's what they are there to do - work on her behalf. It's not as if anyone is making a decision for her - they are only advising. The final decision was hers.
And no to your question - it wasn't.

It is just a theory. But why keep a count down by days for a birthday that is already a fixed date. Makes no sense to me. JMO.

Agree with an earlier post in that it was a date for which she thought she could put of CA for knowing for a fact that Caylee was gone from this earth.

Why - that's what they are there to do - work on her behalf. It's not as if anyone is making a decision for her - they are only advising. The final decision was hers.
And no to your question - it wasn't.

Yes but when you are on trial for Capital Murder, most people would be scared and want to feel some degree of control over their own fate and the discussions going on.

I got the kindle version yesterday..
overall, the book was great. it was mainly a re-run of everything we already knew.. but the personal touch he put on it was great.

There were a couple things we didn't know (behind the scenes stuff) that was infuriating and funny.

My favorite part was when Linda picked him up to drive to Pinellas county for jury selection and she was wearing a "Casey Anthony" costume - the blue hoodie top with the # 82 and big white sunglasses. That made me LOL!

Said that George was just being George on the witness stand, and just couldn't ignore Jose's taunting. He wanted to yelll...just answer the question!!

whole frickin family - first class case of CANNOT SHUT UP MUST HAVE LAST WORD!!!!

Sillly people - silence is so much more powerful

BUT NO Let's argue cuz I really need to hear myself talk.

oh dear that is why I kept my snarky little self in chat for a good majority of the trial. WS went down all day of the verdict, I dont recall if I posted that day or not on the forum but in chat we were ....oh it was horrible, just horrible. and all our horror spilled off the screen, line after line so fast we couldnt even read each other...it didnt matter, we were all saying the same thing....

ugh. sorry. I meant to say that sally kerioth was the funniest thing I've seen to date and I cant imagine coming in in the middle of it, it was completely surreal wasnt it?? I am so sure she was drunk! had to be!

Yes! Chat was fun, and so crowded when the discussion forum went down. For those that used to join in chat, come on down to discuss the book.

I asked him how he, Frank G., and Linda were doing now. He said that the book was cathartic to some extent, but that it keeps everything going.
I told him I heard that he was going over to the "other side". He said it was his friend's firm. Sounds more like part-time work. I think I surprised him with the statement...but I told him that I have nothing against defense lawyers...that my father had been one...also said that it makes you wonder about the legal system...and he did understand and said..."you lose faith".

video clip of JA on Fox and Friends this morning:

[ame="http://video.foxnews.com/v/1278451403001/casey-anthony-prosecutor-tells-all-in-new-book/"]http://video.foxnews.com/v/1278451403001/casey-anthony-prosecutor-tells-all-in-new-book/[/ame]

JA: "If I could change one thing about this trial, it would be Cindy Anthony. I wish there were a way that we could get her out of her denial about Casey and her relationship with Casey"

When I first heard about this, that was my first thought - but upon reflection, I am almost positive that was a different day/issue.

This day (the plea deal/competency issue) I KNOW happened at the very beginning of one of the Saturday sessions. It was the Saturday that immediately after the conference between the attorneys/Judge Perry, Judge Perry dismissed the jury and suspended trial until the following week.

What I found so interesting about it, was Judge Perry was normally very irritated (and anyone could tell by his demeanor ;)) by any sort of delay that caused them to lose a day when he lost a day of court. However, this time, he seemed rather calm and did not appear to be upset about it. In retrospect, it makes sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back