CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not a lot of tire tracks since the road maintenance crew use a mixture of water and calcium chloride when they grade the gravel roads around there. The calcium chloride aids in compacting the gravel and it acts as dust control. Also there would not be any brush under the car since the road at the edge dips towards a small ditch with very swampy soil, he/they would have gotten stuck and left deep tire impressions.
Beech Grove Sideroad is gravel from east to west, however the north/south roads are asphalt. He/they would possible have come down Mountainview Road or St. Andrew's Road which are both paved with asphalt from Hwy. 9 to Beech Grove Sdrd.
Mountainview Rd. is 390 meters from where the perp left the 'remains' and about 1000 meters (1 km) from St. Andrew's Rd.
My intuition is that the perp knew exactly where to go and drop the 'remains' right after or before the crime was done. This/these perp are very familiar with the area, either lives or lived there or are or have travelled Beech Grove Sdrd. frequently via job related activities. No doubt in my mind, since the 'drop of spot' is possible tho most desolate area, in the south easterly direction, between the victims home and 'the spot', about 11 km.
It will only be a matter of a short time before the perp/perps gets the cuffs on, and I also think there are surveillance going on in the right direction therefore the perp/perps will be sweating bullets and looking over the shoulders, he/they will make a mistake. Trust me, mistake will happen.
H.

Thanks for the information regarding the roads and conditions around there Hawk-ii. It is a big help when posters are local.

I agree that the person was likely familiar with the area, either living or working there. Any ideas on what kind of job related activites would have someone driving around those sideroads?

So do you think that LE may have a suspect(s) under surveillance but they are waiting on all of the crime scene analysis from the lab to make an arrest?

From where Sonia lived to where her car was found is about a 90 second drive if hurrying, and less if you are driving like a knob. I drove it last night, and it occurred to me that if the killer wanted to ditch her car ASAP, and transfer the body to his own, he would have that freedom within seconds of the neighbours hearing the squealing of tires, and potentially calling the police.

Transferring her body to another car in that laneway would appear that this was a premeditated murder IMO. Is the area where her car was left the most secluded spot close to where she lived to do this though? It would seem to me that there could be more secluded spots than a laneway behind the main street and the town hall if someone planned to park some distance from her home and go over there. I would think that in any town or city, the one place where you could count on video surveillance and people being out and about at all hours of the day or night would be near the main street through town where there are a lot of businesses. Some businesses, like restaurants serving breakfast or bakeries open very early so there was possibly a risk that someone may have been around the area.

MOO

A month has passed since Orangeville’s Sonia Varaschin was murdered and there are still no arrests. Police say, however, the investigation isn’t going to turn into a cold case anytime soon.

“It’s still very active. There’s still an awful lot of work being done behind the scenes and hopefully the day will come in the near future where we’re able to speak further to that,” said

Const. Peter Leon, central region communications officer for the OPP.

“The team that’s been assembled ... continues to follow up and investigate any information that comes in on the tip line. They’re leaving no stone unturned.”

Leon declined to comment on how close police are to catching Sonia’s killer, or the list of suspects, for fear it may compromise the case.

“They’re certainly looking at every possible individual,” he said of the investigative team. “Suffice to say, we’re certainly hopeful that in the near future we’ll be able to have some closure with regards to the investigation.”

http://www.orangeville.com/news/loc...aschin-murder-investigation-still-very-active

Transferring her body to another car in that laneway would appear that this was a premeditated murder IMO. Is the area where her car was left the most secluded spot close to where she lived to do this though? It would seem to me that there could be more secluded spots than a laneway behind the main street and the town hall if someone planned to park some distance from her home and go over there. I would think that in any town or city, the one place where you could count on video surveillance and people being out and about at all hours of the day or night would be near the main street through town where there are a lot of businesses. Some businesses, like restaurants serving breakfast or bakeries open very early so there was possibly a risk that someone may have been around the area.

MOO
I'm not saying this is what happened. Nor am I saying this killer is particularly bright. I just thought it was odd that the access to where she lived and where her car was located is so close.

In the end, I am convinced the LE has a suspect, and they are waiting for confirmation on DNA etc. With the media being so quiet and no further information from the police, they must be close. It will probably end up being someone she knew.

I'm not saying this is what happened. Nor am I saying this killer is particularly bright. I just thought it was odd that the access to where she lived and where her car was located is so close.

In the end, I am convinced the LE has a suspect, and they are waiting for confirmation on DNA etc. With the media being so quiet and no further information from the police, they must be close. It will probably end up being someone she knew.

That car thing is odd abberline. Probably the one part of all of this that just doesn't make sense..well to us anyway. Let's hope you are right and that it all makes sense to LE at this point and that they have zeroed in on one person and are waiting for results.

