Drunk Driver's SUV Demolished To Keep Him Off Roads

IMHO, it does no good to crush vehicles that are road worthy. Have the drunk sign it over to a charitable group (ie, MADD) so they can use it to pick up people who need rides after a night on the town.

But disposing of a vehicle really doesn't punish the drunk, IMHO. He'll just go out and get another one.

MOO

Mel

While I have to agree with Melanie that there could have been a better use for this vehicle and that the guy will end up getting another vehicle when he gets out or driving one that belongs to someone else; I do applaud this judge for at least trying something different.

From the above article:
"According to Ohio prosecutors, approximately one-third of all drivers who are arrested or convicted of DUI are repeat offenders. So, that leaves judges with a difficult dilemma-how to keep repeat offenders like Thomas Brownfield from driving drunk over and over again."

I don't really see a problem. After the 3rd time lock 'em up for good.

I'm surprised the Judge is allowed this much discretion. I find that interesting.

The problem is as stated, once the guy gets out of jail, he will just find another vehicle to drive drunk in. As sad as it is, I have had conversations with some that cannot, simply cannot understand why there are dui laws. No matter how many deaths you speak to them of or even their own threat to themselves. It makes me nuts.

I don't think this is the answer to the problem, not sure the Judge will not receive some sort of issues from this down the line, and I still cannot come up with any answer that works. Even requiring inter-lock breath machines that keep you from driving if you breathe in it and have had any alcohol, does not deter those determined to do it.

I did not read the article but if it was not done.. they should of permanently suspended his license so he could never drive again...

A seven time DUI offender, when Brownfield was sentenced by judge Norbert Nadel. He not only got a year in prison but the judge also issued an order to dispose of his vehicle and today that order was carried out.
http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...eep-Him-Off-Roads/P_MZ7BE3fE2X-d7KiQU1uA.cspx

Wow.. really? Ridiculous. Firstly, this guy should have been put in jail for a lot longer.. then maybe on house arrest and his van given to charity!
He should never ever again be able to register ANY vehicle as well.
So many other things to do if our judicial system would just think of them! Destroy a vehicle? LAME

I did not read the article but if it was not done.. they should of permanently suspended his license so he could never drive again...

the problem is that the majority of those who have no issues driving drunk also have no issues driving without a license so suspending a license whether permanently or not does not keep them off the road

same problem with not allowing them to register another vehicle in the future - they don't care if they have a legal vehicle or if it is in their own name or even if it is their vehicle

we need harsher 1st offence sentencing that includes hefty fines, minimum of 30 days in jail, and mandatory counseling or alcohol/drug treatment upon release

sentencing for 2nd offences should include minimum of 1 yr in prison and the mandatory treatment program should be required to be the residential ones

3rd offenses should include a minimum of 10 yrs in prison

Sentences need to be served fully and fines need to be difficult for the offender to pay (my brother has been fined as little as $500 and given a year to pay it off - it didn't "cost" him anything to pay less than $10 per week - ridiculous!)

Do I want to see my brother back in prison? He recently served about 16 mos of a 6 yr sentence and within a couple of days was driving drunk again without a license in a vehicle that was not properly registered/licensed and did not belong to him. I'd rather see him in prison than on the road where he could hurt or kill an innocent person or himself.

PS This post written by someone who already lost one brother who died in a DWI motorcycle accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back