CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water currents can absolutely remove clothes. Is this fact or rumor at this point (in regards to the body being naked)?

Also, does anyone know, when it was said that the area had been searched twice before, had they gotten the gates open and physically gone down into the water or just looked at it from the top?

sarx- I understand they walked the banks. But I could be wrong.

ETA: its in print media that the area was searched 2x's. I don't know where it was stated that the body was recovered without clothing, only that it was badly decomposed.

Do we know if the FBI is taking part in the investigation? I may have missed that, if already indicated. I hope so...Greeley cannot have a great deal of experience in this type of murder, I would not think...
Currently members of the Greeley Police Department, the FBI, the Weld County Coroner's Office and the Union Colony Fire Department are at the scene.

15nlhsk.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/newsheadlines/ci_15117338

ETA: its in print media that the area was searched 2x's. I don't know where it was stated that the body was recovered without clothing, only that it was badly decomposed.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, it they walked the banks then she very likely could have been down there the whole time. Heck, in the initial days of searching if they weren't in the water poking or using HRD dogs she could have been missed.

I hope this isn't her, but I don't have a good feeling about this given the circumstances.

I don't see how it can be an accident if the reports are true that she was naked...partially clothed it would be a possibility but not if no clothes at all were found on her body, or nearby...

There are a surprising number of situations in which this can occur when Mother Nature alone is involved- especially over weeks or months.

The worker who made the grisly discovery in the Greeley-Loveland Irrigation Canal said the body was naked, bloated and white, according to a 7NEWS source. A law enforcement source told 7NEWS that it is the same size, sex and age as the missing sixth-grader who attended Brentwood Middle School.

Kayleah was last seen on a surveillance video walking alone outside the Greely Mall, the FBI said. She was apparently en route to a birthday party, just south of the mall in the 1900 block of 30th Street.She never arrived at the party. The ditch where the body was found is about 1 ½ miles west of the mall and birthday party site.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23606902/detail.html

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

She never arrived at the party. The ditch where the body was found is about 1 ½ miles west of the mall and birthday party site.

The worker who made the grisly discovery in the Greeley-Loveland Irrigation Canal said the body was naked, bloated and white, according to a 7NEWS source. A law enforcement source told 7NEWS that it is the same size, sex and age as the missing sixth-grader who attended Brentwood Middle School.

Kayleah has brown hair, blue eyes, is about 5 feet 1 inch tall and 145 pounds.

Greeley Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych said the discovery was made at about 6 a.m. near 35th Avenue and 29th Street by the worker who was inspecting an irrigation ditch as he does daily.

When the worker opened a water-control gate near 29th Street, he spotted the body partially submerged in 3 feet of water and called 911, Tymkowych said.

Tymkowych said that area has been searched at least twice for Kayleah, who lives about a half-mile away from the ditch. However, the searches may have occurred when the water was low, or when the ditch was relatively dry. The irrigation ditch also runs underground from 47th to 35th avenues.

Heavy rains and hail deluged Greeley Tuesday night, and authorities believe the heavy water may have dislodged the body from its initial location.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23606902/detail.html

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, it they walked the banks then she very likely could have been down there the whole time. Heck, in the initial days of searching if they weren't in the water poking or using HRD dogs she could have been missed.

I hope this isn't her, but I don't have a good feeling about this given the circumstances.

I agree.
There are a lot of things that might keep a body submerged for an extended period of time, prior to being dislodged.
If the water was low but still 3+ft.......

Bloated? 2 months later? I'm not an expert in this field, someone chime in please, this isn't something I've seen before after that long.

Well, remember what happened when searchers for Chandra Levy did not go as far off the path as was originally planned, due to some mix-up, she was not found for a long time afterward...not saying this was due to any searching error; just sounds like an unfortunate result.
I am tending to think body was not visible at time of searches and only became so recently.
Also I understand clothes might be removed by elements, but it still seems as if a sock or underwear or something would be on body...perhaps this is the case and we just don't know. The person who found her may have said "naked" when she might have had an article or two of clothing.

Bloated? 2 months later? I'm not an expert in this field, someone chime in please, this isn't something I've seen before after that long.

Well the person who found her is not an expert either...may have seemed bloated to him/her...not sure how long an actual bloating condition would last...

Sounds like she might have been lodged in the tunnel where the canal ran underground and the heavy runs pushed her out.

She was found in the opposite direction from where she was going.

No clothes on.

I think all of that would help rule out an accident.

Wonder if that's an error in reporting. Earlier reports said body was severely decomposed to the point of not being able to say if it was male or female. I'm certainly no expert on dead bodies either, but bloated to me would mean, the gasses are still at work indicating a very recent death. moo

I've seen it in cold weather and some dry drownings. Some weighted bodies as well. Certainly unusual though. I wonder again about the inhaler.

Well the person who found her is not an expert either...may have seemed bloated to him/her...not sure how long an actual bloating condition would last...

This is true. Untrained (and often even trained) people who discover bodies very frequently do not recall details about the scene accurately.

Wonder if that's an error in reporting. Earlier reports said body was severely decomposed to the point of not being able to say if it was male or female. I'm certainly no expert on dead bodies either, but bloated to me would mean, the gasses are still at work indicating a very recent death. moo

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Decomposition of Cadavers in Cold Water*[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]68 days
Bloating, slippage, dark gray-brown discoloration, extensive subcutaneous adipocere, purge fluid in body cavities.
[/FONT]

http://www.galenpress.com/extras/extra2.htm

water temp of about 50 degrees or less.

It'll be interesting to hear more. I thought the first reports I read said a badly decomposed body, now I'm reading "white and bloated". Course don't know if that was meant to imply caucasian ethnicity or the stage of decomp.

Could be bad reporting, could be someone being traumatized or it could mean this is a fresher dump/accident (could still be her at any case).

Sounds like she might have been lodged in the tunnel where the canal ran underground and the heavy runs pushed her out.

She was found in the opposite direction from where she was going.

No clothes on.

I think all of that would help rule out an accident.

While it certainly doesn't look good, we don't know that this is Kayleah at this point, in fact we don't even know it is a "she" as the initial reports said the body was too badly decomposed to determine sex upon initial finding. Trying myself to hold off labeling this one her until we get more info.

It'll be interesting to hear more. I thought the first reports I read said a badly decomposed body, now I'm reading "white and bloated". Course don't know if that was meant to imply caucasian ethnicity or the stage of decomp.

Could be bad reporting, could be someone being traumatized or it could mean this is a fresher dump/accident (could still be her at any case).

Badly decomposed were news reports and LE.

The "bloated" bit came from the worker who found the body.

Those were my thoughts as well-I thought that happened during the earlier stages. That's why I am interested to hear how long she had been dead vs how long in the water.

I will be shocked if it is an accident. Her poor family. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member