Hurricane Irma - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://spaghettimodels.com
25c5866eaab78b176944ba2cf0c8af1a.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Keys Residents waiting to re-enter on Card South Road

At a RaceTrac gas station near the entrance to Card Sound Road, dozens of Keys residents waited to return home. The police told them they didn't know when they would be allowed to drive south — whether it would be tomorrow or next week or even later.

Other Keys residents had been able to get in touch with neighbors and knew their homes had only been slightly battered. They were anxious to get on the road and help friends who hadn't been so lucky. "I have friends that need help. I have supplies for them," said one Key Largo resident. "We're capable people in the Keys, we don't need our hands held ...We're not tourists." "No one should be able to keep you out of your home," he said.

That was a sentiment echoed by many waiting at the gas station. And many said that after Irma, they wouldn't evacuate again.

Another person decided to leave his home in Key Tavernier with his wife and two small children on Friday because he was worried about their safety. But now, waiting in the heat for hours to return home, he said he wouldn't run when the next hurricane came.

"This is why people don't leave," he said. "It's not because they're afraid ... it's because they're afraid they won't be able to get back and check on their homes.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172537476.html

Thanks for posting these. I'm might be kind of a jerk to say this, but I worry a lot more about the animals than I do the people sometimes. I'm glad someone has been looking out for them. Even feral chickens.

I get it. Most people have the ability to change their situation. Animals often do not without the help of humans.

The Key West chickens are mean, but I rather like them. Every color you can imagine, all with attitude!

Miami Gardens sees light damage

Residents in Miami Gardens made their way outside Monday morning to rake up smaller branches, cut larger ones and clear their yards of debris.

The inland area was mostly spared from storm surge and flooding but several large trees were uprooted by Irma's winds including some that blocked streets.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172537476.html

I get it. Most people have the ability to change their situation. Animals often do not without the help of humans.

The Key West chickens are mean, but I rather like them. Every color you can imagine, all with attitude!

I'm glad some of the original Key West chickens were saved, as mean as they are!

Update on family:

They decided late yesterday to go to Largo High School which is a new high school that is rated for level 5 category hurricane. The most interesting takeaways from their visit was

1. Nothing causes people to become more Angry than telling smokers they cannot smoke inside a building and if they leave they cannot come back in.

2. Going to a school allows 30 people per each room so it's much much quieter than a big huge Auditorium or Convention Center. If I ever get evacuated I will pick a high school or a school so I can be in a smaller room with less people.

3. Schools are set up to be able to cook hot meals for all the evacuees at schools vs. Convention Centers. They had breakfast lunch and dinner hot meals. the electricity was out all around them but the school was not out of electricity they had total backup generators and emergency lights

4. Schools that are new are built to the highest codes and she could not even hear the weather outside at all because the glass is so thick and is Hurricane resistant and so is the building.

Glad to hear that so many people are okay today on the thread!

Comments from Mike on Mike's Weather Page. I couldn't say it any better.

"Warnings/Watches are gone. Winds will remain a bit among a large region. Rains from center south drying up. Some flooding maybe north FL north. Some chances of surge remain with winds off the Atlantic/Gulf. Marco/Naples/Keys hit hard.

Came down to two small wobbles that saved a much bigger disaster (one SW into Cuba and one north inland into FL). We can't be upset on the forecast. Every system has wobbles. If these wobbles happened over water someone still would have had the worst.

Cleanup begins. Be thankful you are safe."

North Naples flooding

At first light Monday morning, residents in Naples Park emerged to assess the damage. They were in good spirits.

Jenny Grubb stepped out from her brother's house near the corner of 8th Street and 105th Avenue in North Naples to find no damage to the concrete house. Surrounding trees were another story. Branches and palm fronds littered the streets.

Another resident, who lives a few blocks to the south on 99th Avenue, said the screen on her lanai was gone. "It's OK, who cares about the house and the cars? More important is our life."

A few blocks to the north in Naples Park, Cassidy Armstrong walked two of her dogs stepping over fallen tree limbs in the roads.

"I'm a little shaken up," she said. Her one-story house near 107th Avenue and 8th Court West backs up to a lake. It flooded into her backyard.

Flood waters rose waist-deep in the streets. By the time morning broke, the waters in the streets had receded, but not yet in Armstrong's backyard. A neighbor to the south lost an entire lanai-patio structure. Fences encircling the lake and up and down the streets were knocked down. But the houses were safe.

The corner of Oakes Blvd and Spanish Oaks Lane also is flooded.

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...naples-residents-wake-damage-water/652701001/

Naples/East Naples flooding update:

Large trees are down and turning the median on Goodlette-Frank Road into an obstacle course. Northbound lanes were reported impassible at 8:30 a.m.

Glades Boulevard from Boca Ciega was water-covered and power lines were down on that streets. Entry to some subdivisions, including Kings Lake were water covered and require a high vehicle for entry; trees are down in front of the entrances to the Naples Bath & Tennis Club and Hawk's Ridge subdivision.

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/new...naples-residents-wake-damage-water/652701001/

Update on family:

They decided late yesterday to go to Largo High School which is a new high school that is rated for level 5 category hurricane. The most interesting takeaways from their visit was

1. Nothing causes people to become more Angry than telling smokers they cannot smoke inside a building and if they leave they cannot come back in.

2. Going to a school allows 30 people per each room so it's much much quieter than a big huge Auditorium or Convention Center. If I ever get evacuated I will pick a high school or a school so I can be in a smaller room with less people.

3. Schools are set up to be able to cook hot meals for all the evacuees at schools vs. Convention Centers. They had breakfast lunch and dinner hot meals. the electricity was out all around them but the school was not out of electricity they had total backup generators and emergency lights

4. Schools that are new are built to the highest codes and she could not even hear the weather outside at all because the glass is so thick and is Hurricane resistant and so is the building.

Glad to hear that so many people are okay today on the thread!
Awesome news!! Glad to hear. Thanks for the takeaways. I will remember if ever in the situation.

Comments from Mike on Mike's Weather Page. I couldn't say it any better.

"Warnings/Watches are gone. Winds will remain a bit among a large region. Rains from center south drying up. Some flooding maybe north FL north. Some chances of surge remain with winds off the Atlantic/Gulf. Marco/Naples/Keys hit hard.

Came down to two small wobbles that saved a much bigger disaster (one SW into Cuba and one north inland into FL). We can't be upset on the forecast. Every system has wobbles. If these wobbles happened over water someone still would have had the worst.

Cleanup begins. Be thankful you are safe."

I love Mikes Hurricane page (not his FaceBook page). He lives in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88