GA Middle schooler pierced classmate's navel

Fluttershy

Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/news/authorities-middle-schooler-pierced-1412733.html

A Paulding County middle school student allegedly pierced one classmate's navel and apparently was planning to do others, just in time for spring break, before school officials put a stop to it.

She learned how to do the belly button work by watching YouTube, the girl allegedly told police. The girl's name was not disclosed because she is a juvenile; neither were her age and grade.

In addition to the two unused piercing needles, Principal Gary Plunkett gave police 13 navel rings and a used needle, the report states. All of the piercing supplies were taken into custody, and the needles were destroyed.

Bolding by me. I'm not sure if I'm horrified at the idea of piercing our classmates, or relieved that at least she researched it first. Either way, 3 piercing needles is not enough for 13 potential piercings.

Made me giggle a bit, because at least she researched it. She had a thriving business going! I guess I can't be too concerned because my mom has stories about her ears being pierced by her older sister with a needle, an ice cube, and a potato around the same age.

My cousin did her ears with a safety pin.

They charged her... wouldn't sitting her down with her parents and explaining the seriousness of the situation sufficed? Now she has a record... :(

Made me giggle a bit, because at least she researched it. She had a thriving business going! I guess I can't be too concerned because my mom has stories about her ears being pierced by her older sister with a needle, an ice cube, and a potato around the same age.

I'm sure the parents are not amused, but I was about 13-14 when my BFF double pierced both of our left ears with a safety pin and some rubbing alcohol. My mother was :censored: !!!!!!!!!!!

Still, not quite something I'd press charges for. Their little angel babies didn't get their bellies pierced against their will, did they?

I'm sure the parents are not amused, but I was about 13-14 when my BFF double pierced both of our left ears with a safety pin and some rubbing alcohol. My mother was :censored: !!!!!!!!!!!

Still, not quite something I'd press charges for. Their little angel babies didn't get their bellies pierced against their will, did they?

I'd be more angry at my own child for choosing to go ahead with it, rather than the kid who did the piercing. After all, just because your friend jumps off a bridge doesn't mean you should.

At any rate, I don't really think it's an issue that should be charged over - but certainly detentions or some sort of punishment for all involved would probably be a good idea.

I really cannot see the sense in charging her over this. Girls have done their ears at home for ages. I think it was eighth grade when we did second holes for each other at a sleepover with the old "sterilized" (with alcohol and a lighter :innocent: ) needle and ice lol.

I am soooo thankful I grew up in the 80s/early 90s, which seems to have been about the tail end of the time when kids could make mistakes, do dumb things, and not have to worry about arrests or charges or having a record to show for it. Or maybe worse - having it immortalized forever on social media or YouTube video. :giggle:

There is no sense in charging her over this. My sister and her friends did exactly this in middle school or 9th grade (with safety pins or the like). I think a good sit down talk with her parents and the parents of the kid(s) that got or were going to get them would have been best.

I have store like that. My mom told us not to do it but we hid in bedroom and did it anyway. When my sister jab the needle in my ear I screamed at top my lungs my found out. So for a long time I only had one ear pierced. Mom told us to go head do the other ear but I wouldnt let her close to me with a needle.

Haha-- my mom has the same story. She and her best friend pierced their ears using peroxide, a needle, ice, and a potato. She had the holes until last year (she was 61) when they closed up, so she had to get them re-pierced.

When I was in the 7th or 8th grade, my two best friends and I went to the mall. They got this insane idea to pierce their belly buttons. They bought peroxide and safety pins, and went to a restaurant and got a big cup of ice. We stood in the bathroom for over an hour while they numbed their belly buttons, then pierced them. I was smart enough to have no part of it other than being a witness....haha. Both of their piercings ended up getting horribly infected (shocker!!) and they both got into a lot of trouble.

I think this is just something that a lot of girls this age try to do. There is absolutely NO reason to involve the police IMO. How ridiculous.

Because of her whole needle and potato incident, my mom was adamant when I got my ears done as a kid that we were having them done by the doctor.

The doctor pierced them crooked.

After finally letting them grow back together for a few years, I went and got them redone at the mall, haha. For all that my mom talked about hers being terrible, at least they were straight!

They charged her... wouldn't sitting her down with her parents and explaining the seriousness of the situation sufficed? Now she has a record... :(

I have to say, if my daughter came home with a belly ring from school I would FLIP OUT. yea I would insist charges filed. Maybe the staff member that reported it felt that way, too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I have to say, if my daughter came home with a belly ring from school I would FLIP OUT. yea I would insist charges filed. Maybe the staff member that reported it felt that way, too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I could understand this if the child who was pierced was unwilling or forced, but I truly don't understand this attitude if your own child willingly chose to engage in the activity. I would understand charges if this was an adult, but this is another child of the same age, with a willing child.

My best friend and I did each others navals when we were in 7th grade. Our parents made us take them out, no criminal charges needed.

Haha-- my mom has the same story. She and her best friend pierced their ears using peroxide, a needle, ice, and a potato. She had the holes until last year (she was 61) when they closed up, so she had to get them re-pierced.

When I was in the 7th or 8th grade, my two best friends and I went to the mall. They got this insane idea to pierce their belly buttons. They bought peroxide and safety pins, and went to a restaurant and got a big cup of ice. We stood in the bathroom for over an hour while they numbed their belly buttons, then pierced them. I was smart enough to have no part of it other than being a witness....haha. Both of their piercings ended up getting horribly infected (shocker!!) and they both got into a lot of trouble.

I think this is just something that a lot of girls this age try to do. There is absolutely NO reason to involve the police IMO. How ridiculous.

Well if a lot of children this age do, then they clearly shouldn't be doing it. Infections and blood borne diseases is a very good reason for them not to do anything of the sort.
I personally don't have a problem with getting police involved.

I pierced my own belly button when I was 13. By myself. But I was pretty self destructive and I have a major pain tolerance.
Numbing it? That didn't even occur to me. I just did it. :waitasec:

I think that talking to these girls about the risks and making them take them out likely would have been far more productive.
Now, you've just sent the message that it is that girl's fault... and the ones who got pierced are innocent in the whole thing. :twocents:

Well if a lot of children this age do, then they clearly shouldn't be doing it. Infections and blood borne diseases is a very good reason for them not to do anything of the sort.
I personally don't have a problem with getting police involved.

Of course they shouldn't be doing it, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. However, I feel this is a teachable moment for parents. Take the time to sit down and discuss with your child why letting anyone other than a professional pierce your body is dangerous.

Handling it with the cops is just sending the message that the girl doing the piercing is the one in the wrong. What about the girls who were going to let her pierce their belly buttons?? They need to be taught to take responsibility for their own actions. This is nothing more than what we see all of the time nowdays and one of the reasons why our society is so messed up-- kids are being taught to push the blame off onto someone else instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

Posted this on my facebook wall with a message to the friend who did my double piercing and tagged both her and my mom. The comments are hysterical!

Also, just for the record, my ear did not get infected and I still occasionally wear an earring in that hole even though I'm an old lady with lots of kids. It's fun to embarrass them like that. :crazy:

As a teacher in a school currently having MRSA issues, it seems to me we have to take drastic steps for students and parents to grasp what is truly at risk here. MRSA isn't something we had to worry about as kids. Our children do not have that luxury. In addition, we have students w/ Hepatitis, HIV, and countless other diseases.
While I don't condone involving the police, I do understand it. I've dealt w/ many parents and students who just don't get it. The school is liable if the diseases are passed at school via needles--we can be sued (and will be). I actually wonder if one of the kids involved is sick, but the school cannot share that information. If one were deliberately trying to pass something on, how many would change their points of view?

LOL! Your mom must be of my generation. I was 12 and had an 8th grade friend pierce my ears the exact same way...needle ice cube and potato to catch and pull the needle thru. (Had a taste of her dad's nice wine....to be "ready".)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back