Questions Specifically for Benjaman

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oklahoma City Bombing? Tornadoes? Major weather events such as blizzards, floods, etc?

We also have to realize he has been at this for a long time. Many questions as to preferences such as foods and other things have been covered by him personally if they could unlock any memory of the past.

I can imagine in 5 years he has redeveloped his sense of taste and likes according to what he has eaten after he was found. Perhaps it is not teh best indication of his favored tastes from before. Experience with food is memory based, imo. Our likes and dislikes come from trying the foods, the texture preferences, the way we see the foods, and our sense of smell. If we don't care for one of those, we don't want to try it again. This can be skewed by the way it was cooked or prepared among other things dating back to our childhoods. Could his tastes have completely changed or are they the same as before?

Thanks for stating it so nicely SS-perhaps we can also give him a pass on questions he likely has either considered or has been asked numerous times before so he doesn't feel like he is being pressured to repeat himself.

We also have to realize he has been at this for a long time. Many questions as to preferences such as foods and other things have been covered by him personally if they could unlock any memory of the past.

I can imagine in 5 years he has redeveloped his sense of taste and likes according to what he has eaten after he was found. Perhaps it is not teh best indication of his favored tastes from before. Experience with food is memory based, imo. Our likes and dislikes come from trying the foods, the texture preferences, the way we see the foods, and our sense of smell. If we don't care for one of those, we don't want to try it again. This can be skewed by the way it was cooked or prepared among other things dating back to our childhoods. Could his tastes have completely changed or are they the same as before?

I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss:

I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss: If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense.
True enough, but the point is you remember trying them to discern the tastes you prefer. He doesn't have those memories even from his adulthood to fall back on now. Would he remember the taste of those foods? Would his taste buds have the same preferences today as they did then? I guess this is my question. (It was not really about childhood food memories, but food/taste memories in general.)

I understand what you are saying SS. I get cravings for my mothers home made meatballs even though I haven't had them in prolly 25 years. (When I was preggo, I started craving peas with vidalia onions which I hadn't had since childhood. Not that MR. Kyle is gonna have any preggo cravings, lol. ;). Just using that as an example of mmories of foods I was fond of as a child.

NW Indiana is within the broadcast range of Chicago news. If Mr. Kyle is from the NW area of Indiana he may have memories of the following:

The Our Lady of Angels School fire, Dec 1, 1958. which tragically took the lives of 92 students and nuns. ( Sorry to suggest such a tragic event, but being a Catholic school, and a profound impact on those of us who are or were Catholic in the area. This may be an event you remember.)

The Blizzard of 1967- the greatest amount of snowfall in 24 hours in Chicago's history. 23" in 24 hours. It pretty much shut down the city for days. the NW area of Indiana would have also been affected, and was often affected by 'Lake Effect' snow. You may recall this event.

TY Mr. Kyle, and please do not feel obligated to answer each and every question asked of you here. Answer what you believe may be relevent to assisting in your identification. We fully understand and appreciate very much your taking the time to participate here at WS. :blowkiss:

I think most of the basic questions have been answered or the ones Benjaman Kyle chose to answer the other day.
Saying that, I don't think we should exclude any question.
But we could think twice about the question before we post it.

Bejaman, do you have any recollection of significant events in history and where you were at the time, such as JFK's assasination, the fall of Saigon, Woodstock, the first moon landing, the fall of the Berlin wall, 911?

Do you have any recollection of serving in the armed forces in Viet Nam? Signing up for selective servce? Being drafted?

I was thinking that from what I understand...if young men were going to college during Vietnam then they didnt have to serve (correct me if i am wrong someone?) and since he recalls being at college in Colorado and has had elbow surgery..could he have been on a sports scholarship during Vietnam? Has he posted his face on Classmates at different colleges?

As for asking questions, you never know which questions will trigger something from Benjaman's past. With that being said, I personally don't won't to overwhelm him or NB either.

Maybe we could do like a limit on a daily, or weekly basis, or whatever NB and Benjaman would be comfortable with, as for asking questions.

JMHO, any thoughts on this?

My mom suggested Jim Lounsbury who had a local show much like Dick Clarks American Bandstand. It would have been broadcast in the NE IL and NW IN area..... She remembers it on WGN TV ( channel 9).

He's before my time, so I copied this from his wiki page.

Jim Lounsbury ([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_24"]February 24[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923"]1923[/ame] in Colo, Iowa – [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_8"]January 8[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006"]2006[/ame] in Tucson, Arizona) was an early pioneer in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll"]rock and roll music[/ame], hosting many of the first rock and roll [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_program"]radio programs[/ame] ([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIND"]WIND[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYLL"]WJJD[/ame], Chicago, WOR, New York) and later many rock and roll [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_show"]television shows[/ame], including Jim Lounsbury's Sock Hop, "Bandstand Matinee"', and The Record Hop (WGN and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBKB"]WBKB[/ame], Chicago), as well as hosting many local record hops in the Chicago area in the 1950s and '60s, and occasionally guest-hosting for Dick Clark on [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bandstand"]American Bandstand[/ame]. He also hosted one of the last shows with Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens, in Kenosha, Wisconsin on January 24, 1959, on the Winter Dance Party tour. Later in his career, he was well known as a radio [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News"]news[/ame] journalist and ended his career as the national news anchor for UPI Radio News.
Lounsbury retired to Tucson, Arizona in the early 1980s.

