MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one don't think poor black people living in Ferguson are "fabulously lucky and fortunate." I think most of us here, if not all of us, have no idea how hard their lives in, day in and day out. Or the discrimination they face. OK, I'm posting this now because I think the other side needs a voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXeWr9kQ4Kk

I for one, have a really good idea what it's like.........I am and have been poverty level with no help from our govt. So, I might be a bit worse off than some of these poor people.

(this is a borrowed computer since I can't afford my own)

When so-called "protesters" complain about not having access to City Council meetings (even though nothing was barring them from attending meetings in the past) I call that willful ignorance. When so-called "protesters" wear tee shirts to council meetings that read "Let My People Vote" - even though no one has been preventing them from voting - I call that willful ignorance.

When so-called "protesters" make demands that seek to circumvent due process and 4th amendment rights - I call that willful ignorance, because if they would take the time to educate themselves, they'd know better.

When someone complains that their locally elected officials don't represent them, but fails to register to vote and to participate in the electoral process - I call that willful ignorance (if not downright laziness).

It has nothing to do with anyone's opinion on the death of MB, nor their rights to express their opinions.

Everyone in this country has the means to seek out information - especially in this technological age. Even the poor can access information via the internet at their local library (if they can't afford a computer and internet subscription). We are not ruled by an oppressive 3rd-world dictatorship that prohibits access to information and knowledge.

Blaming everyone else for problems that are within one's power to solve by claiming that "I didn't know", but refusing to inform themselves & to participate in a solution - I call that willful ignorance.

I also call it willful abdication of personal responsibility.

Very well said! Freshman highschool civics class. Perhaps some of these protesters should return to the halls of education. Jmo

ciao

I for one don't think poor black people living in Ferguson are "fabulously lucky and fortunate." I think most of us here, if not all of us, have no idea how hard their lives in, day in and day out. Or the discrimination they face. OK, I'm posting this now because I think the other side needs a voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXeWr9kQ4Kk

I happen to think that video is tremendously offensive. As well as tremendously exploitative of those kids.

OOOOoooooo......but it IS a great example of the great freedoms we have here in America! Love that freedom of speech thingie!

Or....behavioral modification via personal incentives. Pandering to the "what's in it for me" mentality. IMO. Lol!

Something like "cash rewards" for not rioting. (Back to the reward system discussed earlier for wiping own butt and tying own shoes.)

Kinda like "We'll tear-up-your-traffic-tickets if you promise to not burn down City Hall and the police station".

Or: "We'll give you a get-out-of-jail-free card if you promise to not loot-and-shoot".

Hug-a- is the latest law enforcement trend, doncha know? Gotta be "sensitive" and refrain from being "aggressive".

I for one, have a really good idea what it's like.........I am and have been poverty level with no help from our govt. So, I might be a bit worse off than some of these poor people.

(this is a borrowed computer since I can't afford my own)

Are you black? I really think the color of one's skin unfortunately still makes a difference in this society. I'm poor and white (a student). My life is still pretty darn cushy compared to blacks living in inner cities and suburbs like Ferguson. Or, in my own country, First Nations people living on reservations.

No, I am not black. I am a woman with only a high school education so that means min wage jobs only. I am old, which means even min wage jobs are pretty much unattainable. So I don't think black has anything to do with it.

BUT, unless you're black ...sheesh no one knows what it's like! You're not old enough to know what it was like during the depression and not being completely white - as in - any other race like Irish or Italian and forced to live in the slums. Nothing to eat and no jobs. I don't see any of these people with a race card every time something doesn't work out. Even my grandparents off the boat had to work their azzes off to get somewhere, all without much of an education and speaking very little English. They managed and did well. That race card doesn't work for me, sorry.

Are you black? I really think the color of one's skin unfortunately still makes a difference in this society. I'm poor and white (a student). My life is still pretty darn cushy compared to blacks living in inner cities and suburbs like Ferguson. Or, in my own country, First Nations people living on reservations.

Education in this country is free.
That's the ticket out.
Education, hard work and determination.

It not some secret ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Education in this country is free.
That's the ticket out.
Education, hard work and determination.

It not some secret ....

Well, my student loans would disagree with that, but you are right in that K-12 is, at least, free. Clearly better in some areas than others though, as some have pointed out. Almost exclusively, a better education can be had in the wealthier areas. Making poverty a continuing problem.

