OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Sheriff tells citizens to arm themselves...on the first page I counted at least 7 different sheriffs urging citizens to arm themselves for reasons ranging from terrorist attacks, to gun control reform laws to recent crimes. There was a judge in northeast Ohio a few years ago who told people to arm themselves when they cut the sheriff's department budget. It's a pretty common thing to hear.

These small counties, villages, etc. do have major problems with budget cuts in recent years. Most are struggling to provide basic services. It's a shame.

Here's a link to an in-depth article the Cleveland Plain Dealer did recently showing the negative impact of the governor's tax cuts (CAT and estate taxes) on local government budgets. The article has a searchable database where you can see how much money various counties, towns, cities and villages have lost. It's pretty bad.

Ohio tax changes under Gov. John Kasich leave villages, cities scrambling to cope with less (database)

A lot of these towns and cities have had to lay off law enforcement officers. The three towns in Pike County have lost nearly $300,000 in tax revenue.

How long would it have taken to reload to let off 30 something shots?
Without knowing the type of gun who knows. I have a 9mm with a 30 round magazine, so zero seconds. It takes less than a second for a good shooter to drop a magazine and reload. A revolver would take about 2 seconds to reload.

No twitter? How about @hannarhoden? (not hard to guess) and @rhoden_chris?

Although there was something on Twitter, I did not find much. They weren't very active on twitter as far as I can tell.

Yes but no activity since 2014. I was looking for clues about recent conflicts. I wish we could see those Instagram accounts. That's where my teen daughter hangs out!

The Dixie Mafia is located in the deep South. It does sound like what was called the "Cornbread Mafia" that was busted up back in the early 90's. Very similar pattern actually.

I am just now learning more about it by Google of course .. I did run across how a tv show had used the Dixie mafia as the storyline for the show it was all taking place supposed to be in Kentucky. I know that is a fictional story justified is but wow the similarities are real I can say that .. it maybe loosely based off of dixie mafia but no doubt something like that group exists in real life and pike county looks like the ideal homestead for this type..

Without knowing the type of gun who knows. I have a 9mm with a 30 round magazine, so zero seconds. It takes less than a second for a good shooter to drop a magazine and reload. A revolver would take about 2 seconds to reload.
Oh ok thanks

How long would it have taken to reload to let off 30 something shots?

So quick. There's extended mags too that hold a lot of ammo.. Doesn't take much to get off 30 rounds. I just took a pistol class and for every exercise - which was like 5-10 minutes shot about 45-60 rounds. And that was with zero haste.

This is wonderful news. They DO have latent prints most likely in blood and trace evidence and DNA evidence too. Now I hope and pray that they will get a hit on CODIS for the latent prints they have found or the DNA profile has already been entered due to an previous arrest.

It is very rare for a suspect to commit a perfect crime even though tv shows like to imply that can happen often. They usually leave a part of themselves behind and it seems they did so in this case.

Now I feel more a peace that this case will be solved.

I agree oceanblueeyes, there is no such thing as the perfect crime. There are only imperfect or incomplete investigations where all available investigative resources aren't utilized, imo..Hopefully all available resources will be used in this investigation and the families will receive justice..

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-do-so-many-murders-go-unsolved-2015-3
America's cops aren't solving as many murders — here are some theories about why

Why do so many murders go unsolved - Business Insider

Mar 30, 2015 - America's cops aren't solving as many murders — here are some theories about why ... Five decades ago, it was above 90%. This statistic means that 200,000 murders have gone unsolved since 1960, NPR note..
<snipped - read more>

This is from the Department of Justice re Appalachian drug trafficking - does not technically include Ohio but this general area of Ohio touches WV and Kentucky (Ashland KY is one hour away, Huntington WV just beyond that, route 23 goes right there):

"Cannabis cultivation and subsequent marijuana distribution and abuse pose a considerable threat to the Appalachia HIDTA region, as evidenced by the large amount of cannabis cultivated in the region, the level of violence associated with cannabis cultivation,..."

