Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell, 16, Augusta, 17 April 2017 *mom & stepdad arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. For missing persons cases in general, I think it really depends on the circumstances of each case, and the LE agency investigating it.

With Latania's case, I really don't understand.

There is only one post about the case on the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office FB page: https://www.facebook.com/RichmondCo...5249428654151/751400371705717/?type=3&theater

And I don't believe they've issued any kind of alert. Apparently, Georgia has its own version of Amber Alert called "Levi's Call":
"Levi's Call is an investigative tool that can be activated only by local law enforcement agencies through a request to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).
Activation Criteria
Before Levi's Call can be activated, the following Alert Criteria must be met:
  • Law enforcement officials have a reasonable belief that an abduction has occurred.
  • Law enforcement officials believe that the child is in imminent danger or serious bodily injury or death.
  • Enough descriptive information exists about the victim and the abductor for law enforcement to issue a Levi's Call: Georgia's AMBER Alert.
  • The victim of the abduction is a child age 17 years or younger.
  • The child's name and other critical data elements - including the child abduction (CA) and AMBER Alert (AA) flags - have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
Activation will not be granted for:
  • Non-custodial abductions where no danger exists to the child
  • Runaways
Overuse of Levi's Call will cause the program to be ineffective."
https://gbi.georgia.gov/levis-call

It seems to me that Latania's case meets all of the criteria. No clothing description, but they have description of the truck Latania and Leon are believed to be in, and its plate number, their height, and their appearances.

Latania might have gone willingly, but if the mom did not hear or see them leave, how do we know Leon didn't force her to go with him? C'mon, she just turned 16 on the day she disappeared :(.

With no alert, so little media coverage, and no searches that I am aware of, I feel like no one is looking for her.

I really, really hope this doesn't mean LE has nothing to go on, or that they are not taking this case seriously. My other concern is that they have found evidence that leads them in a different direction ... and I really don't want to go there :(.

There was not an Amber Alert or any other alert.
Please come home, Latania & I pray your safe.

I posted the posters again on my FB a few days ago, and I got some shares probably due to stressing how important it is we get this story & their pictures out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Family offers reward, pleas for return of missing teen and stepdad"

"...
The past 11 days have been hard for the mother of 16-year-old LaTania Carwell.

'I’m not eating. I’m not sleeping. I’m just worried about my family,' said Tanya Tripp, LaTania’s mother. 'If y’all see them please call authorities and help my family get home.'
'I got her because you’re sick and he said I didn’t want to bother you so I asked our daughter would she go and help me find Maurice,' Tripp said, adding that she had cancer and a few other illnesses. 'He said he had a call from a friend who was stuck on the side of the road in Clarks Hill.'

Tripp said family calls her daughter by her middle name, Janell. The T.W. Josey Comprehensive High School sophomore has earned several awards for her school work and her uncle said he knows she’s a good kid, looking into the medical field.

'She knows how to cook, clean. [She is] Very well groomed. Very well spoken. She’s smart. I just believe she’s in a situation where she can’t get on the phone and call uncle, mom or some kind of relative,' Charles Carwell told us. 'By now, she would have reached out or walked in the door on her own by now.'

Carwell is Tanya Tripp’s brother and he said he isn’t sold on the reason why Janell and her stepdad left.

'It’s almost as if it was premeditated because this girl goes missing on her 16th birthday. How she was brought out the house just doesn’t sit well with me.
'
The family is hoping media in the Atlanta area picks up the story too because that is where the family said the cell phones last appeared. Tripp said her husband has family there too.

Carwell added there is a $500 reward for anyone offering information that will help bring the pair home."
(BBM)
http://wjbf.com/2017/04/28/family-offers-reward-pleas-for-return-of-missing-teen-and-stepdad/

I find it interesting that it's the mom's brother who is saying that (i.e., the BBM part). It sounds like he is the logical, more level-headed one. The mom, on the other hand ... :thinking:.

I cannot believe there isn't more coverage with this story. I'm going to spend some time on this case. How scary for her!

I cannot believe there isn't more coverage with this story. I'm going to spend some time on this case. How scary for her!

It truly is shocking how little attention this case has received, isn't it? Of course it doesn't help that her mother is in denial that her husband has likely groomed Latania. If she was in the media begging him to bring Latania back safe, or asking people to be on the lookout for him or turn him in, then there would be more coverage.

LE isn't helping either. It's like they don't care. Why don't they want more people looking? I hope they aren't sitting there just writing this situation off because Latania is at the age of consent and "likely" (their possible view) voluntarily ran off.

Just compare this case to the Tadd Cummins case. Even if 1/20th of the attention was paid it would be a big step up. :banghead:

Not a teacher, not salacious enough, imo. And if the parent is not front and center and vocal...smh

I am praying she is still alive.

I didn't think anything like that would happen, at first. But I thought she would have turned up by now. Maybe we'd have to use initials, but she'd be home safe.

But as time goes on, I do worry about that. Is he going to be worried about getting caught and feels she is slowing him down----and she will be a witness? ugh.....

Why is everyone assuming they ran off together and not that he took the girl, murdered her and is now on the run? [emoji848]

And "He immediately answered and he said babe I'm sorry. I know what you are fixing to say. I have Janelle." --If I heard my husband leave in the night, my question would be "where are you going?" not "do you have my daughter with you?" And what was he apologizing for?

Then Uncle says "How she was brought out the house just doesn't sit well with me." Um, what? How was she brought out? And what is this talk about age of consent? What difference does that make? Even if she wanted to go, it's still an abduction if an adult takes off with a 16 year old.

Seriously weird stuff going on here. The mom not reporting it is super weird. It was the girl's birthday - surely they had something planned, even if it was just a special dinner or a cake?

"Cell phones last appeared" is an odd phrase to use

Plus, all of this information is coming from the family and not LE: "The family is hoping media in the Atlanta area picks up the story too because that is where the family said the cell phones last appeared."
(BBM)

Could the ongoing silence on the part of LE mean whatever evidence they might have discovered is to the contrary? Maybe they are letting the mom talk until she "slips up," contradicts herself/changes her "story," or realizes it probably isn't a good idea for someone in her position to keep talking, which may give LE enough circumstantial evidence to obtain a search warrant (I'm not sure if the inside of the home has been searched; at leas I haven't seen anything indicating that it has)?

I really, really hate talking like this about the mom of a sixteen-year-old who is missing along with a violent felon, but ... for one thing, she did not report them missing for at least three days -which, by the way, if they did leave in the early morning hours of Monday, did anyone outside of the family see Latania after Friday, when she would have been in school?-, and to the best of my knowledge, she has always asked "her family" to come back. She has never said anything like, "Leon, bring Latania back." Kinda weird, IMO.

In the comments at the link above, there are a couple of photos of Leon showing *distinctive* facial & neck tattoos which are not really visible/mentioned in the flyers I've seen.

Has he had them removed (in which case there would be some scarring or traces worth mentioning)?? Or did who ever supplied the photos not think that showing/mentioning the tattoos is important?

In the comments at the link above, there are a couple of photos of Leon showing *distinctive* facial & neck tattoos which are not really visible/mentioned in the flyers I've seen.

Has he had them removed (in which case there would be some scarring or traces worth mentioning)?? Or did who ever supplied the photos not think that showing/mentioning the tattoos is important?

I would suggest a tat in the middle of your face would be a fairly distinguishing identifier. Might as well be a red flag saying "hey, notice me!"

So they disappear in the middle of the night to go help out "Maurice". Who's Maurice? Have LE located him and corroborated the story that he was having car trouble and phoned Leon?
His truck is located, but they're nowhere to be found. What are they traveling in, if not his truck?
Any banking activity from either of them?
Any of Janell's SM accounts active or have any of her friends heard from her?

Way too many unanswered questions here.

Why is everyone assuming they ran off together and not that he took the girl, murdered her and is now on the run? [emoji848]

And "He immediately answered and he said babe I'm sorry. I know what you are fixing to say. I have Janelle." --If I heard my husband leave in the night, my question would be "where are you going?" not "do you have my daughter with you?" And what was he apologizing for?

Then Uncle says "How she was brought out the house just doesn't sit well with me." Um, what? How was she brought out? And what is this talk about age of consent? What difference does that make? Even if she wanted to go, it's still an abduction if an adult takes off with a 16 year old.

Seriously weird stuff going on here. The mom not reporting it is super weird. It was the girl's birthday - surely they had something planned, even if it was just a special dinner or a cake?

The significance of the age of consent is that an adult can't be charged for having consensual sex with her. So if she went willingly and "simply" ran away with him, there is nothing LE can do. Of course that's far different than if she went unwillingly or if she initially went willingly and then wasn't allowed to leave him.

I am leaning toward the scenario where she ran away with him willingly simply because it was her 16th birthday. If he was going to harm her there would have been no point waiting for her 16th birthday.

Having said that, that doesn't mean she isn't at risk of being harmed...after all he is a manipulator looking out for himself.

So it states that the truck they left in was found???

Yep. The truck they left in was found less than a mile from the home. So...

a.) run off the road/pulled over for some reason & taken by... someone?
b.) LT had another car parked somewhere
c.) got out and walked away
d.) stopped the truck, got out and stole a car

??

Yep. The truck they left in was found less than a mile from the home. So...

a.) run off the road/pulled over for some reason & taken by... someone?
b.) LT had another car parked somewhere
c.) got out and walked away
d.) stopped the truck, got out and stole a car

??
Wondering if anything of evidentiary value was found inside the truck ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member