Ring a bell? I don't know what he looks like, but could google image and see if a pic from the show is around the net.

(Yes, I am probing mom and her SO for help, since they are a little older than Mr. Kyle. :) )
index_r03_c5.jpg

One more 'dumb' question. How do you pronounce Chicago?

Do you say "Chi cah' go" - with a broad A as in swan,
or "Chi Caw go"? like the way a hawks crow would sound. One is specific to the northern burbs or North of Chi town, the other the south burbs blue collar regions.

It may help.... there were also some Burger Chef locations in Waukegan and Schaumburg in the Chicago area's.

If I am in a formal situation a would be very careful to pronounce it properly(as a news anchorman might) In a casual I wo0uld get some amusement out of saying "chi-cah-ga":crazy:

I understand what you are saying SS. I get cravings for my mothers home made meatballs even though I haven't had them in prolly 25 years. (When I was preggo, I started craving peas with vidalia onions which I hadn't had since childhood. Not that MR. Kyle is gonna have any preggo cravings, lol. ;). Just using that as an example of mmories of foods I was fond of as a child.
I sure hope that I am not going to have any "preggo" cravings! On the other hand, I could get back in the National Enquirer again - only this time I would have a lawyer to make sure that they followed through on their promises to pay me.:dance::dance:

I have to respectfully disagree SS. My tastes in food as an adult are very very different than when I was a child. Simply because I have been exposed to a greater variety of foods I was never exposed to as a child. For example, while my family is of Polish decent, as an adult I developed a dislike for bland heavy foods. I had never tried many seafood dishes, Italian, Pakistani, Indian, and other foods as a child. Many of which I love now. I suppose if one was a picky eater as a child, they may or may not be a picky eater as an adult........ I'm from Chicago, I LOVE pickled eggs! Something more popular in the south- but I am not from, nor have I ever lived in the south. If Mr. Kyle worked in a restaurant, he would have been exposed to a variety of foods never made in his childhood home which would have influenced his food tastes based on what kind of food the restaurant served. As a manager he surely would have sampled all the foods on the menu. Hope this makes sense. :blowkiss:

I love Pickled eggs- The good ones almost develop a rind on them that you bite through. Savannah has bottled ones - they are not very good. Marsh Supermarkets used to make their own in the Deli department- they were GREAT!

I love Pickled eggs- The good ones almost develop a rind on them that you bite through. Savannah has bottled ones - they are not very good. Marsh Supermarkets used to make their own in the Deli department- they were GREAT!

Benjaman,

How did you know that Marsh made the pickled eggs in-store? Is there anything else that stands out in your mind about Marsh? Do you remember any specific store? Marsh's deli used to be great - practically everything was made fresh in-store. I think that now only the biggest Marsh stores still make their own deli products.

I used to work at a Marsh many moons ago. :)

If I am in a formal situation a would be very careful to pronounce it properly(as a news anchorman might) In a casual I wo0uld get some amusement out of saying "chi-cah-ga":crazy:

OMG you have me laughing so hard! So hard my 6.5 yr old is still awake and asking me questions. OT- Drew Petersons attorney sounds like exactly like my uncle. I can't place it, being from DuPage county.... but there is that 'city' dialect. I kind of liken it to those of us from Chicago who would say Ca nook, instead of Ca nuck. ;) I corrected myself after learning from those in BC Canada.

I sent the email off to Bob Katz with R3? distributors, used to be AW Mendenhall..... before they were bought out.

Your response to the sports post kind of threw me..... The 'nascar' instead of Hockey... You were never a Black hawks fan, and most likely from somewhere in Indiana. ;)

off to finish reading. I am soooo glad you replied.

Benjaman,

How did you know that Marsh made the pickled eggs in-store? Is there anything else that stands out in your mind about Marsh? Do you remember any specific store? Marsh's deli used to be great - practically everything was made fresh in-store. I think that now only the biggest Marsh stores still make their own deli products.

Cool... I looked up Marsh, reminded me of the good old days, kind of.... but Marsh got into several other business's.

We had a Mr."one letter" -it's a one and only..... for who knows how long. They were known for finer meats, long after 'butcher stores' weren't so local. Across the street was the "flower" Bakery... where we went for "Poonchki's" ( what I heard of polish as a kid) or Paczki Day aka Polish Fat Tuesday. Which we called Bismarks.... not doughnuts if they were jelly filled.

Our local bakery was good, but not as good as some in the city....

It was funniest when I took my then 7 year old nephew for a paczki on fat tuesday... and at that age he tought EVERY tuesday was paczki day.

I wonder what kind of dougnuts, or meat markets, or good old fashioned 'drug stores' Mr. Kyle might recall... we had both woolworths and walgreens sit down at the table, and a few old drugs stores with the old shake machines.... and wow were they fun.. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to sit in a Rexall style 'drug store' for a home made milk shake.

:)

Marsh Acquisition of O'Malia's Now Officially Complete
Publication: Retail Operations and Construction
Date: Wednesday, August 29 2001

~snip~

Marsh Supermarkets is one of the country's largest regional grocery chains, with 69 Marsh Supermarkets, 32 LoBill stores, two Savin*$, and 189 Village Pantry convenience stores in central Indiana and western Ohio.

http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/4266041-1.html

Benjaman,

Does Mr. Kyle look familiar to you by any chance? :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member