"Mexican DTOs and criminal groups13 are the principal wholesale drug distributors in the Appalachia HIDTA region; African American, Caucasian, and Mexican DTOs and criminal groups as well as street gangs and outlaw motorcycle gangs (OMGs) distribute a variety of drugs at the retail level and midlevel throughout the region."
https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs32/32761/drugover.htm

And check out these unbelievable numbers. It's an enormous business, I had no idea:

" Kentucky's eradicated marijuana crop for 1999 yielded plants valued at $787,088,000..... Tennessee's eradicated marijuana crop for 1999 yielded plants valued at $628,226,000..... West Virginia's eradicated marijuana crop for 1999 yielded plants valued at $70,728,000"

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publications/enforce/hidta2001/appl-fs.html

Yes people would kill over a threat to their piece of that.

Depending on the caliber and gun type.. A shot to the extremities could take a limb off.

Exactly this. A 12 gauge at close range will transform an ankle or knee into a stump.

Until they release caliber/type of weapon everything is speculation. A .22 short with a light load (which would be extremely quiet) may take 9 shots to stop someone from moving, even if all 9 shots would have ultimately been fatal. 9 shots from a 44 magnum would turn the same person into swiss cheese. 9 shots from a 12 gauge at close range would likely make them unrecognizable as a human.

Links to the Newsome murders in Scioto County. A mother and daughter were shot in their home (mobile home) in the middle of the night. Their bodies were found the next day. According to news articles, the mother and daughter were the only ones who lived there. The mother's brother lived nearby, over a hill. He said he heard some funny noises that night but didn't think anything of it.

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/4757/two-females-found-dead-on-blue-run

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Mother-and-daughter-found-dead-in-Scioto-County--364128731.html

http://www.tristateupdate.com/story/30882313/investigators-say-double-homicide-near-minford-may-have-been-drug-related

In context, the quote about was referring to the mother. Police had been to the home before.

I'm still trying to find info on the other murder that has been mentioned that is similar but two young kids left alive and a husband and wife.

So quick. There's extended mags too that hold a lot of ammo.. Doesn't take much to get off 30 rounds. I just took a pistol class and for every exercise - which was like 5-10 minutes shot about 45-60 rounds. And that was with zero haste.

That's something the 9 & 5 shots to single bodies got me thinking about.

If a person is accustomed to firing a semi-auto at ranges, at cans, etc. in rapid succession rather than controlled firing, muscle memory could kick in under a stressful situation (such as shooting a person) resulting in "overkill."

As a person continued under stress, they could get more relaxed and controlled.

A professional would likely have trained their self to fire only what it necessary.

Just some thoughts.

I believe that the Chillicothe serial killer shops around for prostitutes or women at risk (drug users, homeless, etc). This doesn't look like the right pattern.

Yeah that was what I had said also and then a serial killer killing 7 there together just didn't fit for me and for sure not when the 8th was discovered.

Have a million for 200 plants, I think not...lol

They never said it was ONLY 200 plants. 200 plants were found at one indoor location. There were more found at two other crime scene locations and for all we know it could have been multiple sites at those two locations. It could be 1000 plants for all we know. No source ever said it was a total of 200. That number was just for the amount found at one indoor site at one crime scene location.

I missed alot last night...
trying to catch up on previous thread- Okay, so dogs are missing? That was confirmed that they were possibly shot?

I know it's been confirmed they are missing but I didn't read anything that said they were shot/dead.
I saw this posted earlier, but I don't know whether to believe it or not. It's from the DM, so take it with a grain of salt.

It was confirmed that there were two pit bulls in one of the houses and that in another chickens were being bred for illicit *advertiser censored* fighting and gambling operations.

Confirmed by WHO?? We still don't know if the dogs are alive.
Somebody needs to ask Leonard about the dogs, because HE would absolutely tell you :wink: Bless his heart, he seems to think he has to let anybody interview him that's asks. Right about now though, he has to be one of LE's worst nightmares. I honestly think he is completely in denial, or better yet...completely in the dark about all of this. I think a lot gets past him. Maybe talking about his losses is a coping mechanism for him.
He's had a lot of losses, almost his entire family was wiped out in one single day. He just wants people to remember they were victims of a horrible massacre, and they were loved. :heartbeat:

I'm thinking he must have gotten his son's truck back.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nies-family-involved-drugs.html#ixzz46xfV6dnS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We are talking 4 locations, and an unknown number of shooters, and an unknown number of weapons. It's possible that no reloading was required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah