CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_13036933

Hassani, who will be a first-grader at Leitch Elementary School, lives on a quiet street in Fremont with his sister, his aunt, Jennifer Campbell, and her fiance, police said. His biological parents live separately in San Francisco. Police have declined to say why the boy does not live with them, though his mother may have some health problems.

In addition to interviewing the boy's aunt and her fiance, police have interviewed the boy's mother and grandmother. They had not yet spoken with the boy's father

Perhaps one of our wonderful mods could merge the threads? :blowkiss:

I'm watching her!

It really is hard for me to understand how nobody saw him being abducted (if he was) and it doesn't make any sense that he'd be able to leave the car and "run away". Someone on Nancy's show brought up the point that the store has handicapped access to the front door also so there wasn't any reason to be parked in the back.

Nancy is questioning if anyone knows for sure that the boy was ever in the car. A reporter is saying that sources close to the case are saying that there is no reason not to believe the foster dad's story at this point. MOO

There is *always* reason to question anyone's story in an abduction case. That is just logical police work - doesn't mean be rude or obvious about it, but history has taught us anyone can lie about anything.

Perhaps one of our wonderful mods could merge the threads? :blowkiss:
I'm not finding the Hassani thread in the "Missing" forum anymore ~ maybe they've already been merged here? :confused:

Alright, I'll say it.
Bathtubs do not fracture skulls.
Falling out of bed will not cause a spiral fracture.
Cars do not eat children when we aren't looking.

All of these excuses are old and hackneyed.
Although, I will wait for confirmation on the full story, because as of right now, he may have gone missing from a family friend, a foster dad, his own dad, or simply a make caretaker, depending on whom you listen to. He may have been on his way to see his mother or his aunt depending on the source. I want to see what the settled story is when everyone has sorted out their sources.

Personally, I think they took the car more to make sure that Hassani was ever in it in the first place that day.

At least the guy stopped short of the "car jacker of some other race" story.

quoted from the above article....

Police also said that the boy's foster father is the only person who says he saw Hassani behind the store Monday evening. No other neighbors in the area say they saw Hassani there

Uh oh! Now we only have Foster Dad's word that Hassani was in the car that afternoon. Is the sister older or younger? Anyone know? Maybe she could confirm Foster Dad's story.

ETA Sister is only one year old...no help there. :(

At first I was really suspicious of the fiance/foster dad's story, but the police had a news conference and they say the foster dad and mom are in the process of adopting Hassani, and they are "pleading" with the public for his safe return. Why they would do away with him at the same time as trying to adopt him? Makes no sense.

Link to conference: http://www.kron.com/News/ArticleView/tabid/298/smid/1126/ArticleID/2590/reftab/36/Default.aspx

However, I haven't seen the foster parents on tv pleading, and to actually see them could be very telling--I'm thinking of Susan Smith "pleading" for her children's return while she looked down and never made eye contact with the camera. Very suspicious.

So many things about this story do not square up.

Columbo, IMO, most of these cases are the result of a sudden rage over a bedwetting/potty training issue or something. IMO, they aren't premeditated or planned.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13036933?source=rss&nclick_check=1

OAKLAND — While investigators said foul play or an accident have not been ruled out in the case of a 5-year-old disabled boy who vanished from behind a Rockridge district shoe store Monday, some area merchants are questioning the story the boy's foster father told police.

The boy has lived with Ross, 38, and Campbell, 30, in Fremont since last December because his 25-year-old biological mother, who lives in San Francisco, has drug and health problems, authorities said. Police have not spoken to the boy's father, also of San Francisco.

Authorities said the couple, who reportedly are taking legal steps to adopt the
boy, hired a lawyer Tuesday. The boy's 1-year-old sister was taken into protective custody Tuesday, authorities said.

Oakland Police Department spokesman Sgt. Raymond Backman said Ross and Campbell have been cooperative but could be brought in for additional questioning. Asked if the couple had been given a polygraph test, he declined to comment.

I don't like the way this story is going. :(

I pray they find this sweet little thing alive and well...... SOON!

fran

At first I was really suspicious of the fiance/foster dad's story, but the police had a news conference and they say the foster dad and mom are in the process of adopting Hassani, and they are "pleading" with the public for his safe return. Why they would do away with him at the same time as trying to adopt him? Makes no sense.