One of the most educated people I know only has a high school diploma. Over the years he has done everything from designing and building a house to drawing a pattern and sewing a pair of jeans to breaking down VW bugs and making them into mud buggies and lots of things in between.

How did he learn to do these things? Reading. Readingreadingreading. Libraries are our friends. What did the old ad with "Abraham Lincoln" have him saying? Something like, "I've done a lot of reading...mostly on my own?" Just like the education Linda7NJ spoke of, libraries in this country are free...and chock full of information to help people learn about just about anything.

And for those who feel like their education was sub-par, there are classes for adult learners. Learning should be life long, and most of us have access to several methods/means for self-education.

Well, my student loans would disagree with that, but you are right in that K-12 is, at least, free. Clearly better in some areas than others though, as some have pointed out.

It's about the desire to learn.
If a person can read and comprehend there really isn't any excuse.

I've recently (very) recently just have paid off all of my own school loans...so I hear ya...

Oh and NOW...I'm
Hearing about student loan forgiveness programs if you work for a non-profit, law enforcement, fire fighting, foster parenting, public defenders and the like...something you may want to look into...when your finished

One of the most educated people I know only has a high school diploma. Over the years he has done everything from designing and building a house to drawing a pattern and sewing a pair of jeans to breaking down VW bugs and making them into mud buggies and lots of things in between.

How did he learn to do these things? Reading. Readingreadingreading. Libraries are our friends. What did the old ad with "Abraham Lincoln" have him saying? Something like, "I've done a lot of reading...mostly on my own?" Just like the education Linda7NJ spoke of, libraries in this country are free...and chock full of information to help people learn about just about anything.

And for those who feel like their education was sub-par, there are classes for adult learners. Learning should be life long, and most of us have access to several methods/means for self-education.

Exactly!
And now with websites like the Kahn Academy...there is ZERO excuse!

https://www.khanacademy.org

Well, you're preaching to the choir there with me. Almost 40 and just completed my 2nd degree, and getting additional certification. But not everyone has the luxury to do what I have done. Some are trapped in the cycle of poverty. Some are too busy working minimum wage jobs to self-teach themselves skills. I was married to a self-taught man, a successful one, but not everyone can learn that way.

It's about the desire to learn.
If a person can read and comprehend there really isn't any excuse.

I've recently (very) recently just have paid off all of my own school loans...so I hear ya...

Oh and NOW...I'm
Hearing about student loan forgiveness programs if you work for a non-profit, law enforcement, fire fighting, foster parenting, public defenders and the like...something you may want to look into...when your finished

Thanks, I'm in Canada but maybe we have something similar here. I think if you work up North, there may be some program.... of course, don't know if my family would go for that...

Thanks, I'm in Canada but maybe we have something similar here. I think if you work up North, there may be some program.... of course, don't know if my family would go for that...

I'm totally unfamiliar with the cost of higher education in Canada. If it's anything like the student loan debt I racked up here....I think my family would have been willing to move for five years to erase it:)

Even Harvard and MIT offers free for credit online courses.

Last year, my homeschooled son, took the free Constitutional Law class. Loved it.

http://www.harvard.edu/faqs/free-courses

That would actually be pretty cool. I'd love to take a law course sometime. As for the cost of education here - cheaper than the US, but not cheap by any means! Worth it, I hope, one day.

Gloria Lloyd‏@glorialloyd·2 mins
"You're like ISIS to black people." - Anthony Shahid, who takes stuffed dogs with him to symbolize civil right movement. #STLCCM #Ferguson

That quote along with this pic of a Tshirt worn by protestors really illustrated the absolute ignorance and arrogance of some of these protestors. Have they seen the ISIS videos of the people they beheaded? If they really would rather deal with ISIS than police officers in America, then I would love to raise the fund to get them all one way tickets to where ISIS currently is.

I also find those comments quite disrespectful because despite our differences, when it comes to terrorist like ISIS, we should be united against them. If these protestors are so tough and would rather deal with ISIS that American police then why haven't they joined the service to fight them?

Honestly, I pretty much have to stay away from this thread because of how ridiculous some of the protestors are.

Attachments

• isis tee.jpg
    isis tee.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 95
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Ferguson-teenager-Michael-Brown-charged.html
A grand jury in Missouri has been given until January next year to decide whether Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson should be charged for the shooting of teenager Michael Brown.
The deadline for the grand jury has been extended until January 7 to allow them to consider whether there is enough evidence to criminally charge Wilson, CNN reports.
But this does not necessarily mean that the grand jury will take that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