Ohio State Marching Band Director Fired

Wow, big news for Ohio! There is more to this story, what is not being told?

The recording furnished by the drum major is nothing compared to the way football and basketball coaches scream, yell, curse, belittle, and degrade their players! And what about "behind the scenes" and road trips with these two groups?

Traditions of long ago have probably escalated thru the years just as the behavior of children has.
These children that are now adults in college were raised in the "ME" generation. That brings a
whole new generation of spoiled kids viewing life in a manner that we WS or college administrators are not use to dealing with. Yes, it's time to change or stop traditions. Did Dr. Drake issue that instruction to Jon Walters at any time, or put in writing what had to be changed?

Just don't buy that as many years as Jon Walters has been involved with this band that he was fired for the reason given!

My opinions only and I do not have any ties to OSU or people involved!

Wow, big news for Ohio! There is more to this story, what is not being told?

The recording furnished by the drum major is nothing compared to the way football and basketball coaches scream, yell, curse, belittle, and degrade their players! And what about "behind the scenes" and road trips with these two groups?

Traditions of long ago have probably escalated thru the years just as the behavior of children has.
These children that are now adults in college were raised in the "ME" generation. That brings a
whole new generation of spoiled kids viewing life in a manner that we WS or college administrators are not use to dealing with. Yes, it's time to change or stop traditions. Did Dr. Drake issue that instruction to Jon Walters at any time, or put in writing what had to be changed?

Just don't buy that as many years as Jon Walters has been involved with this band that he was fired for the reason given!

My opinions only and I do not have any ties to OSU or people involved!

Respectfully, I do not think this is a generational matter. There were plenty of harmful practices back in the day that have been discontinued that the current generation finds abhorrent. (i.e. "smear the queer," multiple horror stories of fraternity hazing practices in the 1950s, etc.).

Respectfully, I do not think this is a generational matter. There were plenty of harmful practices back in the day that have been discontinued that the current generation finds abhorrent. (i.e. "smear the queer," multiple horror stories of fraternity hazing practices in the 1950s, etc.).

I am not stating that the traditions should continue. One can only imagine how bad they have gotten as the world has changed and each generation sees things totally different than the previous one.

What goes on today is different than when my children were in college or when I was in college "back in the day". Thanks for your view. :seeya:

My only response to this, since I don't know what he was told, is he was a band member for 4 years, then he was hired in when he finished school. He has been involved with them for at least the last 15 years, so I would think that all of these "shennanigans" were quite familiar to him. If you read the investigation report, he has been talked to for a while about this stuff. I don't think he had the desire or maybe the leadership to clean this up. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back