Mid-Atlantic States - DE, DC, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, W. VA - Weather Discussion

This made me realize just how destructive a hurricane would be to NYC, even though they'd at least have more time to evacuate. But the damage would be extreme.

Prayers to the family. This was hurricane-force winds.

I watched a show on tv a year or so ago, that was basically stating that a major hurricane (CAT 3+) would hit NYC eventually and that it would be catastrophic (sorry, don't have a link handy). But, one of the good things to come out of 9/11 is that they now have such a great emergency management system. They had to learn a lot as they responded to 9/11, but they were an excellent student! :)

New York suffered quite a bit of damage, power outages are still being reported.

A 30-year-old woman was killed in Queens when a tree fell on the car she was driving, the New York Police Department said.
Surveyors for the National Weather Service will meet with New York authorities later Friday to analyze the storm and determine whether a tornado actually tore through the city, meteorologist Peter Wichrowski said.

It is possible, according to CNN meteorologist Sean Morris, that a few brief tornadoes could have formed, touched down and rapidly dissipated within the line of severe thunderstorms.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/17/new.york.storm/index.html

Well I haven't heard much from any New Yorkers, maybe they don't have any electricity, I just hope everyone is o.k. I heard there was a tornado in Ohio also. Didn't hear anything about injuries or deaths, hope everyone's o.k. there also.

New York suffered quite a bit of damage, power outages are still being reported.

A 30-year-old woman was killed in Queens when a tree fell on the car she was driving, the New York Police Department said.
Surveyors for the National Weather Service will meet with New York authorities later Friday to analyze the storm and determine whether a tornado actually tore through the city, meteorologist Peter Wichrowski said.

It is possible, according to CNN meteorologist Sean Morris, that a few brief tornadoes could have formed, touched down and rapidly dissipated within the line of severe thunderstorms.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/17/new.york.storm/index.html

I read that the woman who was killed had just switched seats with her husband. He survived. Weird, huh!

I guess I don't find it that bad.. i live in Iowa and an EF5 1/2 mile wide tore thorugh the north end of our town and completely decimated a town next to us a couple years ago....
and yes child PA gets tornadoes. LOL

Oh that boys Pittsburgheese (Pittsburgh Accent) is strong in that video!! LOL
I'm glad no one was hurt.

Bless his heart. That scared the carp out of him. I have a deep abiding respect for tornado's too :) I would have probably run too but I doubt I would've caught that on camera.

I wish I hadn't watched that. Not that it was the most stunning storm footage ever, but I have recurring nightmares about tornadoes, and am now betting I'll have one tonight!

CANONSBURG, Pa. (AP) — An 11-year-old western Pennsylvania girl is recovering after she was struck by a bolt from the blue.

Lisa Wehrle tells the Observer-Reporter newspaper of Washington, Pa., that the sun was shining when her daughter, Britney, was struck by lightning

Friday, apparently from a storm several miles away.
Lisa Wehrle says, "There was no rain. It was a beautiful day. All she heard was some thunder."

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-girl-11-hit-lightning-sunny-afternoon-142649730.html

Praise the Lord she survived!!!!!!! But this is a lesson for all who read it, "when thunder roars, go indoors." If you are close enough to hear the thunder, you are close enough to be struck, regardless of the sky conditions. Lightning can hit 10 miles away from it's origin. (I'm a SKYWARN volunteer severe weather spotter for the NWS, so we learn this stuff.)

I didn't know this could happen...

Wow, I'm glad she's okay, that's crazy.

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't know that could happen either! But great advice, DK. Sadly, not very many people heed it.

This drives me crazy. We all know that thunder is your warning to seek shelter, but I routinely attend sporting events where kids are allowed to remain on the field while it is thundering, as long as there is no lightning. It is worse when it is sunny, like in this case.

At the local rec league games, I will be the "crazy" mom and pull my child off the field even if the ref refuses to call it. But at HS games where I am up in the stands and have no access to my child, all I can do is pray and fume. (probably not a great combination)

Whenever you call them out on it, they state that it was a mistake and not their policy, but it doesn't change. I really wish coaches and refs would read this article (and the many other stories like it) and get a clue about what's really important!

So glad this girl is okay!

I think the article should be passed around the internet/e-mail for all to learn from.

This thread will contain information for the Mid-Atlantic States

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather 5m
Heavy rain associated with a tropical system could occupy parts of the East Coast. Find out where and when. http://ow.ly/lHJUy

It's unusually cool here today (40 degrees) and looks like rain this AM. UH-oh, that means the grass will grow again- bah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back