GUILTY Canada - Valentine 'Val' Degenhardt, 45, Barrhead, AB, 17 July 2013

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/family-issues-emotional-plea-for-help-to-find-missing-man-1.1430498

A newly wed is sending out a desperate plea to the public for information about where her husband is.

Valentine Leo Degenhardt was last seen at a gas station in Barrhead, Alberta on July 17, 2013 at about 5:30 p.m. He was reported missing two days later.

The 45-year-old who also goes by Val is from Salmon Arm, British Columbia. He was in the Mornville area visiting family when he went missing.
<modsnip>.

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2...egenhardt-missing-person-investigation-video/

Valentine "Val" Degenhardt is 45 y.o, 5'10", 194 lbs, green eyes, brown and grey hair, and a grey goatie. He was last seen on July 17th at about 5:30 p.m. in Barrhead driving a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the license plate number BJS 0889. He was wearing a black t-shirt with white writing/logo on the front and back, light blue denim shorts, sandals.

Mr. Degenhardt's vehicle:

http://globalnews.ca/news/807067/degenhardt-family-sets-up-reward-fund-to-help-find-missing-man/

Video from security cameras at the Barrhead gas station where Degenhardt was last seen are available on the Alberta Missing Persons website.

“He has several tattoos, he has tattoos on both biceps, and a matching tattoo like mine right here, this is our wedding tattoo,” explained Schmitke-Degenhardt.

http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/images/stories/degenhardt_images.pdf

Video of when he was last seen is found at:

http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/

RCMP search for missing BC man, last seen in Barrhead

“The next morning I phoned his sisters and said something was wrong and one of them went to his house, found the door open, his Jeep Grand Cherokee is gone, he’s gone, items in the house were gone and our two little dogs- who he loves as much as our son- were there running around the yard.”

“Strange items, like three house fans, a crockpot, his big money jar, a vacuum sealer unit,” she said, “cell phone items- the batteries, the chargers- were gone.”

Read more: http://globalnews.ca/news/730934/rcmp-search-for-missing-bc-man-last-seen-in-barrhead/

Question: was the burned out SUV possibly Val's jeep? You piqued my interest, SillyBilly.

This is so doggone strange; it has been over two months. Very sad, and no recent news???

Question: was the burned out SUV possibly Val's jeep? You piqued my interest, SillyBilly.

This is so doggone strange; it has been over two months. Very sad, and no recent news???

Hard to know about the Jeep, Annie ... the article ^^ posted by Attra was July 31, and a more recent article dated August 28 article says:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/28/barrhead-man-missing-mounties-looking-for-help

Meanwhile, police are still trying to locate a burned-out SUV &#8212; which may or may not be connected to the case &#8212; that was observed on a flat deck heavy duty truck on July 30th at approximately 7:30 a.m. The truck was headed southbound on Highway 2 just north of St. Albert.

Valiquette said there is no indication at this time the burned-out SUV is the one police are searching for in the Degenhardt case.

On August 6, the admin on the FB page adamantly stated there was no truth to a rumour that Val's Jeep had been found burned. Sounds to me like the RCMP haven't totally ruled out that the burned Jeep was his because they haven't located it:

https://www.facebook.com/MissingValentineDegenhardt

On another note, his Jeep has been referred to as "dark grey" and on the FB page, it is referred to as "tan" ???? Don't know where that discrepancy might be coming from.

Sorry to be a board hog today, but nobody else is hogging it ;)

IMO, the burned SUV that was spotted should be considered significant until it can be ruled out. Morinville to St. Albert is only a 20 to 30 minute drive south down Hwy 2, so given the proximity to where Mr. Degenhardt was last seen, combined with the fact his vehicle hasn't been located, any sighting of a burned SUV from that area that can't be located is unusual, .

From the above article:

- Val tells his wife he's going to visit an old acquaintance and will call her in 30 mins (never does)
- the acquaintance later tells the wife Val was fine and had the dogs with him
- the next morning, Val's sister goes to his house and finds the door open, the two dogs in the yard, and his jeep and items from inside the house missing

So someone (Val or the acquaintance) must have taken the dogs home. Were the missing items things that could easily be sold for a bit of money?

From the above article:

- Val tells his wife he's going to visit an old acquaintance and will call her in 30 mins (never does)- the acquaintance later tells the wife Val was fine and had the dogs with him
- the next morning, Val's sister goes to his house and finds the door open, the two dogs in the yard, and his jeep and items from inside the house missing

So someone (Val or the acquaintance) must have taken the dogs home. Were the missing items things that could easily be sold for a bit of money?
<bbm>

That's an interesting and narrow window of opportunity there, given that Val had a history of always calling Robyn when he said he would. Also, I find the widgets that were missing from the home pretty small potatoes ... almost like it was made to look like a break-in. If he arrived back at the house to find a B&E in progress, what are the chances the would-be thieves would have a tustle with Val that resulted in his total disappearance, but still place priority on making off with such seemingly unrelated and insignificant items?

Smells of a staging to me. At one point, I considered that Val had a lady on the side and decided to disappear, but the dogs left behind and loose (thus endangered) nixes that idea for me. If he had such a plan to leave, I'm sure he would have found reason to leave his doggies behind in Salmon Arm, with some excuse such as "can't take them to work".

I just realized Morinville to Barrhead is about an hour's drive. Assuming Val was at the house when he told his wife he was going to Barrhead and would call her in 30 minutes, then he must have been planning on calling her from the vehicle. We know he made it to Barrhead that day, from the gas station surveillance. Do we know when the acquaintance supposedly met up with him (i.e. before or after the gas station)? I wonder what the phone pings show.

Also do we know what type of work Val did? Morinville seems like a pretty small town. What opportunities were there that he couldn't find closer to home in BC?

Probably not a lot of opportunity in Morinville itself. Morinville is only about 1/2 hour out of Edmonton. It was also said he was visiting family in the Morinville area. Apparently he (and Robyn?) had a residence there, so could be he would use that as home base for job hunting in Alberta (i.e. lots of oil patch jobs). FWIW, it is also said he had ties to Whitecourt which is about another hour west of Barrhead.

He left Salmon Arm that morning (time unknown). Salmon Arm to Morinville is an 8 1/2 hour drive. The gas station video was around 5:30 pm July 17

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/28/barrhead-man-missing-mounties-looking-for-help

The 45-year-old was last seen on video surveillance around 5:30 p.m. on July 17 at a gas station in Barrhead where he was visiting an acquaintance.

It's not clear, but if "last seen on video" in fact means when he was last seen, that would indicate the gas station stop was after he saw his acquaintance.

I haven't seen anything online that indicates he had visited with family in the Morinville area yet that day.

One thing I noticed in the 2nd video of the gas station stop (when he is shown returning to his vehicle), the fellow a few feet away from Val does a real quick look back over his left shoulder, as if something caught his attention.

If any of the above seems somewhat disjointed, it's because i'm tired and off to bed now before I embarrass myself ;)

Are there any organized searches going on, aerial or otherwise?

His wife must be frantic

Are court records available for Canda like they are in the USA? Wondering what this guy's background is like? Friend that he was going to meet says they met, and he was fine, and had his dogs with him. But he never called the wife back, and said he would. Vehicle gone, he's gone, and weird items from the house gone. Nothing of value reported missing. Strange!

Are there any organized searches going on, aerial or otherwise?

His wife must be frantic

There were searches initially Silky, and I seem to recall reading of an aerial search. It's been over 2 months now, so not sure there are any ongoing.

ETA: Yes, here is some info about aerial searches having been planned. Don't know if they actually took place (will try to find out):

http://www.whitecourtstar.com/2013/07/29/morinville-man-still-missing-without-a-trail

Schmitke is also fundraising to pay for aerial searches via airplane and helicopter. Donations can be made through email money transfer to missingvalentinedegenhardt@gmail.com.

Just a miscellaneous snippet from the same link above that I hadn't seen before (not that it's important):

Schmitke, who grew up in Whitecourt, said that she has even had a teacher from her junior high school come to help with the search efforts.

Val and his brothers have the same tattoo that indicates they were born or grew up in Goodsoil, Saskatchewan.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Val...aid+connection+with+Salmon/9155749/story.html

Murder charge laid in connection with Salmon Arm man who went missing in July

EDMONTON - Two men and a woman have been charged in connection with the disappearance and death of a Salmon Arm man last seen at an Alberta gas station nearly four months ago, RCMP said Tuesday.

But the body of 45-year-old Valentine Degenhardt has yet to be recovered.

On Saturday, Edmonton Major Crimes unit investigators arrested two men and one woman in relation to the disappearance of Degenhardt, who had been reported missing by his spouse on July 19. On July 17, he was seen leaving an acquaintance&#8217;s house in Barrhead, Alta., and later that afternoon was seen at a gas station in that community, his movements captured on videotape.

Norman &#8220;John&#8221; Jerrett, 46, is charged with first-degree murder, robbery, break and enter and indignity to a dead body; Norma McAllister, 45, is charged with accessory after the fact as well as break and enter; and Carl McAllister, 29, is charged with accessory after the fact. All three are from Barrhead and have been remanded in custody to appear in that town&#8217;s provincial court on Nov. 26 ...

I remember reading about this case while on holidays.

I hadn`t heard about his vehicle actually being found.

From SBs link above:

Hikers later came across Degenhardt’s 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee abandoned about 200 kilometres northwest of Edmonton, off Highway 32 between Whitecourt and Swan Hills.

I sure hope he didn`t consider these people his FRIENDS - jeeeezzzzzzzz

RIP Val.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson