FL - Lawyer Charged With Assault After Shaking Prosecutors Hand "Too Hard"

White Rain

Reaction score
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A lawyer has been charged with assault for shaking a federal prosecutor's hand so hard, authorities said, that it injured her shoulder.
Kathy Brewer Rentas, 49, was arrested Thursday after attending a court hearing for her husband, who was accused of violating the terms of his probation for a cocaine distribution case. The husband, Anthony Rentas, was sentenced to 90 days of house arrest.
After the hearing, Brewer Rentas asked to shake hands with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Keene.
A court security officer reported that Brewer Rentas shook Keene's hand so forcefully that the prosecutor's arm was nearly ripped out of its socket.
"With Keene in hand, Brewer made an upward, then a quick downward motion and pulled Keene toward the ground moving her forward, almost causing Keene to fall to the ground," Deputy U.S. Marshall Robert Kremenik Jr. wrote in an arrest report.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330202,00.html

The article also states that the attorney was injured. I don't know if it was intentional or accidental, but I do believe that the "hand-shake" was done too hard and/or over exaggerated causing the injury.

There's no other reason Rentas would have wanted to shake her hand than to hurt her. That attorney just prosecuted her husband!

And pundits complain that the average American is litigious!!!

And pundits complain that the average American is litigious!!!

Well there's a difference being litigious because you're so stupid you can't keep your coffee in the cup and being prosecuted by the law because you tried to rip the arm out of an attorney. I've been in situations where men have shaken my hand too hard. Lucky for me, years of weight lifting means I can give it as good as I get it. Unfortunately, for the average woman, she's not in a position to do so.

At this point:
"After the hearing, Brewer Rentas asked to shake hands with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Keene"
I would have declined!

What was her problem? Her husband got house arrest instead of prison on a parole violation!

What was her problem? Her husband got house arrest instead of prison on a parole violation!

That sure wasn't a very smart thing to do. When you shake someone's hand you don't try and take them down to the ground to do it! Sounds to me instead of the attorney telling the Pros what she thought of her she decided to do it in a physical way instead without saying a word but yet getting her point across.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back