GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

With respect, why are you so reluctant to provide a quote?

~jmo~

Asking for links is fine.

Also, maybe this case needs a media/timeline thread in the No Discussion area so that links can be quickly found?

Has anyone set one up?

Thanks,

Salem

Here is a Media/Photo/Map/Timeline thread: CA CA - Gavin Smith, Los Angeles, 1 May 2012, MEDIA/TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The thread is a "list" only - no discussion. It makes following the news easy and quick if everyone posts their links there. Also, it is great for posting the timeline and maps, searches, etc. so that they don't get buried in the threads.

Salem

Thanks, Salem! You gave us a good start. :).

FYI for all, I added the links from my last post and added some links from the start of the thread through Pg 1 to try to go chronologically. Please feel free to jump in with Pg 2 and forward links. Gotta run!

ETA: Pg 2 done

It could be affair-related, but it seems odd Gavin would head out at 10 PM in just sweatpants to meet up...? I hope whatever's happened isn't related to his alleged unfaithfulness. If true, I'm sure it's already hurt the family enough.

Praying that the truth is uncovered and Gavin found quickly. Prayers for the Smith family.

Page 3 links are now in media thread.

Curious about the years between 1991 alternative HS graduation and 2003 Federal prison release for Creech. (And even more so about his link to Gavin.)

Moo

Per LA Superior Court Records https://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/onlineservices/criminalindex/

Name:* CREECH , JOHN * LANZIE *
Case Number* LACBA367995-01
Filed At*Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Filing Date*02/18/2010
Limited Jurisdiction
Count ChargeSection Charge Statute Disposition DispositionDate
01 11351 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
02 11352(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
03 11359 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
04 11378 Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
05 11370.9(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010
06 11377(A) Health & Safety Code Held to Answer 11/09/2010

Name:* CREECH , JOHN * LANZIE *
Case Number* XCNBA367995-01
Filed At*Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center
Filing Date*11/09/2010
General Jurisdiction
Count Charge Section Charge Statute Disposition Disposition Date
01 11351 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
02 11352(A) Health & Safety Code Guilty/Convicted 02/27/2012
03 11359 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
04 11378 Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
05 11370.9(A) Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.
06 11377(A) Health & Safety Code Online data not available. Online data not available.

BBM & red by me.

Per California statutes here: All are drug related charges. Possession of controlled substances, possession with intent to sell, transport/import, sale of controlled, sale of MJ, receive/concealment of proceeds.

Conviction on:

11352. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, every
person who transports, imports into this state, sells, furnishes,
administers, or gives away, or offers to transport, import into this
state, sell, furnish, administer, or give away, or attempts to import
into this state or transport (1) any controlled substance specified
in subdivision (b), (c), or (e), or paragraph (1) of subdivision (f)
of Section 11054, specified in paragraph (14), (15), or (20) of
subdivision (d) of Section 11054, or specified in subdivision (b) or
(c) of Section 11055, or specified in subdivision (h) of Section
11056, or (2) any controlled substance classified in Schedule III,
IV, or V which is a narcotic drug, unless upon the written
prescription of a physician, dentist, podiatrist, or veterinarian
licensed to practice in this state, shall be punished by imprisonment
pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for
three, four, or five years.

No wonder LE didn't mess around when serving the warrants. Moo

Don't see him listed as inmate @ LA County Sheriff link...Locals, are there other places we should look for charges/incarceration(s)?

Not listed as inmate at CA DOC & Rehabilitation either...link

Wonder if he's out pending sentencing, or was when Gavin disappeared.

So, speculating here, was Gavin going to meet up with JC so he could score some drugs. And then things went sideways somehow.

Maybe. Or, he was friends with wife, hubby was paranoid/jealous since he was about to go to prison...or Gavin testified against him and was lured somewhere...Or ??

Don't see him listed as inmate @ LA County Sheriff link...Locals, are there other places we should look for charges/incarceration(s)?

Not listed as inmate at CA DOC & Rehabilitation either...link

Wonder if he's out pending sentencing, or was when Gavin disappeared.

I really don't know how this aspect of the legal system works...but since he was found guilty of at least one count that has a 3-5 year sentence maybe he is out just waiting for the conclusion of the other trials or sentencing?

Good work BTW, seek&find. I have been very unsuccessful finding ANYTHING!

Wonder if there are sentencing enhancements if he'd already done Federal time...

It'll be especially sad if he harmed Gavin while out on bond/pending sentencing.

If his various import transactions related to his conviction, wonder if he's facing Federal charges too?

Maybe. Or, he was friends with wife, hubby was paranoid/jealous since he was about to go to prison...or Gavin testified against him and was lured somewhere...Or ??

Something led LE to this address. I wonder if it was texts or calls on Gavin's cell that night. We need to know if the calls were from the husband or wife.

FYI for those sleuthing, some articles refer to Creech's home as in Canoga Park, others as Chatsworth. Per comments on some articles, it looks like the area changed names??

Back on the chain gang ... in West Hills?

John Creech, who lives a few blocks away with young children, was stunned to see barbed wire on the comfortable hilltop home overlooking Chatsworth Reservoir.

"The first time, I was offended - what the heck is this?" said Creech, 39. "Then I realized they're trying to make a point. It's a gimmick. It's comical. Now I get it."

link

Now we know why this offended Creech. ;)

snip
Something led LE to this address. I wonder if it was texts or calls on Gavin's cell that night.
Good question! Plus pings map and timeline...

*Police have not disclosed where Smith drove the night he disappeared, but “he stayed in the Valley,” Sgt. John O’Brien says. “He was bouncing around the Valley or, at least, his phone was. We are talking about after bars close.”
link

Perhaps they wanted to make it an internet accessible cafe to attract more business ?

I am wondering whether the cafe is actually located at this address or somewhere else ???
It might be just a mailing address because all of the businesses for John CREECH use this address. And google maps shows that this address belongs to ...

Beverly Hills Postal Center
8306 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 48 ft SW
(323) 658-8988

Not sure how I missed this post before, 2rose! Great find! You're right! Zoomed into street view in map app on iPad and this address is in a single level strip mall, as Beverly Hills Postal Center, with a big "24 Hour Mailboxes" sign.

This is a total stretch and I am throwing it out there---don't believe it is likely but it would validate potential sightings of Gavin.

Johnny Creech is into the drug dealing scene. He also has a number of businesses which are questionable. What if either he knew people in the fake ID business or he himself was in the fake ID business? Gavin decided to run away and JC hooked him up with a fake ID. Then G leaves town with the car. He is seen getting tacos with his girlfriend on the way to wherever (Canada?)

LE knows there is contact between Creech and Smith and Creech is already on their radar for the drug stuff. They assume that this is a cut and dried drug deal/money deal gone bad and take the car to search for evidence.

It seems like Gavin wouldn't have left his children, so that is why I think it is unlikely. In this theory's favor is the fact that he and his wife were on the outs and he was having financial difficulties. Maybe he felt a disconnect with his family and went through a midlife crisis?

So after all the media hoopla a few days ago, it looks like there are no new updates. I was hoping Johnny Creech would talk and there would be some clue at to his relationship with Gavin Smith.

Bump

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back