Southeast States - AL, AR, LA, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN - Weather Discussion

got the AC running full blast--It is now NINETY-ONE DEGREES heat index outside here in Palm beach county--yikes--Bring on the cool wave

Death Toll has just risen to 19 according to FOX news.

Death Toll just raised to 19 poor souls--Probably all deaths came from the mobile homes--no basements in those things--F3 tornados can pack winds up to 160 mph

Indian River County is counting its blessings. Everyone safe and sound. The reports I heard from employees when I got to work in western IRC was how awful the day was. Again all safe, but a little shook up after hearing the sad news from central Florida.

very sad :(

Why does it seem Tornados strike where trailer parks are?
Very weird.
Does New Orleans normally have tornados?
This weather is something else.

i don't think tornadoes just happen to be attracted to trailer parks... although it sure does seem that way, doesn't it?

it's just that when tornados do hit an area, they are going to destroy the trailers before anything else. also it does seem that areas more prone to tornadoes (the south) are also more impoverished, and subsequently, you are more likely to have more trailer parks there.

michelle said:
That is so sad.
----------------

It is so sad.My heart goes out to these people.trailers are easy prey as they are not as secure as a house.In my area on must have tie downs for the Insurance to be in effect,still they are prone.After reading of the tornadoes I realized even with 17" of snow on the ground we here in NorthEast Ohio are not so bad off.
Michelle~prayers for your brother Sweetie.We had a Marine come home last Fall~thank God he is able to walk again.~Humvee explosion..Prayers going out.

THIS is how you prepare for a Hurricane....Texas style....

www.foxnews.com (see the briefing by Texas)

I wouldn't be surprised if the hurricane bounced off Texas! :D ;)

Cal

it's a lot easier to prepare when you have that much warning,huh?
Also, when you do these preparations about 5 or 6 times a year, it gets old. I think people were tired of "preparing" for hurricanes when Katrina hit. I'm in Mississippi and we were forced to evacuate 5 times in 2004, and 2 times in 2005 before Katrina hit. My husband was in the air force, and they decided with Katrina he needed to shelter, but me and the kids evacuated. We were so tired of these evacuations that turned out to be nothing that the last thing we said to each other (the DAY before katrina hit) was "see ya on tuesday". If I had only known the horror he was about to endure...

Also, when you do these preparations about 5 or 6 times a year, it gets old. I think people were tired of "preparing" for hurricanes when Katrina hit. I'm in Mississippi and we were forced to evacuate 5 times in 2004, and 2 times in 2005 before Katrina hit. My husband was in the air force, and they decided with Katrina he needed to shelter, but me and the kids evacuated. We were so tired of these evacuations that turned out to be nothing that the last thing we said to each other (the DAY before katrina hit) was "see ya on tuesday". If I had only known the horror he was about to endure...

Thank you for that eyewitness account, Missie. It's a great description of human nature and one we should all keep in mind.

(It's a similar process here in California with earthquakes. We get periodic warnings that big ones are overdue and annual reminders to stock up on supplies. But as years go by without a large tremor, we tend to get lax.)

:blowkiss:

I hate to think how Kinky Friedman would have prepared for our hurricanes -

"Hey, get out your cigar; put on your hat, sing a little music, and WATCH IT BLOW, FOLKS"

(I know Kinky well, and sure is a good thing he didn't win. Friends don't let friends, be guvner)

The other side of Katrina is now hyper readiness. No where near us yet and their are new evacuation plans, store runs, gov already put into place a call for state of emergency etc. Won't catch us with our drawers down as my mama says.

My dh's main office is in Tampa, every branch is in a hurricane prone area of the coast. We are the only ones that are on mandatory evac every single time a hurricane comes into the gulf. I'd say that's carrying it too far myself.

Not to mention the glee that the news and weather folks are showing. It's like they have some perverse need for it to be bad and if they talk about it long enough, loud enough and make enough predictions based on what if, it will happen.

BhamMama-I totally agree with you about the hyper-rediness,I'm just worried that people will get tired of it once again and start slacking off.

You guys are so sweet-I wasn't expecting all the kudos for my post. :blushing: Seriously-I was extremely blessed (not lucky, blessed-as my MIL says) as far as all of that went.

BhamMama-I totally agree with you about the hyper-rediness,I'm just worried that people will get tired of it once again and start slacking off.

You guys are so sweet-I wasn't expecting all the kudos for my post. :blushing: Seriously-I was extremely blessed (not lucky, blessed-as my MIL says) as far as all of that went.

15 years ago (today actually) South Florida was hit by cat 5 Hurricane Andrew.
Although people may become laxed the state of Fl did improve their methods for emergencies and how they evacuate and to this day 15 years later those methods are still in place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back