Link to conference: http://www.kron.com/News/ArticleView/tabid/298/smid/1126/ArticleID/2590/reftab/36/Default.aspx

However, I haven't seen the foster parents on tv pleading, and to actually see them could be very telling--I'm thinking of Susan Smith "pleading" for her children's return while she looked down and never made eye contact with the camera. Very suspicious.

So many things about this story do not square up.

BBM

Just an idea - perhaps the foster mom wanted the adoption more than the foster dad?

That having been said, I don't wish to be rude to people who are possibly innocent and going through hell-on-earth right now. Just tossing out ideas as they come.

Hassani:
I think I am with the majority in that:
1. Why not park in front of the store, where NG says there was no curb?
2. Why park in the back?
3. If he was leaving the child with the aunt, why not take him on into the store?
4. An abductor would take that BWM.
5. If there was a SO who would take Hassani, what, they just happened to be there and grabbed him out of the car and took off in a matter of what, two minutes?
6. Do a lot of foster dads have BMW's?
No, I am not disparaging foster families, it just is I have rarely known one who had a BMW. If they had a special needs child, they would have a van.
ot: I was a case manager for many years.
7. So, why wasn't the aunt the foster parent?
8. Did the foster father and the aunt live together?
9. Where are his parents?
10. Who saw him last?

I hope the car turns up forensic evidence.
The search dogs did not.

As far as the parking issue: Rockridge is a very busy area of Oakland and the curb in front of the store might have been occupied. I agree though, it is a little hinky to park in back AND leave the child there.

Because it is such a busy and highly trafficked area, it seems like someone would have had to see Hassani being abducted, if that was what happened.

The fiance and the aunt are in the process of adopting Hassani. So I would assume that both are foster parents. The aunt is pregnant.

The more I hear about this, the more I'm wondering who leaves a BMW unlocked in an alley ~ especially with a 5 y/o child inside? :waitasec: MOO

Is there not a back door at the store?

Why would the sister be taken into protective custody? Is this SOP in a missing child case involving foster care?

BBM

Just an idea - perhaps the foster mom wanted the adoption more than the foster dad?

That having been said, I don't wish to be rude to people who are possibly innocent and going through hell-on-earth right now. Just tossing out ideas as they come.

(bolded by me)
That certainly is possible, seeing as how she is Hassani's mom's sister! Makes a lot of sense. And she is pregnant with Ross' (the fiance's) child. Maybe it's the old story of not wanting another man's kid around? Plus a disabled one...doesn't fit in with the BMW lifestyle.

I apologize for having these thoughts because it is possible the people are innocent, as you say, WhyaDuck? . It certainly is strange, though.

The more I hear about this, the more I'm wondering who leaves a BMW unlocked in an alley ~ especially with a 5 y/o child inside? :waitasec: MOO

And it really bothers me that someone took the child and not the BMW - otherwise, one could assume it was a car-theft-turned-kidnapping.

(bolded by me)
That certainly is possible, seeing as how she is Hassani's mom's sister! Makes a lot of sense. And she is pregnant with Ross' (the fiance's) child. Maybe it's the old story of not wanting another man's kid around? Plus a disabled one...doesn't fit in with the BMW lifestyle.

I apologize for having these thoughts because it is possible the people are innocent, as you say, WhyaDuck? . It certainly is strange, though.

Agreed - this post-Susan Smith world has made it pretty hard for parents with missing kids, and I feel a lot of trepidation about making accusations against people in what could be their darkest hour. The truth is, however, that while "stranger danger" gets the air time, kids are a lot more likely to be harmed by someone they know... So, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think we are all following our noses here, and something's a bit rotten in Denmark.

Bottom line: Please, let this little boy be safe!

And it really bothers me that someone took the child and not the BMW - otherwise, one could assume it was a car-theft-turned-kidnapping.

Maybe we are just too quick to be suspicious after all the 'missing' kids we have read about turning out to have been harmed by their 'nearest and dearest'. I will be very happy to be proved wrong in this case. But I am really having doubts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans