Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Marines being sent to Japan for nuclear response

Quote: Some 155 Marines from the service's Chemical Biological Incident Response Force are scheduled to leave the United States on Thursday and arrive in Japan Friday, a US defense official told AFP.

The CBIRF team, trained in identifying chemical agents, monitoring radiation levels and decontaminating personnel, would not participate in the frenzied efforts to stabilized the reactors of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, crippled by a huge earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.b82a40904dbf10491b0e0b8397955baa.131

US Marines being sent to Japan for nuclear response

Quote: Some 155 Marines from the service's Chemical Biological Incident Response Force are scheduled to leave the United States on Thursday and arrive in Japan Friday, a US defense official told AFP.

The CBIRF team, trained in identifying chemical agents, monitoring radiation levels and decontaminating personnel, would not participate in the frenzied efforts to stabilized the reactors of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, crippled by a huge earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.b82a40904dbf10491b0e0b8397955baa.131
Ya know - I was at horseshoes tonight. (We play horseshoes every Thurs. at the local American Legion) Anyway, I saw this one guy talking about his new "ink" and how he got it with his BFF, who was a Marine and was scheduled to ship out in the next few days or so.

Now I wonder if his friend is going to Japan.

Our local national guard is going as well I read a few days ago..

I bought a bag of dried wakame (brown sea weed) today.

Since potassium iodide (KI) tablets are not available on the West Coast, and since radioactive Iodine-131 has been detected in milk on the West Coast, my family and I have decided to eat dried wakame to protect out thyroid glands from Iodine-131 exposure.

Here is some of the information I've been reading:

Kelp contains the highest concentration of iodine ranging from 1000-8000 mcg/gram (or 1000-8000 parts per million) iodine depending on the source. RDI for iodine (for adults) is 150 mcg. The tolerable upper limit for iodine intake is 1100 mcg/day. For additional info on iodine:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional

Although many people recommend taking much more than 150.0 mcg of iodine per day, one should bear in mind that TOO MUCH IODINE IS TOXIC TO THE THYROID GLAND, SO MORE IS NOT NECESSARILY BETTER. There have been reports of toxicity to the thyroid gland from iodine ingestion (from kelp) at less than 1100 mcg of iodine per day:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1924637/

The above links are only a sample of sources of information.

According to what I've read, organic kelp is the best source of iodine, and the best source of heavy metal free kelp, FWIW.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Big Hugs to Everyone,
Sorrell

Heard a Dr, on Megyn Kelly saying how little radiation in Washington milk is no biggy. Even if the worst case scenario happened and there was a big radation cloud it still wouln't be a big deal. He claimed that was everyone's fear after Chernobyl and there is no proof that cancer rates went up in Europe.(is that true?). He did say he would be concerned if he lived close by in Japan.
I'm sorry,but I just think ingesting any radiation isn't good.

BBM: Can't speak for Europe as a whole, but I will give a shout out for the hundreds, if not thousands of deformed children from Ukraine. My DH used to work for a US law firm that did adoptions from Russia. He regularly traveled there and visited many orphanages. He doesn't like to talk about it, but has told me that he saw literally hundreds of children with the most awful deformities who were shipped out to Cuba. He said he didn't know why Cuba, or whatever happened to them, but he said it was awful.

As for myself, I was in London at the time of Chernobyl, working in mainstream TV. My buddies included lots of news reporters and Science journalists. I was pregnant. Looking back, it was definitely played down in the media. I remember being given the heads up that there cloud from Chernobyl was on its way over and to stay out of the rain. It rained heavily in London the day it passed over, and I remember sitting in the car feeling foolish as everyone else went about their day, getting wet, and I refused to get out of the car. I remember stopping drinking milk for 6 months, also lamb was affected. Not sure about beef, I didn't eat it at the time. I don't recall any increase in cancer ever being reported, but the milk and lamb definitely came off the shelf.

A friend of mine here who was at college in London at the same time, who I only met in the last few years, also recalls the milk thing. Obviously the information was given out to the public, but I remember thinking at the time it was played down. But that's not uncommon in media for lots of things. Although I was not in editorial position to make the decisions, I knew they often held back information for one reason or another. The most obvious example would be gruesome footage of human carnage - that never makes the air, but when you see the raw footage before it's edited, you realize how sanitized the news is.

I have a request to make about this topic, but I'll post separately....

A small (hopefully) request:

This topic is now so huuuuuuuge, catching up with what must be almost 2 weeks of posts is now an insurmountable task. How can I find the gems of information I need?

Access to the radar net raw data and various "expert" websites, twitter posters and so on is not too hard to find, but it doesn't mean a lot to me without interpretation and I don't trust mainstream media (see above).

If you were asked to summarize where we are now in 3 sentences, what would you say about where we are now with all this? How should I be preparing myself and my family - what practical steps should I be taking to minimize the impact on the food chain.

I appreciate that opinions here are personal and differ, but I trust WS to give me a common sense answer based on facts that I haven't seen and are now too well buried in all the threads. Maybe there are a handful of posts that are critical reading - a summary - I'm not trying to be lazy, just don't know how to make sense of it all and need help with the shopping list.

The radar net readings around here North East Coast (the ones that are working) seem pretty flat, but I looked at Boston and there was definitely a huge spike there, albeit short lived. I have no idea how to interpret the raw data, and I don't trust the "graphics" they are so easily manipulated, and I don't think any of us are safe.

So should I be be buying kelp? Stopping milk now or next week? Stocking up on canned milk products produced before this event? Only buying food from some states and not others? Not buying any seafood from the Pacific?

Apologies if these are PIA questions and I'm told where to go, but WS is one of the most trustworthy sources there is, so I hope you don't mind my throwing this out there - it's from someone who is currently a bit at sea with information overload and not knowing how best to interpret it all :blushing:

This topic is now so huuuuuuuge, catching up with what must be almost 2 weeks of posts is now an insurmountable task. How can I find the gems of information I need?

Access to the radar net raw data and various "expert" websites, twitter posters and so on is not too hard to find, but it doesn't mean a lot to me without interpretation and I don't trust mainstream media (see above).

If you were asked to summarize where we are now in 3 sentences, what would you say about where we are now with all this? How should I be preparing myself and my family - what practical steps should I be taking to minimize the impact on the food chain.

I appreciate that opinions here are personal and differ, but I trust WS to give me a common sense answer based on facts that I haven't seen and are now too well buried in all the threads. Maybe there are a handful of posts that are critical reading - a summary - I'm not trying to be lazy, just don't know how to make sense of it all and need help with the shopping list.

The radar net readings around here North East Coast (the ones that are working) seem pretty flat, but I looked at Boston and there was definitely a huge spike there, albeit short lived. I have no idea how to interpret the raw data, and I don't trust the "graphics" they are so easily manipulated, and I don't think any of us are safe.

So should I be be buying kelp? Stopping milk now or next week? Stocking up on canned milk products produced before this event? Only buying food from some states and not others? Not buying any seafood from the Pacific?

Apologies if these are PIA questions and I'm told where to go, but WS is one of the most trustworthy sources there is, so I hope you don't mind my throwing this out there - it's from someone who is currently a bit at sea with information overload and not knowing how best to interpret it all :blushing:

Keep in min d when I say this, I'm just a regular poster. No real experience in anything...in fact, my degree is in criminal justice admin. So not a professional on any of this stuff.

In three sentences: In the attempt to avoid public panic, both the the Japanese and American leaders have done their countries a disservice if not caused direct harm. The Japanese authorities are talking out one side of their mouths to the people and the other side to their allies (Such as requesting 50,000 KI pills.). I think they know more about just how much of what has been released than they are telling us, and they already know that this has caused permanent damage to our food, water, commerce, genetics, and global economy. MOO.

As far as minimizing the effect on the food chain, I don't know. I think that a lot of the damage there has already been done. But protecting yourself...I would pay close attention to where the food you buy comes from and research it first. We already pump radiation in very small doses into some of our U.S. grown and raised foods, and those small amounts + these small amounts might equal some not so small amounts. Switching to powdered milk at least for a little while might not be a bad idea, and lowering radiation exposure from other sources might not be a bad idea, either. Use the stove instead of the microwave, set the cell phone on speaker and put it next to you instead of holding it to your head, waive the non-necessary medical procedures and step away from the gas pump when pumping. Just little stuff, that seems like the only thing we can do right now, is each alter our individual lifestyle in whatever ways we can that will help ourselves and our families.

This may have been posted before...if so, I apologize. It's Gunderson basically explaining the whole process of what could happen and now has. There are other videos on the website as well with interesting information.

I wish he would just have one about a hour long going from a to z with many of the variables possible...but...

[video=vimeo;21599931]http://vimeo.com/21599931[/video]

"Tokyo Electric Power Company says it has detected radioactive substances in underground water at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. TEPCO, operator of the plant, has been checking below-ground water on the advice of the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan."
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...uclear-plant-expect-to-die-mother-of-one-says
Some other interesting blurbs over the last couple of days developments at the link too, but this one concerned me the most.

Japan's nuclear safety agency has ordered a review of the latest radiation measurements around the Fukushima nuclear plant.
The agency said the latest unsafe levels seem suspiciously high, and there may be a problem with the computer program used to analyze the readings.
One of the questionable measurements shows groundwater at the plant has 10,000 times the amount of radiation considered safe.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/world_news&id=8046952
Convenient, huh?

International nuclear experts believe that melted fuel in reactor No. 1 has caused a "localized criticality," which is a small, uncontrolled chain reaction that occasionally emits a burst of heat, radiation and a blue flash of light.

It is not a threat to the area at large, officials say, but could be deadly for workers.

One worker from inside the plant spoke anonymously about safety concerns such as not having enough radiation-detection devices available for workers.

The devices alert workers of too much exposure.
http://abcnews.go.com/International...er-speaks-radiation-dangers/story?id=13271759
I would recommend reading the whole article, but this is about all of it that I can post of it cuz of copyright law.

[video=youtube;vPJLDMIp2JE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJLDMIp2JE[/video]
http://www.salzburg.com/online/home...d7zlZTiq1wsiw1Xi9o pRgLzYM4&img=&text=&mode=
Japan: EU increased radiation exposure limits for food
snip-
The European Commission has opened in the wake of the nuclear disaster in Fukushima a back door for atomic-loaded food imports. By decree of 25 March, increased the radiation exposure limits for imported food from Japan drastically. The Regulation is directly applicable by Member States. By Austria, which has voted in Brussels against the regulation.

Some practical examples: Milk and milk products had previously been a limit of 370 Becquerel (Bq) per kilogram (kg). This limit was raised to 1000 Bq / kg. The limit for baby food has been increased from 370 to 400 Bq / kg, the limit for other food from 600 to 1250 Bq / kg. Certain products such as fish oil or spices should now be contaminated even with 12,500 Bq / kg, which is more than twenty times the previous limit. After taxes the European Greens, the EU limits now higher than in Japan itself

eta-I had to use the google translate tool in order to read article.

The contaminated water is coming from all the water poured onto/into the reactors and is now leaking out....and I wouldn't be surprised if the tunnels that are now full....(where they are now pumping bad water from--- to the tanks, in order to fill again) are leaking as well. I think the quake surely cracked them in a few places. If you think about the dire location of this plant---even if they decided to entomb all four, the radiation would still seep into the ground...and the water level so close to the ground...along with the ocean itself....is inevitable, imo.

What's disturbing too is radiation falling/seeping into their regular water resources. Everything needs water...

I'll do some searching for any kind of demineralizing material to see how much and of what possibly can be absorbed.

A few things I noted from Gunderson's video was:

1. The consequences from 1 fuel pool burning is 137,000 cases of lung cancer.

2. The exposure is now 500 to 1000 times higher now than in any accident analysis that has been done.

I hadn't previously heard about the towers that are adjacent to the reactors that were suppose to suck up extra emissions and spew it high in the air to disperse. Gunderson says they failed because the fans that are used in them ---need electricity. He further stated that the back up pumps (located at oceanside) were destroyed by the tsunami and getting electricity to them was fruitless.

You truly have to wonder if the nuclear engineers who designed this facility had any common sense to go along with their degrees?? LOL... My mother used tell my father (Phd) it's a fact.

""When we have a disaster like we've had with a nuclear power plant in Japan, we're probably going to find things that are truly not a public health risk, but I think it's very difficult for the public to assimilate this information and understand the risks," said Dr. Wally Curran, a radiation oncologist and head of Emory University's Winship Cancer Center.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/31/radiation.us/index.html?hpt=T2

What I understand as well as I want to is any extra radiation is more than anyone needs to have.

My opinion only

So they just keep upping the acceptable limits.........OMG, no worries, sheeple calm down it's all good. pppfffttt.

This is the EPA's monitoring interactive map:
http://www.epa.gov/japan2011/rert/radnet-data-map.html

This is a site I check now and then-- I'm just watching for the warning levels of 100 CPM here:
http://radiationnetwork.com/

This site has a live stream of a Geiger counter in Santa Monica and daily averages:
http://www.enviroreporter.com/2011/03/enviroreporter-coms-radiation-station/

Where we are now?

We are at the point that radioactivity has circled the northern hemisphere. The disaster is ongoing and escalating-- heading toward meltdowns in three reactors. If the reactor cores hit the water table an enormous blast of steam will hit the atmosphere, and much more radiation than we've seen will be carried by the jetstream. JMO

Other than moving to the southern hemisphere, I am at the point of acceptance. I am not a survivalist, I am not going to tape myself into my home and never emerge. Our food and water is already radioactive. I am using iodine solution for my thyroid: a small circle on the abdomen will help keep the thyroid saturated so there's no room for the harmful radiation.

This link will keep you updated: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

I pray for, and mourn, the people of Japan. HTH

So they just keep upping the acceptable limits.........OMG, no worries, sheeple calm down it's all good. pppfffttt.

Thats the thing. They keep upping whats acceptable,but doesn't small amounts on a steady basis add up to one big amount eventually?
I know I've started refusing xrays at the dentist. They claim they only do it once year,but it seems like when I or my family goes for a six month,they always want to do xrays.So we get these little bits in our daily life,then add the stuff from Japan!! ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni