NC NC - Phyllis Powell, 5, Woodland, 11 Jan 1963

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
All I could find are 2 articles in the newspaper archives.

Five-year-old Phyllis (sometimes spelled Phyliss) Powell disappeared around 1 p.m. on Friday, January 11, 1963. She was last seen when she left her grandfather's house on the outskirts of Woodland, North Carolina, to go to a nearby cousin's house. The short trip would have taken her across a field filled with irrigation ditches. The area is surrounded by woods and there is a swamp nearby. There was a massive 2-day search involving National Guard volunteers, rescue squads, 200 students from a nearby college, and a helicopter from the Elizabeth City Coast Guard. The formal search was called off on Sunday, January 13, however police said they suspected foul play and would continue to investigate her disappearance.

Woodland families still search for answers

Friday, January 19, 2007

WOODLAND - They will never forget. They will never surrender the search.

Forty-three years have now passed since Phyllis L. Powell of Woodland suddenly disappeared on Jan. 11, 1963.

To this day, the family still searches for answers.

“Many people have forgotten about little Phyllis (age 5 when she went missing) or weren’t even born, but her tragic disappearance still haunts our family,” William “Buddy” Powell, Phyllis’ oldest brother, said.

He continued, “I stop at least twice a week at the corner of Highway 35 and Ashe Street (in Woodland) still hoping to find some answers. Each time I stop I live through the agony and pain from 43 years ago when I was first told that my little sister was missing and was nowhere to be found.”

Phyllis disappeared around 12 noon on Jan. 11, 1963. She was last seen at the residence of Lewis and Bernice Vinson, located at 310 Ashe Street. Despite a massive search, there were no clues discovered on the little girl’s whereabouts.

“Not only does her disappearance linger on in the minds of the Powell family, but the Vinson family as well, “Powell said. “Lewis and Bernice Vinson were the last known people to see little Phyllis before she vanished. The pain in our hearts lingers on.”

More at link:
http://www.r-cnews.com/articles/2007/01/19/news/news6.txt

Does anyone have a picture of this girl? I can't find one and I can't list her on Charley without one.

It's really irritating to see articles about missing people that don't include a picture.

I haven't been able to find any pictures of Phyllis. I did exchange a few emails with Cal Bryant, the author of the article, because I thought she might be a match for someone I know who is searching for her birth family. Turns out the races are different (my friend is Caucasian, Phyllis is African American) and Cal didn't want to get the family's hopes up for nothing. I wonder, though, if you contacted him, if he could obtain a picture for you to post on the Charley Project. It pains me to see children like this just "slip through the cracks".

There are no pic of phyliss Powell. Phyliss is being compaired against a Jane Doe fond in Northampton County NC in 1983. I know the family and have been working with them. They have sumittd there DNA and a piece of the bone of the child found have been sent to texas for comparison.

I have the article from 1963-1999.

The Jane Doe was a black chld been the ages of 4-8 found by a hunter. The skull was found the sheriff at the time sent them to UNC Chapel Hill. The Sheriff died in office and these bones where never looked into. I was watching the Montel Williams show when this lady from UNC Charlotte brought them on the show. When she said where they were found I almost dropped my Jaw. I had just read where they were still looking for Phyliss. I called the Northampton County Police department and there only responce was tha they did not know anything about these bones. I let it drop and when I moved to Winston Salem I started checking back into this. I called Clyde Gibbs at UNC Chapel Hill ( great Guy) and he looked them up and said yea we have them bones. I told him I might know whom they belong too. I got intouch with Buddy Powell and we had DNA test set up with the SBI out of Greensboro we had to go through SBI because the Sheriff Department would not return our calls. The DNA test should be back anytime.

The Jane Doe was found less than 30 miles from when phyliss went missing.

Betty Brown

I haven't been able to find any pictures of Phyllis. I did exchange a few emails with Cal Bryant, the author of the article, because I thought she might be a match for someone I know who is searching for her birth family. Turns out the races are different (my friend is Caucasian, Phyllis is African American) and Cal didn't want to get the family's hopes up for nothing. I wonder, though, if you contacted him, if he could obtain a picture for you to post on the Charley Project. It pains me to see children like this just "slip through the cracks".

Cal already knows about the possible match betwen Phyliss and the Jane Doe child. He has been helping us out and is going to break the story if this is her. He has coved Phyliss missing every year for the past 15 years.The family has unlisted number and is waiting for DNA results. They are about 95% sure it is Phyliss that was found back in 1983. I do not know how it got on the Doe network because they wanted to keep everything under wraps until they found out if it was her. Someone must of have seen it on OCCI and posted it. We have been following this from the start. Phyliss was the youngest of 12 children, there family was very poor at the time she went missing.

Clyde Gibbs ( coroner) called me to let me know that our 1983 child doe is not phyllis powell. There were NO hits for the family or for our child doe.

NCMEC open opened a case for our Christmas Jane Doe, They will be doing a clay head from the skull. We did find out that our doe is a female. We have already summitted 4 girls for comparison. Kelly Staples, Toya Hill, Kathy Davidson, Tracy Lynn Davenport.

I think Toya Hill may be a better match. We will see. They have Toya's dna avaible at the maryland missing person unit.

Betty

Hi Betty (Seifsister)

Could you mention this little girl to the coroner you are talking to. I realize she is not in the right age range but she was small for her age.

Sherri Lee Truesdale, Missing 13 June 1970 from Winston-Salem, NC
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'2; 75 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Black hair; brown eyes.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/75dfnc.html

This case has been close to my heart... if you could just mention it to Clyde Gibbs I would greatly appreciate it. Winston-Salem is just a few hours from Northampton County.

Yaya

Hey. I have worked with det. on Sherri's case. He had the family come in and give there DNA to be sent to texas. I tring to think but I believe they gave thee DNA back in April or May. So when they upload there DNA if it is her they will get a hit. I told him about the Namus program and He called and talked to George Adams. So keep your fingers crossed.
He seems to be a good cop but he does not know allot about the DNA avaible for CODIS. He is not in missing persons he is a protol offiicer that worked with homicide, So you from NC? Near here?

Betty

Hi Betty... that is wonderful to hear! I'm glad the family has given DNA. I keep thinking someday we will know what happen to Sherri or at the very least law enforcement may be able to return her remains to her family. Yes, I do live relatively close to Winston. I'm in Surry County, about 40 miles away. :)

Yaya

Hey. I have worked with det. on Sherri's case. He had the family come in and give there DNA to be sent to texas. I tring to think but I believe they gave thee DNA back in April or May. So when they upload there DNA if it is her they will get a hit. I told him about the Namus program and He called and talked to George Adams. So keep your fingers crossed.
He seems to be a good cop but he does not know allot about the DNA avaible for CODIS. He is not in missing persons he is a protol offiicer that worked with homicide, So you from NC? Near here?

Betty

Clyde Gibbs ( coroner) called me to let me know that our 1983 child doe is not phyllis powell. There were NO hits for the family or for our child doe.

NCMEC open opened a case for our Christmas Jane Doe, They will be doing a clay head from the skull. We did find out that our doe is a female. We have already summitted 4 girls for comparison. Kelly Staples, Toya Hill, Kathy Davidson, Tracy Lynn Davenport.

I think Toya Hill may be a better match. We will see. They have Toya's dna avaible at the maryland missing person unit.

Betty

They are compairing dna from Jane doe child to Toya Hill from Baltimore Maryland she disappeared in 3/1982. That puts her in the time frame also she was only a tank of gas away. Det. Mingle working Toya case is very dedicated to finding her. So maybe we can send Christmas Jane Doe home to someone this time.( we named her Christmas Jane Doe for when she was found)

Betty

There are no pic of phyliss Powell. Phyliss is being compaired against a Jane Doe fond in Northampton County NC in 1983. I know the family and have been working with them. They have sumittd there DNA and a piece of the bone of the child found have been sent to texas for comparison.

I have the article from 1963-1999.

The Jane Doe was a black chld been the ages of 4-8 found by a hunter. The skull was found the sheriff at the time sent them to UNC Chapel Hill. The Sheriff died in office and these bones where never looked into. I was watching the Montel Williams show when this lady from UNC Charlotte brought them on the show. When she said where they were found I almost dropped my Jaw. I had just read where they were still looking for Phyliss. I called the Northampton County Police department and there only responce was tha they did not know anything about these bones. I let it drop and when I moved to Winston Salem I started checking back into this. I called Clyde Gibbs at UNC Chapel Hill ( great Guy) and he looked them up and said yea we have them bones. I told him I might know whom they belong too. I got intouch with Buddy Powell and we had DNA test set up with the SBI out of Greensboro we had to go through SBI because the Sheriff Department would not return our calls. The DNA test should be back anytime.

The Jane Doe was found less than 30 miles from when phyliss went missing.

Betty Brown

Wow! Good. Yes, Clyde is very good guy.

I told Clyde if I did not live so far away that I would come down and volenteer but he is over 2 hr. away.

Betty

I have a petition that I am tring to get signed it is located at the address listed. I would like to see the SBI of NC reopen and handle Phyllis Powells case, Phyllis Powell to date is not listed in NCIC and the police dept. ( even Sheriff) will not return phone calls to me or to State Coroner.We still do not know her case number. Her family gave dna to texas and came back as no hits. The NC Coroner is handling the Powell family DNA because they can not get any help from Sheriff Department.

Thanks for all of your support.
God Bless

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/963/index.html

Hi Betty... that is wonderful to hear! I'm glad the family has given DNA. I keep thinking someday we will know what happen to Sherri or at the very least law enforcement may be able to return her remains to her family. Yes, I do live relatively close to Winston. I'm in Surry County, about 40 miles away. :)

You know Sherri DNA should be in CODIS soon. It has been 8 mon. Keep up the faith

Betty

Patient persistence
46 years later, Buddy Powell still seeks answers about missing sister
By Calvin Bryant (Contact) | Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald

Published Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WOODLAND – As long as the good Lord allows him to draw a breath, William “Buddy” Powell will not give-up.

Despite the passage of 46 years, Powell still clings to the hope of finding out what happened to his little sister. That sister, Phyllis L. Powell of Woodland, suddenly disappeared on Jan. 11, 1963.

Last month, while watching the TV news, Powell learned that the John Walsh family found out who abducted and killed their six-year-old son. Walsh is the host of the TV show America's Most Wanted. He became involved in anti-crime activism following the murder of his son, Adam, in 1981.

“I was very happy for the Walsh family; despite still living with the pain of losing a child at such an early age, they found some relief in knowing who killed their little boy,” Powell said.

“As I began to tear-up (over the Walsh story), God spoke to me through John Walsh,” Powell continued. “His message was, ‘William Buddy Powell, don’t ever give up hope on finding out what happened to your little sister, Phyllis; my word will not return void’.”

Quoting Matthew 10:26, Powell pointed to God’s words… “Fear them not therefore; for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.”

“God spoke those words and it shall come to past,” Powell stressed.

For Powell and other members of his family, they still live through the agony and pain of Jan. 11, 1963 when the news was revealed that Phyllis was missing. She disappeared at around 12 noon that day while playing in an area of NC 35 and Ashe Street in Woodland. Despite a massive search, there were no clues discovered on the little girl’s whereabouts.

“Some may say why don’t you just forget it,” Powell noted. “I will say to them, she wasn’t your baby, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin, etc. I will never stop looking. I will wait on God’s promise.”

Recently, there was a ray of hope for the Powell family. DNA tests performed on Powell and his brother, Joseph Powell, came on the heels of a cold case involving human bones found years ago in the northwestern part of Northampton County. However, those tests did not reveal a DNA match.

“It got our hopes up, but when the DNA didn’t match it put us right back at square one,” Powell said.

Meanwhile, a Winston-Salem woman, Betty Brown, has shown much interest in the Powell case. As a member of a family with a missing relative of their own, Brown played a pivotal role in getting the DNA tests performed. She is also leading an effort to have a retired FBI sketch artist perform an “age progressed” drawing of Phyllis Powell.

“Mrs. Brown has also contacted us about using some sort of advanced technology to perform another ground search of the area around where Phyllis went missing,” Powell said.

In the meantime, Powell said his family was willing to forgive the person responsible for his sister’s disappearance.

“To whoever is responsible for taking my sister, I say to you that my family loves you and what’s more important, God loves you too,” Powell said. “We only want the pain and the heartache to go away.”

Powell closed by saying, “To all who read this, put yourself in our shoes; wouldn’t you want to know what happened to your child? We ask all to pray for our family and to please pray for whoever is responsible for taking Phyllis away from a family that truly loved her.”

Guardian digital forensics out of Raleigh NC meet with the Powell family this past weekend to do a reconstruction of what Phyllis would of have looked like when she was age 5 when she went missing. The family is very grateful.

Guardian digital forensics did the reconstruction photo of Phyllis based from her Cousin that she looked like. I just want to report that New information has come in that may solve this case. Thanks to all the Publicity in the News on Phyllis case. The NCMEC has taken Phyllis case and she is listed in NCIC. Thanks to all the dedications from so many that have tried to bring attention to her case.:great::great:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back