MOO

Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole thing- but have been following your posts for the last month or so. As someone who is local to the area, I want nothing more than for this case to be solved quickly, so that closure can come to the family and the area resident's can feel safe again.
Some thoughts I've had, and these are just my opinions, I can't get the fact of the whole Baywinds incidents out of my head, as a lot of it makes so much sense. Someone could easily have walked from any downtown establishment after imbibing a few to her house, maybe wasn't intending on the eventual outcome, had to try and delay the LE for some time by dumping her body, and then needing to get rid of the car. If the person resided on the south side, there are plenty of areas behind the businesses to drop the car. But not being so bright, and thinking of his/ her self, decided to drop the car on the north side of the street- walking through the dark backsteets to the Baywinds or another residence nearby. I believe the person responsible had run into Sonia at some point, wasn't happy with her response, and resides nearby where the car was dropped. the boots weren't planned, just whatever they were wearing at the time. As for the location of where Sonia was found, there are a few different ways they could have gotten there. Down Wiloughby ( sp?) to Beechgrove and accross until it was obscure enough, an a couple of other ways people have mentioned already. I'm sure LE have looked into all these paths of travel. I'm just thinking of dumping evidence along the way- weapon etc. Going across HWY 9 to Mountainview would be too risky going thru town and all. Sideroads are dark.
I had to get that out. Again, these are jmo's. Not hearing anything for a few weeks has been frustrating. I want this person caught asap, pay dearly for the horrible crime they comitted, so that the rest of us locals can get on with our lives and feel safe.
Thx for letting me vent.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole thing- but have been following your posts for the last month or so. As someone who is local to the area, I want nothing more than for this case to be solved quickly, so that closure can come to the family and the area resident's can feel safe again.
Some thoughts I've had, and these are just my opinions, I can't get the fact of the whole Baywinds incidents out of my head, as a lot of it makes so much sense. Someone could easily have walked from any downtown establishment after imbibing a few to her house, maybe wasn't intending on the eventual outcome, had to try and delay the LE for some time by dumping her body, and then needing to get rid of the car. If the person resided on the south side, there are plenty of areas behind the businesses to drop the car. But not being so bright, and thinking of his/ her self, decided to drop the car on the north side of the street- walking through the dark backsteets to the Baywinds or another residence nearby. I believe the person responsible had run into Sonia at some point, wasn't happy with her response, and resides nearby where the car was dropped. the boots weren't planned, just whatever they were wearing at the time. As for the location of where Sonia was found, there are a few different ways they could have gotten there. Down Wiloughby ( sp?) to Beechgrove and accross until it was obscure enough, an a couple of other ways people have mentioned already. I'm sure LE have looked into all these paths of travel. I'm just thinking of dumping evidence along the way- weapon etc. Going across HWY 9 to Mountainview would be too risky going thru town and all. Sideroads are dark.
I had to get that out. Again, these are jmo's. Not hearing anything for a few weeks has been frustrating. I want this person caught asap, pay dearly for the horrible crime they comitted, so that the rest of us locals can get on with our lives and feel safe.
Thx for letting me vent.

:Welcome-12-june:

Thanks for your input here at WS! You make very good points as well.

Hi Haylee and welcome to WS.
Good to see more locals on here.

Thx for letting me vent.

Welcome Haylee. Thanks for your thoughts on this case. I tend to agree with you that it seems as though the perpetrator might have accomplished most of this crime on foot, with the exception of moving her body in her own vehicle. There also seems to be a lot of low rise apartment buildings very close to where the car was left. Perhaps a single person living alone in one of these units? I'm sure, as a local, you are anxious for a resolution to this case so that you may feel safe again and I hope that comes about soon.

MOO

Thx everyone for your 'Welcomes'.
I have a feeling that LE have a very good idea of who the perp was - and they're just trying to ensure al their T's are crossed, and their i's dotted. Between the 3 crime scenes, they must have quite a lot of evidence, and it's a only a matter of time. This perp wasn't perfect...
Until then, we'll just band together, stay safe, and keep our ears and eyes open.

Thx everyone for your 'Welcomes'.
I have a feeling that LE have a very good idea of who the perp was - and they're just trying to ensure al their T's are crossed, and their i's dotted. Between the 3 crime scenes, they must have quite a lot of evidence, and it's a only a matter of time. This perp wasn't perfect...
Until then, we'll just band together, stay safe, and keep our ears and eyes open.

I agree with you, I feel very strongly they know who they are looking for just want to make sure its air tight. I hope its soon though would be nice for the family to finally get some closure

My thoughts are with Sonia and her family today as they prepare to say goodbye.

R.I.P. Sonia :rose:

My condolences to those who knew and loved Sonia on this day of her funeral. She was an angel to sick and dying children and it takes a very strong, caring and special person to do a job like that. RIP Sonia. :crying:

I have noticed a pattern in certain police investigations. Often an arrest will be made within days after a funeral.

Wonderful article from the posted link above. May her family find peace today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member